Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Let’s be honest. If you’re reading this thread, you’ve heard of Halo. It’s one of Microsoft’s flagship franchises for the Xbox. It has spawned, as of writing this, 7 main games, 5 spin-off games, 31 novels, 15 comics/graphic novels, a handful of short films, and also action figures, Lego Mega Bloks sets, and Nerf guns. It helped popularize console online gaming, start the stereotype of the frat bro gamer, and bring esports into the mainstream with Major League Gaming (MLG).

On a personal note, Halo is also one of the things that helped me make some of my closest friends, including my co-commentators Swordfishhh and Cletus. Countless evenings and weekends were spent playing co-op and multiplayer, or searching for secrets and easter eggs. Even as we went to university and moved away to different cities, we could always get together for a few games or send each other messages speculating on what would be coming next in the series.

For this LP, we’re going to be taking a nostalgic look back on all of the main games. I’m also going to be gearing these videos towards viewers who aren’t familiar with anything Halo, so I would ask that no one posts spoilers or any deep dives into the extended universe canon (at least until it becomes relevant to what we’re showing).

Also, you can follow me on Twitter for updates if you’re into the bird site.

Previously Played (click the banner):

Currently Playing:

Halo: Reach was released in September 2010 and is the fifth main Halo game (not counting Halo Wars). As with the previous four, Reach was published by Microsoft Game Studios and developed by Bungie, but it is notably the last entry in the series that Bungie would be involved with. Compared to Halo: ODST, Reach is a more "classic" and full-featured Halo game. It includes a full-length linear campaign, local and online multiplayer, Firefight mode, and the Forge level/gametype editor.

One of the things that makes Halo: Reach so interesting is that it is a prequel, taking place in the days and weeks before the events of the first Halo game. The game is named after the planet Reach, humanity's largest military stronghold and, in the year 2552, considered one of the last places safe from the Covenant. We play as Noble Six, the newest member of Noble Team, a special Spartan fireteam assigned to the UNSC Army to assist in ground-based defensive operations. At the beginning of the game, Noble Team is stationed on Reach to help root out some local Insurrectionist activity. However they soon find themselves fighting a much more dangerous enemy in a hopeless battle for the planet's survival.

01 - Winter Contingency
02 - ONI: Sword Base
03 - Nightfall
04 - Tip of the Spear
05 - Long Night of Solace
06 - Exodus
07 - New Alexandria
08 - The Package
09 - The Pillar of Autumn
XX - Bonus Content

E3 2009 Announce Trailer
The Day Before
Birth of a Spartan
Deliver Hope

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Halo: Combat Evolved, also known as Halo 1 or just Halo, was released in 2001 along with the first Xbox console. It was published by the new Microsoft Game Studios and developed by Bungie, who had been acquired by Microsoft just the year before. It was absolutely the Xbox’s killer app, and one of the reasons for the console’s commercial success. A PC version of the game was released in 2003, a remastered and graphically updated version in 2011, and then re-released another 2 times in a collection on separate platforms. The game had a very strange development cycle. It originally started as a Mac exclusive real time strategy game. From there it turned into a third-person shooter, and then eventually into the first-person shooter we know today. We play as the Master Chief, a cyborg supersoldier fighting aliens in the distant future, though I assure you it’s more interesting than that synopsis makes it sound.

01 - The Pillar of Autumn
02 - Halo
03 - Truth and Reconciliation
04 - The Silent Cartographer
05 - Assault on the Control Room
XX - Halo Development History Post
06 - 343 Guilty Spark
07 - The Library
08 - Two Betrayals
XX - Warthog Jumping
09 - Keyes
10 - The Maw
XX - Alternate Warthog Run (April Fools)

Original TV Commercial
Alternate TV Commercial (note the Marathon logo in the bottom right)
Promotional Video
Launch Party Intro Video
Devs React to Halo Speedrun (spoilers for entire game)

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 28, 2021

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

01 - The Pillar of Autumn

Let's get this thing started. Out in deep space, under assault by an alien menace, and above a mysterious ringworld.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
The mythical quadruple-post to start a thread. Just wanted to mention a couple things here.

First, we haven't really figured out how to show any multiplayer content yet. The active player numbers are pretty small making it difficult to find games. I'd love to organize some goon custom games to record, so if you're interested please let me know.

Second, make sure you take a look at the videos I have under Links. They are really interesting relics from the past.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I'm actually relieved to see so many people who are unfamiliar with Halo. I wasn't sure about the plan to gear the LP towards that kind of audience. I hope you guys will continue posting your thoughts and reactions to all the stuff coming up.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I didn't get into Halo until 3, but my friend group has a similar story with the series. Ever since we graduated from college in 2009, we had a weekly game night where we all got together and system-linked a few 360s together to play Halo. When Reach came out in 2010, we started playing that at our game nights and basically never stopped. We played other games too (including Halo 4 :v:), but they always eventually got discarded in favor of going back to Reach. Then when the pandemic started we started doing our game nights online, and Reach was the first game we played.

