Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

No, it was like that in the original. Some cutscenes are actually slightly different, but they're still in-engine and with the original dialogue, so the changes are just slightly different timing or camera angles.

I think a couple of them also have minor puppeteering changes because of the new and amazing technology known as "individual fingers" but I could be wrong.

Anyway these games were my loving childhood.

...Even if I never actually finished Halo 1 until i was like 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Chief at least is extremely pale from a lack of direct sunlight, since he apparently wears his armour all the drat time.

Other than that, they're basically just big humans, yeah. Chief's 6'10" and 285lbs out of his armour.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

- if the Master Chief took one of the last lifeboats off the Pillar of Autumn, how are more arriving after his crashed?

I assumed Cortana meant "there's one pod left in this area" rather than "there's one pod left on the entire ship".

e: Also, last to leave doesn't always mean last to arrive.

Ablative fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 15, 2021

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

I will say, Keyes himself does use standard Marine AI during that last segment, and AI in Halo 1 absolutely hammers on the Needler when they get in combat, so it's entirely possible you're simply having trouble getting Keyes actually into the combat. But if you position yourself poorly, you can honestly get yourself filled with needles, though it can be difficult. I suspect there was some... cooperation between the two of you in your past to get you so consistently shredded by Keyes.

The AI will *attempt* to avoid shooting friendlies, but they don't always succeed - and as I noted previously, the Marines will actually apologize for it when they hit a friendly! Keyes doesn't get any generic combat dialogue though; aside from scripted dialogue, he's mute.

Also, as far as I know, this is the only time in Halo 1 where human NPCs wield Covenant weaponry.

He doesn't actually use entirely vanilla Marine AI.

See, vanilla Marine AI has a "taunt enemy" action.

Where they shoot a corpse. Repeatedly.

Yeah, they got rid of that pretty quick.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Something I'd like to note about the Anniversary graphics: they do actually change something about the gameplay.

Or rather, they don't, and that's a problem. The collision geometry stays the same whether you're in classic or anniversary mode, even though they don't always match up quite right.

I found this out by spending five minutes trying to snipe through the cliff edge at the start of Truth and Reconciliation.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

hectorgrey posted:

To be fair to the hunters, their weak spot is a lot harder to hit when you're using a controller, which is what the game was originally designed around. With a controller, I find it much easier to melee them to death.

...Eh? I was talking about terrain geometry.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

I have a confession to make.

I get lost on this level way more than the Library. I don't know why, I just cannot navigate this loving place.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I know you can swap between remastered and normal graphics on the fly, can you do it in the middle of cut scenes as well?

You cannot in Halo 1, but you can in Halo 2. No, I don't know why either.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

You know, I used to like libraries as a kid.

But never this one. gently caress this level. I might have had more trouble navigating the last one, but this one is still just... so dull. So endlessly, painfully dull.

Anyway, some things that got lost in the gunfire:

Spark recommends you upgrade to a class 12 combat skin, as your current one (the pinnacle of human armour development and probably worth the combined GDP of half the colonies on its own) scans as a class 2.

He also notes that there are ten portals you have to go through to get to the Index. You only go through seven blast doors though (oh look it's that number again). Maybe he's counting the elevators.

He offers a tour of the installation's research facilities, too. Once you're done with the whole "stopping the Flood" nonsense, you know.

And sometimes when you shoot him, he'll ask you politely to... stop being human. That has no bearing on the plot or anything, it's just funny.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I know that the Flood getting back up has been talked about, but I feel like the mechanic behind it hasn't been mentioned. The infection forms can jump into downed combat forms and make them get back up, right? It's been a long time since I've played, but seeing this level reminded me of carriers being a threat both because they would blow you up, but also because each one could possibly resurrect all of the Flood you'd just killed

Nope, in Halo 1 they just stand back up sometimes. In every game since that has been how it worked, though.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

True. At the very least, we're closer to what's needed than any of the other humans.

Oh, another thing from the novel, actually: Chief wasn't the first poor bastard Spark dragged through the Library.

