Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The control room level was when I started to notice the levels repeating, even as a starry eyed 2000's video game player. Though it didn't really hit me until another level later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Chief remember my wish, if I ever turn into some kind of horrible flesh abomination used to neurally control an alien ship, be sure to punch me right in the loving face."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad you were able to finish this fight.

Edit: Also here's Guilty Spark's time in space https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZUpggRKOms

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 29, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Put the Mako in Burnout EA you cowards.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I hope there was at least a paragraph dedicated to the concept of "What if two guns?"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Those cutscenes are extremely shiny but they certainly went all out on them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Halo always seemed to have a thing for vehicle sections in tunnels and Halo 2 is no different.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember being kind of disappointed that the game left Earth so quickly. Obviously we gotta go do the space stuff but it's a really strong opening that leaves you wanting more.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A level where I wonder if there is a hidden time limit (probably already tested by more than one person though).

But yeah its really hard to imagine just how big Jupiter is and how long you would fall through them, assuming of course you're still living and could escape like that video said. I think those people that have skydived from the stratosphere were in freefall for something like 4 or 5 minutes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At this point its playing the safe odds that if you can do something in a Bungie Halo game it was in some part intentional. I know plenty of games have hidden stuff out of bounds for a long time but Bungie seem to go out of their way to make sure you can go there (instead of falling through textures) and find something for your trouble a lot of the time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Obviously the reason halo 2 (the halo structure, not the video game) looks a bit different from halo 1 (again, the structure) is that the forerunners commissioned the Magratheans who just had to throw in their own little twists and quirks.

Regret is still one of the goofiest boss fights in a video game. Right up there with fist fighting the pope at the end of Assassin's Creed 2. Something about punching otherwise fairly defenseless old men and/or beings.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The best case for sci-fi fascism being the quasi-standard in video games is that it makes it easier to just focus on the shooting and not have to worry about anything too complicated.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Arbiter knows a good weapon when they see one. The universal language isn't math, its shotguns.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I imagine the Brute calling the other Elite a coward after the latter maybe-sorta sacrifices himself (which only the player knows about) is the point in a "wait a minute, that guy isn't actually a coward!" sense. The Elites aren't cowards after all, they're just idiots. Evidence, this incredibly predictable betrayal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gravemind is a lot more gribbly in that cutscene. In the original I remember him being much more Little Shop of Horrors. Though really for all the pretty speech its just "Please don't let the Covenant blow me up along with the whole galaxy again because you'll die too."

Halo 2 does kind of suffer from a large lack of context in this part. Without the ~~lore~~ you brought up in the previous update I would have been just as confused now as I was then about why a civil war, why Elites vs Brutes, why are the grunts and Hunters (I think?) with the Elites, why the Jackals and Drones are just going along with the status quo. You're just thrust into the middle of it without much beyond "Well the Arbiter doesn't like the Brutes and the Brutes don't much like the Arbiter either."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Love the Gravemind hacking the PA system. Like, dude, who the gently caress you even talking to?

Would have been neat to hear a war of words between Truth and Gravemind, trying to pacify/terrify whatever the populace on High Charity is. As it is I almost imagine that Truth is just a recording and Gravemind is just too annoyed hearing it not to respond.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

11 - Uprising

Time for the Arbiter to get a little payback on the traitorous Brutes.

I guess this is another level who's context got cut, seems like the "councilors" could be a kind of internal Elite leadership. Bet you were supposed to meet them earlier in the game too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I still laugh a little at that ending. It's not just ending on a cliffhanger while giving no closure to anything new from Halo 2 but also that the boss fight is honestly barely a boss fight, Master Chief is nowhere to be seen, and the character you are playing as doesn't even really get to do the big thing.

Also apparently all you need to do to activate Halo is grab a human hand and use it to the press the button so as long as there's a preserved human forearm somewhere no problem.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, that cleared up a lot of confusion. Thanks.

I always wondered how the sargent and captain got to Earth first.

Same way Johnson got back to Earth the first time, in a way cooler game that was never made.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If nothing else I would have noticed that distinct lack of shiny in the cutscenes. I guess its easy to look at a 360 game compared to an Xbox game and not see as much need to upgrade the former but compared to the sheer amount of improvement put into Halo 2 its kind of an odd decision.

I guess if the Arbiter is the player co-op character he's always going to be around? And you won't ever play as him I guess.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Out of curisoty, do the CoMo's ®™ work in co-op because it seems the Arbiter convenient disappears from single player whenever one is going to happen.

malkav11 posted:

You'd think the people doing the Halo 2 Anniversary Edition would have made Halo 2 Anniversary Miranda Keyes look like identifiably the same person as Halo 3 Miranda Keyes.