My wife, who had never held a controller before, now knows how to play FPS games because of Halo. My friends and I started up one of our usual Slayer games, handed her a controller and promised not to kill her, and then gave her a Gravity Hammer and told her to go nuts. It is the single greatest custom game we have ever created and it eventually developed an entire metagame around evading the hammer and leading the other players into her vision range so she would smack them instead of you. And now she happily plays games like Destiny because of how our custom game taught her to move and aim in an FPS in a low-stress (and hilarious) situation.

I can't put into words what makes Halo so perfectly suited to a small group of friends shouting in a living room, but by God there is no other game that comes close in that department. Maybe it's the huge variety of weapons, maybe it's all the different maps and vehicles, maybe it's the visual and sound design, or maybe it's just the sheer level of customization you can put into maps and gametypes. I don't know what it is, but Bungie's Halo games had it, and with LAN play going the way of the dinosaur in favor of online play, I don't know if another game will ever live up to Halo's magic.

I really love stories like this, and I agree that I don't know why it seems to work so well with Halo. Perfect Dark was just as customizable in its multiplayer, but even playing that with friends never led to the idea of creating our own custom games with honor rules, or the type of exploration and experimentation the way Halo did.

Carbon dioxide posted:

In other words, Lagrange points are one of the few things that cannot be realistically modelled in KSP. You'll learn a lot about spaceflight playing KSP, but not about Lagrange points.

Most of what I know about Lagrange points I learned from the KSP thread lol

Samovar posted:

In truth, I never played this beyond the first game since it was Xbox exclusive afterwards. I just remember being blown away by the size of the maps and the A.I.

Edit: I'm sure they changed the last cutscene. Didn't MC reply to the marine who says if they're gonna make it originally?

No, it was like that in the original. Some cutscenes are actually slightly different, but they're still in-engine and with the original dialogue, so the changes are just slightly different timing or camera angles.

anilEhilated posted:

I got a bit of an ambivalent relationship with this series. I played the PC port of Halo back in the 2000s and was extremely unimpressed, last year I got the MCC and playing through it it turned out Halo 2 and 3 are actually pretty good even now. 1 is still a stinker, though.

Halo 1 is definitely a less polished game. I made a small mention of its weird development, and I do have some more to say about that later. They were a relatively small studio that got bought by Microsoft a year and a half before the Xbox launch, and not only changed their game from a third-person shooter to a first-person shooter, but they had to finalize the story and characters and get it to run on a brand new console in that short time. The other games had their own development challenges which we can talk about when we get there, but they also started getting AAA resources and support.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

As a Nintendo homer, I too never played Halo

I knew about from cultural osmosis, but never figured why it blew up the way it did

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after the next video. I think that level does a way better job of showing what made Halo stand out.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

White Coke posted:

What is it about Halo: Reach that doesn't fit with the others? Is this an issue of lore or gameplay?

So there is actually a whole lore "issue" with Halo: Reach, but that's a topic for another time.

It's a prequel to the rest of the Halo games, so where it fits narratively is at the start, and then the very end of Reach leads into the very start of Halo 1. My issue is that I don't want to play it there because the game is built on 4 other Halo games, so mechanically it's jumping into the deep end as far as weapons, enemies, vehicles, and game mechanics goes. If you play it in release order so it works better mechanically it ends up as a flashback intermission between Halo 3 and Halo 4, which would be fine except Halo: ODST is already there and works way better as an intermission in my opinion. Halo: Reach just makes that intermission overly long and ends up feeling like even more of a departure narratively at that point. Basically neither option really feels right from an LP point of view.

EggsAisle posted:

Now that brings back memories. I worked at a Lego store for several years in the early 2010's, and one of the questions customers asked all the time was "Where are the Halo Legos?" The answer was that there was no such thing; there were Halo-themed construction toys, but they were manufactured by Mega Bloks, basically a knock-off brand. One time a lady was convinced I was lying to her or something, kept insisting she'd seen them online. She proceeds to take out her phone and triumphantly shoves it in my face a few seconds later, with an image on it. I gently point out the Mega Bloks logo on it, and she rolls her eyes, gives an offended huff, and leaves the store. A very mild frustrated customer story, especially considering it was retail, but very memorable for some reason.

Huh, well I guess count me as one of those people. You're totally right, it's all Mega Bloks or Mega Construx.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Cythereal posted:

Bit of a shame, as far as I know Reach is the only game in the series that lets you play as a woman, from what I've heard through online osmosis.

