Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's amazing how many genre changing things halo did mechanically that were great. And then the campaign itself was absolute trash that required the devs to literally paint arrows on the ground because the player was still going to get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Good news, soldier! We made it!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The humans are hopelessly outgunned and outmanned. MC and friends are basically fighting a guerilla war at this point.

That said covenant tech isn't strictly superior. In general covenant weapons are stronger against shields, but human weapons rip through unshielded flesh. For example the pistols and their one two punch to take out elites.(charge plasma shot will drop shields instantly but isnt great after that, and the pistol one shots them with a headshot but has trouble getting through the shield. By their powers combined even the toughest elite variants go down to a measly two bullets.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Being able to hijack the banshee here is pretty odd because if I remember right it's drat close to, and possibly outright, the only time the player can pilot one.

Which is interesting, because you were very clearly not intended to invalidate the level like that. So the banshee was fully realized and player controllable despite the fact that the devs didn't intend you to have any access to it.

They did patch them into the PC version eventually if I remember middle school wars over which version was better.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Keyes. We will never forget you and your memorable valor of....
of....

Well you landed the ship better than the one we rode down, so that counts right?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I really love that ending for some reason. It's very bleak and desolate in a way that matches the rest of the game and the sole survivor bit fits with the shift into horror genre the game does. It would be a real shame if almost all of it got retconned later on...

And as much poo poo as I gave Keyes for being a nonentity last time, landing the ship instead of letting it crash land DID kind of save the day in the end, so I might have been a tad too mean.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think my favorite gag is probably the way the game starts off with the serious drama about if the covenant get Cortana they can find earth.

And then you get to the end of the game and guilty spark starts laughing at humanity for being dumb enough to put all this info in her.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Next you'll tell me having the superweapon designed to stop a doomsday event specifically require an outsider show up to fire it was a bad idea. What, you think they'll chose to live and just blow it up or something?
Or hell, they could just get eaten not knowing it existed to fire. Or get eaten before they can fly over.

....We really didn't think these plans through did we?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Until now I never realized how much the warthog needed a shitton of Jerry cans strapped to it for no reason.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

So we mentioned Sgt Johnson surviving the first game, but there's also the covenant commander now. "We're alone," huh Cortana?

Maybe the swap from the sole survivor horror movie ending to action movie bomb goofiness is a lot more jarring to me because I didn't seriously play through the story modes until halo 3 was out. I got that back to back rather than the wait everyone else had.

That said this level is amazing and everything said about the opening and ending cutscenes is true.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

dismas posted:

Man I completely forgot about this level. In my head the game starts on Earth.

How on earth did you forget giving the covenant back their bomb? It's so cheesy and good

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Watching that hunter punt a jackal towards the end was beautiful.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Halo 2 actually makes the whole civil war seem kinda "clean" with well defined lines, Brutes vs. Elites and every other species chooses a side. We definitely find out later that the divisions between loyalists, separatists, and "other" is a whole lot more blurry. Like you say, a lot of the lower caste species end up siding with the leaders of whichever fleet they happened to be serving in, for the sake of survival rather than any ideology.

I think the game did an okay job introducing the animosity between Brutes and Elites, especially with the changing of the Honor Guard. But yeah it really needed a cutscene or level with some exposition as to how this thing kicked off. I mentioned it a little bit, but it's still so strange that the civil war is coinciding with Truth broadcasting about how great everything is going and how close they are to the Great Journey.

I actually really dig his everything is fine meme attitude.

And it kind of makes sense given the end cutscene there pretty clearly spells out he doesn't care what happens to anyone but himself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Love the Gravemind hacking the PA system. Like, dude, who the gently caress you even talking to?

Pretty sure he's just taking jabs at truth.

"I have mercy right here"
"Man that guy was delicious"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I honestly struggle to call this a cliff hanger. They all but tell you that earth is the super special place where all the rings can be fired now but... everyone was already going there? They've primed you to go and do this big fight, but the only real tension at this point is that the flood have cortana(And thus have the power to join the fight on earth) and could do all kinds of weird poo poo with that. It feels more like a roller coaster breaking down at the top of the lift hill, instead of dangling off a cliff you're just sitting there going "that's it? We're stopping here?"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The first thing I noticed is that all our marines at the start had guns. Would have been fun if the one Johnson robbed for chief started off unarmed for the movement tutorial and had picked up a covenant gun when you link back up with johnson.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wait really? I thought he was fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Samovar posted:

Then again, these same Brutes do use Choppers to drive around in, potentially the stupidest looking method of transportation I've ever seen.

OK, but it also let's you make bad Predator jokes so it's actually the best vehicle in the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Weren't the flood attacking earth already? Half jaw glasses a continent trying to stop them, I think.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Man, I watched an LP of DNF years ago and I couldn't tell you a single thing about that game. Just completely forgettable.

I remember you get shrunk and drive an rc car or something and that you boosted your health by looking at yourself in the mirror n poo poo.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Remember that it was established right back in Halo 1 that the Halos don't kill the Flood, they kill the Flood's food.

Honestly, I think the writers of Halo 3 just plain forgot that because this plan makes no loving sense unless you assume the Flood would be left stranded on the Ark, never again a threat to the galaxy. Given that the Flood are sentient and can repurpose and sabotage Forerunner technology (see Halo 2), this is... probably not the best idea.

