Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Might as well get all we can out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
2!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Do you know anything about the two who disappeared?"

Evertree posted:

The answer costs you one more gold and Tobin looks as though he is genuinely thinking hard on the subject before saying, "Not much, I never met them. They weren't from Lux, though, I know that, or at least they weren't a part of any Luxican crime family. They were brothers, and one of them had a kid to feed, so it doesn't sound like they just did a runner. From everything I've heard, they were never seen again after staying here. So my reckoning is, either they died or something worse happened to them." <Clue 11 updated!>

What would you like to ask?

1. "Why did you really come to the inn?"
2. I'm finished. "Thank you for your assistance, Mr. Brushgather. I wish you all the best on your travels."
3. I'm finished. "Okay, that's everything. You can be on your way now."
Gold -1

Stats posted:

Clues
11 - Two thief brothers, one with a child, went missing from their room a couple of months ago while trying to rob the place.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

1 - we are still a nosy person, after all, and information is information.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

I don’t think we need to know more about him.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2. We've already spent like, a third of our money and if we asked him about himself, it'd probably take several questions (aka even more money) to actually get something productive. Especially since he's leaving anyways, I think we're done here.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm finished. "Thank you for your assistance, Mr. Brushgather. I wish you all the best on your travels."

Evertree posted:

The halfling looks a little taken aback by your polite farewell. Then his usual grumpy face is replaced by an impish grin. "And you watch yourself. There's worse things in that inn than thieving halflings, you mark my words."

And with that, Tobin Brushgather waves you goodbye and sets off down the road. You doubt very much if you shall ever see him again, and that's probably a good thing.

Evertree posted:

You make you're way back into the dining hall and investigate the state of your unfinished meal. By now, the last of your food has gotten cold and even if it had not you do not feel like you could have eaten any more anyway.

Wen walks over to your table and asks awkwardly, "Did you enjoy your meal?" She's clearly nervous about your reaction to the disturbance from Mr. Brushgather.

1. "The meal was delicious, thank you."
2. "The meal? Oh right, the meal. Yeah, it was fine, thanks."
3. "It would have been nicer without the interruption!"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Be nice to the nice halfling.

EDIT: is time still passing with every interaction, like it was in chapter 2? I'd like to figure out something about this wood cellar everyone is afraid of before the night is dark and full of terrors over.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That Italian Guy posted:

EDIT: is time still passing with every interaction, like it was in chapter 2? I'd like to figure out something about this wood cellar everyone is afraid of before the night is dark and full of terrors over.

Nope. I'll let you know when a timer is ticking again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1. Food was delicious, great meal, blah blah blah.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"The meal was delicious, thank you."

Evertree posted:

Wen looks pleased with your praise and gives you a small curtsey. Truthfully though, you are hardly thinking about food.

Evertree posted:

As you process these most recent developments and everything else you have seen and learned so far, you think back to the quiet night you were expecting only a couple of hours earlier. The longer you stay at this simple inn, the more things are becoming anything but simple! It feels like everyone you've met has a part to play in the mystery of Evertree.

The only thing left to decide is what part you are going to play.

Evertree posted:

Bonus!

After everything you've achieved, be it collecting clues, befriending others, finding romance, or stealing money, you deserve a little bonus.

And actually, you have earned almost the maximum possible bonus for this stage!

Choose one skill you would like to improve before moving on to the next chapter.

1. Combat.
2. Guile.
3. Perception.
4. Magic and Mana.
5. I want to improve all my skills equally.

A successful chapter! I'll breakdown exactly how well we did next update.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What are our current stats?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Here are the up to date stats:

Stats posted:

Current Stats

Character
Name: Glangwen Ogg
Race: Elf
Weapon: Staff
Stats:
Combat: 35/100
Guile: 18/100
Perception: 67/100
Magic: 52/100
Gold: 8
Mana: 35
Warnings: None

Suspects
(Suspects with a higher % will be more co-operative)
Owner: Laisa: 33/100
Gardener: Lamuel: 50/100
Maid: Wen: 53/100
???: 18/100
Checked Out - Tobin Brushgather: 28/100
Gunther Ga'arl: 10/100
Daisy Thorne: 8̵̧̪͊0̶̛̝̐/100
Isaria Evenveil: 23/100

Romance: You definitely have a connection with Mrs. Dupree's son, Lamuel. You hope it could turn into something more.

Clues
1 - Luxican official Gregori Risenfaal was murdered in room 3 a week ago with a wooden hair comb.
2 - Mr. Dupree died at the inn, 5 years ago, falling into the wood cellar.
3 - The mystery of your stolen 3 gold pieces has been resolved.
4 - Wen was adopted by Mrs. Dupree after she was abandoned by her parents in her room eight years ago.
5 - The elf in room 6, Isaria Evenveil, is a VIP.
6 - ?
7 - Mr. Risenfaal was leering after Lamuel during his stay.
8 - Wen is scared of the wood cellar.
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - Two thief brothers, one with a child, went missing from their room a couple of months ago while trying to rob the place.
12 - ?
13 - Tobin the halfling claims that the inn is cursed.
14 - ?
15 - ?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Boost magic.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Boost magic.
This sounds good.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

magic

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah we need to get good at magic before focusing on something else.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Magic

Evertree posted:

You feel a surge of energy as you ponder everything you have learned and know that your skill with magic is going to be even stronger as your adventure continues.

Now, on to the next chapter!
Magic +18

Evertree posted:

Chapter 4 - A Date with Death
A death, a curse, a hundred other questions; this inn was supposed to be a simple place to stay on the last night before your arrival in Lux and now it feels as though you have been swept up in something far greater. There is something going on in this place, and…

I have to know what it is!
I have to know who's behind it!
I intend to make the most out of the situation.
I'm hardly surprised. I always end up in these situations.
I really don't want to get involved.

Due to work stuff, I don't have time for the full chapter breakdown now. I'll do it at the bottom of the next update, which might not be for 2 or 3 days.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We are nosy so we have to know what it is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

We are nosy so we have to know what it is.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Still not sure when I'll get to a full breakdown of our last chapter, but I'll continue to go along with new updates until then.

I have to know what it is!

Evertree posted:

It's that drive to discover the unknown that has always served you so well that now compels you to solve this mystery. Just as an unread book holds secrets to be learned, so does Evertree Inn, and there are still some pages you need to find.

But the fact remains that right now, you have a date to keep. As you stand pondering, Lamuel Dupree is waiting for you outside. It feels like far longer than an hour since the two of you were together in that stable and you felt his hand brush yours, but the memory has been flicking to the forefront of your mind throughout all the other events of the evening. Whatever other motivations you might have for speaking once again to the young man, you can't help looking forward to seeing him again.

Right? Or is that not an accurate description of the situation?

1. It's true! I do want to see Lamuel again. No hidden agenda, I just want to spend more time with him.
2. I do want to see Lamuel, but I'm more concerned with figuring out what's going on here, so I'll keep things platonic from now on.
3. I did want to see Lamuel, but all these events have made me change my mind. I need to focus on finding out what's going on and I won't be able to do that hanging out with him.
Magic %+3

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

2 sorry Lamuel, curses and murder are more interesting than kisses

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Didn't you people want to play an Ogg? It's 1 for sure.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

idonotlikepeas posted:

Didn't you people want to play an Ogg? It's 1 for sure.

Nanny knows her priorities, Casanunda didn't get his date until after the main plot was finished :colbert:

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

By a margin of 1, romance it is.

It's true! I do want to see Lamuel again. No hidden agenda, I just want to spend more time with him.

Evertree posted:

Stepping outside, you find that the sun has now completely set and the sky is a deep blue, dotted with the first and brightest stars. The sound of frog song fills the air as you round the inn to the stables where the young Lamuel is fastening a chain to the door.

At the sound of your approach, he turns to you with a big smile.

"You made it," he greets you.

He looks relieved and you wonder how much he was doubting you would show. His brown eyes are wide with a sort of youthful energy, the excitement of a first date, the million possibilities hanging in the air waiting to be pulled down to reality. It's very clear that he likes you. If you don't feel the same way, this would definitely be the time to say something.
Set Lamuel 90

There's technically another option to bail on the romance path here, but we've made our choice, so:

"I'm sorry I kept you waiting."

Evertree posted:

Your apology causes Lamuel to laugh. "You didn't keep me waiting long! Although I am glad you're here now."

Lamuel looks awkwardly over your shoulder to the inn and then asks, "So there's something I wanted to show you, if you wanted to take a bit of a walk."

1. "Sure, lead the way."
2. "Don't want to be in view of the inn, huh?"
3. "Are we going into the woods?"

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 20, 2021

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Let’s just go with 1

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Sure, lead the way."

Evertree posted:

"It's not far," he explains. "We just need to follow the edge of the forest for a few minutes."

He gestures towards the woods and you see a single, overgrown trail leading along its edge and around behind the stables.

Taking care not to trip on the many weeds that stretch out in tangles across your path, you stare into the depths of the forest. You can barely see beyond the first tree line, so deep and dense is the undergrowth, and the occasional shiver of the leaves, whether from the wind or something else, makes you shudder. The Firstwood is as deep as it is ancient.

"It makes you stop and think, doesn't it?" Lamuel suddenly interrupts from in front of you, noticing the direction of your gaze.

It does indeed but what does it make you think?

1. "It excites me. The forest is full of challenge and adventure."
2. "It scares me. The darkness hides horrors that would make even the bravest elf cower."
3. "It intrigues me. We know so little of what lies in its depths."
4. "It bores me. I have no interest in ancient forests."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"It intrigues me. We know so little of what lies in its depths."

Evertree posted:

Lamuel grins.

"I thought you might say something like that and I do agree. As frightening as the unknown can be, it can be beautiful as well."

1. "I suppose you never know when you might find something beautiful…"
2. "Do you go in there much?"
3. "What do you mean, you thought I'd say something like that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007