There is a later game in the series that let's you play as a lady Spartan, but the details of that would be spoilers at this point.

Edit: I guess it should be pointed out that while there are female playable characters, Master Chief would still be considered the "main" character in that game's narrative.

But yes, Reach is a really good game and the way they use your personalized Spartan as the main character is one of the excellent things it does. I do hope I get a chance to LP it, but it would be after I get through the rest of the main ones and decide which of the others to show off.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 14, 2021

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

02 - Halo

With our feet on solid ground(?) we round up other human survivors so we can keep fighting the Covenant.

I wasn't going to post this until later this afternoon, but you guys are so active this morning I might as well do it now.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Simply Simon posted:

Lots of words

This is great because so much of it exactly mirrors my experiences. Even down to not knowing what "The Pillar of Autumn" was and not realizing the inside of the ring was habitable.

And yeah the MCC is broken in a bunch of ways. It's actually waaaayyyyy better than it was when it originally launched on Xbone.

PizzaProwler posted:

'Perfect Dark' had one in 2000.

Holy poo poo, I love this game and it didn't even cross my mind when I thought of weapon wheels.

El Spamo posted:

We noticed them arrows and I think we had some joke along the lines of "hey look, directions for idiots!" and "well, you are an idiot" so they were fun. Being able to actually get lost in a space that wasn't intentionally trying to misdirect you (maze levels in say doom/marathon) was new-ish. I have a hard time thinking of another shooter at or before that time that had big open spaces like Halo did that you could actually get turned around in.

The map design definitely has some issues, especially indoor environments. We will be talking about that a bit later when it becomes more relevant. I know I would totally get lost in a couple of Perfect Dark levels, like the Area 51 ones.

El Spamo posted:

The modern remasters of course look really nice especially compared to the original, but the original graphics were no slouch and I relish the nostalgia of seeing them. Since they're there and available, spend a little more time with the old graphics and let us really see how well they did back then and how much things have changed for today.

So I will show off the original graphics in every video, but they're static showcases. Maybe I'll think about a bonus video showing some actual action in the original graphics.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

I assumed Cortana meant "there's one pod left in this area" rather than "there's one pod left on the entire ship".

e: Also, last to leave doesn't always mean last to arrive.

Yeah, I'm thinking some lifeboats took a more circuitous route down, maybe if they launched from the other side of the Autumn. Although the real answer is probably just "narrative causality".

White Coke posted:

How unevenly matched are the two sides? The Covenant seem to have superior technology and greater numbers.

White Coke posted:

Is Humanity better at technological advancement? Humans doing better at improving technology, or just more creative and unpredictable, than a more advanced enemy is a common trope.

In general, humans are able to hold their own and often actually win ground engagements, especially if they have Spartans. As others have said, it turns out conventional weaponry is still drat good at killing things no matter how advanced they are. However in space battles, Covenant just destroy humans, which is why they rarely engage on the ground. The math is something like 3 or 4 human ships to every Covenant ship for them to have a chance to win (with heavy losses). Of course, the opening cutscene shows that having an AI as smart as Cortana running your fire control can give you a pretty big edge.

There is also some stuff about humanity being good at adaptation. For example the Master Chief's shields only exist because they copied the Elites technology, and his are better. The reason for it isn't exactly "humans are special" though, but I don't want to get into it because we don't know enough yet.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What you said about the vehicles and level design makes some sense from a technical level and breaking new ground. The other smash hit FPS around time was Half-Life, which had an entirely different narrative and gameplay structure compared to every other FPS. And infinite modability

I'm not a big FPS guy, so a lot of stuff looks the same to me. The shooting aspects don't seem particulary different than other games. Tho the Needler is cool looking

Yeah Half-Life is definitely a big one. Their whole story-telling thing where you never lose control of the character (except being knocked out once) so the whole game is essentially an entirely unbroken narrative is super impressive. Typing that I realized that it's the exact same approach that the movie 1917 took too, which was also very impressive. Also, there's a Half-Life "megathread" going on right now where Blastinus is planning on showing off every Half-Life sequel/derivative. Check it out if you want to see another huge influential franchise.

As well, one of the things about FPS games that's hard to quantify is how the shooting "feels". All the Bungie Halo games, and Destiny games after, the shooting just feels really good, but again I can't really say why.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

White Coke posted:

If nothing else, a technologically inferior enemy has the advantage of being able to reverse engineer their enemies' superior technology to close the gap.

