Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Flood being super accurate with rocket launchers is much worse in the original game where this level is visually much darker and easier to get lost in if you lose Guilty Spark. You think you're finally going the right way because you see red on your radar and then suddenly boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nice of the developers to always leave you two ghosts for if you're playing co-op.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's interesting that they use a kind of documentary-style, 'found footage' style for a lot of the long-distance or outer space shots. Like the imaginary camermaman is thinking "wait, what's that over there" and zooming in.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

To me this is interesting because I've only played Halo 3 in co-op.

In which case the Arbiter doesn't get as much dialogue in levels and is the Chief's buddy following him around.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kibayasu posted:

I know its mostly a space war and planets just end up getting blown up but with tanks like they have you have to wonder how the humans lost any battle at all.

Lore-wise it sure looks like the Covenant are able to field a lot more Wraiths than humans can field tanks.

'Anti-air wraiths' are supposedly capable to tearing up ships, as we hear numerous times in the videos, so presumably just getting tanks to a battle is arduous in itself.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The fun take I've seen in a couple of bits of scifi (including one from a goonmade project) is that the reason most alien species are so regressive or uncurious compared to 'those enterprising humans' is actually a survival trait.
The galaxy is full of horrible civilization-ending stuff like the Flood and other gribblies where one dumb innocent mistake could set off a cascade of problems. Most alien species have thus learned to stay in their lane and stay safe, but humans haven't had a civilisation-ender they triggered yet.

I think this actually gets brought up in Mass Effect, where when they made first contact, humans were seen as dangerously reckless for reactivating a dormant mass relay without knowing where it actually goes.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'll never get over the suit having a wank function.

Sadly it does not, that was a made up piece of fiction as Brian David Gilbert was sad to report after reading every Halo novel.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I thought that 20kg is an absurd weight for a sniper rifle but since I know very little about firearms I went on a wikipedia journey and found out that while the Barrett is about 10kg, there are heavier rifles in use today, like the Polish WKW Wilk at 16kg.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The ending of this level always seemed a little anticlimactic to me. Sure, there's the approaching carrier in the background, but otherwise it's kind of just a pleasant sunset and other than the waves of enemies it doesn't feel as 'final' as the finales of the other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RBA Starblade posted:

Humanity was reduced down to 100 million people at the end of Halo 3. Earth was almost entirely obliterated along with its colonies. The UNSC fleet was reduced to exactly one half of a frigate. Keep that in mind for Halo 4.

100 million seems absurdly low. Africa was clearly hit super-hard and had to undergo anti-Flood measures to boot but the impression I got was that the invasion of Earth by the Covenant took place in, like, a week? 2 and 3 together?