Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember the start of this level being so frustrating I almost quit the game.

I started with almost no health, fired off the last of my ammo at Guilty Spark thinking I had to kill it to open the doors* and somehow managed to make a save about two seconds before a flying robot lasered my face off. I died so many goddamn times.

Everything after that, though, was a blast.

* hooray for old school "incredibly vague idea of what you're supposed to do next" gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Given that the Halo spins to simulate gravity, there's no way that chunk would fall towards the other side of the ring after the Pillar exploded.

:goonsay:

Also, if the Pillar had just crashed into it, wouldn't that have destroyed the ring, too? But then there wouldn't have been a game.

Great LP. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the series.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ablative posted:

The Pillar of Autumn is one and a bit kilometres long.

Halo is 318km wide, and 20-odd deep. The Autumn isn't breaking that at any speed she can achieve under her own power.

Yes, but I meant if the reactor blew up if the ship smashed into the ring.

If just sitting on the beach and going boom was enough to destroy Halo, hitting it at the speeds spaceships travel at and the reactor exploding would have double boomed it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
To add to the little off topic discussion - definitely watch Aliens.

Do not even hesitate, it is just an incredible movie in every way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Could be, but there's one just like that in Aliens when Ripley has an audience with the queen.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
With respect to how long you could fall before being crushed, Joe Kittinger who jumped out of a balloon at 102,000 feet, fell for around 4 and a half minutes.

He went from about 0.02 atmospheres to 1 atmosphere.

So, assuming you didn't fall into a pocket of toxic gas and just asphyxiate, you could fall for a very long time before dying.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Kibayasu posted:

Halo 2 does kind of suffer from a large lack of context in this part. Without the ~~lore~~ you brought up in the previous update I would have been just as confused now as I was then about why a civil war, why Elites vs Brutes, why are the grunts and Hunters (I think?) with the Elites, why the Jackals and Drones are just going along with the status quo. You're just thrust into the middle of it without much beyond "Well the Arbiter doesn't like the Brutes and the Brutes don't much like the Arbiter either."

Quoting this because Frenzy's lore video really helped me a lot. I would have had no idea why the hell things were happening (or what the big "building" in the middle of the city was) if I hadn't watched it.

One thing I'm still confused about - one of the Covenant mention the Parasite being released. I thought it was always down in it's "empty grave"?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Oh yeah, on this ring the Flood and sentinels have been fighting in a stalemate for forever, hadn't they?

Then:

quote:

How was the flood released in Halo 2?
The sentinels formed an energy barrier to keep them trapped in a large field, which the Covenant deactivated, thus allowing the massive group of Flood to spread on the ring. You can see the barrier being deactivated while riding the 1st gondola across the open outside area

Pretty sure you even pointed it out in the video with the gondola ride.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You first see the wall of the dam on the gondola ride in video #7.

Here's a timestamp where the captain of In Amber Clad mentions the barrier, during the second gondola ride in the video and Frenzy talks about what it is immediately after, but doesn't mention its relationship to containing the Flood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz3XcHXqGyc&t=1566s

The Arbiter is the one who turns off the barrier wall in the next video so they can get inside and grab the key and get betrayed and kicked off a ledge and all that.

EDIT: It also means the part where the Gravemind grabs the Master Chief and drags him under the lake makes a lot more sense. It was just on the other side of the wall all along.

Ditto with grabbing the corpse of the Prophet and turning it into a meat pupper. And, of course, catching the Arbiter.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 8, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Love the Gravemind hacking the PA system. Like, dude, who the gently caress you even talking to?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Lucky the Covenant never heard of lobotomies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

00 - Separate Paths

One last thing before we get into the game for real. This is a short video to explain what all of our main characters got up to in between games.

Well, that cleared up a lot of confusion. Thanks.

I always wondered how the sargent and captain got to Earth first.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wow, the Brutes are so ugly in this one. Never noticed it before, but coming so soon off watching the remastered Halo 2, drat they ugly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Love that the Covenant's big idea for excavating the Ark is firing their main weapons at the ground.

Sure hope the Forerunner supertech doesn't suddenly activate and decide to fry everyone!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In the real world, everyone on those Mongooses would have killed themselves in seconds.

I can just imagine the Brutes coming along later and seeing all these soldiers crushed under their own vehicles and being so confused.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Flashback to The Many from System Shock 2.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

NinetySevenA posted:

the latest video is when i realized that i have never actually played all the way through halo 3.

This is as far as my knowledge of the series extends, too.

From here on out it's all new :dance:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Watching the Dawn come in.

Just drat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Okay, those Hornets look like a shitload of fun.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've got a question about the Flood arriving on the Ark.

How did the Gravemind get off the High Charity and slither to where Master Chief was? They were above a massive drop.

And why did it leave immediately after waving its tentacles around a bit?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I like that the Ark's weapon, which can wipe out all life in the galaxy is activated by a single button press.

Not even a code, just boop.

Hell, there aren't even any locked doors to get in there, any fucker who finds the place could accidentally wipe out the whole galaxy with a "What does this button do?"

EDIT: Replace shotgun with Halo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I have no idea how Frenzy knew where they were going on the way back out of the High Charity.

I've always hated levels where you're crawling around inside something alive, it's always a nightmare.

System Shock 2 came out in 1999 and had sphincter doors. I think it might have been the earliest game like that, not counting 2-D sidescrollers.

Here's one of the doors, with a cool tidbit on how they got the textures for the Many:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I miss Looking Glass Studios.

Too pure for this world.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Had completely forgotten about those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTdh75rBdg&t=708s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So "It's over, we won" says Admiral Stonyface. Except now the Gravemind has access to the most powerful weapon in the history of the galaxy - the Ark?

Also, what's to stop him from having captured a human during all the fuss, not assimilated them, and then mashing their face against the "Kill all life in the galaxy" button?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Geemer posted:

I'm not really sure what they even accomplished. If the Flood are a hive mind, who's to say there's not several Grave Minds?

There being multiple would mesh with the line about defeat only adding time to the sentence.

Yeah, we already know that enough Flood will naturally form a Gravemind. It doesn't matter if the current one on the new Halo goes boom, there are still other Flood running around on the Ark and that means one day another Gravemind could form.

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I think the writers of Halo 3 just plain forgot that because this plan makes no loving sense unless you assume the Flood would be left stranded on the Ark, never again a threat to the galaxy. Given that the Flood are sentient and can repurpose and sabotage Forerunner technology (see Halo 2), this is... probably not the best idea.

Gravemind can fire off the Halos, kill all the remaining humans/Forerunners who are a threat, then slowly make its way back to the galaxy on a new Halo which apparently only take a few years to make (assuming the one we saw was made from scratch) while life slowly repopulated the galaxy.

Doesn't matter to the Gravemind if it's just slime and mould. It's all biomatter and that's all it needs.

And what's a thousand year journey to something like it?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Flood could also just fire off a single halo near humanity and the Covenant.

That would leave a huge chunk of the galaxy still possibly containing useful life for them to corrupt while getting rid of the only people who can stop them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'll never get over the suit having a wank function.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
ODST stands for Orbital Drop Shock Troopers and is not actually a variation of Original Sound Track.

Yes, I have been confused by the name of the game for some time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The city AI using its signs to point your way is just an inspired game mechanic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Really liking the concept of playing half a dozen different characters in the one game, each with a slightly different style.

An inventive way to change things up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I haven't watched it yet but I plan to. I've heard some, uh, "iffy" reviews.

It's got some 'first episode CGI' issues, and there are a few incredibly cheesy moments, such as a few brief shots from first person view and the obligatory shield depleted/recharging noise during a firefight, but that's about it.

Also we see Master Chief's face.

As of the end of the first episode, it looks like it's doing its own thing. Yes, there's still the Covenant and rebelling human worlds, and the Spartan program and all that, but it's not just a remake of the first game.

And that's what seems to be driving certain segments of the online world insane.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The other thing pissing of The Gamers is that there's a :female:

She's the audience insert character. But the purity of my Spartan husbando :cry: and all that

edit: honestly surprised there isn't a smilie for that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I typed it into the smilie search bar and didn't see it. Turns out it was literally just off the bottom of the screen.

Once again a man has been brought low by the :females:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Nice to see a big setpiece battle where you aren't expected to win, but have to repeatedly retreat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I just want to say that the sign on the building saying "Jotun", not "Scrotum"was a huge disappointment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That clip was from the first few minutes of the first episode. I'm prepared to give the show a lot of leeway for what was probably the pilot they used to get the show off the ground.

It did look janky as hell and I almost laughed when I saw the lovely cgi gun, though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
If we're talking about breaking immersion, they really have to stop showing the Spartan's feet and their massive lifts.

It's like Elon Musk every time I see them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pickled Tink posted:

He was checking to see how much force would have been required to do such a thing. As a kid I did that a lot when I found bent metal for exactly that reason.

"How the gently caress did they manage to gently caress this thing up this loving badly?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I really like the idea behind this game - play as the rookie, but also as every other member of the squad in a series of setpieces interspersed between running around the city.

But it feels, I dunno, so confined compared to all the other games. Sure, this time it isn't Master Chief, it's Just Some Guy and the fate of the galaxy isn't at stake, it's just trying to survive in a single city. And I like that Bungie was brave enough to change up the formula.

But all the little difference make it feel like a knockoff. Like using a Nantemdo 64 to play Super Blario. Only Super Blario was still actually made by Nintendo.