I might call that a "silver lining" more than an "advantage". And you'd have to do so pretty quickly when that technologically superior enemy is trying to do a full genocide/xenocide.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

03 - Truth and Reconciliation

A dangerous mission, in unfamiliar territory, to rescue the Captain.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

BlazetheInferno posted:

Also, as far as I know, this is the only time in Halo 1 where human NPCs wield Covenant weaponry.

There is actually one other time but it's actually kind of subtle. We will mention it when it happens but erroneously call it the "first" time it happens.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

theenglishman posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong on this, but I was the under the impression that Sgt. Johnson was a unique marine character model that got popular enough to spin off into a proper character with a retconned backstory — kind of like Barney from Half-Life. I don’t think they even mention Johnson by name outside of that one launch event, do they?

You're pretty much dead on, yeah. I actually have a video essay style video to go between Halo 1 and Halo 2 and about half of it is talking about Sgt. Johnson. But for now, he's just one of the guys.

edit: Your Barney comparison is actually really good. I wish I thought of it when I was working on that video.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

04 - The Silent Cartographer

We're going to need a vacation after this particular day at the beach.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

El Spamo posted:

Well, now that we've reached this level, I'll go ahead and post the video that introduced me to the insane physics fuckery that Halo provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0

Haha I knew someone would, it's the first thing I think about when it comes to The Silent Cartographer. I'm actually super surprised it's available on YouTube, it has quite a lot of copyrighted audio. I also have a planned bonus video about warthog jumping, but I won't be releasing it for a while.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Deformed Church posted:

Thinking of the graphics, are you going to show off the old ones in action at any point? So far you've gone mostly for landscape shots, it would be cool to show off the old enemy models and how it looks to move around in those environments. In particular a look at the old energy swords is interesting, the translucent twin-pronged one is almost iconic at this point but in the original they're totally different.

Also I want to nerd out about the grenade stack you showed in episode 3. A key part of halo tricking is that while the overshield is charging you are immune to damage, otherwise you would probably die there on first three grenades, let alone the two following grenade jumps. It's the same thing that enables the fall mentioned in episode 4, you get the overshield just before landing. The other interesting thing about it is that on higher difficulties they scale down damage (rather than increasing enemy health), and on legendary you actually get out on full health. Can I ask, how much practice did that take? Because when I learned the speedrun it took me basically a whole weekend to get it remotely consistently and you looked totally effortless.

Someone asked about the old graphics a couple of pages ago and I gave some thought to doing a bonus video for it, but I don't think I'm going to do it. It'd end up just being a random gameplay montage with very little interesting commentary, and truthfully I don't think it adds enough value to the LP. I'm just going to leave the single instance in each level where I show a non-action shot of the original graphics as a reference.

As for the grenade jump stuff, that probably took me something like 15 takes. I was getting pretty frustrated doing it, but maybe I got off easy. The bonus content in the next video took me something like double that though, so look forward to that.

Simply Simon posted:

The fact that you can kill the Hunters with a single pistol shot is so wild to me. It works even on Legendary, they really hard-coded that weakness in.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's obviously way harder to aim on original XBox than it's with a mouse + KB. I don't think I could do Legendary on console, I'm simply not good and practiced enough for that (my buddy maybe, who played the game as a teenager to death) - also, I'm left-handed, so aiming with the right stick is always a bit more difficult for me. Clicking on heads is way simpler than aligning the crosshairs, and the same goes for weak points.

Hunters do get way harder to kill as the series continues, tho. In Reach on Legendary, whoo boy those are some nasty encounters.

I feel like people overstate the difficulty of aiming with controllers, but it's not really a simple thing. It takes a lot of practice to be proficient with a controller compared to M+KB, but once you are stuff like shooting the hunter's weak spot is easy. Of course the other problem with controllers is that it's a much more perishable skill. I beat every Halo game up to number 4 on legendary using a controller, but I would not be able to do that now. It's going to be really interesting when I have to record Halo 5, since it looks like that's never coming to PC.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

05 - Assault on the Control Room

On our way to the Control Room, let's take a walk through a winter warzone.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

FoolyCharged posted:

Being able to hijack the banshee here is pretty odd because if I remember right it's drat close to, and possibly outright, the only time the player can pilot one.

Which is interesting, because you were very clearly not intended to invalidate the level like that. So the banshee was fully realized and player controllable despite the fact that the devs didn't intend you to have any access to it.

They did patch them into the PC version eventually if I remember middle school wars over which version was better.

We will definitely get a chance to play with Banshees later. I wouldn't be so sure that the devs didn't want the players to be able to grab one. Every other time we've seen Banshees so far they've already been flying around. There's no reason they couldn't have done that here, or placed them farther back, or even just restricted them from the player in code. I personally would guess that they wanted it to be an option. Something that the player would restart the level to try and make happen.

In the PC version of the game I think they added the Banshee into multiplayer, which they weren't in the original release.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So today I'm not releasing the next level of Halo. Instead I've published a handful of videos, and I'm doing a history post to give them some context.

In 1997, after releasing the third Marathon game and the second Myth game, Bungie decided they wanted to do something different. Under Jason Jones, they started a project with the idea to merge the real-time strategy gameplay of Myth with the sci-fi shooter genre of Marathon. Essentially they were thinking Starcraft but without all the resource gathering and base building. This project went through a few different codenames: "Armor", "Monkey Nuts", and "Blam!". We've mentioned in the LP that Halo started as a Marathon game, but this a little disingenuous. Bungie has stated that they never intended this new game to be a Marathon sequel, but I don't know if I believe them exactly since they were using the Marathon logo in their UI partway through development.

There's not a whole lot of footage available of the early work, but you can see some of it in this video that Bungie showed at their Halofest at E3 the year after Halo launched. Just note that the later parts of this video will overlap with the rest of the history post.

The Evolution of Halo

A few of the big features that Bungie was focusing on were 3D level geometry, major vehicle integration, and a physics engine so that the vehicles would interact properly with that geometry. Things were going well, but during testing they kept coming back to a little "game" where they would put some marines in the Warthog, attach a chase-cam to it, and then drive it around jumping it off hills and cliffs. They realized they needed to make the game more like that instead of the strategy and tactics game they had envisioned, and Project Blam! tranisitioned into a third-person action/adventure game instead. At this point they didn't have a whole lot of the details nailed down, but they did know there was a ringworld, aliens, space marines, and supersoldiers. They managed to get an audience with Steve Jobs and convinced him to let them present at Macworld 1999, where they showed this:

Macworld 1999 Presentation

It's very interesting how you can see so many elements of Halo in that presentation. The green-armored, gold-visored supersoldiers and their Warthog, and the Elites and their Banshees. Even the flag at the end (or similar) shows up as a multiplayer asset in the final game. The vehicle physics make a big impact, but the seamless transition between the indoor and outdoor environments was revolutionary at the time. This was around the time of Half-Life and I'm sure everyone knows how awful the loading times were in that game. Bungie was saying they were working on an entirely open-world map for the game, as well as native flora and fauna and day/night and weather cycles. Unfortunately, none of that ended up in the final game, but the impressive environments and vehicle physics remained. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but the soldier's gestures in the presentation make me wonder if the game still had some strategy elements in it at this point; something more like the squad-based tactics of the Ghost Recon games. In any case, they continued to improve and refine the game and almost a year later they presented at E3 2000:

E3 2000 Presentation

This build looks a lot more like the Halo we ended up with, so many of the characters and assets look almost final. Despite that it's probably worth noting that they really didn't have much of an actual game at this point. The E3 presentation (and the Macworld one for that matter) weren't actually finished and ready to go until the day of the presentation, and they had to rely on some tricks and band-aids in order to get the demo working correctly. And even though they clearly had a lot of concepts and assets realized, they had no idea what story they were even going to tell. Bungie was also dealing with some money troubles. They had made an agreement with Take-Two to license their older games for console release, and even at the time of the E3 presentation where they advertised Halo for PC and Mac, they were pretty deep in negotiations to be acquired by Microsoft. Obviously the acquisition went forward and Halo was eventually turned into a first-person shooter, completed, and released as a launch title for the Xbox and the rest, as they say, is history.

I want to leave you with one last video, from when Bungie still planned on releasing a PC game. Enjoy!

Halo Surprise!

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 13, 2021

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I think it was probably pretty normal for turn-of-the-millenium video game development, but Bungie was very much flying by the seat of their pants to get things working and finished, while also in the mindset that video games are fun and so making video games should also be fun. They were always very good about poking fun at themselves and totally admitting when they bit off more than they could chew.

I didn't want to get too deep into details but the Master Chief comment is interesting because he, as a character, came about pretty late in development. In the early days the supersoldiers were just another battlefield unit, not really "special" in any way. It seems like when they transitioned to third-person shooter it was obvious the player should be controlling one of them instead of just a normal human guy, but they still weren't actual characters. By the time of the E3 demo it looks like they had decided to make the supersoldier more special, but he was named "The Cyborg" and was way more robotic and less of an actual person. It wasn't until after they were bought by Microsoft and they were trying to fill out the story that he became an actual guy with a name, except Bungie still didn't want to call him by name, so he's only referred to by rank in the game.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

06 - 343 Guilty Spark

We investigate a spooky swamp, the last known location of Captain Keyes.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

You cannot in Halo 1, but you can in Halo 2. No, I don't know why either.

Holy poo poo, I always assumed Halo 2 worked the same as Halo 1, but I just went and tried and you totally can. That's crazy.

