Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
We’re a nosy person very kind and affable. Ask everything, top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Ask the following questions:
5. Pony - this seems like an important question to ask and also a pretty obvious thing to ask an inn owner
1. How long open - this is the kind of chit-chat and also might give us an opportunity to butter her up by saying how awesome it is that she started her own inn only three years ago / has kept this place running for decades / whatever
4. Other guests - she might tell us about said other guests and help us make friends or find someone else heading our way or whatever

I am intentionally not voting for the other two. Asking about bag help seems pointless (it's a small inn in the middle of nowhere, asking is going to make us seem like a dumbass city dweller) and calling her rooms cheap seems like it might be offensive.

For order, I think it makes sense to go by percentage of votes. The question that everybody wants to ask goes first, then the next highest percentage next, etc, all the way down to "just cleared the 50% bar". Explaining the mechanically optimal strategy afterwards would be interesting, but sometimes making mistakes is part of the deal with CYOA.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fat Samurai posted:

Do this.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I'd like to ask 1, 4 and 5 and like mechanically optimal order.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fat Samurai posted:

Yes.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

cardinale posted:

I'd like to ask 1, 4 and 5 and like mechanically optimal order.

I agree with this.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That Italian Guy posted:

(I guess certain questions may change how much the person we're talking with likes us? and maybe we can offend someone enough to make them not want to talk to us anymore?)

Exactly.

People seem pretty against the mechanical optimised route, so the way I'll do it is ask in vote order (rather than top to bottom, because I don't want a question at the top to lock us out of something most people wanted me to ask, later). I'll explain the mechanical impacts of our choices and how you would optimise them in the Mechanics Corner section at the bottom of occasional updates from this point on.

Here are the vote tallies:

5. 7/7
4. 7/7
1. 6/7
2. 4/7
3. 3/7

"What should I do about my pony?"

Evertree posted:

"Oh don't worry, Lamuel will have taken it round to the stables. You can check in on it later. It's just outside and around to the right."

Lamuel must be one of the staff…

"Are there many other guests staying here?"

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree nods enthusiastically. "Oh yes, we're almost at full capacity tonight."

1. "Who are the other guests?"
2. "I'm glad to hear it."

"How long has Evertree Inn been open?"

Evertree posted:

Mrs Dupree is happy that you asked about the Inn and talks about it readily.

"Well, since you ask, my husband and I came to the area ten years ago. We grew up in the city, you see, and it was always a hectic life. We wanted something a little more rustic. My husband actually built this inn himself. It was all his idea. He even came up with the name."

1. "Why did he decide to build the inn here?"
2. "Does your husband work here too, then?"
3. "Why "Evertree Inn"?"
4. I'd like to ask about something else.

"Your rooms are very cheap. Is there a sale on?"

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree nods her head. "These are hard times," she explains. "Not so many travellers these days and I need all the customers I can get."

1. "I'm sorry to hear that."
2. "Why are the times so hard?"
3. "It's not an indication of the quality of service, is it?"
4. I'd like to ask about something else.

---

Mechanics Corner

Actually, all the questions that might have mechanical changes have follow ups, so we'll go into that after this conversation is over!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 17, 2021

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Who are the other guests? - Gotta get that background intel.

Ask all the follow-ups we can about the Inn's history; she seems to love talking about it. If we're only allowed to ask one, then ask about the name.

I'm sorry to hear that times are rough. Pretty obvious answer here.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Glad!
Evertree?
Sorry

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MagusofStars posted:

If we're only allowed to ask one, then ask about the name.

In general, feel free to give an order of preference, it's often unclear as to whether you'll get to ask one question or the person you're talking to will be willing to keep talking about it, and again, I'll ask either the question with most votes or all the questions with over 50% of votes in order.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I would have preferred the mechanically optimal route, FWIW!

1. Who
-
Ask all 3
-
Ask 1 and 2, NOT 3.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
"Your rooms are very cheap. Is there a sale on?" 2, 1.

"How long has Evertree Inn been open?" 1, 3, 2.

"Are there many other guests staying here?" 1, 2.
Although we've been told not to be nosy so I hope this goes well.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Let's do some follow-ups.

Following up:

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree nods enthusiastically. "Oh yes, we're almost at full capacity tonight."

"Who are the other guests?"

