Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The customizability of Halo multiplayer was (and probably still is?) fantastic. Made a very fun game mode called "ninjahammer" in Halo 3 - one of the smallest maps, everyone is invisible with a gravity hammer and a magnum and infinite ammo. Motion tracker was enabled, but set to the minimum distance, so it would give you just enough warning to go "oh gently caress oh poo poo where are they". Also we made it a rule that you had to get the final kill with the magnum - getting the last kill via hammer or magnum melee put you into last place, with the winner then being the next-highest kills.

Lots of tense creeping around until suddenly there is frantic action and a flurry of violence (that attracts anyone nearby, leading to more frantic action)

gently caress, i wanna play some ninjahammer now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I forget, why is Truth going to Earth? Does he know that the ARC is there and that it will fire off the rings? Does he still have a spark with him, or was the one in covenant possession the one that went with Tartarus? Or is he just leading the armada there to kill the poo poo out of humans?

going off of vague memories:

- the covenant already knows that earth is Very Important, which is why Regret went there in the first place (jumping the gun for personal glory)
- Truth now has extra info from 343 (since Tartarus has been holding him for a while)
- some symbolism about getting to the Ark to survive the Flood idk

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i always try to stick the drone swarm with a grenade when they fly by (the one that's fleeing after you've armed the bomb). great way to get some easy points in arcade mode, too :buddy:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i still love how the pod drop countdown beeps are the multiplayer match start beeps

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

odst troopers definitely throw grenades differently. seems to have much more of an arc to them, instead of just blasting them forward like chief does. your grenades' arc ends up looking a lot more like your allies' arc too, which is neat. still a lil frustrating when you're switching between games though :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

best level in halo mcc if you want to do the "complete levels really fast" weekly challenges. you don't have to kill anything or push any buttons, so it's pretty easy to just grab the ghost that's sitting before the first tunnel and boost through the whole level

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm assuming Wraith as well

no, actually! wraiths aren't driveable in ODST without glitches, just like the anti-air wraiths in 3. if you hijack and punch the driver to death it'll just explode for no (in-universe) reason.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

and now the followup: this is the best mission for the "get X points" challenges. easy to hit 20k points on normal with a few skulls, or heroic with no skulls at all. also fast and fun!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i can say for certain: the trailer exists and i have watched the trailer

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Ablative posted:

The sniper rifle weighs 20 kilos and Rookie caught it with one hand. He then managed to bend the barrel a bit. Good god.

he also punches brutes to death, so,

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Ablative posted:

That might actually be the only one in the campaign, I think all the other Chieftains are either fuel rod guys or cutscenes.

there's more hammers coming up :ssh:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Okay, but if you ignore the war, and the genocide, and releasing the flood, and attempting to fire the doomsday weapons: What have the covenant ever done to us?

they keep calling my good friend mr chief a demon, which is pretty rude imo

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

All that being said, I think the biggest opportunity for interesting alternate Halo stories right now would be something about the UNSC fighting insurrectionists immediately post-war. Move away from the alien stuff for a while and deal with the discomfort of humans killing each other after fighting to avoid extinction. Or lean into the alien stuff and focus on the Arbiter leading his fleet to track down remaining Prophet and Brute factions and wiping them out. I guess I'm saying that the post-war chaos has the biggest potential for interesting stories, but 343i really pushed through into the next big story beats and it's a little hard to move backwards at this point.

they could always pull another ODST and put all sorts of stuff in the gaps between 3 and the 343 games

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:hmmyes:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Samovar posted:

You mean the show? I heard about the first episode, then almost nothing. I guess that means it wasn't good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMxIjGjMJz0

throwing pistol is within the first two minutes, but the whole thing is a treat. InfernoPlus is an incredibly talented modder who only uses his powers for stupid

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

far cry 3 and 4 had a blowtorch repair tool, so did old school battlefront 2

idk about other entries in the series, haven't played them

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

unsc vehicles in mainline halo (as shown so far)
warthog: found in africa
scorpion: found in africa (and elsewhere)
mongoose: found in africa (and elsewhere)
hornet: found in africa (and elsewhere)
elephant: found in africa (and elsewhere)

new vehicles (so far):
grizzly: not found in africa

small spacecraft/fighters have a different naming convention (they are swords)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ok i seriously have to ask, are you paying any attention to the words being written and spoken on the screen while you are playing :psyduck:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

inverted for flight, or not, depending on the game and plane or w/e

one of the reasons that halo reach is the best one is that it allows you to equip all the very silly multiplayer armour and shows it in the cutscenes. noble team misses their old noble six and then up rocks this fucko with spiked furry vambraces and a sword strapped to his back and a hooded plague doctor helmet and says he's the replacement

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the start of the level is actually a map, for firefight :eng101:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i can't believe that jorge is fuckin dead, rip to a real one

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i always justified it as the radiation/emp knocking out the shields, and since kat took a while to put her helmet on afterwards the suit wasn't able to properly start charging the shields again. needs continuous surface area, something something, sci-fi is magic anyway

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"do you have it"/"i have it" feels like it's an officially required response thing, like "you are relieved"/"i stand relieved"

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

SWORDFISHHH posted:

That sort of makes sense except Dr Halsey is a civilian who doesn't play by the rules.

imo that's because most of the rules are about things she doesn't care about at all, whereas this is something she cares about a lot, and using a formal procedure underscores that. really this is all just my headcanon, though

Samovar posted:

Also, I can only surmise that Emile must have magnetic buttcheeks on his armour what with him being able to sit on the ramp - with his legs OUTSIDE, mind you - of an accelerating plane and not getting thrown off.

the armour is really fuckin heavy, so there's more friction maybe? i don't know physics :yayclod:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

halo 4 is really great at a few things:
- sound design of weapons, as mentioned upthread
- there are several encounters you can just run past
- sets everyone's expectations for any future halos

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

he's the supreme commander of the fleet at reach, not a field marshal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

just a reminder that during all the solemn cutscenes on Reach you can look like this, if you want to

alas you can't get all the super-goofy halo 3 armor, you can't look like this during Reach cutscenes

halo mcc is good