Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I was unemployed for a year and paid all my bills playing 2/5 NLH and 5/10 PLO live. The PLO game was wild, had lots of whales dropping tens of thousands of dollars each month.

Then COVID hit so now I'm a programmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Rake at 1/2 is usually like $3-$5 a hand, at least in Florida. Assuming 40 hands per hour and 5 handed tables, that's like $24 an hour per player you're paying into rake on the low end.

So to beat 1/2 for $20 an hour net you'd need to make $44 an hour before rake, which is 55 BBs/100 hands. Even for 1/2 that's an insanely good win-rate, and maybe impossible except in the most ideal conditions?

5-handed 1/2 could be fun as a learning experience but 9-handed is definitely easier to make a little bit up money since you'll get bigger pots on average and the rake won't be as much relative to the pots that are won. But in order to make any sort of livable income you really need to play 2/5 and above.

This doesn't take into account that rake is not paid equally around the table. The people playing 40% of their hands and winning 40% of them are paying much more of the $120-200 coming off the table every hour, then the person who is playing 10% of hands and winning 60% of them

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

No good player is going to have a 10% VPIP playing 5-handed. Probably at least 20% and probably closer to 25-30%, though I'm certainly not a 5-handed live expert so these numbers might be a bit off. But it's certainly much higher than 10%. And no winning player is only going to win 6% of hands playing 5-handed. That seems insanely low.

sure, but you get my overall point, don't you? That I exaggerated for effect?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Yes but you still need to achieve a pretty incredible and perhaps unrealistic win-rate in order to net $20 an hour in live 5-handed $1/$2 NLHE is my overall point.

Edit: contrast that with 2/5. Assuming $5 rake per hand and 40 hands an hour, that's $200 an hour off the table. Assuming you're paying 20% of the rake in a 5-handed game, that means $40 of rake per hour (in reality this might be less for the reasons you mentioned, but for the sake of argument let's go with 20%). So if we want to net $20 an hour we need to make $60 an hour before rake, which is a much more reasonable and achievable 30 BB/100 winrate at 2/5. And as you mentioned maybe even a slightly lower winrate would be necessary if we're paying less rake than an average player.

My experience is that shorthanded live games are much more profitable then full ring games, and that 10bb/hour in full ring games is quite achievable at 2/5, which makes me assume it is also achievable at 1/2; I know the rake impact is higher, but the playskill is much lower. I haven't played 1/2 in awhile though, so I could be wrong.

Two weeks ago, I was playing in an 8 handed 2/5 game and losing a bit. It got shorthanded 2/5 for two hours, and I crushed it, just ran the table over. Then it got 8 handed again and I had to quiet down and play real hands. You can just get away with so much when you're playing with people who mostly play full ring, and it gets down to 3-4 people.