Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I don't recall if it was mentioned previously in other vids, but you can see a few times here where if you use the assault rifle on the jackal shields at close range, the bullets will reflect into yourself and do damage. I don't know if the same thing happens with the pistol.

I know you can swap between remastered and normal graphics on the fly, can you do it in the middle of cut scenes as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ah, I see you met Wheatley.

Replacing Guilty Spark with Wheatley would make for kind of a fun mod.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

I mean, I get that realistically, there was never a chance to sit him down like that. I just mean, if there had been a chance to stop and sit him down for a second to explain that much, a lot of problems probably could honestly have been avoided.

That's true, but the way I see it is this: Imagine you are guilty spark. You are a life form that can think, and you have personality and emotions. You are purpose built to facilitate the activation of Halo. If he was just an information bot, you could probably get the info while storming the library instead of the pointless color commentary on your inferior weapons and armor.

But he's not built that way. He's excited to be fulfilling his purpose, and to see Halo go off. It's more than just killing the flood (which, if Halo was actually effective, should not be a thing), it's also his reason for existing. And it's also pretty clear that this is not the first time Halo has been activated, but it has been a long time. My best guess is that he's bored. So he is positively giddy about getting to watch another cleansing. He's so single minded and focused that he doesn't want to give anyone an option to not activate Halo.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

As far as enemies who will fight each other go, Original Doom did it way back in 1993. It was a bit harder to trigger as only different enemy types would attack each other (no imp on imp violence), and because of that most fights were heavily one sided. Also because it would take more than a stray shot or two from an enemy to piss it off enough to turn on the new attacker. But it was fun back in those days too.

IIRC from the novels, Cortana really doesn't exactly "like" Chief at this point. He's an otter box for he, and a jsut big tin can full of muscles, but he's also her only option. So she does seem to enjoy draining his shields whenever possible. I also recall that because her personality is based off the head scientist behind the Mjolnir armor program, she kind of resents being an AI as opposed to a corporeal being, but I might be getting that one wrong.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So this thread inspired me to buy the MCC collection on steam. And I might have to re-learn how to play mouse and keyboard because for a game that codified controller play for FPS, man am I not able to dial in the sensitivity. On one hand I want it fast so I can turn worth a drat, but OTOH, it means my sniper is more effective as a club than an actual sniping implement.

Also, just for fun I played through most of Halo 1 on legendary with cheats turned on, and man, that isn't even fun if you can't technically be killed.

loving Jackals just shoot you with an unending stream of bolts from the plasma pistol. No cool down, no respite, it's nuts. I don't know if Grunts are all the special forces version, but they are all wearing purple even on the pillar of autumn. There are way more elites in every encounter, and they are all mad as hell. Hunters are actually the least challenging enemy, if you can get it down to jsut the two of them, but it is an absolute slog to get there.

Turn around and play on normal mode with no cheats, and I feel like a badass. Still need to get my legs back under me, but at least I feel like I can actually hit things.

I don't know if any goons would be down to play in some friendly matches, but it might be fun.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

gently caress it, I'll play too.

Doubly so if those whacko mods ever get released

Is that the one with the :flaccid: sniper and the extra dangerous D20 grenades, and the reverse pistol and all the other messed up stuff?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Frenzy, I'm pretty sure you indicated that you won't be doing Reach for the LP, but are you going to do ODST? I'm working my way through the series, just finished 3, and was looking at ODST next followed by Reach. Figure I'll finish off the MCC with 4.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

How on earth did you forget giving the covenant back their bomb? It's so cheesy and good

I just replayed this and I had forgotten about half the levels.

The ones I did remember were some of my favorites though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The talk about multiplayer in this episode reminded me of my Multi adventures.

Back when this first came out XBOX was ahead of the curve on "online" multiplayer as the system was built with a built-in ethernet port. Which would eventually lead you to being able to play online as broadband became more wide spread.

But for young people living in rural Wisconsin in the early 2000s, that wasn't an option yet.

But, what you could do is get a length of cross over ethernet cable and plug two XBOXs into each other and do small LAN parties. Which was great, because you could have two teams of four, one running on each box, and then it didn't matter if you were screen looking, because you were all on the same team.

I remember long long nights that went deep into morning the next day, where we had two rooms about 50 feet apart, connected with one long cable between the rooms, and just hammering away on ever multiplayer game type we could get our hands on

I might be mistaken, but I think with a simple switch you could have networked even more XBOXs together, with regular network cable. I don't remember if we ever got that far, but that was so much fun.

