Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The country for a .me domain would be Middle East of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Just, for like, clarification's sake, jihad does not mean holy war. It means struggle. It's not religious in nature. "Holy war" is just something American newscasters started saying to get more views and now it's taken over the original meaning in English speaking countries.

It's a pet peeve.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cradok posted:

Who's to say they didn't and Jorge hoofed them off the corvette too. A Spartan-II could probably do them both at the same time.

Would they have survived the deorbit like Noble Six did, not being Spartans themselves?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Would they have survived the deorbit like Noble Six did, not being Spartans themselves?

If they had armor lock on at the right time :v:

SWORDFISHHH
Apr 1, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

Just, for like, clarification's sake, jihad does not mean holy war. It means struggle. It's not religious in nature. "Holy war" is just something American newscasters started saying to get more views and now it's taken over the original meaning in English speaking countries.

It's a pet peeve.

Thanks for the clarification. I only knew of the term from Dune, the band AJJ, and growing up in the early 2000s.

Edit: Also baba ghanoush is not Hungarian. I assumed it was because the first time I had it was with a Hungarian doctor

SWORDFISHHH fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 13, 2024

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Well, Six survived because he had a re-entry pack, and those seem to be standard issue for aerospace operations, so... yeah?

Like, Six didn't just surf the suit down. Even the Chief couldn't pull that off.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

bman in 2288 posted:

It's a pet peeve.

Huh, interesting. I did know that the literal translation of the word was something more generic, but I thought "holy war" was the proper contextual usage. I didn't realize that was a westernization. As Swordfishhh said, it was used that way in Dune and that was written all the way back in the 60s.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ablative posted:

Well, Six survived because he had a re-entry pack, and those seem to be standard issue for aerospace operations, so... yeah?

Like, Six didn't just surf the suit down. Even the Chief couldn't pull that off.

It's kind of hard to say. Noble Six is the only one shown wearing one, but I wouldn't think they were Mjolnir specific gear. The best rationalization I can come up with is that all the other pilots were wearing them in the Sabres, but took them off when they boarded the Corvette because they're heavy. Noble Six just kept his on since the weight didn't bother him at all.

Grammarchist posted:

I love these little moments where a Halo protagonist has no real goal or guidance and just improvises to the sound of the guns.

Yeah it's kinda nice. The Mickey level of ODST was like that too. Just trying to make yourself useful as the world goes to hell around you.

Cloud Potato posted:

I never knew Canada had so many Killbots!

There are dozens of us!

(I actually don't know what you're talking about)

edit: oh the email chat. I actually have a pretty rare last name so it wasn't a problem, although one of my brothers had to do "Lastname.Firstname" since the other way around was taken for him.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 13, 2024

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Two things I noticed in comparison to our recent Legendary playthrough:

We were stuck for half an hour getting owned by those turrets covering the door, and you tell me there's been a balcony overlooking them all this time? fffff

And during the flight segment, I was wondering if you weren't, like, in trouble. Then you looked back...

...yeah you can't ignore even one of those on Legendary. It was pretty tough to get through the railshooter even with two people manning the guns, crazy that you can just go "oh Banshees? Whatever"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Have we ever seen an objective flash like that for a Spartan before?

e: The gently caress, why won't it start at the proper time? It should start at 14:10 (850 seconds), but the video keeps jumping back 20 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmOYGR3HJfc&t=850s

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 16, 2024

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

e: The gently caress, why won't it start at the proper time? It should start at 14:10 (850 seconds), but the video keeps jumping back 20 seconds.

Reach is the only game that's had this, I think. You can see it a few times up to this point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Grunt suicide squads are indeed a thing in the lore, they're supposed to be grunt penal battalions tasked with finding redemption in death. Brute commanders later in the war have activation codes to prime the plasma grenades on any grunt under their command.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Part of me was expecting the transports to get vaporized by plasma the second 6 turned his back.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, this is a Reach thing. It actually happened at the very beginning of the game during the inverted/non-inverted check. It's interesting, it only happens if you look towards an objective during a specific time window from when the objective becomes active. Some of them are easy to miss just because you don't look in the right direction.

Cythereal posted:

Grunt suicide squads are indeed a thing in the lore, they're supposed to be grunt penal battalions tasked with finding redemption in death. Brute commanders later in the war have activation codes to prime the plasma grenades on any grunt under their command.

Gross.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The lore of the Grunts is one of the more :stare: things if you dive into Halo lore beyond the games. The Prophets are terrified of the Grunts and regret uplifting them because they do the krogan thing from Mass Effect where the Grunt homeworld is so absurdly lethal that the Grunts have to breed like rabbits just to sustain their species, and when removed from that environment immediately start reproducing out of control. The Prophets resorted to extreme lengths of oppression and indoctrination in an effort to keep the Grunts in line, and one of the bloodiest conflicts in Covenant history before humanity was a civil war started by the Grunts rebelling.

Post Halo 3, everyone in the galaxy is concerned that should life ever stop kicking the Grunts in the collective gonads for a few years they might become a serious galactic power in their own right.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The lore of the Grunts is one of the more :stare: things if you dive into Halo lore beyond the games. The Prophets are terrified of the Grunts and regret uplifting them because they do the krogan thing from Mass Effect where the Grunt homeworld is so absurdly lethal that the Grunts have to breed like rabbits just to sustain their species, and when removed from that environment immediately start reproducing out of control. The Prophets resorted to extreme lengths of oppression and indoctrination in an effort to keep the Grunts in line, and one of the bloodiest conflicts in Covenant history before humanity was a civil war started by the Grunts rebelling.

Post Halo 3, everyone in the galaxy is concerned that should life ever stop kicking the Grunts in the collective gonads for a few years they might become a serious galactic power in their own right.

Grunts, or: Halo's Krogans

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hit at the Yipyap and you get the clapback

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

That might lead to a very weird and interesting stalemate if someone were to drop some Flood on the Grunt homeworld.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Good thing that there are a trillion of me waiting at home ‘cause, man, whew, have I worked up a big, Grunty thirst for power.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Good thing the Halo Universe never got around to exploring the Slam Sector. Scrunts and Grunts would probably get along.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

07 - New Alexandria

The UNSC tries to get around Covenant jamming efforts as the city burns around them.

Ablative posted:

Grunts, or: Halo's Krogans

I mean, I can kinda see the resemblance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Talking about All the Mods and trees reminds me of this thing I made in ATM8

A bunch of different logs and leaves grafted together as the magic mod in this pack has a creature that will harvest logs and fruits off nearby logs and leaves. This was pulling in about 20 different logs and nearly 30 types of fruits

Also I never realized Buck was actually in this game, thats a nice callback

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Ahhh, New Alexandria. The best and worst level in the game. That hospital killed every attempt I've ever made at a Legendary run of Reach.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Kat, let's be honest. We Lost the moment their response to the Supercarrier going down was to warp in a fleet half the size of the drat planet. Everything after that point is stalling and getting anything and everything you can offworld.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Someone pointed out that Kat getting taken out by a single bullet was a bit... anti-lore. I'm inclined to agree. It seems especially egregious since in the scene running up to it, Kat was the last to put on the helmet. I somehow feel it would have been more fitting if they were taken out because they were too slow in putting their helmet back on.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
That was some piss-poor covering your teammates from Three, Four and Six, and general lack of good tactics from the whole fireteam.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I forgot how futile this game makes you feel.

Like in the halo 1 and 2 games you're this bad rear end, one man army who saves the day, while so far in this game you're barely keeping your head above water.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Samovar posted:

Someone pointed out that Kat getting taken out by a single bullet was a bit... anti-lore. I'm inclined to agree. It seems especially egregious since in the scene running up to it, Kat was the last to put on the helmet. I somehow feel it would have been more fitting if they were taken out because they were too slow in putting their helmet back on.

the glassing acting as an emp that scrambled their shields is an easy enough handwave. has some support in their radios being cutoff, and the elevator struggling to start (elevator could be shielded so it still functions). once shields are off spartans can be killed by a single headshot from a precision weapon (as seen in multiplayer)

but to really sell it they would've needed either a voiceline or to have the sparkly shield low effect.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Maybe just the busted shield glass break noise and 0 shield alarm effects.

