Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Welcome to Pick's book of death fun hunt.

So basically, I bought a book!

It's a big book though, it has a lot of pages and the text isn't very big.

(I don't know why my hand suddenly looks huger, this book is massive.)

There are many topics. Sort of the whole kit and caboodle.

The contents are fairly unnerving, so if you're not comfortable with this sort of topic, I wouldn't read any further.

This is sort of the "authoritative" book, apparently, and commonly used as a reference. The author's grandkid is also a medical examiner and you can find a documentary about his work on Youtube which is also plenty depressing.

Here's a section on mass death events:

Wow, these are really rough on people. I'd never have thought--

--it even fucks up the dogs.

There are pictures in this book, but I'm not sharing them. I don't think it's appropriate.

These photos are oof.

So where does the fun hunt come in?

The fun hunt is you!

YOU:

- Give me a page number
- Give me a number between 1 and 60

And I will give you the #th sentence on the page you specified!

If you can then guess the topic of that chapter correctly, you get a prize. The price is not gory or gruesome! The prize instead is something nice :)

Happy guesswork!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
- Give me a page number
33!

3!

The topic is brain stuff

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, just to clarify, you get to guess after I give you the sentence. That way it's more fair!

Your sentence is PAGE 33, SENTENCE 3:

"For example, a golf club may be swung at a velocity of over seventy-five feet per second."

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Pick posted:

YOU:

- Give me a page number

And I will give you the #th sentence on the page you specified!

If you can then guess the topic of that chapter correctly, you get a prize. The price is not gory or gruesome! The prize instead is something nice :)

Happy guesswork!

420 page

47 number

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Oh, just to clarify, you get to guess after I give you the sentence. That way it's more fair!

Your sentence is PAGE 33, SENTENCE 3:

"For example, a golf club may be swung at a velocity of over seventy-five feet per second."

BRAIN STUFFFFF

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Slumpy posted:

420 page

47 number

Your sentence is:

"For this reason, the person who first finds the child should be interviewed to gain and understanding of the exact location where the baby was found and the position of the body at discovery."

Uh, I forgot, but pages 343-435 are off-limits moving forward. You've won the bad prize and uh, I don't like opening this chapter.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Page 155

Sentence 20

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

whats the last sentence in the book? Thats not in like "afterwords" or something like that

Flimf fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 10, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Jesus christ pick :stare:

Page 500

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Page 1, sentence 2

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Pick posted:

Your sentence is:

"For this reason, the person who first finds the child should be interviewed to gain and understanding of the exact location where the baby was found and the position of the body at discovery."

Uh, I forgot, but pages 343-435 are off-limits moving forward. You've won the bad prize and uh, I don't like opening this chapter.

im gonna guess its about traffic violations

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Supreme Allah posted:

BRAIN STUFFFFF

Incorrect! Your chapter was "Crime Scenes".

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Page 155

Sentence 20

"There is certainly nothing wrong with a several day or greater range when dealing with a time of death over 30 days."

Flimf posted:

whats the last sentence in the book? Thats not in like "afterwords" or something like that

"In a mummified body, immersion in the area believed to be tattooed in warm or hot water for as long as several hours, then scraping with a scalpel, may sometimes help to remove epidermis and significantly improve the image."

Simone Magus posted:

Jesus christ pick :stare:

Page 500

This page is mostly images and doesn't make it to sentence 23. The last sentence of this page is "The underlying skull was fractured."

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Page 1, sentence 2

"Open your mind to the wonders of forensic science."

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Pick posted:

"Open your mind to the wonders of forensic science."

id love to but pages 343-435 are blocked off

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pick posted:

"There is certainly nothing wrong with a several day or greater range when dealing with a time of death over 30 days."

Estimating how old a corpse is.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
page 253

line 17

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Pick posted:

"In a mummified body, immersion in the area believed to be tattooed in warm or hot water for as long as several hours, then scraping with a scalpel, may sometimes help to remove epidermis and significantly improve the image."

This is clearly some part of an identification protocol for handling the aftermath of these kind of situations:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Estimating how old a corpse is.

The chapter is on the timing of death, so you are correct! You receive a prize!

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

page 666

sentence 9

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pick posted:

The chapter is on the timing of death, so you are correct! You receive a prize!

:stoked:

Page 303

Sentence 11

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 10, 2021

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Page.. 69 :smug:

Sentence 30.

