Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Howwwww? I know people say that about using inverted on controllers, but I always fell back on the "flight sticks" explanation.

I'm pretty sure the Quake games were inverted by default, a lot of people learned mouselook on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah, I actually think the show does a good job at showing the dark side of the UNSC. But my complaint is that I think they're going overboard with their portrayal of Halsey as being outright "evil". She's a complicated character and I tend to see her as less malicious and more naïve, but also too smart to recognize her own blind spots. She came up with the Spartan program when she was in her late teens or early twenties and totally thought she had the world figured out. What's breaking a few six year old eggs if it means preserving peace in the galaxy? Later on after a whole lot of war with the Covenant she does express regret for some of the things she's done, but also can't stop crediting herself and the Spartan program for saving humanity. She's definitely not "good", but I think reducing her to a generic mad scientist misses some of the nuance.

Yeah, the whole situation is much more complicated that just 'Halsey Evil'. The UEG were very much in the wrong, but the Insurrectionists weren't exactly angels. Halsey didn't do what she did out of curiosity or malice, but because she thought it was right. Despite what she did to them, she still considered the Spartans to basically be 'her' children. And while it doesn't absolve her of personal responsibility, it wasn't like she did everything on her own, ONI and the UNSC were both involved in the project. If you think what was done to the Spartan-IIs was bad, wait until you hear about the S-IIIs.

Writing wise, Eric Nylund definitely wrote her in too favourable a light, but people who followed after went way too far in the opposite direction. Glasslands basically had people do a total flip on their attitudes while in the middle of the story.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
It's the only flamethrower, and it's also the only time you get to use one against anything other than Flood. You can carry it through the cutscenes too, although it can be a bit dangerous if you keep it too long. Dare seems to be immune to it, but Vergil... very much isn't.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
I find the epilogue of ODST to be a bit anti-climactic. We go through all that trouble to get an Engineer who knows something about the Covenant, and it turns out to just be the thing that we already know about from the start of Halo 3.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Also, confirming you didn't get the kill 100 grunts because you're playing on Easy. Easy features less enemies, but bonus objectives are the same on all difficulties.

There's actually more than enough on the map - about 125 in total - but any kills made by the AI marines you have to rescue don't count towards your own total, and since on easy your troops do more damage and the AI has less health, more Grunts slip through. In particular, there's a full squad of 10 just before the forcefield that it's basically impossible to get to before the marines kill them all on easy.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
The Spartans are best used either to hijack some heavy ordnance, or as a three-man strike squad. They can be a bit fragile, but do more damage than a pair of tanks.

EricFate posted:

If nothing else, this video made me feel much better about being bad at RTS games.

Frenzy's skills nonwithstanding, Halo Wars is odd. It doesn't feel like any other RTS, it feels kinda... sticky? Unresponsive? It's looking for a degree of speed that the controls just can't deliver. I've played it on PC, and I'll be honest, I've got no idea how I ever finished it on the 360.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

One thing I do find interesting about Jorge is despite all of the Spartan II procedures, he still has the capacity to show empathy and compassion, despite the rest of the Spartan IIs never reaching (or, more accurately, gaining) that degree of human emotion. Admittedly, it was probably done on purpose to create a direct contrast to John's lack of anything, but the effort is appreciated.

Several of the other Spartan-IIs are described as various degrees of friendly and sociable, including both Sam and Kelly, John's best friends. Maria is also pretty chipper in the comic she appears in, and says that she retired to start a family. I think the hope was that all the training and augmentation would render them emotionless, but humans will human, and with John it's mostly just that that's his personality anyway.

In Jorge's case as well, he's been probably been with Noble long enough for them to have rubbed off on him some.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
This was around the time that it was decided that Halsey was just an evil bitch, that everything got kinda soft retconned that she'd acted mostly alone rather than everything having been fully signed off on, and that she viewed the Spartan-IIs more as pets than as children. This also (I'm pretty sure, I can't find my Ghosts of Onyx to check) retcons when she find out about the S-III programme, it's originally after the Alpha Halo.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
I can't remember if anyone brought this up during ODST, but while this game noticeably retcons the length and events of the Fall of Reach, ODST had already effectively done so in the ONI Alpha Site. The right-hand memorial plaque is for ONI personnel who died there, and dates it as "25/07/2552 - 30/08/2552".

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Same on Twitter; in the year since the South African poo poo for Brains took over, I've seen more hideous deaths on Twitter than I had hoped to see in my entire life. I guess it's just the 'big thing' that the internet in interested in now. I preferred it when it was cats.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Basically, they haven't. The story of the UNSC vs Covenant is a whole lot of doomed last stands that take a bunch of Covenant down with them and temporary local victories.

Yeah, there was a few victories, but mostly minor and temporary. The famed Keyes Loop which earned him a promotion and (eventually) the Pillar of Autumn killed a destroyer and two frigates and didn't actually prevent the Covenant from achieving their objective.

Probably the biggest victory was when Admiral Cole deleted several hundred ships by briefly turning a gas giant into a star. (Not the biggest destruction of Covenant forces achieved by humanity, but that was technically against humanities' allies, when a planet-cracker bomb that had been plundered from Reach was accidently detonated in orbit around an Elite colony post schism. Oops.)

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

More to the point, neither Rodgers nor Hanaford stepped up and said "Hey a Spartan II is far more valuable than me. I'll detonate the bomb, stop trying to be a tragic badass and jump"

Who's to say they didn't and Jorge hoofed them off the corvette too. A Spartan-II could probably do them both at the same time.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
That was some piss-poor covering your teammates from Three, Four and Six, and general lack of good tactics from the whole fireteam.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Quoth Randall Munroe, "you would just stop being biology and start being physics."

(Shockingly, there doesn't seem to be much research into what happens when you get exposed to a hundred thousand times a fatal radiation dose.)

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

IIRC from the books, the Forerunner data from Reach is how Cortana knew where Halo was in the first place.

That's what's stated in Reach, but in the book, the thing that leads them to the original Halo is found on a nearby colony called *googles* Sigma Octanus IV. During the battle, the Covenant were performing a ground assault on one of its cities, and John lead some Spartans to find out, and they found an artifact in a museum with markings which Cortana would later decode as a kind of map, which led her to the Alpha Halo. Unfortunately, the Covenant intercepted transmissions about it so were able to find the Halo themselves. Added to that, they managed to get a tracker onto Keyes' ship, which was how they finally found Reach.

Samovar posted:

At the risk of sounding like 'Boy, I hope someone got fired for THAT blunder'... wasn't Cortana able to be moved around in a piece of hardware that could be slotted into a SPARTAN helmet in the first game, not some giant, clunky hand-held thingy-ma-bob?

Also from the book, one of the two big upgrades that the Mk V armour had - the shield being the other one - was that the whole suit had a layer of AI compatible circuitry. The original idea was probably to give each Spartan their own onboard AI, which is part what Cortana means when she 'chose' John, she wanted to be his AI, rather than any of the others. However the Spartans were only given the Mk V a couple of days prior to the original one-day version of the Fall, and all the other Spartans were believed lost during it, with just John and a mostly dead cryofrozen Linda-058 being the only ones to escape.

Reading the wiki, it looks like this timeline was changed at some point, and the Mk V was deployed nearly a year earlier, which is why Noble are wearing it in all the promotional videos, and the version with the circuit layer was a revision that only John seems to have been given.

(Originally, the sequence was that the Spartans got Mk IV at the start of the war, the Mk V just before Reach, and John gets the Mk VI prototype when he comes back from Installation 04, and Spartan-IIIs wear lightweight SPI power armour. That all went out of the window with Reach The Game, with Noble and customisable appearances, and now every page on the wiki for Mjolnir has just a massive list of variant parts and configurations.)

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

It's been a while since I read Ghosts of Onyx, and it may have been ret-conned in some way. But how I remember it, their missions were to basically hand-deliver nukes with short fuses to Covenant strongholds. You can argue whether they are literal "suicide missions" but I don't think they had high hopes for survivors.

They weren't created specifically to be sent on suicide missions, but they weren't not. They were intended to be more expendable than the IIs - cheaper, easier to train, lower 'fail' rate for the augmentations, mostly war orphans so none of that flash clone stuff - so while it was nice if they came back from a mission, it wasn't as big a deal if they didn't, and they were generally sent in to places where the objective was important enough to potentially warrant the deaths of 300 super soldiers. I remember Beta Company at least had some form of extraction, two of them survived and managed to return and help train Gamma.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
That Elite who switches weapons is probably the same guy who ran away in the comm array at the start of the game, and who killed Kat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
If it is the same Field Marshall throughout the whole game, then he's aware that there's something down there, and that six whole Spartans are involved, so it's possible that all these Covenant forces are his, trying his best to get whatever it that's so important.