Enter one SSgt Marvin Mobuto, who, as a regular-rear end human being with regular-rear end Marine gear, made it a drat sight farther than you'd think.

And in the process managed to get so torn up the Flood couldn't use his body.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Ice physics show up in Halo 1 exactly three times (four if you count PC multiplayer): Assault on the Control Room, this level, and Sidewinder (and Ice Fields on PC.)

The Warthog is the only vehicle affected by it.

Halo PC multiplayer has the Banshee and the flamethrower, as mentioned, but it also has a rocket Warthog, and the Fuel Rod Gun.

The second betrayal in the title of the level is Bungie's, for making you slog through AotCR's maps again.

Also, Widdershins is a real word. Just means "counter-clockwise".

Ablative fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 5, 2021

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Well, the Flood don't seem to care about the trees, so maybe their food needs nerves? It would be a little goofy to see a Flood pine tree

Spark mentions they need sufficient mass and cognitive capability.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Right. Keyes.

The level I always forget exists.

We talked about the flamethrower earlier, and it's relevant again! This level originally featured it!

You were supposed to burn the implants out of the Captain's skull with it.
This was changed because the reference material was... Well, remember how Mortal Kombat gave its devs PTSD?

Other things to note, uh... Oh! That thing with the shields mentioned last episode, where you can launch yourself if you time a jump on them right as they come back? The only way to make the par time in this level. It's annoying.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, if the Pillar had just crashed into it, wouldn't that have destroyed the ring, too? But then there wouldn't have been a game.

The Pillar of Autumn is one and a bit kilometres long.

Halo is 318km wide, and 20-odd deep. The Autumn isn't breaking that at any speed she can achieve under her own power.

Also, the astute among you may have noticed an issue with the Warthog Run, given the Autumn's stated length. I can only assume UNSC shipwrights have mastered TARDIS technologies.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Legendary ending was never canon anyway.

Also there are a lot of guys with that character model, so even if it was they could just say it wasn't actually Johnson.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

I mean he was probably nowhere near the Autumn when she blew. He's insane, not stupid. The second he realised it was over he probably teleported to a safe distance.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about

Guy on YouTube, name of InfernoPlus, did Massive Crimes to Halo Custom Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMxIjGjMJz0

It's... A thing.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

White Coke posted:

When do we learn why the Covenant can’t reload their guns?

Same reason you don't just replace the battery in your phone when it gets low. Rechargeable batteries.

Chief just doesn't have the right cord.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

the first Elite that John meets (the first Elite ever encountered by humanity, at least according to this book) is portrayed as his complete equal and drat near kills him in a fair fight.

OK I think I've held my tongue enough: they retconned the early books to gently caress and back later on, and actually put out reprints of them with corrections; for instance, this Elite was nowhere near the first encountered by humanity, and in fact they'd been seen in combat operations pretty much since the start of the war.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

It's entirely possible to have a geosynchronous orbit that isn't based around the equator, it just won't be geostationary.

Regardless though, the cluster is a few thousand miles south of the stations' namesakes, you can see the Nile delta in the opening cutscene and it's definitely not directly below the Cairo.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The Covenant commander surviving doesn't surprise me, they had a whole fleet at Halo and I gather they skipped out when Halo blew.

An alarming lack of point defense on the battle stations, I must note.

They've got point defence, it's just the Covenant have a lot more boarding craft.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Ok, a station built around a single gun, yeah that's cool.

But, uh... Shouldn't it be moving from side-to-side in order to hit targets? The Covenant ships aren't staying still.

It was originally supposed to, but I think it gave playtesters motion sickness.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Although, it seems that the MCC lost the instrumental version of Blow Me Away for when the Hunters appear. I'm going to guess dumb stupid licensing issues?

They did lose the license, but it didn't play there to begin with. You're thinking of something pretty far down the line.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Now if only the actual human troops looked and sounded like they came from Africa...

I mean, the ones you're rolling with aren't, they're deployed from In Amber Clad.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This video is a little meme-y, but I think it gets the feeling across: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKX-aI1TQXM

Those fuckers don't even need to be looking at you to kill you on Legendary. They will shoot behind themselves, full 180 to their facing angle.

