Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Personally I'm in a bit of a weird midpoint. I have played Halo 1 on both Xbox and PC (got way further on PC - Halo may have made the FPS viable on console but it was still a struggle for me) without ever finishing it, and I've played a tiny bit of Halo: Reach before deciding I didn't really enjoy it. And I've read Karen Traviss' contribution(s) to the novels. Then later I watched a Let's Play of the Anniversary Edition on 360 and I think one of Reach, and someone started a Halo 2 LP that I don't *think* ever finished (but I certainly didn't get very far in it if it did). But I have never seen the majority of 2 or any of the other Halo games at all.

It's a franchise I personally don't find exciting to play, but I've always loved Bungie's storytelling, going right back to Pathways into Darkness and especially Marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

White Coke posted:

Why didn't they use the D-pad to squeeze in a few more guns? And who invented the weapon wheel?

The two weapon limit is a very deliberate design choice, IIRC to try and push players into regularly mixing up their arsenal. Personally I found it had the opposite effect and I hate it having become practically default in the genre subsequently.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

- it's very easy to get lost, the game imo has massive issues with player guidance

God yes. This was probably my biggest problem with the game when I tried to play it (at least, once I started playing on PC and could use mouse and keyboard controls).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Somebody beat me to it, but with more detail:

Before clocks, the two directions for rotation were "deasil" (from the same root that Latin "dexter" comes from, meaning "right" the direction or hand) and "widdershins" (from an older Germanic word meaning "opposite direction").

Clocks made things a lot easier but you still see "widdershins" used in the countryside by older folks in places.

Interesting. I'm familiar with widdershins (mostly because it comes up in fantasy books, especially with witches and similar magic incantation type stuff) but I had no idea it had a counterpart and have never heard the word "deasil".

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Just a quick note regarding coolant: y'all seemed to think coolant would automatically be super cold (thus, frost effect) - actually a lot of coolant used in the real world isn't. It's just efficient at heat transfer, cooler than what's being cooled, easy to circulate, etc. Water is the most common coolant used in the real world, including on some nuclear reactors etc. There are even applications where the coolant is very hot - but temperature stable, and still cooler than the thing being cooled. Liquid sodium is used to cool some fast reactors, for example.

Obviously whatever they're using in this level is meant to be some exotic substance the Covenant have (hence, glowing green). But there's a decent chance it's not cold.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's not surprising to me that Master Chief and Cortana are the sole survivors. It is weird to me that there's no mention of trying to contact or warn anyone else other than calling in Foehammer. Like, if they knew everyone else was dead, that would be one thing. But it didn't seem that way.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I always got the impression that when the Pfhor unleashed the trih xeem at the end of Marathon 2 that they unleashed the W'rkncacnter and it proceeded to start getting all Eldritch and unraveling reality and time. Infinity is you bouncing around various timelines trying to set things right and prevent the W'rkncacnter from being unleashed.

Those are definitely words that you used.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

dismas posted:

The plot to the marathon trilogy owns

I never beat the later Marathons but they're still my favorite Bungie games tbh. No shade on Halo or Destiny, but neither feels nearly as ahead of their time to me, or nearly as narratively rich.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

Destiny's narrative is split across weapon/armour descriptions, pixel hunting for very obscure lore dumps in overworld locations and story blurbs on the main Destiny site.

Most of the best stuff can be found on their website and fans are forever going "This is great but why isn't it in-game?"

I mean, I definitely like the Destiny lore that's actually accessible, but...most of it isn't. Not least because they keep doing time-limited event-based lore stuff.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

El Spamo posted:

I know that every so often some folks talk about a re-release or re-mastering of Marathon in a modern engine or something, but at the end of the day it's a goodish FPS along with so many other FPSs. I can't think of another game that has quite the same format as Myth, and that's a game that I wouldn't mind seeing re-imagined in some way. Aleph One and Project Magma keep those old flames alive, but while Marathon is in the family of FPS I can't quite think of another game that has the small-unit real-time tactics style that Myth had.

Ground Control.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I found Aliens to be derivative on first viewing because I'd spent my entire life consuming media that cribbed every single iota of Aliens, down to individual lines of dialogue
Great movie though

This is basically the problem I had with the original Halloween. Sure, it innovated all these slasher movie tropes. But watching it for the first time after decades of movies using, abusing, and mocking those tropes, it just felt like a stale assemblage of tropes.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I have to say, I bounced off the franchise more than once because the original Halo felt very repetitive and the little bit of Reach I played did not feel meaningfully different from the first Halo. Halo 2 is feeling a lot more varied and full of cool set pieces so far. (I mean, the bugs and stay in one spot shooting Flood bits aren't great, but...)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'd definitely be interested in seeing Halo Wars. There doesn't seem to have been an SA-associated Let's Play and I'm generally leery of random Youtube Let's Plays. (I was considering watching Keith Ballard's coop play as I find him at least tolerable...but he can also be a bit frustrating at times.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
You'd think the people doing the Halo 2 Anniversary Edition would have made Halo 2 Anniversary Miranda Keyes look like identifiably the same person as Halo 3 Miranda Keyes.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, never forget that the Spartan program was supposed to be a way to put down rebel activity in human colonies, which was also basically run by space Mengele.

I'm not going to claim that the Halo show is amazing, but one of the complaints I've regularly been seeing about it is how much it leans into the UNSC as space fascists and I'm like "...that's probably the part that's most lore accurate."

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Samovar posted:

Blah, I can't find a video - but in the old RTS Dune II you could move treaded vehicles over infantry units, there would be a death-scream sound effect that was cut off with a CRUNCH, then when you moved off the area, there was a red smear. It was very visceral.

Same goes for the early Command and Conquer games. Vehicles versus basic infantry was a very one-sided encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I had never heard of Minotaur; that's rad

Yeah, it was very early in Bungie's life and on Mac exclusively, so it wasn't exactly a household name. They also did a turn-based wargame, I forget what it was called.

There was an era when Bungie was constantly doing new experimental things. I was sad when they ended up just doing Halo over and over, for all that these games have cool things to offer. And now Destiny for well over a decade. But I suppose at a certain point you find the thing that works for you and stick with it.