Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Oh, that's really cool. I had always assumed that it was a joke where out of 4 directions, 3 of them were straightforward and the 4th was intentionally nonsense that you would understand by means of elimination.

Somebody beat me to it, but with more detail:

Before clocks, the two directions for rotation were "deasil" (from the same root that Latin "dexter" comes from, meaning "right" the direction or hand) and "widdershins" (from an older Germanic word meaning "opposite direction").

Clocks made things a lot easier but you still see "widdershins" used in the countryside by older folks in places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Samovar posted:

Hence the whole thing with that fake sci-fi trilogy being written by Adolf Hitler.

Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream, if anyone is curious. A pretty decent criticism of the racist/fascist undertones of a lot of scifi/fantasy in the early to mid 2Oth century, set up as an alternate history "what if Hitler emigrated to the US after the Great War and became a sf/f writer?"

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 23, 2021

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Samovar posted:

Ayuh, that it was.

I'll tell you, every time you pass up a Brute shot in this level, I feel sad.

But at the start of the level, the pilot says there's 'active triple-A'. Anti-aircraft... activity? Did they just pull a 'PIN number' situation?

Anti-Aircraft Artillery.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I was a hospital corpsman. It's not so much that the drugs make people go crazy, so much that the military makes you crazy and the shock and stress of injury makes your brain do weird hyperfocusing sometimes. Then the drugs make you able to say things other than "AAAAAAUUUURRGH IT HURTS" and you get patients babbling some pretty strange stuff.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure it's not that hard if you're good at RTSes but man that whole "Kill all the flood bases at once" seems like it'd be very difficult

The idea that came to my mind was to station a heavy hitter unit where they regen to just be right there to blow them up again, like Creeper World.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Samovar posted:

Well, the whole idea of what a vacuum is appears to be very nebulous in this game, nevermind Covenant atmospheric vessels being able to fly up there as well.

How the hell were you able to fire off a shotgun on the outer hull of the Corvette? What was the field at the top of the Corvette doing? It wasn't maintaining an artificial gravity field. It certainly wasn't maintaining an atmosphere either... Oh, nevermind.

Modern gunpowder contains its own oxidizer. Even current-day firearms will work in a vacuum, let alone something designed for a spacefaring military force centuries from now.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ablative posted:

I once got a checkpoint about a quarter second before I ran into one of those scaffolds. Did you know that if you die fast enough at a checkpoint enough times, the game will roll back to a yet earlier checkpoint to break the loop? I do!

Groundhog Second

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cradok posted:

Who's to say they didn't and Jorge hoofed them off the corvette too. A Spartan-II could probably do them both at the same time.

Would they have survived the deorbit like Noble Six did, not being Spartans themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Regarding US military organization:

The US Marine Corps is considered one of the six "branches" of the US Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and Space Force. Five of the six are organized directly or indirectly under the Department of Defense, but the Marines and Space Force are sub-departments of the Department of the Navy* and the Department of the Air Force respectively. The Coast Guard is under the Department of Homeland Security (since 2001, anyway - it's been shuffled around a few times).

Marines were originally a sort of naval infantry carried on ships back in the days of sail for boarding actions and taking enemy ports. Nowadays they're their own thing but coordinate closely with the Navy because their big thing is theoretically still "get on ship, go somewhere, assault beach and establish a secure area where other forces can come in safely", and ships are a pretty essential part of that equation.

Space Marines' role in a space military structure would probably be some combination of 1) dropship assault from orbit to establish a beachhead, similar to the amphibious assault the USMC is built around now, and 2) throwback to the boarding action troops from back in the day to take enemy ships and space platforms, and defend your own ships from same. Assuming that's part of warfare - there's plenty of reasons to assume it'd be pretty silly as a tactic but it's sexy so lots of scifi franchises include it.

As for special forces units, the Army has several different groups: Rangers, Delta Force, Green Berets, and some noncombat and air support units. The Navy famously has the SEALs, the Marines have their Marine Raider Regiment but it's newer and less mythologized, the Air Force has Pararescue and Combat Controllers but they fill a different role than what your average person-on-the-street would think of as "special forces", and also handles a lot of flight support and transport for other special forces units.

Space Force theoretically has a special forces unit but nobody has any goddamn clue what they're going to be doing because the Space Force in general is a chaotic mess at the moment since it was established without much of a plan in terms of real military capability other than "spin off satellite stuff from the Air Force and Navy for some reason".

These are all organized under a multi-branch command structure organization called "US Special Operations Command", or SOCOM, to encourage them to work together and coordinate.

Coast Guard has the Deployable Specialized Forces but they're not under SOCOM and are really for special roles inside the Coast Guard's typical remit: law enforcement, rescue/evac, port security, things like that.

*The canonical joke on this is an exchange between a Navy sailor and a Marine goes like this: "Hey, did you know you Marines are in the Department of the Navy?" "Yeah, the MEN'S DEPARTMENT! HUHUHUHUH OORAH!"