From what gets implied it seems the plan was to make a remade (ish) Halo 3 version look like the remade Halo 2 version but the remade Halo 3 just became Halo 3 but can play it again at some point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The mongoose is incredibly silly but for Halo's friendly AI it works extremely well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That was a real quick transition from the start of a zombie movie to "crying in the corner over lost humanity and mumbling about suicide." That was, what, 5 minutes? Get a hold of yourself man.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know its mostly a space war and planets just end up getting blown up but with tanks like they have you have to wonder how the humans lost any battle at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yo Spartan jump over that big rear end ramp!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All marines are given portable velcro kits to aid in standing on the side of flying and/or fast moving vehicles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you made a joke every time a butthole door appeared in Prey 2006 you'd run out of jokes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The chief said its finished so the fight is finished.

Anyways it's a good thing John Halo can wear that suit in cryo so it can keep him occupied during the wait.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Its mongi.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If there's one that that had to have been planned for Halo 3 but cut it would be an inevitable buddy-cop bromance between Chief and Arbiter right? Chief wouldn't exactly be the funny one but compared to Arbiter he would be.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did ODST get even the relatively minor touch-ups that Halo 3 got? It seems pretty muddy and jaggy so far but maybe that's just how it looked.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wasn't expecting the character switching, that's sort of neat for a Halo game at that point. Daylight helped the look of the game too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess the drone is supposed to have watched that whole fight because otherwise its just a random piece of debris that somehow tells the story of that level.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Making the ODST play mostly the same is completely understandable, especially in something that was originally DLC, but it is fun to think about is how a theoretical game would play if you everything wasn't the same as the chief. Besides the whole brainwashed child solder thing the main "advantage" seems like the suit and shields - humans use the same weapons so its not really a difference in firepower - so you'd probably base the main differences around that. That kind of removes being able to base the game around a single soldier killing dozens of aliens though so maybe it turns into a more "tactical" shooter like Full Spectrum Warrior, Brothers in Arms, or the XCOM Bureau game where its kind of more of a puzzle of how to do something without losing too much - distracting, flanking, and use the few big guns you do have smartly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There's other mods for SPT that try to make it more like an actual single player game rather than just disabling other players or adjusting health amounts. It's still within what was made as a multiplayer game so it doesn't work for everything but there are some people out there that really want to play EFT by themselves. One of the more recent ones combines a bunch of mods which change a bunch of things more suited to multiplayer and also turns EFT quasi open world with the map exits linked to the spawns on other maps (so the Road to Customs extract will take you to Customs) and smaller hideouts between the maps, different from the main hideout. Traders are also only accessed from certain extractions. It's all kind of janky and ambitious.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Nice to see a big setpiece battle where you aren't expected to win, but have to repeatedly retreat.

Kind of lost its oomph once you're inside though, those fights have to actually be beatable.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly surprised there wasn't a sniper section before crossing the crane. That's exactly the kind of location there's always something like that.

Ablative posted:

The sniper rifle weighs 20 kilos and Rookie caught it with one hand. He then managed to bend the barrel a bit. Good god.

Its probably easier to bend metal once its already been bent like that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've got it, these are flashbacks inside the Rookie's head and he just looks up to the rest of the squad so much that he imagines Buck could totally use a brute hammer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kind of a large but previously unknown piece of the lore to just throw as your twist at this late in the series (at the time) with no introduction at all but still neat. Among other things, though some characters acted like this might be normal during the flashbacks so I'm not sure, it also explains why the AI was always talking in pre-recorded voice lines

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

More like a radio play than your typical audio log. Got a touch bizarre in places like with the salesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In regards to what kind of ideas you can do in Halo a Youtube channel I watch had a recent video comparing Mass Effect to Warhammer/40K. Both are fictions with a ton of ~lore~, alien races, factions within factions within factions, crazy historical events from entire worlds with their own history, cultural clashes, just so much to draw on for almost anything you want to do with it. Yet Mass Effect only had 4 mainline games, 1 of which is resetting things to 0 in a new location anyways, and a smattering of other media (books, animation) because EA keeps it under lock and key whereas Warhammer and 40K probably have something for you no matter what kind of genre of video game, movie, or book you're looking for because (at least more recently) Games Workshop have just been giving it out to anybody who can demonstrate they can make something. There's something to be said about trying to make sure everything you make for A Thing is always of consistent quality but that can also make everything into a sort of grey mush of similarities. Sure there's a ton of poo poo Warhammer games now but you probably only remember the good ones anyways unless its a spectacular failure. You could apply the exact same comparison to Halo where there's always hints of big things going on over there just off screen but the game is about a space soldier shooting space aliens with space guns so it always has to be just that. Halo Reach was praised just for having the "audacity" of putting a space soldier into an inevitable lost battle.

Anyways game still good and so was LP.