AradoBalanga posted:

The other issue with Jackals is that, especially in the original engine, they could very easily blend into the background because of their tan skin color. So, your only notification that there was a Jackal sniper in the immediate area was either the beam rifle shot killing you, or you getting lucky because the Jackal missed you on their first shot.

The updated graphics do seem to change the lighting a bit to make them slightly more visible, but even then, the ones on the upper floors in Jackal Alley are still far enough back/obstructed by other objects that they're hard to see.

The bright purple glowing eye pieces help too, but yeah, on harder difficulties, that is just not going to be enough.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Kind of interesting, you don't have to wait for the scarab to "get stuck" at the end of the walkway there. You can jump onto it from any of the three bridges it passes under. Yeah, higher chance that you might actually miss, but I never even knew it stopped

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'm happy we got to this point because I always loved playing as the arbiter. It's not a huge departure in how master chief plays, but thematically I always enjoy switching things up. You do get the stealth camo, which mostly works, but I believe the shields are exactly the same between playable characters (take the same number of hits to 'break' and the same amount of time to recharge)

I do forget, is Arbiter supposed to be the same elite that was fighting Johnson at the end of Halo 1, or was he on his ship when Halo blew up?

There's other Arbiter stuff but I'll save it until we get to that point in the story.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

I will note, Thel'Vadamee (The Arbiter's name, if we had been going for the Terminals we would have heard it already) is noted to frequently take the field personally, despite being the Fleet Commander.

He COULD be the one wrestling with Johnson in the Legendary End-scene, but that scene's not exactly canon anyway.

That was my thought, and I also thought that one of the books supported that. Also, IIRC the legendary scene is the one where Johnson grabs the elite by the rear end. But the Elite there is wearing gold armor, same as Arbiter at the beginning of 2. Again, not supported by lore in any way, but it would be kind of neat if the Arbiter was not only at Halo when it blew up, but if he barely survived, only to be held in treason and sentenced to death by suicide mission once he returned.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

If there is a time limit it is super generous. I somehow managed to get turned around in this level and managed to run the circuit twice before realizing I needed to turn left instead of right to go out the exit door. Still manged to beat the level and never got any fun "Hurry up Arbiter" voice over lines.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't remember if it was in 2 or 3 but there was a sword flying trick you could only do in MP. Youtube only mentions 2 so that must be it. You needed the enemy to have a rocket launcher and you had the sword. You had to stand pretty close to each other and facing the same way. The sword person had to be aiming at practically the barrel of the rocket launcher. Then rocket guy fires, and the sword guy would attack at the same time, and they would lunge, but it would track the rocket, so it would send you flying across the map until you hit a wall or the edge of the map. I think the logic was something along the lines of the rocket was a physical object and was considered part of the enemy, so you could lunge at it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

FWIW, the prophets in the Heretic/Arbiter storyline mention the Taming of the Hunters and the Grunt Rebellion, which would be games that I want to play.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

You bring up a good question about the whereabouts of the Monitor for this Halo. Where is he and why is he not helping?

As I was typing that I forgot that we actually get an answer to this question. Probably in the next video IIRC. Obviously that would be spoilers, so I'm just gonna sit tight.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Samovar posted:

I do like how Miranda basically skipped the whole process of getting the library key by just... Y'know... Leaning over a bit.

The flood infestation is way worse in this library than in the one back in Halo 1. Comparatively, in the first game you had hundreds of flood, but Master Chief was able to trudge his way through them. This time you have a squad of marines, plus Johnson, and the Arbiter, supported by a handful of Elites, and getting support from a phantom - and even with all of that, only three people get through to the center of the library. Not counting the Brutes who show up after all the fighting is done.

Well, not only is the flood all over the library, but as you walk towards the key, you can see that there's a lot of busted up stuff in the environment. Presumably some of that could be the elevator platform that would take you to the key in the first place. So with the monitor MIA, and the elevator busted, there would not really be any other way to get to the key except to lean over and grab it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Interesting stuff. Hope you are doing better.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

This might be kind of obvious, but as we are walking through the first forerunner/temple area, there are a few red blood stains on the ground.

Elites, jackals, grunts, they all have purple/blue blood. I tried to keep an eye on the brutes as they were shot, exploded, and run over, but I couldn't see one way or another.