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree gives you a reprimanding look. "Now then, ma'am, I'm sure you wouldn't want your details shared with other guests, would you?"

1. "Sorry, just curious."
2. Try to sneak a peek at the ledger.
3. Offer Mrs. Dupree a bribe (1 gold) to see the other names.

Following up:

Evertree posted:

Mrs Dupree is happy that you asked about the Inn and talks about it readily.

"Well, since you ask, my husband and I came to the area ten years ago. We grew up in the city, you see, and it was always a hectic life. We wanted something a little more rustic. My husband actually built this inn himself. It was all his idea. He even came up with the name."

"Why did he decide to build the inn here?"

Evertree posted:

"Well, that would be…" Mrs. Dupree pauses to think before continuing. "Well, it's a popular road. Lots of people use it when travelling to Lux. It seemed like as good a place as any. And the forest made for a cheap and ready source of wood for building. Nowadays we still use the forest for firewood, herbs, game… it's a very convenient location, really, when you start to think about it."

"Why "Evertree Inn"?"

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree shrugs and says, "You'd have to ask my husband."

You aren't sure why, but her response to your question felt strangely evasive…

"Does your husband work here too, then?"

Evertree posted:

An air of sad nostalgia comes over Mrs. Dupree's face as she explains, "No, alas; he passed away five years ago." <Clue 2 updated!>

1. "That must have been very hard."
2. "Was it an unusual death?"
3. "Then how am I supposed to ask him about the inn's name?"
4. This is a sensitive subject. I'd rather move on to something else.

We've just discovered our first clue.

Stats posted:

Clues
2 - Mr. Dupree died at the inn, 5 years ago.

I can now talk about how clues work. The first thing to note is that they're not "yes/no" variables. They have levels. Each clue can be considered a topic, and as the (hidden) number of the clue increases, it corresponds to learning more about that topic, the text on the stats screen will also change as we learn more. Different clue levels unlock different questions you can ask characters and have other mechanical effects, which we'll get to later.

Following up:

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree nods her head. "These are hard times," she explains. "Not so many travellers these days and I need all the customers I can get."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree smiles. "It's no worry. We get bad seasons from time to time…"

You can tell that she is not telling you something but it looks like asking her would only make her more defensive.

1. "Is that really the only reason?"
2. I'll drop it and ask about something else.
3. I could try using magic…

We can tell that she wouldn't respond well to probing more due to our high perception. If she liked us more, she'd have been fine with it, and we would have been able to detect that too. Of course, that doesn't stop us trying, just because she wouldn't like it doesn't mean we couldn't pull it off.

If we try and use magic, we get this:

Evertree posted:

She's clearly not willing to tell you what she's thinking, but you could always use your magic to read her mind.

1. No, it's not worth the risk of getting caught! I'll ask about something else.
2. I'm confident I can be subtle enough. I'll read her mind. (Mana: 10)

If you say 3, above, I'll assume that you do indeed want to use magic in the next choice!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We were just curious about other guests. We have basically zero sneaky/thieving abilities, so we'd probably fail at trying to sneak a peek of the ledger. As for the bribe, it's not clear if she'd accept it and in any case we've already spent a lot of our money so it's probably not a wise use of funds. We'll presumably meet the other guests soon enough anyways, then we can ask about her opinions of them after that if needed.

I'm sorry about your husband's death. Makes us sound sympathetic while still keeping that conversation thread active (unlike Option 4). I do think prying further into his death would be good, but asking about it straight isn't likely to get us anywhere.

Use some magic to read her mind. The thread built this character to pump magic, be pretty dumb to pass up the opportunity to use our skills.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
"Who are the other guests?"
Don't ask any followup. I don't think we're roguish enough to succeed at peeking at the ledger.

"Does your husband work here too, then?"
1. "That must have been very hard."

"I'm sorry to hear that."
3. I could try using magic…read her mind.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Try to sneak a peek at the ledger (and inevitably fail, resulting in Glangwen Ogg just openly gawking at it)

"Then how am I supposed to ask him about the inn's name?" sounds like an in-character response

I could try using magic… I'd prefer to aim for headology over spending actual mana points when possible, but our headology already told us that asking further isn't gonna work!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Bifauxnen posted:

I'd prefer to aim for headology over spending actual mana points when possible, but our headology already told us that asking further isn't gonna work!

Well, not yet. We have to keep asking questions, get the conversation to the 'showing pictures of the grandchildren' point. That's how you get information.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

We've got a tie for "Who are the other guests?". Once that's broken, I'll update.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Let's say that we were just curious then.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Okay!

We were just curious about the other guests.

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree is placated by your apology. "Well, remember what happened to the curious cat, ma'am," she says. You get the impression that this is not so much a threat as a kind warning.

She's totally fine with that response, and yes, your instincts were right, we couldn't have got away looking at the ledger. It's actually a two stage check. First, there's a guile check, to see if Laisa notices and stops you (which we would have failed), then there's a separate perception check to see how much you can actually take in. If we'd been able to get past the guile check we'd have been able to read the whole ledger, but yeah, not stealthy enough.

Laisa's husband's death must have been very hard.

Evertree posted:

Then she snaps out of her melancholy. "But that's all in the past now. What else can I help you with, ma'am?"
Laisa %+5

That choice made Laisa like us a little more, not enough that we'd have got different answers to any of the other questions, but a little more. Evertree and Sordwin use a combination of what choicecode calls "fairmath" and standard increases to stats. Standard increases, which I will use simple +X just add that number to the stat directly, so if you had 50 in a stat and hit a +5 to that stat it would go to 55. Fairmath makes it progressively more difficult to raise stats the higher that the stat is. Instead of X, %+X would add (100-stat value)*(X/100), in the 50 example we had above, that means %+5 would correspond to a 3 point increase after rounding.

We're a shaman, let's do some magic to find out why the rooms are so cheap.

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree's mind is surprisingly strong but as your spell starts to work you catch a glimpse of the secret she is trying to hide.

I cautiously open the door to the room. I dread to think what I might find but…oh Gods. Is he dead?

Mrs. Dupree is thinking about a death in this very inn. The memory feels recent, perhaps within the last week. <Clue 1 updated!>

You end the spell and can't tell if Mrs. Dupree knows what you just tried to do… but she looks suspicious.
Laisa %-10
Magic %+2
Guile -2

Stats posted:

Clues
1. Someone died in one of the rooms a week ago.

We got the info (because we were good enough at magic), but Laisa realised (because we're the least subtle person on the planet and have a guile score of literally 3). Getting caught when trying to read minds is generally not an issue, but people will often comment that you look vacant, and Laisa is particularly observant.

Anyway, that's all the questions we wanted to ask, so let's proceed.

I'm all done asking questions

Evertree posted:

Mrs. Dupree stares at you expectantly and then you realise that she must be waiting for payment. You pull out your coin purse from inside your robe and check the contents…it feels lighter for some reason.

It must have been that halfling who bumped into you before he went upstairs to his room! <Clue 3 updated!>

1. Tell Mrs. Dupree that the halfling must have taken it!
2. Keep quiet - I can confront the halfling later.
3. Keep quiet - I don't really care. I can still afford the room.

Stats posted:

Clues
3 - The halfling staying at the inn stole 3 gold pieces from you.

We spotted that our coin purse this due to our high perception, which has really been doing work these last few updates. So, do we mention it, or hold onto this information?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

2. Keep quiet - I can confront the halfling later.
The innkeeper doesn't seem to be one for unnecessary ruckus and we are both guests at her inn.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Keep quiet, hold him by his ankles and shake it out of him later. In a friendly way, of course.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Confront later.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Later, it is.

Evertree posted:

You just need to remember in which room the halfling is staying.

The game actually asks you to remember this, here. You can have noticed it when Laisa gives the keys over, or when you looked at the ledger. You also get another chance to look at the ledger here. But by the perfect memory granted to Glangwen by the power of let's plays, she can recall this:

Some number of updates ago posted:

The inside of the tavern is built with a smooth oak wood that glows brown under the gentle warmth of the many candles that line the walls in brackets. The lobby contains no furniture but for a counter behind which is standing a large woman wearing a grubby apron and scribbling into a ledger with a brilliant, blue quill. Standing on a stool so that he can see over the top of the counter is a halfling. He appears to be checking in.

"Thank you, Mr. Brushgather, and this is your room key. You'll be staying in room 2. It's right up…"

"I'm sure I'll find it!" the halfling interrupts irritably. He grabs his key and hops down off the stool so quickly that he crashes right into you.

So, remembering that:

Evertree posted:

That sounds right! You can confront the halfling later if you want your money back. <Clue 3 updated!>

Stats posted:

Clues
3 - Mr. Brushgather, the halfling in Room 2, stole 3 gold pieces from you.

Evertree posted:

You take three gold pieces and hand them over to Mrs. Dupree who puts them into a small metal container behind the counter.

"Enjoy your stay, ma'am. I'll be here for a while longer if you have any questions once you're settled."

And so, having finished checking in, you head up the stairs and begin searching for your room.

The map you've been given is hardly necessary given the small size of the building. The corridor is the same as the lobby, the same smooth, dark-brown wood on the walls and flickering candles in brackets. The effect is eerie as the sunlight fades beyond the single window.

You reach door "1" and fumble for your key.

If we'd asked for someone to help carry our bags, we could have met the maid here, and had a chat with them, but as it is, it's just us.

Evertree posted:

With the door unlocked, you push it open to find yourself in a simple room. It consists of a small, wooden bed with a thick quilt and furs for warmth. There is also a small table and a closet into which you place your bags for safe-keeping. There is one window that looks out onto the road that brought you to the inn.

Evertree posted:

Alone at last, you have time to make a full inspection of the room. It's very clean and well-maintained and the quality of the wood used for the furniture is extraordinary.

You move over to the window for a better view and see the world stretching out as far as the eye can see. To the right, there are white towers, their flags emblazoned with the Golden Anchor of Lux, a stark contrast to the Acacia trees of Flom, your home. The world truly is a big place and just looking out you feel very small.

You stand there for a while longer as the sun all but disappears, and then you turn to the door on your right that leads to the washroom. A bath would be perfect before dinner, and then you can settle down to a quiet night's rest.

You start to undress, and as you do, the map that Mrs. Dupree drew for you falls from your pocket. You bend down to pick it up, and that's when you notice that something is written on the other side. It appears to be a letter, and as you scan the contents, you're pretty sure that Mrs. Dupree didn't mean for you to read it.

Evertree posted:

<Clue 1 updated!>

To Mrs. Laisa Dupree,

The city of Lux hereby suspends your licence to provide lodgings at Evertree Inn pending investigations into the death of Mr. Gregori Risenfaal.

Please refrain from continuing your business until it has been declared safe by a city council official.

Signed, John Gubrick

Mayor of Lux

So much for a quiet night…

Stats posted:

Clues
1 - A Luxican official named Gregori Risenfaal died in one of the rooms a week ago.

Evertree posted:

Bonus!
And now for a bonus!

You feel like so far you have been pretty successful at uncovering some of the mysteries that Evertree Inn has to offer and this experience will increase your abilities moving forwards.

You have earned almost the maximum possible bonus for this stage!

Choose one skill you would like to improve before moving on to the next chapter.

1. Combat.
2. Guile.
3. Perception.
4. Magic and Mana.
5. I want to improve everything equally.

At the end of every chapter but the last, this will happen. It gives you a chance to improve a stat (often significantly) in addition to the smaller improvements you can get from using those stats in game. Each chapter has different requirements for its bonus. In this game, but not Sordwin, every bonus change is absolute, you just get a flat number, equal to your bonus, added to the stat of your choice, or a smaller number added to all the stats. As you can see we did pretty well here, getting nearly the maximum. The maximum bonus for this chapter is 10, and we achieved 8. We missed starting Clue 4 due to choices we made, had we have also done that, we would have got the maximum. So, anyway, where do we want to put our 8 points?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

This seems like a pain-free way to Increase every stat. Later on we can focus magic, but for now it will be easy to increase naturally.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Focus on guile for now. We should specialize, but also not be terrible at anything.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I can see into the future and I perceive that things will get interesting

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Let's do magic. Might as well pump it up early.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I knew that drat halfling was shady. Pump guile imo. At the end of the run are you going to do any mechanics posts for stuff we missed, like that clue 4 you mentioned?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CountryMatters posted:

I knew that drat halfling was shady. Pump guile imo. At the end of the run are you going to do any mechanics posts for stuff we missed, like that clue 4 you mentioned?

Yep. I will. I've not entirely decided when it makes sense to do it, but I do think the end is probably the right point, so that we don't spoil things in advance of Glangwen finding them out.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

I vote for guile as well. I want mind-reading shenanigans to be solely Nanny Ogg's business.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Let's get a wee bit more stealthy.

