Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Excellent LP for an excellent game, looking forward to the bonus video.

It's really weird that there are not plans to bring Halo 5 to the PC. Even with its lukewarm reception (and 4 is terrible, so I get it), I'd still play it with my co-op buddy. Easily worth 30-40 bucks. I guess they figure they can't charge full price and then it's not worth it? Guess I'll just have to watch your eventual LP.

4 first, though, I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iirc its come up before and they said it'd be a colossal pain in the rear end to port to MCC, more than the others, due to its code base. Its forge mode and custom games got a Windows port and was kind of busted though.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Leal posted:

So Bungie's first Halo game starts with the Pillar of Autumn and their last game ends with the Pillar of Autumn

It all comes full circle, like some kind of...I can't think of anything.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So, they're glassing the planet and yet they're still sending troops down for ground attacks?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So, they're glassing the planet and yet they're still sending troops down for ground attacks?
They really hate that one guy/gal

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't really like the Cortana retcon. I mean I guess it's kinda neat that by creating/merging her with this Forerunner tech it makes her more of a unique AI, but having her finding Halo be planned (while feigning it being a random jump and seemingly not telling Keyes or Master Chief anything for... reasons?) as some 5D chess play by her (and I guess Halsey kinda sorta) feels dumb.

Anyway, RIP to Noble Six, sorry about the worst first day on the job in history, buddy.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
They called it Halo reach because you need to reach the pillar of autum

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wheany posted:

They called it Halo reach because you need to reach the pillar of autum

Not because of the stretching of the story's plot?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I actually remember liking Halo 4, but I admittedly only played it long after it came out and was expecting it to be worse than it was. There was a lot I didn't like about it, but it hit the right notes at the end. Might have just been feeling depressed and nostalgic and happened to catch it at the right time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Halo 4 has some good things going for it (the sound design for the weapons in particular is stellar) but its plot is questionable at best as this is when they really dove into transmedia storytelling.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Halo 4 asks the important question of "what if the Flood had their own weapons and what if they all sucked infinite rear end"

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Reach was the last Halo game I played, despite reading most of the early books and loving the series. I'm very excited to see what I missed. I have no idea what the story even is I'm halo 4.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have started Halo 4 in the MCC, but I didn't get far before my brain's wandering hyperfixation dragged me elsewhere, and I do not remember what happens in what I've done, or how far I got. So, I'll have some vague deja vu once we get started into that, but I certainly won't know what's going on! Excited for it, and excited for the Special Episode.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

bman in 2288 posted:

All this talk about Halsey in the video, and Keyes showing up. I wasn't around in the thread for Halo 2 and 3 but did you guys ever talk about Keyes and Halsey being a thing for a short while?

Yeah we talked about it a bit when we were discussing Commander Miranda Keyes being their daughter.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I don't really like the Cortana retcon. I mean I guess it's kinda neat that by creating/merging her with this Forerunner tech it makes her more of a unique AI, but having her finding Halo be planned (while feigning it being a random jump and seemingly not telling Keyes or Master Chief anything for... reasons?) as some 5D chess play by her (and I guess Halsey kinda sorta) feels dumb.

I do agree with this. In the original extended canon it still wasn't a blind jump to Halo, but she didn't know anything beyond decoding some data that she thought were coordinates. The idea that she knows about the Forerunners and their tech, but pretends like she doesn't is weird. But they didn't actually change Cortana in any way. She's not part Forerunner or anything, she just knows some stuff about them. I still think the intent wasn't really to change anything about Cortana, but to position Dr Halsey as a Forerunner expert.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Different topic but I was thinking about a funny concession basically every FPS including Halo makes.

The plot tells you "go do the thing at place it's very urgent otherwise hundreds of people will die".

Then after you clear an area of enemies you can just stand around, admire the graphics, smell the flowers (or whatever Grunt blood smells like), as long as you like and nobody minds and the game doesn't progress until you go to the next section of the map.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Different topic but I was thinking about a funny concession basically every FPS including Halo makes.

The plot tells you "go do the thing at place it's very urgent otherwise hundreds of people will die".

Then after you clear an area of enemies you can just stand around, admire the graphics, smell the flowers (or whatever Grunt blood smells like), as long as you like and nobody minds and the game doesn't progress until you go to the next section of the map.

It's always funny when a game does actually include a hidden timer that makes you fail (optional) objectives if you gently caress around too long. Deus Ex Human Revolution's first real level comes to mind.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

"Would you kindly..."

