Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

"Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero" is a 2016 2D Sidescroller/Metroidvania by Wayforward. It is the fourth game in the Shantae series which started on the Gameboy Color. This is the first HD one! It was successfully kickstarted back in 2013 and came out on pretty much all platforms!

As the name suggests, the games feature a Half Genie called Shantae. Who attacks with her purple hair! This one in particular has some super beautiful art and levels. HGH is a little more dialogue heavy than your typical Metroidvania but no worries, the writing is mostly great!

The game basically feels like it was made for me, as it somehow features most of the things I put in a Game-jam game I made myself years back.

I'll be playing the PC version. It's not a very long game, it has 5 linear levels you can revisit (and will revisit often) and a final 6th one. So the videos are delineated by level (like 1-1 and 1-2 to finish out the first level). Usually there's some set-up before the next level unlocks.

The game also features many different kinds of modes and DLC. They mostly re-use a lot of content/levels. I won't be playing through all of them, maybe show off a few modes or DLC after the main run.

Pandariots aka Sinatrapods or simply Pods will normally be joining me for (most of) the playthrough.

Let's Play & Break?
Not this time! There's not really much to break. It's just a fun, very tight game we're gonna enjoy.

Any place to support you?
Yes! I have a patreon at https://www.patreon.com/jaffy.

You can also find my previous stuff on the kilobops website. Alternatively on LPArchive.org or on my YouTube channel itself.

Finally, you can join my discord if you wish! https://discord.gg/8hgEeuR

Just A Friend fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Steven Universe isn't post apocalypse as it is a world that narrowly avoided an apocalypse, Monster Hunter can be considered post apocalypse though.
Maybe I was thinking of Adventure Time instead. That's probably more correct.

I played it back when Apple Arcade was new and there was only a Part 1. I should play the full thing sometime, and maybe not on iOS haha. But I like what I had played!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

We didn't see much actual game play yet, I didn't want to leave you hanging, so....

Time for P.O.O.P. T.O.O.T.!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Coolguye posted:

it seems like a bit of a tease to comment on how good the music is in this game when you've got it turned down so low that only people who are part bat like me can hear it.
Mixing the audio to a level that pleases everyone is quite tricky. I'll work on the mixing for the next videos, see if we don't get drowned out if I raise it. For now, check out the below link.

DoubleNegative posted:

Also if you want to hear the song from the update more clearly, the woman who sang it uploaded it to her personal channel

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I don't know if your recording/editing process supports it, but have you ever tried auto ducking? I feel like that used to be popular to do with video LPs. or maybe you do that and I just didn't notice

personally though I thought it was fine, but maybe that would be a possible solution for everyone
It does support it! Actually I tried using audacity's auto ducking while editing 1-2, precisely for that song. But we talked so much, there were barely some seconds the full volume was raised up and it just felt annoying more than anything.

Anyway I'm raising the game audio in the act 2 vids, so let me know then if it's any better.

Chimera-gui posted:

While Risky isn't a Genie, at least not to anyone's knowledge, she does possess magic albeit dark magic presumably hence her pale skintone and ability to control the Tinkerbats.

In Pirate's Curse, it's explained that she and the Tinkerbats originally served the Pirate Master: A creature that was frighteningly powerful to the point it took the combined power of all the Genies in Sequin Land to seal him away from the world in a lonely grave on an isolated island at which his first mate Risky Boots inherited his Tinkerbats and Pirate Gear as well as taking his face and turning it into her bustier and belt to add further insult to injury.
Interesting stuff! I'm down to learn some more of the Shantae Lore.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Time for Act 2! Is the audio mixing an improvement?

All Monkey Business here.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Nidoking posted:

Fun Kickstarter facts: Holly's existence in the game was one of the stretch goals. There are two chapters in the game that were added that way, which leaves me wondering how much of the game there would have been had they not met those goals. They also had two chapters that weren't funded, so there could have been even more.

Ohh I didn't know that. As I wasn't a fan of the series just yet, I didn't follow the kickstarted closely. I do know the DLC's that did come were stretch goals.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Beartaco posted:

Why did you decide to LP this one, specifically?

Simply because it's the first one I played and then promptly fell in love with. Still didn't go back and play the older ones, haha.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

*BONK*

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

That Blobfish transformation is absolutely horrible.

This is a blobfish in its natural state:

The meme image they also used at least for the icon for the transformation is the result of bringing it up from the high-pressure ocean depths without precautions, causing it to suffer from a horrible death by explosive decompression.

So that transformation turns you into the reanimated corpse of a fish that died of explosive decompression. Brrr.