Also, I was going to ask if we knew in game what the Covenant were looking for here on reach, but it turns out that was answered at the end of the video.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a combo of her shields still being out not being well telegraphed combined with Bungie originally wanting her to get sniped but not actually putting a Covenant sniper unit in Reach that makes it a little awkward

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe just the busted shield glass break noise and 0 shield alarm effects.

Also, I was going to ask if we knew in game what the Covenant were looking for here on reach, but it turns out that was answered at the end of the video.

Aren't they looking for Master Chief? Is he even on Reach?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Samovar posted:

Mazerunner posted:

the glassing acting as an emp that scrambled their shields is an easy enough handwave. has some support in their radios being cutoff, and the elevator struggling to start (elevator could be shielded so it still functions). once shields are off spartans can be killed by a single headshot from a precision weapon (as seen in multiplayer)

but to really sell it they would've needed either a voiceline or to have the sparkly shield low effect.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a combo of her shields still being out not being well telegraphed combined with Bungie originally wanting her to get sniped but not actually putting a Covenant sniper unit in Reach that makes it a little awkward

Yeah, Kat's death kinda hits you because it's so sudden and unexpected, but it also feels very "cheap". I do think it would have been better if she kept running while carrying her helmet, but that would have made her seem kinda dumb, and getting shot through the head would be graphic in a way that Bungie has kind of avoided being.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I forgot how futile this game makes you feel.

Like in the halo 1 and 2 games you're this bad rear end, one man army who saves the day, while so far in this game you're barely keeping your head above water.

They do a really good job of walking a tough line. Making the player feel like they are successfully winning battles by completing objectives, without making them frustrated about the fact that the war is clearly being lost around them.

Outpost22 posted:

Aren't they looking for Master Chief? Is he even on Reach?

Master Chief is indeed on (or around) Reach, but the Covenant isn't looking for him. The specific reputation as The Demon that he ends up getting happens because of his actions on Halo.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

I don't remember from the books (which I think this game deviates from), having read them 22 years ago, but what spart does John play in the book, if any?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I don't remember from the books (which I think this game deviates from), having read them 22 years ago, but what spart does John play in the book, if any?

He's either currently on the Pillar of Autumn or raiding a space station and wiping out a ship with coordinates to Earth.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
We got a cameo from Buck from ODST, does that mean we also get a cameo from Master Chief?

(If that's a spoiler you can ignore my question)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

90 million roentgens is a lot of roentgens, if Chernobyl taught me anything.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i always justified it as the radiation/emp knocking out the shields, and since kat took a while to put her helmet on afterwards the suit wasn't able to properly start charging the shields again. needs continuous surface area, something something, sci-fi is magic anyway

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

90 million roentgens is a lot of roentgens, if Chernobyl taught me anything.

90 million, not great, not terrible

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Quoth Randall Munroe, "you would just stop being biology and start being physics."

(Shockingly, there doesn't seem to be much research into what happens when you get exposed to a hundred thousand times a fatal radiation dose.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I hate Kat's death here.

The one female Spartan on camera in the entire series that I've played, and she's the only Spartan who's just... killed, not even going out doing something heroic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So Swordfishhh was helping me record some bonus video stuff the other night. Usually I force Steam to let me run an older version of MCC so I can cheat in a walk button, but for co-op I had to use the most recent version. Turns out with the last update they added subtitles for the in-game dialogue, where they used to only have them in cutscenes. I've been manually adding the dialogue subtitles since Halo 2, and now that I'm done with the games that don't have subtitles, they've added them. It's great that they did finally add them, and there's actually a ton of accessibility options with them, but what terribly annoying timing for me personally.

Cradok posted:

Quoth Randall Munroe, "you would just stop being biology and start being physics."

I like that quote a lot.

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I hate Kat's death here.

The one female Spartan on camera in the entire series that I've played, and she's the only Spartan who's just... killed, not even going out doing something heroic.

Huh, I hadn't actually thought about it like that. I'm sure her death is supposed to be a big "Oh poo poo!" moment that doesn't quite land. But even if it had, she's still treated as a tragic casualty compared to Jorge's heroic sacrifice taking out a whole supercarrier.