Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
4, 2

Getting changed shouldn't take much time at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Right, let's have a quick poke around.

Actually, before any of that, I'd like to take a couple of minutes to search the room.

Evertree posted:

You spend a few minutes going over the room and as you open the little drawer in the bedside table you find something that has rolled to the back, an object that must have belonged to a previous guest. You recognise it straight away as a sunstick. These small wooden wands have a glass head at one end which when smashed, emits a light that shines as brightly as a candle for several minutes. You're not sure if it will be useful at all but it would definitely be worth taking.

Other than this impressive find, your search only reveals a single gold coin that had rolled under the bed, which you happily pocket.

Now you had best make a decision about your appearance.
+1 Gold
+1 Sunstick

I think I'll just get changed. I don't want to waste too much time in my room.

Evertree posted:

You open up your travel bag and lay out your various clothing options on the bed. You don't own much, but with a little creativity you have a number of combinations you could try.

How will you be dressed for the night?

1. In something tough and practical in case I get into any scrapes.
2. In something smart. I want to impress the other guests.
3. Something more…appealing. Nothing wrong with turning a few heads.
4. All black, perfect for sneaking around unnoticed, though perhaps not for making friends.
5. Just another set of travelling clothes.

Each of these causes some stat modifications apart from the travelling clothes, which in some sense is the "default" option where you stay the same. I don't want to tell you exactly what these do before you pick (because some of them have non-intuitive effects), but I'll explain afterwards.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 23, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Black is the only acceptable colour for a witch elf. boots or stockings may occasionally be exempt

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Be smart.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We're dressed smart because first impressions matter.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The sunstick we found last update would have been more useful if we'd not have been a magic user, but as it is, we can create light with the wave of a hand. Perhaps it will save us some mana at some point though.

Anyway, let's dress smartly.

Evertree posted:

You don't own much of which to be proud but you do have a clean, white shirt with a stylish neckerchief to give you a more sophisticated air. Coupled with black leather breeches, tunic, and boots, you feel as though you could almost be considered quite fancy.

You check your look in the mirror and fix a gold pin to your lapel… perfect.

Thinking about what to do now, you recall how Mrs. Dupree said that it would be about an hour until dinner and according to your map, there are quite a few places to explore.
There are six rooms on your floor, some empty and some with guests.
Downstairs is the lobby and the dining room.
Outside your pony has been put in the stables.

Don't forget that you have a limited time. You might not be able to see and talk to everyone, so pick and choose carefully. Also remember that you are a guest. You don't want to get in trouble or you might be thrown out.

Where would you like to go now?

[Note - You have 56 minutes left until dinner.]

1. Check out Room 2.
2. Check out Room 3.
3. Check out Room 4.
4. Check out Room 5.
5. Check out Room 6.
6. Go and see if Mrs. Dupree is still in the lobby.
7. Go to the dining hall.
8. Head outside.
9. On second thought, I think I do need to have a bath.
10. I'm done with exploring. I'm just going to rest until dinner time.

Laisa +5
??? +5
??? +5
??? +5
??? +5
??? +5
??? +5

So begins Chapter 2 proper. Before I go into that, clothes. As you can see, wearing smart clothes made most people (but not everyone) like us more. We'll also get occasional comments about our clothing when we meet people. Practical clothing gives a small buff to both combat and magic (because the ease of movement it makes the somatic components easier to pull off). All black gives a significant guile boost, but makes literally everyone like you less. Finally, "appealing" (or sexy as it's outright called in the code), gives you a guile penalty and nothing else, but can give you some pretty significant boosts to people's reactions to you later if you make the right choices. As I mentioned earler, travelling clothes have no effect at all.

Okay, Chapter 2: So we can go anywhere, in any order. Some locations change as time proceeds or if you've been there before. The more questions you ask a person when you're talking to them, the longer it takes, as you would expect. As it is, we didn't get a peak at the ledger, so we don't know who's in each room. All we know is that Tobin Bushgather, the halfling who took our gold, is in room 2, and that someone called Lamuel took our pony outside.

So, with that information, where do we want to go first?

Note: I'm not going to put our statblock at the end of every update, I'll probably just do that at the end of chapters, but I will be keeping the statblock in the OP updated.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 23, 2021

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Let's check out rooms, starting from 6 and going in reverse numerical order to 2. Either to chat with others or to search unoccupied rooms for more information. This intentionally leaves #2 for last, because I suspect that'll be pointless anyways, so better to put that off for last rather than wasting our entire free hour on a fruitless argument.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Yeah, let's check out rooms 6-2 and start getting the lay of the land.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'd rather check number 2, actually.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I'd rather check number 2, actually.

Same here.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

We need a room 2 or room 6 tie-breaker.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We're number 2, we're number 2!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

In that case, we come to a door. What do we do with the door?

Evertree posted:

The door to room 2 looks just like all the other doors on the first floor except for the brass number nailed into the wood. It's also directly opposite the door to your own room.

What would you like to do?

1. Listen at the door.
2. Knock on the door.
Break into the room.

Evertree posted:

There's more than one way to break and enter. Would you like to use strength or cunning to get into the room?

3. Strength. I'll literally break in.
4. Cunning, I'm an expert lock-picker.
5. Neither, I'll use magic. (Mana:5)

6. I'd rather explore somewhere else.

Classic door problems.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Stop, look, listen

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Evertree posted:

You strain your ears and feel like you can hear something on the other side, but only faintly. There's certainly someone in there, but they're being very quiet.

Perception %+2 (which in our case actually corresponds to no increase because our perception is already so high)

All the other options are still available!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Magic in.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yup

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Unless anyone has any problems with it, going forward, if we encounter any locked doors or containers, I'm just going to magic through them. It seems like that's our MO.

Evertree posted:

It might be a simple spell, but it's one of the most useful. By closing your eyes and making a few fluid hand gestures, you feel a small wave of energy slip into the lock and press against the mechanism.

With a light click, the door opens to reveal an empty room. As you enter you feel a chill as a breeze rushes over from the open window on the far wall.

This room is smaller than yours but furnished in the same way with a bed, a closet, and a mirror. There are some scattered belongings around, suggesting that the room is in use, but the owner is nowhere to be seen. It might not be ethical to go through someone else's things, but then it's not ethical to break into someone else's hotel room. Maybe you're just not a very ethical elf.

You have a moment to snoop around if you would like to.

Where would you like to look?

1. Check the belongings.
2. Check the closet.
3. Check under the bed.
4. Check the window.
5. Leave the room.
Magic %+2

We know that someone's in here somewhere...

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 25, 2021

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Check the closet

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

OOrochi posted:

Check the closet
Agreed, closet. If the person is still here (rather than Rapunzel-ling out the window), that's the most likely hiding spot.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Window feels like a misdirect, go for the closet

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The closet it is.

Evertree posted:

The closet, like yours, is equipped with a lock to keep the contents safe. It looks similar in design to the locks on the doors to the rooms and requires a key which you do not have. There might be another way to gain access, however.

And with a wave of the hand, and an expension of 5 mana:

Evertree posted:

The spell is straightforward enough, even on a tough lock like this one, and with a magical click, the door opens and you have access to the contents of the closet.

Inside you find only a small coin purse resting on the smooth wood. It contains 5 gold pieces. You also notice sewn onto the side of the purse is the name "Tobin Brushgather."

This was the halfling who bumped into you upon your arrival at the Inn, and you can be pretty certain he was responsible for stealing your gold.

Now is your opportunity to win it back. <Clue 3 updated!>

1. I'll take all 5 gold pieces!
2. I'll just take 3 gold pieces since that is what was stolen from me before.
3. I'll take back 1 gold piece. That way he'll know that I bested him and that I don't care that he bested me!
4. I'll just leave it. I'm not a thief.
Magic %+2

Stats posted:

Clues
3 - The mystery of your stolen 3 gold pieces has been resolved.

