Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

No, this lacks the despair in the face of existential hollowness that made it fun.

It’s fine to enjoy this man’s madness and suffering, he was very likely a bit of a pedo. If it’s the 18th century and you own 95 million worth in today’s money and you still can’t make your little indiscretion disappear, it must have been bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People loved their rickety spires.

The lead & wood central spire of Lincoln Cathedral, completed circa 1311, was the first structure to surpass the Great Pyramid in height.

The central spire actually stood for a couple of centuries, but came down in a storm in 1549. Had it not, it would have held the record for tallest structure till the Washington Monument was built in 1884.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pookah posted:

That cool house with the giant central tower reminded me of a very short-lived insane house some rich English guy build in the late 18th/early 19th century. All I could remember about it was that it was "Something Abbey" and it had a giant tower, so I googled "abbey huge tower fell down".
The very first result got me "Fonthill Abbey"

Unfortunately it didn't survive long enough to be photographed, but the paintings/engravings of it are just insane.

The wikipedia entry is absolutely worth a read - here are a couple of highlights

love too live in anor londo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Girl's school in India

https://www.dkarchitects.com/rajkumariratnavatigirlsschool

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

That's beautiful!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not a fan of only having clerestory windows, and none into the central courtyard.

I suppose that it’s practical in that climate and one could argue that it reduced distractions, but what a waste of a view.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Platystemon posted:

I’m not a fan of only having clerestory windows, and none into the central courtyard.

I suppose that it’s practical in that climate and one could argue that it reduced distractions, but what a waste of a view.

I’m guessing it’s also central to the physical security of the occupants, given it’s a Women’s school in remote India

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's paint

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dazzle camo for motorists

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I saw some buildings a while back that looked like repurposed water tanks or something like that into apartments. They were surprisingly big. Almost certain they were in europe. Anyone got any idea

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

I saw some buildings a while back that looked like repurposed water tanks or something like that into apartments. They were surprisingly big. Almost certain they were in europe. Anyone got any idea

Gasholders?

https://www.arup.com/projects/gasholders

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are some very nice brick gasometers in vienna.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit^^^^^ nice

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gasometer in Vienna?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're not especially common in towns built after the widescale adoption of natural gas or electricity because they were more necessary when they had to produce the gas from coal and store it locally. Nowadays you generally put the giant tank of gas somewhere else and pipe it in under pressure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The old trope of people killing themselves by leaving the gas on dates from the time of coal gas, or “town gas”.

This differed in two important respects from today’s natural gas.

One is that it was odorless. That rotten egg smell was added as a response to tragedies in the twentieth century.

The second is that town gas was high in carbon monoxide. It didn’t kill by displacing oxygen or by exploding. When people breathed town gas, they rapidly lost consciousness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think they're also in London and Dublin

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ah, not water. Explained why I couldn't find them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

OwlFancier posted:

They're not especially common in towns built after the widescale adoption of natural gas or electricity because they were more necessary when they had to produce the gas from coal and store it locally. Nowadays you generally put the giant tank of gas somewhere else and pipe it in under pressure.

We've got at least two gasometers in Philadelphia, one from 1856. It's just too much work to demolish or something

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Midjack posted:

Edit^^^^^ nice

Gasometer in Vienna?

Love the brickwork in these.

This is the Dublin one, it's called The Alliance Building (click for big)

I only just found out today that it's got a big courtyard inside

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/iluvbutts247/status/1598831397443350529

:eyepop: It has everything

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh my god.

It’s toothpaste.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the late 80s socal energy in that building is amazing

the only thing missing is some neon

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FMguru posted:

the late 80s socal energy in that building is amazing

the only thing missing is some neon

We need night pics

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I bet that's where the characters on Melrose Place get their teeth cleaned

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I swear that building is in Vice City somewhere

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
The Initiation Wells of Quinta da Regaleira, Sintra, Portugal:

https://twitter.com/AcademiaAesthe1/status/1611520490488619013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Quinta da Regaleira is cool as gently caress. For context, some crazy rich dude bought it at the turn of the century and spent obscene amounts of money building a giant garden full of faux medieval/renaissance/baroque architecture, artificial grottos and shrines and poo poo. He was really into occulticism and freemasonry. Extremely weird.

Take a short hike up the mountain and there's a badass moorish castle perched on a cliff. Great place for a day trip.

Fruits of the sea has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Jan 8, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

The Initiation Wells of Quinta da Regaleira, Sintra, Portugal:

No the gently caress thank you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Someone doesn't like rare drops

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

time for crab

try jumping, but hole

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

That would absolutely rule.

To convert into a nice little wizards tower

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pretty sure I fought a Colossus in that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I jumped down it without the covenant of artorias and died

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I jumped down it without the covenant of artorias and died

:same:

Totally forgot about it until I died, and was like "what the gently caress, I even got the--oh"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That really looks like a maintenence nightmare.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

wow so that's what was inside all those giant green eggs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Turn your monitor on

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Looks like an allotment. If so, it's absolutely fine.

e: Google says it is.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Feb 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Copenhagen has a few super novel neighborhoods. Some look like spokes of a wheel. It's a cool town and would be cooler if it wasn't filled with danes