Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pick, I'd love some book recommendations, or also from anyone else. I did enjoy Mary Roach but I just haven't read enough on weird body stuff this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Caitlin Doughty's "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" and "From Here to Eternity" are full of that sort of thing, as is her youtube channel, Ask a Mortician.

Read both of these already, would definitely recommend them to anyone else interested as well!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

What of Mary Roach's have you read already? I understand why Pick doesn't like Mary Roach's style of writing, but I enjoy it. Grunt, all about soldiers and their injuries and everything else about soldiers that isn't directly related to weapons, was pretty good. There's plenty in there about weird injuries, novel surgical techniques, and fun things to do with a corpse in the name of SCIENCE!. I read Grunt a few months ago, consider this a recommendation at 3.5 out of 5.

And seconding/thirding Caitlin Doughty, I read Smoke Gets in Your Eyes a couple of years ago and I sometimes watch one or two of her youtube videos while I'm eating lunch at work.

I've read all of Roach's and Doughty's stuff, I follow her youtube channel as well :) she's really a treasure. I'll add Apocalypse Culture to my to-read lest.