Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

PC and PlayStation user here who never got into Halo was a result. I think I had a friend have me try it out for ten minutes and I didn't like it.

So I'm very interested in this project. I loved the Ringworld books back in the day so it was always fascinating to see a version of the concept show up somewhere with mass appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Not shooters, but Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore had them in the early to mid 90s. They never even spread to other RPGs, though.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

This level really made the case for what made Halo great. I haven't tended to play many modern shooters. I did a lot of Doom clones back in the day (or at least the free parts from when shareware was the business model), and was really into Half-Life, but I'm not too clear on how it all evolved. In any case, if I'm remembering the eras right, that is indeed very early for wide open environments, seamless vehicles, etc. I've gone and flipped from skeptical and just assuming everyone liked it because they didn't have access to the superior PC shooters (yeah, totally ran with the dumb PC master race attitude for years) to recognizing just how innovative and impressive this was/is.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

After watching the Warthog jump video, I looked up a Tower 2 Tower video as mentioned from before. That's really impressive.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

White Coke posted:

Are humans the descendants of the "aliens" who made the Halo?

I know nothing of Halo lore, but that would sure fit the Ringworld influence (humans are descended from Pak who couldn't transform into Pak Protectors).

I was also going to mention widdershins being a real world. I've never seen it outside of Pratchett so I've always figured it's either antiquated English or from a dialect I'm not as familiar with.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Finally caught up after falling behind for a few weeks. And like others, I was convinced to buy the games while on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Yep, take care of yourself!