Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MagusofStars posted:

1. We're getting plenty of good information here and Daisy didn't like it the last time we decided not to drink, so let's keep this info train rolling with a light glass of wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"You know what, actually I will have something stronger."

Evertree posted:

Take care. Elves are not quite so good as other races at holding their drink….

"Tha's more like it!" Daisy smiles. It's only a small slur, but you can see that she is feeling the effects of the wine.

1. "What do you know about the woods?"
2. "Did you and Isaria ever…?"
3. "The food here's good, isn't it?"
4. I don't have anything else I want to talk about with Daisy.
Daisy +3
Drunkenness +2

I'm assuming we want 1 here, but I'll still let people vote.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

With That Italian Guy's vote from earlier, I think that's a consensus.

"What do you know about the woods?"

Evertree posted:

"Lots and nothing. The Firstwood is supposed to be ancient, older than most of the races in this World. And that means that the creatures that live in it are also ancient. Perhaps here on the edge it's not so bad, but the deeper in you go, the more the impossible becomes possible."

As if you haven't shown enough awe at her description, she steps it up a notch. "Literally all the monsters that your mother used to scare you with at night: Were-animals, apparitions, feykind, hags, shadowforms, carnivorous plants, trolls…you name it and it exists in that wood. And on top of that, it gets so dense that sunlight can't penetrate its canopy. It can't be mapped or navigated. I once met an explorer who had tried to plunder its depths. He was barely able to string a sentence together. The forest drove him mad."

1. "Well, you've definitely put me off going in there anytime soon."
2. "I get it. It's scary."

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
1, although as a druid we probably want to go there.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Well, you've definitely put me off going in there anytime soon."

Evertree posted:

"Good," Daisy says seriously. "Underestimate that kind of thing at your own risk."

You notice Lamuel the stablehand exit the kitchen and walk across the dining hall to the lobby. From the sound of the front door opening and closing, you assume he must be going outside to check on the animals.

Daisy too notices the movement, but only so much as to check that it wasn't Isaria finally coming down to join her.

1. "Did you and Isaria ever…?"
2. "The food here's good, isn't it?"
3. I don't have anything else I want to talk about with Daisy.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CottonWolf posted:

"Well, you've definitely put me off going in there anytime soon."

Time to go and meet Lamuel. 3!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Huh. We've hit a bug.

When I try to leave we get this:

Evertree posted:

The conversation falters, and this irritates Daisy, who manages a little bit of small talk before giving up in favour of consuming wine and looking over at the door.

Wen comes over to the table bearing food and drink, and you set about satisfying the hunger that has been creeping up on you all day while Daisy sips at her wine, her blue eyes surveying your smart attire.

"I'm glad to see you making an effort. Too many people think of fashion as optional."

"I couldn't agree more! Fashion is important."
"It hardly compares to your attire, but thank you."
"I'm not bothered by fashion, but getting dressed up for dinner is good manners."

Which has looped us back to the start of this conversation. I'll have a fiddle about and see what's going on in the code this evening and then report back.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Apparently we do have more to talk about with Daisy.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I've worked out what caused it. There's a missing else in an if-else statement. This actually isn't the Daisy conversation we just had, the code pushed us into the conversation we would have had with Daisy if we were her lover. I've reported it to Thom.

Anyway, it probably won't be fixed for a little while, so we have a couple of options at this point. We could leave and follow Gunther at the choice earlier, we could sit alone when we were asked at the start of this chapter, or we could look and see what Daisy's lover dialogue looks like before we retcon.

E: Actually, another variable that was carried over means we can continue on more or less as we were, the only difference is that Daisy will have had her relationship value set to 80, which might break things later. But I can go back through and fix that once the fix has been uploaded. So we can carry on as we were.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 25, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We are so open to every opportunity that we managed to get TWO lovers instead of one? Who said goons can't get laid.

I think we should try to get to the bottom of this wood cellar since we have completely missed it so far, and I guess it's probably accessible from the outside? If so, try and get back to Lemuel whenever we can. Update happened.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

By the power of me working out what the code was meant to say!

Evertree posted:

The conversation falters, and this irritates Daisy, who manages a little bit of small talk before giving up in favour of consuming wine and looking over at the door.

Eventually the awkward silence is broken by the sound of a commotion in the lobby. Daisy looks relieved that her travelling companion will finally be coming to save her from your company, but her face falls when you both realise that it is not Isaria Evenveil who is speaking loudly with Mrs. Dupree.

Evertree posted:

From your table you are able to hear the conversation clearly, as can the rest of the inn. The guest who is complaining is doing so very loudly and said guest is none other than the halfling, Mr. Brushgather.

"This is outrageous! You sold that room to me under false pretenses!"

"So you claim, Mr. Brushgather but Evertree Inn has a 'no refunds' policy. If you are dissatisfied with your accommodation then that's not my fault!"

Mrs. Dupree too is now clearly losing her temper as both voices rise.

"I don't think anyone would be happy to be staying in a place that's cursed! Guests should be warned of that sort of thing! I demand my gold back and I want compensation! My life has been in danger!" <Clue 13 updated!>

Mrs. Dupree falters. You're not sure exactly what's going on here, and maybe it would be better not to get involved, but then again, perhaps you could help to resolve this situation, or even benefit from it.

1. Go and step in on behalf of Mrs. Dupree to calm Mr. Brushgather down.
2. Go and join Mr. Brushgather in demanding recompense for Mrs. Dupree's supposed deception.
3. Go and watch the exchange as it continues.
4. Stay where you are.

Stats posted:

Clues
13 - Tobin the halfling claims that the inn is cursed.

~~~ Stats~~~

Stats posted:

Current Stats

Character
Name: Glangwen Ogg
Race: Elf
Weapon: Staff
Stats:
Combat: 34/100
Guile: 17/100
Perception: 67/100
Magic: 52/100
Gold: 11
Mana: 35
Warnings: None

Suspects
(Suspects with a higher % will be more co-operative)
Owner: Laisa: 33/100
Gardener: Lamuel: 50/100
Maid: Wen: 53/100
???: 18/100
Tobin Brushgather: 8/100
Gunther Ga'arl: 5/100
Daisy Thorne: 8̵̧̪͊0̶̛̝̐/100
Isaria Evenveil: 23/100

Romance: You definitely have a connection with Mrs. Dupree's son, Lamuel. You hope it could turn into something more.

Clues
1 - Luxican official Gregori Risenfaal was murdered in room 3 a week ago with a wooden hair comb.
2 - Mr. Dupree died at the inn, 5 years ago, falling into the wood cellar.
3 - The mystery of your stolen 3 gold pieces has been resolved.
4 - Wen was adopted by Mrs. Dupree after she was abandoned by her parents in her room eight years ago.
5 - The elf in room 6, Isaria Evenveil, is a VIP.
6 - ?
7 - Mr. Risenfaal was leering after Lamuel during his stay.
8 - Wen is scared of the wood cellar.
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - ?
13 - Tobin the halfling claims that the inn is cursed.
14 - ?
15 - ?

Evertree posted:

Backstory
You grew up in Flom, the oldest of three in a family of elves. Comfortable living alongside nature, your true goal in life was always to become a dedicated shaman.

When a fire destroyed your family home, you and your father were the only survivors. You were forced to start all over again, living on the streets. It all seemed so hopeless until you learned of an opportunity in a far off city, a chance to get your life back on track.

And so with nothing to your name but your pony, your trusty staff, and your keen instincts, you set off on the road to Lux, and that is how you came to arrive at Evertree Inn. It seemed as good a place as any to stop for the night….

Ending:
Check back here at The End.

That Italian Guy posted:

We are so open to every opportunity that we managed to get TWO lovers instead of one? Who said goons can't get laid.

But like a true goon, we only managed this feat accidentally.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 25, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mrs Dupree definitely knows more about the mystery than this halfling, so let's keep her on our good side.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

3, go and watch - let's not jump in too quickly, we might miss hearing something important.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Black Robe posted:

3, go and watch - let's not jump in too quickly, we might miss hearing something important.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Black Robe posted:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Go and watch the exchange as it continues.

Evertree posted:

You look over at Daisy, who is fixed on the conversation with avid curiosity, and as you stand up, she nods for you to go and get a better look. Now that you are on your feet, you feel a rush to your head. The alcohol that you consumed with dinner is still in your system, but rather than inhibiting your abilities, you find it gives you a surge of confidence. Good thing you didn't drink any more, or you might have found yourself feeling quite unwell.

Once you are in the lobby, you can see the scene for exactly what it is. Mr. Brushgather is standing on the stool on which you saw him when you first arrived at the hotel, and he is gesticulating wildly at Mrs. Dupree, who looks as though she's about to buckle under the vicious assault of his accusations. You could almost feel bad for the woman until her knight in shining armour arrives.

Thundering down the stairs comes Mr. Ga'arl, causing the other two to fall silent.

"Tobin Brushgather, is it? You know, extortion is a very serious crime, little man!" he rumbles dangerously at the halfling. "You'd better have some pretty solid evidence to back your claim."

Possibly surprised by the eloquence with which the half-orc is speaking, or possibly just terrified by the threat from an individual that could swallow him whole, Mr. Brushgather is unable to respond.

"That's what I thought," the half-orc concludes. "Now perhaps you had best be on your way."

Mr. Brushgather grabs his pack and, giving everyone a furious look, he flees to the front door. As he opens it, he turns back to the room and says, "On your own heads be it. I'd rather be down a few gold than risk a night in this house of death!"
Combat %+2
Guile %+2
Perception %+2
Magic %+2

We picked the right amount of drinking here for a optimal drunkenness buff. I wish that was a thing I regularly got in real life.

Evertree posted:

The situation resolved, the half-orc turns and heads upstairs, and Mrs. Dupree lets out a flustered sigh.

In the aftermath of everything that has happened and been said, you find your mind is whirling. Is this place really cursed? What did Mr. Brushgather know that made him make that claim?

You don't have much time if you want to find out.

1. I'm going to chase after Mr. Brushgather.
2. Let Mr. Brushgather leave. He was probably just trying to pull a con.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1. I know a quest hook when I see one.

Also, let's just make sure to stand well away from him; I'd hate to have him rob us again.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

1 and now I really want to see what happens on the Ga'arl team path.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm going to chase after Mr. Brushgather.

Evertree posted:

With no time to waste, you make your way hastily from the inn just in time to see Mr. Brushgather closing the front gate. He looks to be in a hurry, and so you call out to him to turn around.

"Oh, it's you," he says flatly as you approach. "Whatever it is, I didn't take it this time." He's clearly not in the mood for small talk, so choose your questions carefully.

What would you like to ask?

1. "Why did you come to the inn?"
2. "What did you mean when you said this place was cursed?"
3. I'm finished. "Thank you for your assistance, Mr. Brushgather. I wish you all the best on your travels."
4. I'm finished. "Okay, that's everything. You can be on your way now."

E: Forgot to add choice numbers!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 25, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

"What did you mean when you said this place was cursed?"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"What did you mean when you said this place was cursed?"

Evertree posted:

The halfling scoffs.

"Got you nervous, have I? Well, I guess you should be."

It's not an answer but he obviously doesn't trust you enough with the truth.

You prepare to ask another question and Tobin holds up his hand. "I'm going to stop you there. As much as I'm loving standing here in the cold, I, unlike some people, don't have a place to sleep tonight, so if you wouldn't mind, kindly shut up and let me be on my way."

1. "Fine, you can be on your way."
2. "I can pay you for information!"

For some reason Tobin doesn't like us.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

May as well make him work for the gold he tried to steal from us.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Marluxia posted:

May as well make him work for the gold he tried to steal from us.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"I can pay you for information!"

Evertree posted:

Tobin stops and a calculating smile spreads across his face. "Well, if that's the case, I'll tell you what. For every gold piece you give me, I'll answer one of your questions."

1. "Deal."
2. "No deal."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

1 let's play twenty questions with the Halfling.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Deal"

Evertree posted:

You agree to pay one gold piece for every question you ask from now on and Mr. Brushgather asks, "So with what can I help you, ma'am?"

1. "Why did you really come to the inn?"
2. "What did you really mean when you said this place was cursed?"
3. I'm finished. "Thank you for your assistance, Mr. Brushgather. I wish you all the best on your travels."

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I think if we ask why he “really” came to the Inn, we’ll get something useless; asking about the curse seems more likely to lead directly to the death.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"What did you really mean when you said this place was cursed?"

Evertree posted:

You hand over the gold and Tobin starts talking.

"I meant," he says, choosing his words carefully, "that from everything I've heard, it wouldn't be impossible for someone to think that there was a curse on this place. Of course, I don't believe it, but stuff has been happening to people while they're here. People check in and they never check out. It happened to two people just a couple of months ago. <Clue 11 updated!>

2. "What happened? How did two people disappear?"
Gold -1
Tobin +20

Stats posted:

Clues
11 - Two guests went missing from their room recently.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"What happened? How did two people disappear?"

Evertree posted:

A coin is exchanged.

"No-one knows," Tobin shrugs. "They were the criminal sort, not likely to get noticed by anyone as missing except maybe other thieves. Some pals of mine told me that these two checked into the inn hoping to rob the place and never checked back out." <Clue 11 updated!>

2. "Do you know anything about the two who disappeared?"
Gold -1

Stats posted:

Clues
11 - Two thieves went missing from their room a couple of months ago while trying to rob the place.