And they show up on the rooftops in the holding section on Legendary, too. If you needed more reason to just go roof hopping.

Also the Scarab doesn't have a super needler, its secondaries are just fuckoff huge plasma cannons.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Metropolis always feels like one of the bigger levels, even though it's just like... the bridge, a bit of highway tunnel, a couple parks, a plaza, and the Scarab.

Like, that's all there is to it. It's actually quite short. Some of the later levels, that are actually massive in terms of space, feel tiny compared to this one.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

That dialogue is one of those "changes based on your difficulty" bits that happens from time to time. Frenzy captured the Normal difficulty speech, so you might be remembering either Heroic or Legendary's version.

Or Easy.

Fun fact, the section title changes on higher difficulties too! On Heroic it's "Ladies Like Grinding Treads", and on Legendary it's "Ladies Like Superior Firepower".

e:f;b

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Second video said they knew they had arrived at Earth, but they didn't know it was humanity's homeworld.

Hell, they didn't know that it was a human world at all, going by Regret's message saying "no human presence was foretold."

Of course an equally likely explanation is just Regret being an idiot.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

That's also why there were primarily boarding craft in the space level, not capital ships, and it's also why Regret bugged out while still in atmosphere, doing what sounded like a blind jump into space while still being in the gravity well of a planet. I don't remember how Halo's FTL works, but in sci-fi, that's always a dangerous move

In-atmo slipspace jumps were thought to be entirely impossible just because of the mechanics behind them (basically ripping a dimensional hole in space, which atmosphere makes rather difficult) until... Cortana pulled one off in First Strike. Which is probably where Regret got the idea, because I swear to loving god the Covenant are incapable of any actual innovation of their own and just steal everything from people who actually know poo poo.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The sword lunge breaks stealth, but I believe the normal B-button melee maintains it.

Having it out doesn't change a drat thing when you're cloaked, either. Apparently a floating polygon of searing-hot plasma isn't that notable, even when it's moving toward you. Very quickly.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah, it's considered a power weapon so it has something like 10-12 attacks before it's empty. If it runs out of ammo the blade disappears and you can still punch people with the hilt, which is pretty hilarious.

Oddly enough, in multiplayer, y'know, where you'd think "balance" would be a major consideration...

It's infinite. No energy bar.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Anniversary terminals are in the MCC, yes.

Frenzy didn't do the CE ones, so I'm assuming 2's are off the board too.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

We do get an explanation for why the Flood are on the station, but it might have been in secondary material or a novel. The Flood research sections were kept in the pod on the end of that chain, so they could be easily jettisoned if they broke out of containment.

It's one of Spark's lines in the boss fight, along with the mine being several centuries older than Halo, and retrofit for this purpose.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Oh, and according to Official Sources, the gas mine was made to process hydrogen, helium, and methane.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I was actually wondering if at the start of the Scarab fight, when you start shooting at guys on top of the thing, if you can go on one of those bridges and get on top of the Scarab yourself way earlier than "intended"?

You absolutely can, and I assumed for years that was the intended way, just jump down and start blasting!

I didn't hear that line about it being trapped until I played through in the MCC.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

I never listened to the sermons because I swear, I would sit there for like five minutes and he never said anything.

I don't know if there's like, a trigger to it or something, but I could never get them to play.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

You know, I never bothered to look up after that cutscene with the fleet dropping out of Slipspace.

Jesus gently caress, that's scary.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Ikasuhito posted:

Funnily enough there are a couple of books that have human rebels side with the Covenant. Though it's only as an attempt to form an alliance rather than outright join them.

It's also predicated on an assumption that the Covenant are fighting the UNSC rather than humanity as a whole.

Somehow this is an assumption made by people who survived a glassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Plasma rifles work like your phone, you don't replace the battery, you just plug a charger into it.

The issue is the Covenant haven't developed portable battery packs, so they have to plug into the mains like it's 2008 or some poo poo.