So, how law abiding is Glangwen?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

1. You do not mess with a witch

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Only take what is ours. No need to start a feud with him right now, we've got murders to solve.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

one piece for us for max :smug:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1. All the money

We already broke into his room, broke into his closet, and are taking money from his purse. At this point, he's going to be loving pissed at us if he realizes it was us, regardless of whether we take 1/3/5 GP; might as well make the most money off it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Take 3

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Take all of it, we need compensation for our mana expenses!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shouldn't have messed with us.

I'll take all 5 gold pieces!

Evertree posted:

You pocket the gold and have another quick look around the room, but find nothing else of value. The sound of footsteps moving around outside causes you to freeze, but eventually they go away, and you remain undiscovered. You figure you've probably lingered long enough now and so, content with your findings and with your own coin purse considerably heavier, you sneak back out of room 2.

Where would you like to go now?

[Note - You have 53 minutes left until dinner.]

1. Check out Room 3.
2. Check out Room 4.
3. Check out Room 5.
4. Check out Room 6.
5. Go and see if Mrs. Dupree is still in the lobby.
6. Go to the dining hall.
7. Head outside.
8. On second thought, I think I do need to have a bath.
9. I'm done with exploring. I'm just going to rest until dinner time.

Gold +5
Guile %+2
??? -10

We get guile here, because, at least in Evertree, guile measures both your willingness and ability to steal. Willingness to steal is combined into a separate statistic in Sordwin, which measures your general disposition.

Anyway, where to now? That only took us 3 minutes, so a very profitable diversion. We technically have the option to go back to room 2 again, but the game basically says "I'm not sure that's a good idea!" and throws you back to this menu, so I didn't put it on the list.

Here's the text for those interested:

Evertree posted:

There's nothing else to be done in this room for now. Certainly the halfling staying there won't want to make conversation again.

You'd be better off using your time elsewhere.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 27, 2021

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Let’s check out room 3

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

What's in Room 4

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Slaan posted:

What's in Room 4
:agreed: on Room 4. The first even-numbered room worked well, why not try it again?

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Is there meant to be anything to give us a clue as to which rooms are important or is it really just trial and error/remember it on your second playthrough?

I suppose I'll jump on the bandwagon for 4

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

There’s the ledger we didn’t look at in Chapter 1. But there are plenty of other ways of finding out who’s in rooms that we could still access, beyond trial and error.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

Is there meant to be anything to give us a clue as to which rooms are important or is it really just trial and error/remember it on your second playthrough?
If it affects your vote, my vote was purely out of thin air.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

CottonWolf posted:

There’s the ledger we didn’t look at in Chapter 1. But there are plenty of other ways of finding out who’s in rooms that we could still access, beyond trial and error.

That's pretty cool then. I'm pretty tempted to buy this one myself and play along with the thread

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

What's behind door... number... 4?!

Evetree posted:

You walk up to the door to room 4. It is the room adjacent to your own, although the door is located around the corner from yours, opposite the top of the stairs.

Listen at the door.

Evetree posted:

You strain your ears against the wood and hear the sound of someone definitely moving around on the other side. From the creaking of the floorboards you estimate that they must be quite large.

Perception %+2

1. Knock on the door.
2. Break into the room.
3. I'd rather explore somewhere else.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 28, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Knock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CountryMatters posted:

That's pretty cool then. I'm pretty tempted to buy this one myself and play along with the thread

If you're going to play Evertree, I suggest playing Sordwin after you finish. Not only does is improve on basically every aspect of Evertree (though I still think Evertree's great, or I wouldn't be LPing it), it's frankly insane how much carries over. There are entire chapters worth of content that swap out in Sordwin based on your choices in Evertree.