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I never played halo back in the day so it's cool to see what all the hype was about. Before we get into 4, I feel like I've missed a beat on how 3 was meant to resolve - or not -
We saw a schism form in the covenant and now the elites are (mostly?) on our side, the flood turns out to have a big ol' centralised organ for their hivemind, we find the ark out in the middle of nowhere that builds and remotely controls the halos. Covenant leadership and the flood hivemind are conveniently there so we blow it up, then get lost in space.
Did I miss a plot dump, or was this deliberately left open for sequel fodder? Surely there must still be a massive poo poo-fight going on back at home that couldn't have been neatly put to bed by killing only the top brass - there's still a massive empire of religious zealots and a swarm of space zombies considered unstoppable by the forerunners just hanging out. Plus a bunch of as-yet-undiscovered halos waiting to explode and/or unleash more flood when someone wanders around pressing too many buttons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

For years, all we had was the epilogue cinematic as potential sequel bait.

Then Halo 4 came out, and we found out that wanting those sequel hooks followed up on was better than having them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halo 3 was meant to be the end of it and in itself meant to end on a loop; Reach was a love letter Bungie originally didn't want to make. Master Chief goes back into cryo sleep and is woken when you need him. It did still tease a little bit though, like the Forerunner/Marathon planet in the legendary ending cutscene. The setting itself is set up to keep going with this or that but Halo 4 has to retcon a lot to make things go. When Chief says "It's finished," he means it.

Halo 3 had a little companion app/guide thing come out at the same time with the state of the galaxy at the end of it and a little encylopedia of all the Covenant races and how they're doing. Humanity was reduced down to 100 million people at the end of Halo 3. Earth was almost entirely obliterated along with its colonies. The UNSC fleet was reduced to exactly one half of a frigate. Keep that in mind for Halo 4.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 6, 2024

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

halo 4 is really great at a few things:
- sound design of weapons, as mentioned upthread
- there are several encounters you can just run past
- sets everyone's expectations for any future halos

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RBA Starblade posted:

Humanity was reduced down to 100 million people at the end of Halo 3. Earth was almost entirely obliterated along with its colonies. The UNSC fleet was reduced to exactly one half of a frigate. Keep that in mind for Halo 4.

100 million seems absurdly low. Africa was clearly hit super-hard and had to undergo anti-Flood measures to boot but the impression I got was that the invasion of Earth by the Covenant took place in, like, a week? 2 and 3 together?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Covenant would have probably glassed the entirety of Earth within hours if they didn't go there looking for something. Also the Elites DID glass part of Earth to clear the Flood from it. Humanity really didn't stand a chance.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 6, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Regalingualius posted:

Then Halo 4 came out, and we found out that wanting those sequel hooks followed up on was better than having them.

Boy, is that an evergreen statement for so many things.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm replaying the games right now because Halo is fresh on my mind from this and another LP I'm watching. This time, I'm also getting all the collectibles, and I don't know if I missed a discussion about it itt (didn't follow for Halo 3-Wars-ODST) but boy are some of those skulls stupid as hell to get lol

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Simply Simon posted:

I'm replaying the games right now because Halo is fresh on my mind from this and another LP I'm watching. This time, I'm also getting all the collectibles, and I don't know if I missed a discussion about it itt (didn't follow for Halo 3-Wars-ODST) but boy are some of those skulls stupid as hell to get lol

love playing the genocide machine like a really crappy piano so i get funny lines more often

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, the most recent one that everyone loves to make fun of is Breath of the Wild. Zelda keeps saying "I've been holding off Calamity Ganon for 100 years and I don't know how much longer I can hold on..." and Link is just off trying to collect funny hats or whatever.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I never played halo back in the day so it's cool to see what all the hype was about. Before we get into 4, I feel like I've missed a beat on how 3 was meant to resolve - or not -
We saw a schism form in the covenant and now the elites are (mostly?) on our side, the flood turns out to have a big ol' centralised organ for their hivemind, we find the ark out in the middle of nowhere that builds and remotely controls the halos. Covenant leadership and the flood hivemind are conveniently there so we blow it up, then get lost in space.
Did I miss a plot dump, or was this deliberately left open for sequel fodder? Surely there must still be a massive poo poo-fight going on back at home that couldn't have been neatly put to bed by killing only the top brass - there's still a massive empire of religious zealots and a swarm of space zombies considered unstoppable by the forerunners just hanging out. Plus a bunch of as-yet-undiscovered halos waiting to explode and/or unleash more flood when someone wanders around pressing too many buttons.

So the Flood should be all gone, or at least the active uncontained infection. Everyone thought that the Ark was safe from the Halos, so the Flood went there, and no one expected them to blow up a Halo in close proximity.