As for the Gravemind(s), if you take the Forerunner trilogy as canon, there is only ever one Gravemind, and all its memories are encoded into the DNA of every single Flood spore. Unless you wipe out every last Flood spore in existence, everywhere, the Gravemind will remain.

And according to the same books, we never do see a real Gravemind in the games, this one's just a larval version. :v:

Yeah, I always just figured there weren't any dark templars around to stop the overlord from reincarnating in the Halo world.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Didn't the portal shut down and cut them off (and our ship in) too? It doesn't matter if they weren't killed instantly if they're trapped way the hell outside the galaxy.

Which one the note of the ship getting cut in two:
Chief took cortana with him, so she wasn't flying the ship anymore. The arbiter not only crewed that massive thing single handed, he did so so well he got it back to port after it got ripped in half.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, no engines is a glider and still works fine, being ripped in half is a bigger deal. The miracle on the Hudson was a miracle because when engines go to poo poo during take off the plane doesn't have enough speed to maintain lift on that side and will try very hard to roll to that side and consequently dive into the ground.

The big thing that I was going for is that real life ships and especially warships take a ton of people just to get the thing moving from A to B. They're very different beasts from airplanes that can be handled by 1-2 people, and the scale on the spaceships here is much closer to a ship than a plane.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm sure she's probably still alive somwhere, but the spook stabbing the team in the back by lying to them about the mission, having poo poo go to hell because of that, and then immediately dying would also be on point.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, I thought he looked like Fillion.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Geemer posted:

On the one hand I think it's neat how they made the city AI only speaks in stock voice clips or traffic signs.

On the other hand you, this is a world where fully sapient AI exists and it seems weird for the city AI to be limited like that.

I think it'd fit better if Cortana hadn't already been an established character, or had been some kind of forerunner relic.

I registered my car over a landline and the station printed me stuff for it on a dot matrix printer. The city ai being ancient and outdated compared to experimental* military tech is probably the most believable thing here.

*the second the tech gets streamlined for mass production it will also go to dogshit

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's got some 'first episode CGI' issues, and there are a few incredibly cheesy moments, such as a few brief shots from first person view and the obligatory shield depleted/recharging noise during a firefight, but that's about it.

Also we see Master Chief's face.

As of the end of the first episode, it looks like it's doing its own thing. Yes, there's still the Covenant and rebelling human worlds, and the Spartan program and all that, but it's not just a remake of the first game.

And that's what seems to be driving certain segments of the online world insane.

don't you mean the helmet under his helmet?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

So far I've heard all of one other person's opinion, and he spewed a bunch of poo poo that I don't know whether to believe or not. Stuff that's either making assumptions, exaggerating wildly, or something, or maybe he's right and it's not a great show.

Let's just say I'm hoping he was just making stuff up, because if he was telling the truth, it spells BAD things for people who are hoping for it to stick to lore, even if they don't stick to the details of the games.

Oh no.

Oh no.

Don't tell me they directly state his suit doesn't jerk him off!?!?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ban hammers?!?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Even evil murdering rapist monsters can be patriots :patriot:

Oh yuck. I was really confused when he was still trying the kidnapping after he killed her dad, and that would actually make sense.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ablative posted:

I mean, if you ignore the part where the Covenant is a theocratic dictatorship that started a genocidal war because its current leaders found out they weren't actually gods-to-be and decided to kill the newly contacted to keep this a secret and themselves in power, sure.

Okay, but if you ignore the war, and the genocide, and releasing the flood, and attempting to fire the doomsday weapons: What have the covenant ever done to us?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

bewilderment posted:

The ending of this level always seemed a little anticlimactic to me. Sure, there's the approaching carrier in the background, but otherwise it's kind of just a pleasant sunset and other than the waves of enemies it doesn't feel as 'final' as the finales of the other games.

I feel like it could have been greatly improved by switching the rookie and Dare. Since they won't let you man the gun and ate making you primarily fight by running over dudes, why not have given the player the shielded juggernaut trampling all the cars in its way?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ablative posted:

...I think they mean "have the Rookie drive the garbage truck".

Look, who's driving is immaterial here: the only important thing is that they set up that scene and then had you play the person driving the warthog and not the one driving the garbage truck doomrolling down the highway.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm trying to come up with a pun for not skipping it, but I always feel like they're Reaching a bit too much.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Donk

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

A few other notes:

* Upgrading your central base structure not only unlocks new stuff, it adds more building slots to the base.

* Flamethrowers are pretty bad. They're very short-ranged, and the Covenant will gleefully ram them with vehicles or bring in units that are much more dangerous up close.

* Your score is based on the time you take to complete the mission, how many enemies you kill, and how many secondary and bonus objectives you complete.

I note that no where in that list is anything about minimizing casualties. :black101:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man. Jorge is just sitting there doing his whole dramatic sacrifice thing with Rodgers and Hanaford sitting there in the background without any way to jump at all. Jerk didn't even offer them his pack (not that they had contained helmets to survive space anyway).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

"Keep a low profile. We take them by surprise, this will be a hell of a lot easier"

*6 proceeds to grab several space bazookas, hand the bazookas to their marines, and then have everyone jump in/on a tank before charging right at the enemy*

"Take it, lieutenant. ...She has made her choice."

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man, all these people talking about how the series writing takes a swan dive off a cliff and the ending story and stuff, and then there's me sitting over here still laughing at the absolute deadeye marine you handed the spartan laser off to.