Is it possible this is human blood?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I forget, why is Truth going to Earth? Does he know that the ARC is there and that it will fire off the rings? Does he still have a spark with him, or was the one in covenant possession the one that went with Tartarus? Or is he just leading the armada there to kill the poo poo out of humans?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, the ending to Halo 2 really felt like a giant wet fart of an ending and I still remember returning it, quite pissed off, to my local videogame dealer and she told me that I was the tenth to return the game after the weekend.

Man, I could not imagine giving up on the Halo 2 multiplayer just because the campaign is disappointing - and I suck at multiplayer

I would agree that out of the Halo games I played, 2 is the weakest story wise, but the gameplay is such an improvement over 1.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I might have missed it. Did you post another thread for this other game?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

It was a 4 video series for Portal. I didn't think it warranted a thread so I just posted it to YouTube. I'll be back to posting halo stuff on Friday though.

Cool, I go check that out.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

drat. loving ice cold. How long has the human covenant war been going on at that point? Because I'm pretty sure it's less time than Miranda has been alive.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Some people want to play as Master Chief: The only living Spartan (as far as we know at this point). If there are two Spartans in H1, well there were 2 pods there, so OK but only John is going to be in cutscenes or talk or be addressed in any way.

In 2 it makes less sense because the end of 1 shows the only survivor of the entire fiasco is John, so then where does Spartan 2 come from? Plus switching to the arbiter and doubling them is also weird from a canon/continuity perspective.

Though I think now in 3, arbiter and friends do not have the active camo option.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

God those new flood forms are grotesque

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Forerunner tech authentication sucks. Like, we've seen this twice now with Keyes in Halo 2 and Johnson just now; they both resist activating rings but all it takes is someone forcefully jamming their hand onto the big glowing button to start up the doom system. The Covenant (and Spark) keep saying they need the humans to activate the rings but really all it looks like is that they need to cut off a human's hand to activate... I don't know, I guess a fingerprint scanner?

Maybe, but then chief just mushes his big armored ham on the button and that turns it off?

It kind of feels like Mass Effect where all these other alien species existed for thousands of years and stumble across technology left behind by an even more advanced race from millennia ago, but none of it works until some humans stumble across it

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Oh. Oh. I just now got what y'all are referencing by Cortana's line about keeping what she steals.

I had interpreted Cortana as talking about the Master Chief, how he's been doing progressively more reckless things and talking further steps out on a long, thin branch for her sake. That John was supposed to belong to the UNSC and their concept of humanity, but John's been demonstrating quite different loyalties - Cortana stole and kept him, you might say.

I think that's an entirely valid interpretation.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

The sphincter doors are their own level of :wtc:. The fact they still hold up 15 years later with outdated graphics is a testament to the effort put into making them as disturbing as gently caress.

And think, 4 years later Duke Nukem Forever had sphincter doors and, like everything DNF, it was way worse.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

I never noticed the signs were actually directions. I spent a bunch of time lost both times I played. I feel like such an idiot.

Same. Just never noticed because I never saw a game in a setting like this where the city itself would point you to your objective. I have a waypoint and a map, I'll piece it together from there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Isn't it also a thing where "smart" AI are kind of purposely restrained, and Cortana is unique in her level of freedom? Or am I thinking of some other sci-fi world?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Hey guys, just wanted to give a heads up that it may be a couple weeks until the Halo: Reach stuff starts. It's taking me longer than I expected to get everything organized and going.

But until then, check out these old photos of when Swordfishhh, Cletus, and I went to the Halo: Reach launch event in Toronto! We got to play laser tag, try a demo of the game, and I totally still have the T-shirt and lanyard.

Neat, looks like a fun time.

It's a crazy time of year what with the holidays and everything. Take your time. The thread will still be here.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

My question is this. Are we sure Jorge is dead? Remember when Kat explained what happened to the colony ship. They just subspace jumped away a portion of the carrier. The cruiser Jorge is on is still completely intact. What's not to say he commandeered it, and jumped it somewhere else.

Without going into spoilers, yeah, Jorge is dead.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Maybe just the busted shield glass break noise and 0 shield alarm effects.

Also, I was going to ask if we knew in game what the Covenant were looking for here on reach, but it turns out that was answered at the end of the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

The MCC is only $10 on Steam, should I get it?

EDIT: I have until Feb 13th to decide.

Have you played Halo before? If not, $10 is pretty good to play 6 good to great games. I bought it a few years ago on sale, but not that cheap.