Psycho Knight posted:

This level has always been one of the more potentially horrifying things in this normally goofy game series. Like, a ton of mermaids must have been sold as food for him to have a "demand is high, supplies are low" situation. There's also no way that Shantae stopped a production facility designed to turn girls into faux mermaids faster than they could be sold. At least some of those missing girls were eaten by monsters. I don't recall there being any handwave about it either.
Is this game actually horrible? Oh god I don't wanna think about it...

What am I supposed to write here again?

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

quote:

The franchise's fan service
I generally don't particularly like "fan service" but I'd this game is okay though. And I'd prefer to focus on the cute and wholesome parts.

-----

WIIIIIILLLL-BURRRRR!!!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I experience only mild pain watching you Pike Ball your way through screens full of archers and get pelted with arrows, when I'm pretty sure Bubble just negates them completely.
Yeah... I could avoid damage much better. But I guess it’s just easier to just soak up the damage instead. Haha.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

I'm beginning to think this game gets darker the more you think about it! So let's not think, Let's race!

Time for The BIG RACE!!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Nidoking posted:

The race is the other chapter that was a Kickstarter stretch goal. I don't know whether we would have gotten a shorter level without that, or whether this level wouldn't exist, but either way, it feels like this game would have been way too short without the stretch goals we got.

Ohh that makes sense. I like short games these days. I’d say this game is a pretty good length. Could probably do with less mandatory item hunting but I’d see why they wanted to stretch it out that way.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

A little late, sorry for the delay.

SUMMON THE BOYS!!!!!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

The fetch questing ramps up.

In which we get Down with The Sickness

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Nidoking posted:

So when you say the game needs a secret tracker, do you mean one aside from the one that shows you what items are in each stage when you select it on the map? Because I don't think there are any collectables that aren't shown on that.
Yeah I do. If you're missing a key in a level for instance, you have no idea where. And there's a bunch of story related items too that doesn't show up in that list.

-----------

Late again! Sorry scheduling commentary with Pods has been hard. So while we wait for the next episode of the HGH LP; Let's take a peek at the game that started it all!

VICIOGAME channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/viciogame/featured

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Ohh, didn't know Half Genie Hero was such an outlier. I played Seven Sirens Part 1 and now that you mention it, I can recall the different structure. It was buried in my mind though haha.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

In this episode: UNSPEAKABLE DOOM! And monster girls!!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Nidoking posted:

Squid Baron's been a fixture since at least Risky's Revenge. He was the first boss there, somewhat deflated by showing up so early in the game and thus clearly not being any challenge at all. In Pirate's Curse, he was more of a character, even indulging Shantae in a bit of questing before turning up as the third boss, claiming that appearing at the game's midpoint meant he was halfway to greatness. I'll leave it to your imagination what role he might have in Seven Sirens.

Clearly that must mean the Squid Baron game featuring Shantae is in the works!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

CAN'T BEAT 100%* (actually 98* in this ep but okay, you get the point)

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Would YOU like to get Norted?

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Thanks both for the info. Very interesting!

But wait, is she actually called Nega-Shantae? I just... pulled that out of my rear end. Okay! Haha.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Nidoking posted:

It's canon. From the campaign:

That's rad.

We're right at the end of the game!

The finale will premiere on YouTube tomorrow! Check that out here: https://youtu.be/qXCRg_sTzUc

Just A Friend fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 12, 2021

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

That's it for the main game! Thank you so much for joining us on this LP! Look forward to the Pirate Queen DLC videos and whatever's next!!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I wouldn't be opposed to you playing Risky's Revenge, Pirate's Curse and/or Seven Sirens. I know I've spoiled some major plot elements from the first two and something that was implied in the third, but these games are still worth playing from gameplay and charm.

Seven Sirens might be a possibility in the (not very near) future. The rest of em probably not. There’s only so many games one can do!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

I wanted to show off this DLC as I quite liked it! I mean, we play as the villain!!

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

We tackle levels 3 and 4 in this one and get some more cool abilities.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I think this DLC implies that Shantae just beats these guys up and leaves when she shows up and they're committing a villainy. No "you're going to jail!", and she doesn't even confiscate any stolen/illegal/villainy-integral stuff they have. She just gets bored and walks away once they're lying in a twitching heap on the ground.

Or it could just be a technically non-canon just for fun DLC pack re-using the assets from the main game. But where's the fun in that?

Yup that's the way I look at it too. :D

We finish up the DLC, and with that, the LP! A short bonus video for concept art non-withstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

A last little video showing off the Art Gallery in the game. See you soon for the next series!