Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Page 222

Sentence 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pick posted:

Oh also my advice from someone who reads too much generally, and too much of this stuff, is try stuff like Dead Men Do Tell Tales first. This one is very interesting from a purely dry, scientific standpoint but hoh-poo poo the photos are something else. The book even says they're not in color to discourage gorehounds, because the authors will send you the color ones if you have a legitimate need. However, they definitely confirm some things you might wonder about as "tall tales", e.g. that small pet dogs absolutely do nibble on corpses if they're stuck in the house. And apparently they love the taste of face.

Also, if you have a male corpse that died in the heat and produced a lot of methane in the decomposing scrotum, you can vent it off with a special needle and ignition of the scrotal gasses (:stonk:)

I had a girlfriend who was fond of "Death's Acre" by Bill Bass and "Stiff" by Mary Roach.

The former is about the "body farm" where they study the decomposition of corpses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Tennessee_Anthropological_Research_Facility

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pick posted:

Death's Acre is good. tbh I cannot stand anything by Mary Roach, I hate her writing style and think it's twee, self-aggrandizing, and disrespectful.

Yeah, these weren't personal recommendations, although I think I did read at least some of the Bass book. The subject matter just brought those vague memories to mind.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Space Race Riot posted:

Page 222, sentence 13 if you please

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Page 222

Sentence 13

I guess identical requests was not explicitly against the rules.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm going to guess page 221 is on identifying bodies which are burnt in fires.