Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oh great, danes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hah

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1628852366073278465?t=-9liskpsnlQM0dC8vGnmGg&s=19

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

That is somewhat cooler looking than the datacenters I've seen here in the US. Neat details vs soulless poured concrete.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Guy who's racist seeing literally anything in China:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thats a cool af DC and i wish any of the ones I have worked in looked half as neat

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Sons of bitches, ripping off the Good Old American Long Lines Building vibe.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

stealie72 posted:

long lines are much cooler with the little turns and angles they added to the Chinese data center, makes me think of traces on a PCB

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stealie72 posted:

What if a plane flew into those windows at the top? This is why the chinese are beating us

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

What if a plane flew into those windows at the top? This is why the chinese are beating us

Obviously it's then redirected into a network of pipes in the building, where it's spun around a few times to build up speed as it descends, then harmlessly launched at Mach 2 out of the windows at the bottom.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Cross post this into the cursed thread in GBS, what a ridiculous waste of space :(

TIP posted:

long lines are much cooler with the little turns and angles they added to the Chinese data center, makes me think of traces on a PCB

:thejoke:

SwissDonkey has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Feb 27, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It looks rad and I'm glad it gets you mad

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

It looks rad and I'm glad it gets you mad

So mad my dicks bout to fly off

I agree, it looks loving awesome but it also looks like GB which can't work out how to house people and farm at the same time. Gimme that poo poo in rural Australia and we're talking

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah but then they'd have to live in australia. Let's not be cruel

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

SwissDonkey posted:

I agree, it looks loving awesome but it also looks like GB which can't work out how to house people and farm at the same time. Gimme that poo poo in rural Australia and we're talking

Counterpoint, slab sided, dark stone buildings seem like a terrible idea in any part of Australia.

Source: I still haven't recovered from the heatwave last week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SwissDonkey posted:

It says copenhagen on the side.

e: which isn't in gb, to clarify

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SwissDonkey posted:

Cross post this into the cursed thread in GBS, what a ridiculous waste of space :(

You just think that because it looks weird, but it actually maximizes the number of yards with a fixed square footage in the available space

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My dumb American suburban rear end immediately thought "but where do they park."

gently caress me, I need to leave here.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

stealie72 posted:

My dumb American suburban rear end immediately thought "but where do they park."

The area is bordered by streets just out of frame to the east and west, both of which have street parking. If you find the place on Google Earth you can see a whole pile of cars

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

stealie72 posted:

On the lawn, smh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For context, since some people aren't familiar with this: This is a kolonihave. They were mostly built in the 1800s to 1900s to provide subsistence farming and a retreat for the working class. Conditions in the city were really lovely at that time, a working class family might have three generations crammed into a tiny apartment with an unsanitary communal latrine shared by 3 or 4 apartment blocks.

They have been gentrified as time goes on but a kolonihave in the outskirts is still an affordable option for families that can't afford a summer house.

Copenhagen does have housing issues though I think the biggest culprit is ludicrously expensive apartments built for the sake of venture capital and foreign investors. Some of them are worthy of this thread, I'll try to get some pictures!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

idk if this counts as a 'building' but

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2023/02/cody-dock-rolling-bridge/

:eyepop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Copenhagen does have housing issues though I think the biggest culprit is ludicrously expensive apartments built for the sake of venture capital and foreign investors. Some of them are worthy of this thread, I'll try to get some pictures!

The only culprit of any housing issues anywhere is capitalism in general.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reminds me of the things they made to empty rail cars quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPiY_m3i3Ns&t=94s

Really hope yer man there is wearing hearing protection though.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Or the rolling bridge in Canary Wharf that unfolds itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Dj7XA77hw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Reminds me of the things they made to empty rail cars quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPiY_m3i3Ns&t=94s

Really hope yer man there is wearing hearing protection though.

20,000 skeletons jerking off in a trash can.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Rotary Dumper was my nickname at the dance club.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nanyang Technological University

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That is a beautiful design, I wonder if the irregular shape makes upkeep tricky though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is there a term for this diamond repeating pattern? I thought it was tessellated and maybe it is but that seems wrong

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there a term for this diamond repeating pattern? I thought it was tessellated and maybe it is but that seems wrong

Mullioned

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Awesome new word but that seems more like the dividers. I meant the repeating pattern

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Windows constructed with the patterns on the glass are usually called leaded windows https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadlight they are made by sticking lots of bits of glass together with lead.

So you would want diamond leaded windows. Weird to see one in that orientation though, it's usually done with the diamonds facing the other way.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Mar 10, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It just looks like an expanded metal sheet up against the glass to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think so, because you can see the reflections are also not uniform and follow the pattern, which suggests it is a window made up of many discrete diamond shaped panes which are not perfectly aligned, such as is demonstrated here:

Diamond leading is quite common in buildings of a certain age but it is usually vertically oriented.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Mar 11, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh no they're definitely leaded windows and not the fence thing. I just was wondering if there was a particular name to that layout. It might honestly just be diamond patterned windows

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Milo and POTUS posted:

This house is in River Forest, IL, and is strangely on topic for the house I came to post. I grew up next door to River Forest, in Oak Park. Oak Park is home to Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio, and there are a bunch of homes designed by him throughout the town, along with a bunch inspired by him, and also a spattering of victorians.

And then, for some reason, this thing.

The Kirsch House. I know nothing about it, as kids we just called it the space house, or the future house. I found out the name just now by googling"oak park weird house". But my entire life, it's been the first thing I think of when the topic of architecture comes up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reminiscent of the mouse bunker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Institutes_for_Experimental_Medicine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

I'm pretty sure this hit an iceberg about a hundred years ago.