Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One of the things that happens in the stock trading threads, and on other poker sites, etc. is that people post about their wins, but don't mention their losses. This can give people in the community a very false impression, that everyone else is doing great and making lots of money, with the subtext being: and so can you! I don't think we can require people to post all their losses as a rule, but it's a good thing to keep in mind. Even if someone is super proud of a huge win and deservedly so, you have no idea if that is just leaving them still in the red over the past x amount of time.

I'd also like to tell a little anecdote. A very dear friend of mine is a lifelong smoker. She's about 50 now. Around 10 or so years ago, she decided she absolutely had to quit - even though her mom smoked into her 80s and she always mentions that, like she thinks she has smoke-proof genes, I think she knows in the back of her head that this is gonna kill her eventually. So she quit, cold turkey, and that was great.

But. She hated not smoking in social situations. So she gave herself permission to smoke, but only when she was at a party! That would definitely be OK you see, because she wouldn't be doing it as a habit and wouldn't get addicted.

A few months after she did that, oddly enough, she was going to parties, bars, calling friends over, just suddenly a really active social life, what a coincidence.

She's still a pack a day smoker, now. Makes me and my wife really sad. She has a younger husband, a great job, very intelligent, a vibrand and lovely person, but... the odds are brutal.

If you quit, and you know you needed to quit, don't give yourself some kind of permission or excuse to get back into your destructive addiction "just a bit" or at a certain date or something. Some folks can gamble within a strict budget without affecting their standard of living, obligations to family, ability to save for retirement, etc.; some folks cannot. There are many other passtimes, thrills to seek, ways to make money, and hobbies to get into, it doesn't have to involve wagering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU