Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Do you go in there much?

Evertree posted:

"Not quite every day," he answers, "but several times a week. There's lots of things you can find in the wood that we need here at the inn like meat and wood. I don't go very deep but I suppose it's still more than most." You look over your guide and wonder as to the life that lead him here. He doesn't seem to be without interests or ambition and you wonder if he is really content in this isolated place.

He continues leading you in silence and you catch up to walk beside him. The path is not wide and your fingers brush close to each other, almost touching, but he responds by placing his hands in his pockets and out of reach.

You still aren't sure of his motivation but you have this chance if no other to ask one question that sorely needs answering.

1. "Lamuel, why don't you leave this place? You can't really believe this is your whole future."
2. "Lamuel, why are you so worried about your mother seeing us?"
3. "Lamuel, do you think this place is cursed?"
4. "Lamuel, what really happened to make your family move here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
4!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

3. Let's learn about this curse.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Curses it is. This is the place you could have learnt about why Laisa asks for sexual preference in the intro, but that shall wait for the end of the LP!

"Lamuel, do you think this place is cursed?"

Evertree posted:

He shakes his head so insistently that you find yourself all the more suspicious. What might he know that makes him so certain that there is no curse here?

1. "Do you even believe in curses?"
2. "You have to admit that suspicious things have been happening here."
3. "The halfling was making quite the song and dance about it in the lobby over dinner."

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

2, he seems like an honest boy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"You have to admit that suspicious things have been happening here."

Evertree posted:

Lamuel nods in agreement but explains,

"It's not that I don't think there have been some unusual occurrences here in the last few months but curses are a very extreme explanation. To become cursed, you have to first upset or offend a powerfully magical being. I feel like if I'd done that, I would know about it."

1. "Could your father have been responsible?"
2. "Maybe your mother offended someone without you knowing."
3. "Could it be that a guest who stayed here in the past placed the curse?"
Lamuel +1

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 20, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Maybe your mother offended someone without you knowing."

Evertree posted:

This suggestion causes Lamuel to laugh, though it is weak with exasperation.

"I'd agree with you that mother could easily offend an archmage but without me knowing…? I don't think so. This inn isn't all that big. Nothing happens here without someone knowing about it."

He stops, struck by his own words, and turns around but the inn is now all but concealed by the back of the stable. He looks back to you with a bashful smile and says, "Well, this is it."

Evertree posted:

You are standing on the edge of a small circle of grass that has grown up and around the edges of a crumbling, stone well. It's wooden roof has long since been eaten away by time and weather and there is no rope nor bucket attached.

It is a ruin but Lamuel looks on it as if it were an old friend.

He walks over to its edge and sits, swinging one leg over so that he straddles it like a horse. Then he beckons for you to join him.

The wall is not high and you are easily able to adopt the same position, facing him. The moon is behind you and its full glow is reflected in his eyes.

He blinks and then turns to gaze down into the well.
Lamuel +1

Evertree posted:

"Father built this when we first moved here. It was so that I could fetch water without having to go to the river in the woods. After he died, it dried up but I still come out here sometimes."

Lamuel says all this, never taking his eyes away from the dark depths.

"He used to tell me that this was a wishing well; that if you dropped a coin down there you would be able to make a wish and that if you were a good person…that wish would come true."

His eyes rise to meet yours.

"Do you believe wishes can come true?"

1. "I have a gold piece. Let's try it."
2. "Not really but I like that you do."
3. "I believe that wishes can come true but not for free. You have to work for what you want."
4. "I have better ways to spend my gold, I think."

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 20, 2021

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

It could be real magic...but even if not, he clearly wants us to, so it’ll help keep him talking.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

It could be real magic...but even if not, he clearly wants us to, so it’ll help keep him talking.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

MagusofStars posted:

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"I have a gold piece. Let's try it."

Evertree posted:

Taking the single piece of gold out of your pocket, you cast it into the well and close your eyes.

When you open them again you see that Lamuel has done the same. His eyes are tightly closed, his hand still held out from where he dropped his own coin, his face a mask of concentration. Whatever he's wishing, it must matter to him a great deal.

Then his face relaxes, he opens his eyes and smirks at you. "So, what is it?"

1. "I wish for true love."
2. "I wish for my father to be safe and happy."
3. "I wish for my time in Lux to be a success."
4. "I wish to one day restore my family name to glory."
5. "I wish for your wish to come true."
6. "I wish for nothing else to go wrong tonight!"
7. "I'd rather not say."
Gold -1

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

3. Having nothing go wrong sounds like a boring LP, so let's not do that one.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

3. Is Lux the general area or one of the Cities? I've forgot.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lux is a city, and is the location of the third and fourth books in the series. Spoilers, things might go wrong when you're there.

"I wish for my time in Lux to be a success."

Evertree posted:

You explain your quest to Lamuel, telling him of everything you left behind, everything you risked in order to reach for something greater. For the past few weeks, ever since you set out and even before that, you have been terrified, not at the thought of living in Lux but the fear of what you will do if you have to return to Flom empty handed. Life has taken so much from you. If it takes this too then what will be left?

When you have finished, Lamuel has a sad expression on his face but not a pitying one. You hadn't even noticed that his hand had come to rest gently on your knee but as you do, so does he and he withdraws it quickly.

"You're very brave," he says with complete sincerity. "And your wish is far braver than mine."

You watch as he works up the courage to tell you his own deepest desire.
Lamuel +1

Evertree posted:

"I always wish the same thing," he says, this time not turning to hide his face but holding your gaze. "I wish for someone who could know me. I think that wishing for love is nice and more than anything I want to fall in love but if I wished for it that would somehow feel like cheating, you know?"

His eyes flicker and he turns his gaze down into the depths of the wishing well.

"But if I found someone who could understand me; someone I could tell my deepest hopes and fears; someone who trusted me and who I could trust in return… I could love that someone forever. I'd never need to wish for anything again."

You feel an overwhelming urge to reach out and take his hand but you hold back. You don't want this moment to end. You feel as though the air around you is charged with energy more powerful than any magic spell and you find yourself wanting to ask him more.

1. "What do you think this someone you're wishing for might look like…?"
2. "Does anyone else know about your wish?"
3. "Are you lonely?"

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 20, 2021

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sorry for the radio silence. I'm currently in the middle of changing jobs. This LP will be resurrected with a long post breaking down how we did in Chapter 3 a week Monday.

In the eternal words of Square Enix, "Please look forward to it!".

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for doing this! Voting 3.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Right then, now that I'm gainfully employed again, as promised, a Chapter 3 breakdown. Unlike Chapter 2, where the bonus is based around how you've found out about the mystery, Chapter 3 is appropriately more about how successful you are at wining and dining, with you getting a higher bonus the more people like you and the more money you have.

Our relationship stats at the end of Chapter 3 were (after Thom fixed the bug with us getting shunted onto Daisy's romantic code chunk):

Owner: Laisa: 33%
Gardener: Lamuel: 50%
Maid: Wen: 53%
???: 18%
Checked Out: Tobin: 28%
Gunther Ga'arl: 5%
Daisy Thorne: 17%
Isaria Evenveil: 23%
Gold: 8

As it is, we get 5 bonus for having successfully entered the romantic path with Lamuel, and another 4 for Wen and Daisy liking us so much. We then get 2 two bonus for having at least 7 gold. Additionally, we 2 bonus for finding out about the missing halflings and another for overhearing Tobin say the inn is cursed. We could have got another 2 points for each additional character with an opinion of us over 50 as well as 2 more if we had 15 gold. The other bonuses rely on us finding out things about Daisy or Gunther which would have been exceptionally difficult given our choices up to that point.

That, in total, gives us +14 to magic. (Sadly our bonus for that chapter has decreased by 4 since the bugfix.)

---

But now, back to the present, and awkward flirting with Lamuel.

"Are you lonely?"

Evertree posted:

This question makes Lamuel lean back and look at the sky. Not wanting to make eye contact while he answers, he says, "Isn't everyone?"

1. "Not while they have family."
2. "Not while they have friends."
3. "Not when they're in love."
4. "I suppose so…"

Poor Lamuel.