Simply Simon posted:

Somewhat same (though the Library is also awful), my biggest issue with the level is that I keep wanting to fall down to lower levels to fight Flood there, and that's almost never intended - in fact you loop around to previous rooms a bunch of times, only now you're on the higher level and have to activate a bridge (also sometimes not obvious) to reach a new door. Add to that the fact that some progress door are blown out by the Flood (somewhat obvious), some are simply working as intended, and yeah everything looks the same - fall down once, then go backwards a bit, you still have enemies to fight because the Flood are many, so you don't notice it, and suddenly you went in the entirely wrong direction for 5 min and have no idea where your last point of progress was.

Then your co-op partner teleports you somewhere, which might be its own version of "backwards" :suicide:

Yeah falling down once you're on the second level is the real way to get lost. If you just always leave out a different door than you came in, and never drop down, you'll get out just fine. But once you fall off the second floor you've basically got a 50/50 chance because there are no indicators of going the right way.

Deformed Church posted:

I really love this level. There's a real feeling of suspense as you go deep underground into an alien base while slowly realising you're in there with something really awful, then you find the flood and realise you're surrounded and have to escape and it becomes a frantic, desperate escape, as you push deeper hoping to find another way out. Then when you finally do get out, you see the sentinels using the same colours and shapes as all the forerunner buildings, and realise the ring isn't quite as dead as before, and then it caps off by thwarting your escape at the final second and teleporting you somewhere presumably even worse.

This level is definitely a turning point for the game. The pretty generic "oo-rah" action gets subverted by the sudden unexpected spookiness, and then you get ambushed by this new enemy that doesn't fight like the Covenant. And then once you escape, they throw another twist at you and end on a cliffhanger. The whole thing leaves your head spinning.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

07 - The Library

There's a whole lot of Flood between us and the Index, the key to controlling Halo.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I love how much people have to say about the Library. It generates very strong opinions.

BlazetheInferno posted:

This quote gets mentioned in the novelization, and in response, Chief just thinks to himself something along the lines of *"Yeah, buddy, you find me something six times stronger than the MJOLNIR Mark V, and I'll be first in line to try it out.

Of course, the big problem here with Guilty Spark boils down to one simple fact: he assumes we already know everything. About the Forerunners, about the Flood, about all the procedures and what Halo is... he assumes we know all this already, and probably assumes the Covenant know, too.

We don't. We don't know poo poo. Chief could probably have avoided a few problems if someone sat Guilty Spark down and went "Hey. I don't know what you think we know about you, this facility, anything that's been kept here, or the people who made this place, but assume we don't know anything. Because we don't. No one left us a history book on this place or its creators, we're figuring all this poo poo out the hard way."

I actually went back and read that part of the book just to see what they say, and it's kind of two things. For one, they don't really have time. From the time 343 Guilty Spark teleports him to the Library to the time they get the Index, they're under constant assault from the Flood, and Spark keeps telling the Chief that they need to hurry. The second, more interesting explanation is that the Chief is actually intentionally playing along with it. Guilty Spark clearly has his own ideas who the Chief is, and if he were to correct him, Spark might stop helping.

Deformed Church posted:

I can't believe you had to euthanise all those flood buddies :smith:

The floods are loads of fun to fight. Adding in the human weapons on enemies makes some of these fights a lot more exciting, and you get a ready supply of ammo for whichever toys you feel like using. It didn't happen in it's full glory but the carrier forms can trigger chain reactions when their explosions catch grenades on the floor, which can get really crazy in the bigger arena fights. And the infection forms flooding (no pun intended) the motion tracker adds an extra level of hazard if you lose track of the combat forms. All in all, they do a lot of really fun stuff the convenant don't.

I have a dirty confession, which is that on my recent replay (I was trying to keep pace with you but accidentally had too much fun and made it halfway through H2) I really enjoyed this level. I'm not a big fan of the new graphics but they go a long way towards making this level better, both with the arrows and just putting definition on all the surfaces. It's thematically reall cool how the flood are literally coming out of the walls, and the floor, and the ceiling, from every direction. Added to that, most of the game you're basically just doing a fight and then walking forwards and then doing another fight and so on, but in this level there's a lot of bits where you just kill what you have to and keep pushing forward. Also just the overall variety of spaces, the rooms look boring but they're a pretty good range of shapes and sizes. Overall it's just a really good showcase for the game's combat, and with the new graphics a lot of my big problems with it are much reduced.

I think you've definitely got a point here that the "style" of combat in this level is different and not bad. The gauntlet of being under constant assault from enemies pouring out of the woodwork is fun. It's just the same thing stretched out over a half hour level and there's nothing you can do to make it shorter or easier. I honestly think it would have worked great if it was an intense 5-minute long segment at the end of the swamp level, rather than it's own stand-alone thing.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

BlazetheInferno posted:

I mean, I get that realistically, there was never a chance to sit him down like that. I just mean, if there had been a chance to stop and sit him down for a second to explain that much, a lot of problems probably could honestly have been avoided.

Yeah fair enough, and I totally agree with you. I think the other point is more interesting anyways, that Master Chief actually avoids asking questions. It's almost definitely a post-rationalization for why he's being a silent protagonist, but it kinda makes sense.

Deformed Church posted:

It was effective in killing off all the Flood outside the testing labs that the forerunners kept them in, just like how we've kept smallpox samples around. Halo is actually a cautionary tale about scientific ethics that got way out of hand.

From 343GS' point of view, everything is going according to plan until the Covenant turn up and let the flood out. Then the Chief, exactly the person he needs (although that's not fully explored for a while), turns up heavily armed and armoured in exactly the right place at exactly the right time to activate Halo again. That's exactly what he'd expect to happen in the event of a containment breach, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to assume the Chief is there to activate Halo and just rush into the process.

This is a really good post. Only minor correction is that from Spark's point of view, we're actually under-equipped.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

08 - Two Betrayals

Things are not as they seem, and the battle for control of Halo is getting messy.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

Ice physics show up in Halo 1 exactly three times (four if you count PC multiplayer): Assault on the Control Room, this level, and Sidewinder (and Ice Fields on PC.)

The Warthog is the only vehicle affected by it.

I realized while I was editing the audio that while I still think it's a neat detail, it's pretty far from "rare". Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and the N64 Zeldas all had ice physics and that's just off the top of my head.

Ablative posted:

Also, Widdershins is a real word. Just means "counter-clockwise".

Oh, that's really cool. I had always assumed that it was a joke where out of 4 directions, 3 of them were straightforward and the 4th was intentionally nonsense that you would understand by means of elimination.

Cythereal posted:

I will always be amused when video game protagonists know perfectly how to operate ancient alien UIs to operate everything in ruins older than the human race.

We keep saying this, but there is an actual canon explanation for this. Whether it's a "good" explanation or not is a little more up in the air. What I will say is that it's tied to the reason that 343 Guilty Spark keeps calling us "Reclaimer".

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - Warthog Jumping

A whole bunch of shenanigans based on a literal blast from the past.

El Spamo posted:

Well, now that we've reached this level, I'll go ahead and post the video that introduced me to the insane physics fuckery that Halo provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0

El Spamo posted the inspiration for this video a while ago, but if you never got a chance to watch it you should. I have no idea how this exists on YouTube, it has so much copyrighted music in it.

You can also download the original here if you want that legit early 2000s internet experience.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

09 - Keyes

Once again we have to rescue Captain Keyes, but things are a little different this time.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

AradoBalanga posted:

For the longest time, I did not know this was the same Covenant ship from earlier in the game. I took Cortana's statement at the start of the level to mean that this ship was a second Covenant ship that got left behind in the chaos of the Flood appearing, and all of the Covenant troops in the level were launched from the Truth and Reconciliation in a desperate bid to scuttle it before the Flood took over.

It's kind of weird, because you'd think it'd get mentioned in the game that it was the same ship, but it never does. That detail comes from the novelization, and I almost wonder if the author just didn't want to make up a new name and decided to re-use it.

Ikasuhito posted:

Doing anything that might damage Halo is a complete non-starter for the Covenant, as at the very least it is a irreplaceable holy artifact. In fact in the books the Autumn is only able to make it to Halo for this very reason.

I totally forgot this detail. I actually am wrong in the commentary where I say the spec ops elites are there to destroy the ship. Cortana says in the opening cutscene that they are trying to repair it for some reason, although maybe they'd destroy it out in space to avoid damaging the ring.

malkav11 posted:

Just a quick note regarding coolant: y'all seemed to think coolant would automatically be super cold (thus, frost effect) - actually a lot of coolant used in the real world isn't. It's just efficient at heat transfer, cooler than what's being cooled, easy to circulate, etc. Water is the most common coolant used in the real world, including on some nuclear reactors etc. There are even applications where the coolant is very hot - but temperature stable, and still cooler than the thing being cooled. Liquid sodium is used to cool some fast reactors, for example.

Obviously whatever they're using in this level is meant to be some exotic substance the Covenant have (hence, glowing green). But there's a decent chance it's not cold.

Yeah I studied refrigeration cycles in university, although that was over a decade ago (big sad). I know coolant isn't some magically cold liquid, but it would have been a cool video game thing that would have made sense intuitively, if not realistically.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

10 - The Maw

Time for the big finish. Let's go out with a bang!

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

FoolyCharged posted:

I really love that ending for some reason. It's very bleak and desolate in a way that matches the rest of the game and the sole survivor bit fits with the shift into horror genre the game does. It would be a real shame if almost all of it got retconned later on...

Master Chief's isolation and loneliness is, or maybe I should say 'was intended to be', a major theme. At the time of the game's release, he was described as the last surviving Spartan (note: not even close to true) and him being the sole survivor of Halo compounded that survivor's guilt.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Fun fact about that helmet tease - if you hack the camera to be able to see inside the ship during that scene, his helmet doesn't actually come off. It just puts an extra helmet in his hands to put next to him, and the actual model, since it was never meant to be shown like that, just keeps the helmet as per normal since the cutscene camera can't see his head when it happens anyway.

Hahahah, I'd never seen the gif before

Deformed Church posted:

I really like the comedy bits, Halo just doesn't have enough backing it up to take itself that seriously. I feel like they kind of lose that throughout the series, it gets pretty joyless later on.

Since I mentioned it in the commentary, I'll bring up Supernatural here and the reason I like it despite it being an obviously stupid show. The first season of that show is absolutely intended to be a dark, serious YA novel style monster hunter show, with a couple funny episodes thrown in for variety. Someone running it realized that there's no longevity in doing "serious vampire hunters" and they decided to lean into the ridiculous nature of it. They went for making a show that was "fun" instead of whatever definition of "good" they were originally intending, and hey they got 15 seasons out of it. And that's definitely something that lots of videos games, including later Halos, miss out on. Especially as studios become bigger and design starts being more corporate directed, it seems like they expect "fun" to be an intrinsic quality of a game, or a by-product of making something "good", rather than an actual goal you can work towards during development.

Outpost22 posted:

Does anyone know how Sgt. Johnson survives that ending?

I will actually be posting a video to explain what happens between Halo 1 and Halo 2, and Sgt. Johnson is a really big chunk of that.

And I just want to give a bit of a refresher warning on posting spoilers. Sgt. Johnson surviving doesn't exactly count since Halo 2 isn't going to treat it as any kind of surprise or twist, but it's very close since it's something we haven't seen yet.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Oh, now that we're done the game I can finally post that devs react to speedrun video we mentioned a whole bunch of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ndZbg8Mr-Q

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - Alternate Warthog Run

Did you know about this alternate Warthog Run in Halo?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

FoolyCharged posted:

Until now I never realized how much the warthog needed a shitton of Jerry cans strapped to it for no reason.

Hey come on now. They're full of water so that the warthog can use its internal electrolyzer to refill the hydrogen fuel cells. Plus, the design needed a splash of colour.

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know if any goons would be down to play in some friendly matches, but it might be fun.

I'd still love to organize Goon customs and maybe use them for multiplayer videos, but I think only one other person expressed interest.

Also, I have some Halo 2 videos all queued up, but it'll be couple weeks still until actual gameplay.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I have no idea what you guys are talking about

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

Guy on YouTube, name of InfernoPlus, did Massive Crimes to Halo Custom Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMxIjGjMJz0

It's... A thing.

That guy needs a hobby. Well, a different hobby. He clearly has way too much power to be trusted with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Alright, no actual LP content today, but I am posting some old Halo 2 promo videos to start the hype.

Halo 2 - Announce Trailer - The original announce trailer for Halo 2 from late 2002. For an unplanned sequel they were moving pretty quickly considering that's only a year after Halo 1 came out. Despite being mostly just the MC walking around with radio chatter in the background, there's a lot of implied plot points and new content in this video. Enough to keep us nerds talking for years when we should have been paying attention in computer class.

Halo 2 - Theatrical Trailer - This is the "theatrical" trailer, that was shown in movie theatres in late 2004 as part of the last big marketing push. Most of the content for this trailer actually comes from an E3 video, which I won't be posting just yet. Having it be a pre-roll trailer that you had to buy a ticket to see was a little bit of a dick move, since if you're paying attention, something weird happens to the URL at the end of the trailer....

Halo 2 - TV Commercial - And this is the regular old TV commercial also shown in late 2004. This trailer is mostly made up of actual gameplay clips and dialogue from the final game, which can give you an idea of what to expect. There is actually a minute-long version of this commercial out there, but I didn't include it because the best original resolution I could find was 180 vertical pixels (!) after removing black bars and my upscaling efforts looked awful.

Hopefully this gets you guys excited for Halo 2, but again, try not to post any "spoilers" for those who don't know what's going on. Some of what's in the trailers should be recognizable if you had read the books up until this point, and that's safe enough, but these are teasers and you're supposed to feel teased!