Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

OwlFancier posted:

Diamond leading is quite common in buildings of a certain age but it is usually vertically oriented.

Oh yeah, I can definitely see it in the zoomed in picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Center for Innovative Technology in Herndon, VA. Maybe cool isn't quite the right word but it's certainly visually striking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most men can’t find it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

The Center for Innovative Technology in Herndon, VA. Maybe cool isn't quite the right word but it's certainly visually striking.

I liked it better before they put the sign on the top. It was a foreboding black wedge in a forested area right next to the airport.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Most men can’t find it.

First thing that sprang to mind too

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Red Mosque, Sri Lanka

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Azhais posted:

Red Mosque, Sri Lanka

I found Waldo.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Not far from my place, I might have to have a look next time I'm passing by

All Ford Transit 'White Van' windscreens

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6199165

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hahah that's actually great, looks like one of those glass mugs or like an old lantern.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
it looks like a grenade

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
https://www.archdaily.com/139635/architecture-city-guide-columbus-2

I had no idea Columbus had so many cool buildings until a recent watch of Columbus (2021, dir by Kogonada. really great watch in general).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Awesome new word but that seems more like the dividers. I meant the repeating pattern

as mentioned, it's just called diamond leadlights. it was a common form of window glazing 500 years ago in early modern houses because it was difficult to make large flat pieces of glass. traditionally, glass was blown by hand, and you'd just try to make a large flattish shape before you break it into little pieces like that. those small diamonds were about the largest, uniform pieces of flat glass which could be made for construction purposes

in the house you posted a picture of, it's purely a retro throwback decorative look. part of why houses made in the 1950s have giant picture windows is because it's like showing off "hey! look how cheap giant, flat pieces of glass are for window glazing purposes! suck it, early modern homebuilders" something like this would make a 16th century venetian glazier absolutely sick with jealousy and wonder

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Should go back so we have more excuses for caves

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
“Diagrid” doesn’t exactly apply here but is used to describe similar large-scale structural systems.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

(lol saw this thread way down my bookmarks and thought 'I have just the thing!')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Badass