Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yup, played this with my college roommate's on their xbox. Either watching them play and enjoying the light show and heckling them, or playing myself and burning up hours I should have spent doing homework. Lots of good memories wasting time shooting the poo poo while zapping aliens and grousing about the long-rear end rooms later in the game.
I have to say I disagree with the description that the original graphics are bad, because in their time they were really good. At least, I remember being quite impressed by them and enjoyed the spectacle quite a bit. The modern remasters of course look really nice especially compared to the original, but the original graphics were no slouch and I relish the nostalgia of seeing them. Since they're there and available, spend a little more time with the old graphics and let us really see how well they did back then and how much things have changed for today.

I have a soft spot and an odd relationship with a lot of these mid-2000's console games, because I never owned a console myself but my friends did so I spent a lot of time hanging out with them and playing with their systems. Played through Fallout 3 like that, Halo 1&2, I think I tried out morrowwind that way. Call of Duty, which is a fun memory because my buddy and I had planned on doing this 3-day hiking trip but we got smoked out by a nearby forest fire so we bailed early and spent the rest of the weekend playing CoD co-op on his playstation. Good times them days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

FoolyCharged posted:

It's amazing how many genre changing things halo did mechanically that were great. And then the campaign itself was absolute trash that required the devs to literally paint arrows on the ground because the player was still going to get lost.

We noticed them arrows and I think we had some joke along the lines of "hey look, directions for idiots!" and "well, you are an idiot" so they were fun. Being able to actually get lost in a space that wasn't intentionally trying to misdirect you (maze levels in say doom/marathon) was new-ish. I have a hard time thinking of another shooter at or before that time that had big open spaces like Halo did that you could actually get turned around in.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Two things from early Bungie that I really appreciate, the storytelling in Marathon and the music in Myth.
drat, a Myth TFL remaster would be wonderful.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Well, now that we've reached this level, I'll go ahead and post the video that introduced me to the insane physics fuckery that Halo provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Frog blast the vent core!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I guess he didn't see that coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Loxbourne posted:

Probably because Bungie have learned the hard way that their storylines will be experienced by both hardcore lore fans and the itchy trigger finger crowd, who are bored and repelled by long stretches of story or dialogue. There are more of the latter than the former, they have money, and they are surprisingly easy to offend and drive off.

We will see in upcoming games just how much time and effort Bungie put into making the UNSC exactly like the US military. You could argue that was a shrewd bit of branding, given the time period the series was being released (heck, at the time Halo 1 came out, an antagonist race motivated by religion was actually considered new and interesting). It certainly made Microsoft's marketing a lot easier.

So bluntly, the reason Destiny hasn't done as well as Halo is not that the storyline is convoluted per se, it's that it doesn't have an easily-understood zero-effort path through it. And of course, doesn't have the US marine corps in it.

I want to keep dredging into the Bungie storytelling because I grew up on Marathon and Myth and I dig that stuff. Pathways -> Marathon -> Halo and the change (I wouldn't necessarily say drop) in the quality and complexity of their storytelling. My uneducated guess as to why they got away with such a detailed story in the whole Marathon series was that the majority of it was conveyed via text, in terminals that paused the action, and could be accessed at said terminals during the natural pauses in the action. The pacing of the game supported that sort of interaction, and they made the most of it. Contrast that with Halo where the story is conveyed via speech, where it's just not reasonable to have a long digression into medieval poetry, or even a long discussion about the immediate situation. Get the key information out and get moving.

For all that Bungie writes stuff by the seat of their pants they do a really good job at it. I do find it rather endearing how hard they lean into callbacks to their previous games, something that they really were doing nearly all the way at their beginning. Marathon has a lot of references to Pathways, Pathways references Minotaur and Gnop!. I don't know how much Myth tries to squeeze in direct callbacks to their other games, nothing immediately comes to mind beyond thematic things, but drat if it wasn't one of their best stories. Plus, the format of the inter-mission briefings being journal entries from the soldiers involved was so neat.

I know that every so often some folks talk about a re-release or re-mastering of Marathon in a modern engine or something, but at the end of the day it's a goodish FPS along with so many other FPSs. I can't think of another game that has quite the same format as Myth, and that's a game that I wouldn't mind seeing re-imagined in some way. Aleph One and Project Magma keep those old flames alive, but while Marathon is in the family of FPS I can't quite think of another game that has the small-unit real-time tactics style that Myth had.