Hit me. :haibrow:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:stoked:

Page 303

Sentence 11

Here is your PRIZE:

---

OMFG FURRY posted:

page 253

line 17

You found a citations page! The 17th sentence of the preceding page is: "Copper jewelry will leave a greenish-blue stain on the bone."

curlys gold posted:

page 666

sentence 9

You found an images page! The 9th sentence from the most immediately preceding page with 9 sentences is: "An exit wound of a fragment of a bone may also be slit-like, while a bullet remains in the body."

Page 303

Sentence 11

"The forensic pathologist who is intimately concerned with the anatomic investigation of sudden, unexpected and violent death is confronted repeatedly by stances of far-advances disease and even disabling subjective and objective phenomena (i.e. high fever, jaundice, accumulation of large amounts of fluids in the abdominal cavity, vomiting, coughing of blood) and yet never induced the victim to seek readily available medical attention."

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Page.. 69 :smug:

Sentence 30.

Hit me. :haibrow:

"Applying the Locard Exchange Principle, identification, comparison, and association of microtraces will assist in determining impact points."

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 10, 2021

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Pick posted:

You found a citations page! The 17th sentence of the preceding page is: "Copper jewelry will leave a greenish-blue stain on the bone."

PH of environment?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

Here is your PRIZE:

---

You found an images page! The 9th sentence from the most immediately preceding page with 9 sentences is: "An exit wound of a fragment of a bone may also be slit-like, while a bullet remains in the body."

"The forensic pathologist who is intimately concerned with the anatomic investigation of sudden, unexpected and violent death is confronted repeatedly by stances of far-advances disease and even disabling subjective and objective phenomena (i.e. high fever, jaundice, accumulation of large amounts of fluids in the abdominal cavity, vomiting, coughing of blood) and yet never induced the victim to seek readily available medical attention."

"Applying the Locard Exchange Principle, identification, comparison, and association of microtraces will assist in determining impact points."

Something on bludgeoning? :thunk:

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Pick posted:

I’m going with the obvious and boring “what is ‘Ballistics’?”

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm going to say, something involving identifying contusion marks

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pick posted:

What a lovely dog. Thank you!

Sudden, unexpected and violent death is what I guess the chapter is about.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Why the hell not, I'll give it a try

Can I get sentence 45 on page 900

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Page 436
Sentence 5

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Page 707
Number 33

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Horrible and educational!

Page 543

Sentence 21

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Page 325

Sentence 36

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OMFG FURRY posted:

PH of environment?

nope sorry, feel free to try a new page!

Page numbers 1-1273.

Long book!

---

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Something on bludgeoning? :thunk:

Sorry, this applies to a broader topic! Chapters can be about specific kinds of deaths, but also specific kinds of scenes, techniques, and victims!

curlys gold posted:

I’m going with the obvious and boring “what is ‘Ballistics’?”

It is ballistics. You get a prize!

What a lovely dog. Thank you!

Sudden, unexpected and violent death is what I guess the chapter is about.

Ehhh... sooort of.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

Why the hell not, I'll give it a try

Can I get sentence 45 on page 900

Page 900 is pictures of the clothes of a man who died by lightning strike! So on page 91: ""However, it is significant that all testing done to determine the safety of these weapons has been carried out by the Taser manufacturers or on their behalf."

humpthewind posted:

Page 436
Sentence 5

"The cause-of-death opinion must be expressed in such a way that the public is served well and fairly."

HOMO ERECTUS posted:

Page 707
Number 33

"Cherry-red discoloration of the skin and underlying muscle surrounding a chest wound may be due to carbon monoxide from the yellow flame of the muzzle blast, but more likely is the result of oxyhemoglobin due to the presence of arterial blood from the injury of the lung or the left side of the heart."

Shinjobi posted:

Page 325

Sentence 36

"Otherwise, the extravasated blood that surrounds the vessels congeals and makes the task of demonstrating the vascular defect extremely difficult."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pick posted:

"Otherwise, the extravasated blood that surrounds the vessels congeals and makes the task of demonstrating the vascular defect extremely difficult."

My first thought is heart failure. It's obviously cardiovascular related, but maybe it's for stabbings/pierced blood vessels?

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

yay i got a kitty

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Page 1128

Sentence 3

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon