Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I didn't get into Halo until 3, but my friend group has a similar story with the series. Ever since we graduated from college in 2009, we had a weekly game night where we all got together and system-linked a few 360s together to play Halo. When Reach came out in 2010, we started playing that at our game nights and basically never stopped. We played other games too (including Halo 4 :v:), but they always eventually got discarded in favor of going back to Reach. Then when the pandemic started we started doing our game nights online, and Reach was the first game we played.

My wife, who had never held a controller before, now knows how to play FPS games because of Halo. My friends and I started up one of our usual Slayer games, handed her a controller and promised not to kill her, and then gave her a Gravity Hammer and told her to go nuts. It is the single greatest custom game we have ever created and it eventually developed an entire metagame around evading the hammer and leading the other players into her vision range so she would smack them instead of you. And now she happily plays games like Destiny because of how our custom game taught her to move and aim in an FPS in a low-stress (and hilarious) situation.

I can't put into words what makes Halo so perfectly suited to a small group of friends shouting in a living room, but by God there is no other game that comes close in that department. Maybe it's the huge variety of weapons, maybe it's all the different maps and vehicles, maybe it's the visual and sound design, or maybe it's just the sheer level of customization you can put into maps and gametypes. I don't know what it is, but Bungie's Halo games had it, and with LAN play going the way of the dinosaur in favor of online play, I don't know if another game will ever live up to Halo's magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

AradoBalanga posted:

That dialogue is one of those "changes based on your difficulty" bits that happens from time to time. Frenzy captured the Normal difficulty speech, so you might be remembering either Heroic or Legendary's version.
The first chapter title also changes based on the difficulty. On Normal it's "Ladies Like Armor-Plating", on Heroic it's "Ladies Like Grinding Treads", and on Legendary it's "Ladies Like Superior Firepower". Somehow managing to keep the joke funny through three playthroughs :v: