Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Discord sounds like it's almost made for this kind of thing if you were going PBP or even chat- you could have role limited channels -
GM's Room
Tavern (for general chat)
Group 1 chat
Group 2 chat

It's one of those things that would really be cool to run - I do love the idea of a DCC funnel as new players arrive and are whittled down to true heros. Mutant Crawl Classic could do a good post-apoc.

Legacy might also work, but it would change the scale somewhat.

With more than 1 GM, there would need to be some way to pool resources and info - having no Big Bad would make things simpler, as it would be a simple explore, get rich, retire or die situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

aldantefax posted:

I think I could get away with having the party contribute to a Google Drawing as a shared thing and then export a copy to the Exploration Lexicon. Then, whenever anybody wanted to modify that page, they would do so by making another copy. I don't know if it would be something that after some point the information falls off or becomes permanent but I think part of it is that information and the world is always changing, so all elements of a given Exploration Lexicon and Journey Charter should remain as modifiable.

Yeah, and the GM should explicitly be changing things behind the scenes, and should keep some paths open and close some off- but it should be something that changes almost at random for them. so they get used from going to town to the caves - then someone blows the dire beaver dam (ridding that threat) and suddenly the road is in the middle or a marsh. This is not something the players should know, so they go in expecting a quick journey to

This leads to a question of how much impact do the players make - do you want them to feel like there is a chance that the lands will be tamed, or do you want it to feel like they are holding back the darkness that is always trying to creep into the realm.

Though the former gives something for the players to work towards and an end for the campaign, the latter could be a great basis for the campaign - that the edge of the world is a constant terror that needs to be pruned back lest it encroach on the world.

A good feel would be something like this.

"Well done guys, you have cleared the goblins from the caves, miners arrive and set up a colony, now about that manticore....."

Players scratch "goblin cave" off map and replace it with "Dwarven mine"
.....time passes....

"Bad news guys, the miners dug to deep and now a Balrog lives there!"
Players sign, and Change mine to Balrog.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Notahippie posted:

I'm still playing with the idea of a West March system based on solo tabletop games, where the DM can just send a package to the player. But there needs to be room for joint journeys or player interaction or something, so you probably need some kind of PbP system or discord.

A single thread should do it - solo games lend themselves more to long form writing. Having a thread allows people to keep track of whats going on - you lose the mystery of what happens when a PC fails to return, but you also have constant updates as the world builds out.

You would need a spreadsheet/google doc of places, characters and the like, as well as a basic map people can scrawl on, but it would work. (I'm up for it as well)