---

And now for our updated, post-bug fix, stats:

Stats posted:

Current Stats

Character
Name: Glangwen Ogg
Race: Elf
Weapon: Staff
Stats:
Combat: 35/100
Guile: 18/100
Perception: 67/100
Magic: 67/100
Gold: 7
Mana: 53
Warnings: None

Suspects
(Suspects with a higher % will be more co-operative)
Owner: Laisa: 33/100
Gardener: Lamuel: 93/100
Maid: Wen: 53/100
???: 18/100
Checked Out - Tobin Brushgather: 28/100
Gunther Ga'arl: 5/100
Daisy Thorne: 17/100
Isaria Evenveil: 23/100

Romance: You definitely have a connection with Mrs. Dupree's son, Lamuel. You hope it could turn into something more.

Clues
1 - Luxican official Gregori Risenfaal was murdered in room 3 a week ago with a wooden hair comb.
2 - Mr. Dupree died at the inn, 5 years ago, falling into the wood cellar.
3 - The mystery of your stolen 3 gold pieces has been resolved.
4 - Wen was adopted by Mrs. Dupree after she was abandoned by her parents in her room eight years ago.
5 - The elf in room 6, Isaria Evenveil, is a VIP.
6 - ?
7 - Mr. Risenfaal was leering after Lamuel during his stay.
8 - Wen is scared of the wood cellar.
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - Two thief brothers, one with a child, went missing from their room a couple of months ago while trying to rob the place.
12 - ?
13 - Tobin the halfling claims that the inn is cursed.
14 - ?
15 - ?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Enjoying the LP, I just found it. I'm going to skip this vote though since I suck at flirting. Thank goodness I'm already married.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
2 the true murder is the friends we made along the way

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2. We've met the guy like twice, too soon to start dropping words like love.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah, hold back just a bit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wise choices all.

"Not while they have friends."

Evertree posted:

Lamuel sighs. "I don't have a whole lot of them either. I could make more of an effort to meet new people, I suppose, but mother hates it when I go to Lux by myself and besides, we're always so busy here."

Then, looking back down he says, "Yes, I have felt lonely but that's why I make my wish."

A loudly buzzing insect darts through the air between you. Lamuel reaches out to bat it away and as he does, his leg comes into contact with yours. The insect bumbles away but Lamuel does not and the connection remains as you ask,

2. "Does anyone else know about your wish?"
3. "Shouldn't we be getting back to the inn soon?"

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Let’s go 2

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OOrochi posted:

Let’s go 2

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Does anyone else know about your wish?"

Evertree posted:

Lamuel runs his right hand nervously through his hair, cocking his head to the side before admitting, "Actually, no. I've never told this to anyone before. I couldn't tell mother. She's too concerned that if I ever meet someone I might run away and leave her, and Wen is too young to understand. I almost told Gilly once but then I chickened out."

He lets out a sigh and once again your eyes meet, sending a fire through you and bringing the flush back to his cheeks as he says,

"So, no… It's only you."

As he says this you suddenly realise that your right hand has drifted closer to his left. It feels automatic as you extend your fingers and they brush against his. He doesn't say anything but his fingers interlock with your own. The thumping in your chest starts to feel like a drum and you ask him,

2. "May I kiss you?"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Kiss time!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 18, 2021

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Yeah, let's go for it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Let's do this!

"May I kiss you?"

Evertree posted:

Your question seems to take a lifetime to reach him but never taking his eyes from you he replies,

"I'd really like that."

You lean towards him. You close your eyes and then it happens.

Timid at first, the briefest of touches, a tender brush of the lips and then more. His mouth parts. You feel a desperation growing within you, an eagerness as his hand reaches up to grace your cheek.

Flooded suddenly with the release of energy that has been building since that moment in the stable, the two of you collide. You kiss but it is more than a kiss. It is like no kiss you have ever had before and unlike any you will feel again. As Lamuel's hand runs to the nape of your neck and you cling tightly to his hand, a part of you falls away and down into the well. The part of you that never thought you could be kissed this way…

Evertree posted:

After minutes or hours, you could not say, you cease to be one and return to your own body.

Lamuel is looking on you, his face flushed, his eyes wide and his smile wider.

"That was…I mean I never…"

You know what he's trying to say. What will you say in return?

1. "I've never felt this way before either."
2. "I want to be the one you're wishing for."
3. I don't mind if you want to do it again. You know, for practice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007