Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I never knew the Halo Extended Lore when I played Halo 3 back in the day (well, okay, watched a friend play it because I didn't have a 360) before this LP filled me in on it, but now knowing the history of the SPARTAN program I find Cortana/Halsey's line at the beginning about Master Chief being lucky funny because (hot take incoming :v:) imo being kidnapped, horribly experimented on, and forced into military service on borderline suicide missions would be the definition of unlucky. I mean I guess he's still alive so silver linings I guess? :confuoot:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well we can't be done with the Flood yet so I'm curious to see if Half-Jaw is just real lovely at glassing planets or what.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think the clear implication is that the man simply snapped under the horror and pressure and went murderously paranoid.

Trying to convince him that "no, I'm not infected"? Sounds like something an infected person would say! No choice, gotta kill them! It's better this way! They won't get me!

Yeah that's the way I read it. Talking about how they hadn't turned but how he could see the Flood under their skin or whatever. Poor guy's mind just snapped in the middle of this zombie movie he's living in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Aside from like one more cutscene and the very ending, we're officially past the point where I know anything about Halo canon so I'm real excited to see where things are going from here.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

It's HIT that big rear end ramp!

No, Kibayasu was right

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Is that from Blood on the Sand?

Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgSXldDcLdY

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Forerunner tech authentication sucks. Like, we've seen this twice now with Keyes in Halo 2 and Johnson just now; they both resist activating rings but all it takes is someone forcefully jamming their hand onto the big glowing button to start up the doom system. The Covenant (and Spark) keep saying they need the humans to activate the rings but really all it looks like is that they need to cut off a human's hand to activate... I don't know, I guess a fingerprint scanner?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Outpost22 posted:

What kind of tests? Guess the dice roll, pick a card from a deck? Win the lottery?

EDIT: Oh, it was a coin toss

The Spartans' orange face visors were inspired by one kid's sweet sunglasses that he wore when he just dominated the World UNSC Series of Poker :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have no idea how Frenzy knew where they were going on the way back out of the High Charity.

I've always hated levels where you're crawling around inside something alive, it's always a nightmare.

System Shock 2 came out in 1999 and had sphincter doors. I think it might have been the earliest game like that, not counting 2-D sidescrollers.

Here's one of the doors, with a cool tidbit on how they got the textures for the Many:

that is one of the biggest TMI dev notes I've seen in all of video games

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 6, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Very convenient for Master Chief that apparently his chunk of the Forward Unto Dawn contained cryo-pods and a console for Cortana that apparently have independent power sources

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how often the ODSTs hear that "nice of you to drop in" joke (or some variation of it), and how quick it takes them to get sick of it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, ACAB to the extreme

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ablative posted:

I mean, if you ignore the part where the Covenant is a theocratic dictatorship that started a genocidal war because its current leaders found out they weren't actually gods-to-be and decided to kill the newly contacted to keep this a secret and themselves in power, sure.

Yeah, you do not in fact, gotta give it to them

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna say "you guys are a little obsessed with using the MAC blast" but then I remembered that the entirety of me playing Starcraft back in the day was just forcing my way up the tech tree until I could build Battlecruisers and spam Yamato blasts, so I'd be a total hypocrite.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly surprised you didn't do an all-Scorpion run but going whole hog is a bold move

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the Elephant was getting guns on lockdown to make it more like, well, a base. Or to draw a parallel to a game I actually know, like how when a Siege Tank in Starcraft goes into siege mode, it's range expands.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure it's not that hard if you're good at RTSes but man that whole "Kill all the flood bases at once" seems like it'd be very difficult

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like that every time you highlight a Cyclops that's doing repair work it still registers as "Building Killer"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For being so advanced, the Forerunners really should have put some safeguard in their tech against it just taking like, a handprint or a voice command from a human to activate, like the multiple times in the series the Covenant have made humans activate doomsday weapons under duress.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, "blow up the sun" is a big step up from the classic "nuke whatever planet/base/etc you're on" Halo ending

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The idea of a prequel game being in a conflict you know you'll lose is a very novel one. I mean, I'm sure they didn't invent that but I can't think of many games, particularly more action-y ones, that are like that. Well aside from there probably being a CoD game out there set in Vietnam...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jorge: "Hey new guy, you remind me of this guy I used to know, John. He didn't talk much either."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
*Six leaning in*

"Dude, Jorge, your mom suuucks"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah normally I frown upon the idea of an unregulated militias but if I lived in a world where genocidal aliens are a known threat, I would be loaded up like the loving Punisher.

edit: oh since I mentioned Punisher, another story of insurrectionists having hollowed-out asteroids is Asteroid M, an asteroid converted into a space station by Magneto as a base/hideout for the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

My question is this. Are we sure Jorge is dead? Remember when Kat explained what happened to the colony ship. They just subspace jumped away a portion of the carrier. The cruiser Jorge is on is still completely intact. What's not to say he commandeered it, and jumped it somewhere else.

There's only one Spartan that gets to live through things that really should kill him, and his name is John Halo Master Chief.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Would they have survived the deorbit like Noble Six did, not being Spartans themselves?

If they had armor lock on at the right time :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

biosterous posted:

"do you have it"/"i have it" feels like it's an officially required response thing, like "you are relieved"/"i stand relieved"

I feel like it's more of an overly dramatic thing like "you do know that has the last hope of humanity right? This ain't any other objective, you cannot gently caress this up even a little."

The only problem with the moment is after the Covenant showed up by the shitload and started glassing cities, we're well past the point of the "poo poo just got real" moment, so it rings a little hollow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't really like the Cortana retcon. I mean I guess it's kinda neat that by creating/merging her with this Forerunner tech it makes her more of a unique AI, but having her finding Halo be planned (while feigning it being a random jump and seemingly not telling Keyes or Master Chief anything for... reasons?) as some 5D chess play by her (and I guess Halsey kinda sorta) feels dumb.

Anyway, RIP to Noble Six, sorry about the worst first day on the job in history, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smax posted:

For what it’s worth I have always liked your intro videos, you do a good job summarizing what’s going on between the games.

Same. It's a nice throwback to see what some of the circumstances were that led to the games being how they are.