As for the Covenant and its various member species, yeah it's complicated. Almost all of the Prophets would have been on High Charity, so they're effectively extinct, although there's probably a few survivors out there. Lots of the remaining peoples just went back to their home planet to figure out what to do now, but there's a bunch of remnant factions and aimless fleets out causing trouble.

RBA Starblade posted:

Halo 3 was meant to be the end of it and in itself meant to end on a loop; Reach was a love letter Bungie originally didn't want to make. Master Chief goes back into cryo sleep and is woken when you need him. It did still tease a little bit though, like the Forerunner/Marathon planet in the legendary ending cutscene. The setting itself is set up to keep going with this or that but Halo 4 has to retcon a lot to make things go. When Chief says "It's finished," he means it.

Halo 3 had a little companion app/guide thing come out at the same time with the state of the galaxy at the end of it and a little encylopedia of all the Covenant races and how they're doing. Humanity was reduced down to 100 million people at the end of Halo 3. Earth was almost entirely obliterated along with its colonies. The UNSC fleet was reduced to exactly one half of a frigate. Keep that in mind for Halo 4.

I'd be interested in seeing that rundown. The specifics don't sound familiar to me, and seem a lot more pessimistic than what I had in my head canon.

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, I mostly ignored them since I'm not trying to make a collectibles guide, but some of them are definitely a pain in the rear end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

As for the Covenant and its various member species, yeah it's complicated. Almost all of the Prophets would have been on High Charity, so they're effectively extinct, although there's probably a few survivors out there. Lots of the remaining peoples just went back to their home planet to figure out what to do now, but there's a bunch of remnant factions and aimless fleets out causing trouble.

I'd be interested in seeing that rundown. The specifics don't sound familiar to me, and seem a lot more pessimistic than what I had in my head canon.

I don't know if it's still up or preserved anywhere - it was a 360 app thing back when companion apps were popular.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know if it's still up or preserved anywhere - it was a 360 app thing back when companion apps were popular.

Oh yeah, I remember that 2-week period

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I feel like I missed something in the last video - what's causing the huge glowing storm over the shipbreaking yards?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

RBA Starblade posted:

Ohhhh ok, yeah you're probably talking about Halo Waypoint, which was supposed to be a content hub app at some point. I think it still exists, but they migrated to a website and a lot of stuff got lost in repeated redesigns and reorganizations.

I actually remember years ago I was replaying some Halo 4 on my Xbone and the terminals were broken because they linked out to Halo Waypoint for the videos and the app didn't work anymore. Stupid poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I feel like I missed something in the last video - what's causing the huge glowing storm over the shipbreaking yards?

Dramatic causality mostly. But I think its supposed be clouds of ash and dry lightning like you get in volcanic eruptions, except caused by whole cities getting glassed.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I figured it might have been an "honor" thing, or a need to show proof of death for some reason. We kinda saw that in Halo 2 where the Elites were upset that their attempt to kill or capture Master Chief was called off in lieu of an orbital strike after Regret's death. Or they just assumed that an orbital strike on a Forerunner facility would be heresy and were surprised that the Prophets went that route.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, all these people talking about how the series writing takes a swan dive off a cliff and the ending story and stuff, and then there's me sitting over here still laughing at the absolute deadeye marine you handed the spartan laser off to.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, all these people talking about how the series writing takes a swan dive off a cliff and the ending story and stuff, and then there's me sitting over here still laughing at the absolute deadeye marine you handed the spartan laser off to.

Well, it's a metaphor for the series writing from... Oh gosh Halo 3 onwards, I guess.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Dramatic causality mostly. But I think its supposed be clouds of ash and dry lightning like you get in volcanic eruptions, except caused by whole cities getting glassed.
I think it's also meant to be one last bit of visual storytelling: Noble Six's first day on Reach was a nice, calm and clear day, whereas their last day is this chaotic, depressing and bleak day.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Grammarchist posted:

I figured it might have been an "honor" thing, or a need to show proof of death for some reason.
Probably some combination of "this fucker has lived through too much to assume a bombardment will work" and the fact that they still had ground objectives to secure. Remember, Reach had a lot of Forerunner crap, they were never going to glass the whole thing without a very long campaign to pick all of that out first.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
If it is the same Field Marshall throughout the whole game, then he's aware that there's something down there, and that six whole Spartans are involved, so it's possible that all these Covenant forces are his, trying his best to get whatever it that's so important.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Isn't it the future arbiter?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

he's the supreme commander of the fleet at reach, not a field marshal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

biosterous posted:

he's the supreme commander of the fleet at reach, not a field marshal

Of the second fleet to arrive at Reach, even. The Field Marshal was with the first wave.