Evertree posted:

You feel a surge of inspiration as you consider all that you have uncovered and know that you will be able to expose far more secrets as your adventure continues.

Now, on to the next chapter!
Guile +8

Here are our end of chapter stats.

Stats posted:

Current Stats

Character
Name: Glangwen Ogg
Race: Elf
Weapon: Staff
Stats:
Combat: 25/100
Guile: 11/100
Perception: 67/100
Magic: 51/100
Gold: 4
Mana: 90
Warnings: None

Suspects
(Suspects with a higher % will be more co-operative)
Laisa: 25/100
???: 10/100

Clues
1 - A Luxican official named Gregori Risenfaal died in one of the rooms a week ago.
2 - Mr. Dupree died at the inn, 5 years ago.
3 - Mr. Brushgather, the halfling in Room 2, stole 3 gold pieces from you.
4 - ?
5 - ?
6 - ?
7 - ?
8 - ?
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - ?
13 - ?
14 - ?
15 - ?

Evertree posted:

Chapter 2 - An Hour To Kill
You read and reread the letter several times, going over everything in your mind. It's all a bit much to process.

A death and a suspension of the licence; Mrs. Dupree has certainly not been honest with you, but how do you feel about this information?

1. I love a good mystery! Let's get to investigating!
2. This is outrageous. Mrs. Dupree is breaking the law!
3. Am I even safe here?
4. If this place is operating outside of the law, perhaps I can get away with some theft.
5. Meh, it happened a week ago. I'm more interested in just exploring.

This choice just gets us a define Glangwen a little more, but has only narrative, no statistical, impact, so I'll give the text for our choice next update. But carry on with the main story for now.

Evertree posted:

As you ponder this, you catch sight of yourself in the mirror and realise that you're still carrying the filth of the road on you. Your clothes are smelling pretty bad and you haven't washed in several days. While travelling, this was never a problem, but this inn is full of guests. Is it really okay to appear in public in your current state?

You examine yourself in the mirror. You're not a bad looking elf, by most standards. You've never had any complaints about your appearance, particularly your beautiful, black eyes, and underneath your travelling clothes, your body is…

1. Sculpted from years of combat training.
2. Slight as one who is used to getting out of scrapes.
3. Rugged and scarred from the events of my life.
4. Smooth and flawless, almost magical.

Surprisingly, this choice doesn't actually modify your stats directly, but does have mechanical impacts in other places, so it's not purely fluff to help give you an idea of what your character looks like. We don't have enough guile to have had a past that lead us to be lithe, but we hit the stats required for all of the other potential body types.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Rugged and marked by a life well lived. And we love a good mystery, as befits a nosy person.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We are a rugged crone that loves a good mystery.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Perfect

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nothing is going to catch those choices now.

Glangwen loves a good mystery!

Evertree posted:

Nothing livens up a boring night in a country tavern like a mystery. The next step will be to figure out which room was the scene of the crime.

And she's rugged and scarred from the events of her life.

Evertree posted:

Marked with a patchwork of scrapes, you have the scarred look of one who has been hardened by life. Though perhaps not conventionally beautiful, your body tells the story of who you are.

Yes, it's certainly true that had it not been for the fire you would never have wanted for attention from either gender back in Flom. As it is, it has been some time since you've worried too much about what people might think of how you look. When you get to Lux it will be important to dress appropriately. This could be a good opportunity to try it out.

So what would you like to do?

1. I've got time. I'll take a bath and get really cleaned up before I go out in public again!
2. I think I'll just get changed. I don't want to waste too much time in my room.
3. Forget smelling nice, I just want to get to work!
4. Actually, before any of that, I'd like to take a couple of minutes to search the room.

This begins to show why LPing chapter 2 is going to be a challenge. We have 1 hour of in-game time and more or less free reign to explore the inn, meet characters etc. All actions take a given amount of time (though without looking at the code, you don't know how much). Essentially this chapter is as close as a CYOA can get to an "open world" game. Our aim is just to find out as much as we can about what's going on in this inn within the hour before dinner. So, consider your actions going forward through that framing. Here we can pick one of 1, 2 and 3 and either do 4 or not. If we have the bath, we also get changed.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 21, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

4 then 2.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

4 then 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

4 2