Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crazy Achmed posted:

I've never played any of these games but I'm genuinely disappointed that it sounds like Halo 3 doesn't take a sharp left turn into becoming a buddy cop story.

There are a couple notes of that but not a whole lot more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bewilderment posted:

Sadly it does not, that was a made up piece of fiction as Brian David Gilbert was sad to report after reading every Halo novel.

Believe (that the suit jerks him off)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Loxbourne posted:

This reminds me of an interesting aside. During the Halo 2 and 3 pre-release ARG campaigns, a lot of the "players" were ARG fans rather than Halo ones. The Halo fans who did play along had to give out potted briefings on the lore, setting, and core themes of the series (including the older Bungie games in case they came up). I remember posts on the internal forums explaining what an AI even was.

I wonder if this is why Bungie ultimately stopped doing ARGs. They fell out of fashion anyway but I guess you could reach the Halo target audience a lot easier with adverts on the sides of buses.

For a good while no one was sure if ilovebees was even related to Halo, until it became extremely obvious it was

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All Units

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

biosterous posted:

unsc vehicles in mainline halo (as shown so far)
warthog: found in africa
scorpion: found in africa (and elsewhere)
mongoose: found in africa (and elsewhere)
hornet: found in africa (and elsewhere)
elephant: found in africa (and elsewhere)

new vehicles (so far):
grizzly: not found in africa

small spacecraft/fighters have a different naming convention (they are swords)

Saber, Longsword, Broadsword, for reference

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leal posted:

When I was watching the series I just skipped past any parts with Kwan and I don't think I really missed much

You might have missed Burn Gorman and that's a shame

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh well that's okay then

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hit at the Yipyap and you get the clapback

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a combo of her shields still being out not being well telegraphed combined with Bungie originally wanting her to get sniped but not actually putting a Covenant sniper unit in Reach that makes it a little awkward

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Additional fun facts about the end: If you look right as the Pillar of Autumn launches, you can find Master Chief in the hushed casket on the side. Doing so in MCC unlocks the achievement "Collection Eligibility Confirmed"

Also, Reach names its checkpoints Rally Point Alpha, Bravo, etc. Lone Wolf only has Rally Point Omega

It came up if the ending was controversial back when Reach came out - not really though some people complained. Everyone knew how the story ends/begins, though a few were still annoyed at the whole theme of the game and felt it wasn't fun they do almost nothing but lose despite that and the game presenting you as winning small victories that build up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iirc its come up before and they said it'd be a colossal pain in the rear end to port to MCC, more than the others, due to its code base. Its forge mode and custom games got a Windows port and was kind of busted though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halo 3 was meant to be the end of it and in itself meant to end on a loop; Reach was a love letter Bungie originally didn't want to make. Master Chief goes back into cryo sleep and is woken when you need him. It did still tease a little bit though, like the Forerunner/Marathon planet in the legendary ending cutscene. The setting itself is set up to keep going with this or that but Halo 4 has to retcon a lot to make things go. When Chief says "It's finished," he means it.

Halo 3 had a little companion app/guide thing come out at the same time with the state of the galaxy at the end of it and a little encylopedia of all the Covenant races and how they're doing. Humanity was reduced down to 100 million people at the end of Halo 3. Earth was almost entirely obliterated along with its colonies. The UNSC fleet was reduced to exactly one half of a frigate. Keep that in mind for Halo 4.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 6, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

As for the Covenant and its various member species, yeah it's complicated. Almost all of the Prophets would have been on High Charity, so they're effectively extinct, although there's probably a few survivors out there. Lots of the remaining peoples just went back to their home planet to figure out what to do now, but there's a bunch of remnant factions and aimless fleets out causing trouble.

I'd be interested in seeing that rundown. The specifics don't sound familiar to me, and seem a lot more pessimistic than what I had in my head canon.

I don't know if it's still up or preserved anywhere - it was a 360 app thing back when companion apps were popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had never heard of Minotaur; that's rad

quote:

The game's tagline was "Kill your enemies. Kill your friends' enemies. Kill your friends". This tagline has reappeared as a description in the multiplayer menu screens for some of Bungie's other games, such as Myth: The Fallen Lords and Halo 3.