Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I've been messing around with both wild-crawl and megadungeon space. I've found in the past that risk adverse play is so often based around individual character loss that I've started moving consequences away from character death (and in some cases, explicitly taking that off the table) in favor of other ongoing concerns and threats. Negatively advancing world states are one of the things that can work really well to provide tension, especially if players know that their favorite <neighborhood, town, merchant company, wizard tower> is potentially in for serious hurt if they come up short in providing for it/trigger consequences they can't put down.

I'm was curious if folks had any tools for reactive or progressing worldstates that work well for tabletop. Kevin Crawford's faction turns can definitely be useful, but I've also developed a habit of using clocks from Blades in the Dark to track ongoing trouble which seem to be good for ratcheting up tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU