Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Let’s be honest. If you’re reading this thread, you’ve heard of Halo. It’s one of Microsoft’s flagship franchises for the Xbox. It has spawned, as of writing this, 7 main games, 5 spin-off games, 31 novels, 15 comics/graphic novels, a handful of short films, and also action figures, Lego sets, and Nerf guns. It helped popularize console online gaming, start the stereotype of the frat bro gamer, and bring esports into the mainstream with Major League Gaming (MLG).

Now that brings back memories. I worked at a Lego store for several years in the early 2010's, and one of the questions customers asked all the time was "Where are the Halo Legos?" The answer was that there was no such thing; there were Halo-themed construction toys, but they were manufactured by Mega Bloks, basically a knock-off brand. One time a lady was convinced I was lying to her or something, kept insisting she'd seen them online. She proceeds to take out her phone and triumphantly shoves it in my face a few seconds later, with an image on it. I gently point out the Mega Bloks logo on it, and she rolls her eyes, gives an offended huff, and leaves the store. A very mild frustrated customer story, especially considering it was retail, but very memorable for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

FoolyCharged posted:

The humans are hopelessly outgunned and outmanned. MC and friends are basically fighting a guerilla war at this point.

That said covenant tech isn't strictly superior. In general covenant weapons are stronger against shields, but human weapons rip through unshielded flesh. For example the pistols and their one two punch to take out elites.(charge plasma shot will drop shields instantly but isnt great after that, and the pistol one shots them with a headshot but has trouble getting through the shield. By their powers combined even the toughest elite variants go down to a measly two bullets.)

I always got a kick out of how the humans have FTL drives and AI and all kinds of super-technology, but their weapons systems are all poo poo that existed in like the 1990s. It's obviously a gameplay concession- it helps distinguish the human and alien factions, and lets the alien ray guns "seem" more advanced, even if they're fairly balanced in gameplay terms. But yeah, if the Covenant weapons are truly meant to be plasma-based, then getting hit by a plasma rifle shot should be like standing in the flame of a giant cutting torch. :v:

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Simply Simon posted:

The fact that you can kill the Hunters with a single pistol shot is so wild to me. It works even on Legendary, they really hard-coded that weakness in.

IIRC it's an extension of how the damage system is set up. A shot to the (unshielded) head with a headshot enabled weapon is an instant kill, regardless of how many HP the target has remaining. There are only two head-shot enabled weapons in CE: the sniper rifle and the pistol. And although Hunters don't have heads per se, their weak points are coded exactly the same way. So a pistol shot to the weak spot is a 1-hit kill in the same way as a headshot to an Elite with its shields down. I suspect it was more a matter of "we need to wrap up development on this enemy and move on to other things NOW" more than anyone's idealized design, given that it sort of trivializes the encounters.

In any case, they reworked how Hunters take damage in Halo 2, and that was the end of 1-shotting them with a pistol on Legendary.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

AradoBalanga posted:

It does raise the question of whether or not the Covenant have heard the UNSC forces mention Earth off-hand or refer to themselves as Earthlings. As mentioned in First Strike, the Covenant were still doing ground sweeps on Reach until recently, and I imagine that there had to be a stray mention of Earth somewhere in the UNSC files that either got seized by the Covenant before getting deleted or found via interrogating captured prisoners. If the Covenant haven't heard humans refer to themselves as Earthlings, then that is some extremely strict adherence to the Cole Protocol by the UNSC that has kept their home world's name a secret from the enemy. If the Covenant have heard the word "Earthling" used by now, then that makes them look extremely dumb for not piecing things together.

From how Halo 2 frames it, I think the player is meant to assume that the Covenant thought Reach was the human home world. Thus, that planet's been captured and in the minds of the Prophets, humanity is on the back foot and weakened despite the destruction of Halo. Hence why Regret jumps into Earth's general vicinity with such a small fleet: he's expecting Earth to be this uninhabited backwater planet, not a major enemy stronghold.

There are a whole bunch of human-inhabited planets, so plenty of them wouldn't necessarily identify as Earthlings. My family emigrated from Germany within living memory, but I don't think of myself as especially German and wouldn't even think to bring it up unless specifically asked. Some random marine whose family has lived on Planet Wherever for the past several generations might not think of Earth much at all.

(that said, you'd think 'where did you humans come from?' would be one of the first questions an interrogator would ask. Maybe the Covenant are just really bad at that, too? To say nothing of captured data. Oh well.)

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I'm behind on videos, but has the music track that plays during Arbiter's commissioning (for lack of a better term) been talked about? It contains a hidden message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, goddamn Bungie and their penchant for shoving tons of background info into books and ARG´s.

Kibayasu posted:

Same way Johnson got back to Earth the first time, in a way cooler game that was never made.

Hmm. It might be just me, but none of that stuff sounded to me like it really needed to be in the game. I wouldn't have minded a level of the Chief raising hell on the Forerunner ship, but I think it works better in the context of Halo 2, not 3 (I think I remember a dev interview describing some of the cut levels, and one of them was pretty much this.) Which is unfortunate and a missed opportunity, sure, but that's game development. More Earth levels would have been great too. What can you do? They had a ton of dreams for Halo 2, and I've always been impressed that they were able to get as much done as they did.

There's also the problem of how to present all that info. Bungie was generally pretty conscientious with their cutscenes- they managed to strike a nice balance between exposition and not slowing down the game, IMO, and loading a bunch more background details would have tripped up its pacing for very little benefit. I suppose they could have made a Bioware-esque codex, but meh. It would have felt... pretentious, maybe? Overindulgent? I dunno, I guess where I'm coming from is that I was able to play and enjoy the Halo trilogy's story just fine as-is, and while there's always room for improvement, I feel like they covered all the important bases.