Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Our eyes should be black.

Also, wtf at the fact we "always end up in situations" involving dead bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Whoa, careful there, buddy!

No need to be a giant rear end in a top hat this early. Let’s at least wait till we know something about this world.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We are an elf carrying around a wizard staff. We’re clearly gifted in magic.

That also means we “have a reputation for being flamboyant” which hell yes we do!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Ask the following questions:
5. Pony - this seems like an important question to ask and also a pretty obvious thing to ask an inn owner
1. How long open - this is the kind of chit-chat and also might give us an opportunity to butter her up by saying how awesome it is that she started her own inn only three years ago / has kept this place running for decades / whatever
4. Other guests - she might tell us about said other guests and help us make friends or find someone else heading our way or whatever

I am intentionally not voting for the other two. Asking about bag help seems pointless (it's a small inn in the middle of nowhere, asking is going to make us seem like a dumbass city dweller) and calling her rooms cheap seems like it might be offensive.

For order, I think it makes sense to go by percentage of votes. The question that everybody wants to ask goes first, then the next highest percentage next, etc, all the way down to "just cleared the 50% bar". Explaining the mechanically optimal strategy afterwards would be interesting, but sometimes making mistakes is part of the deal with CYOA.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Who are the other guests? - Gotta get that background intel.

Ask all the follow-ups we can about the Inn's history; she seems to love talking about it. If we're only allowed to ask one, then ask about the name.

I'm sorry to hear that times are rough. Pretty obvious answer here.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We were just curious about other guests. We have basically zero sneaky/thieving abilities, so we'd probably fail at trying to sneak a peek of the ledger. As for the bribe, it's not clear if she'd accept it and in any case we've already spent a lot of our money so it's probably not a wise use of funds. We'll presumably meet the other guests soon enough anyways, then we can ask about her opinions of them after that if needed.

I'm sorry about your husband's death. Makes us sound sympathetic while still keeping that conversation thread active (unlike Option 4). I do think prying further into his death would be good, but asking about it straight isn't likely to get us anywhere.

Use some magic to read her mind. The thread built this character to pump magic, be pretty dumb to pass up the opportunity to use our skills.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We're dressed smart because first impressions matter.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Let's check out rooms, starting from 6 and going in reverse numerical order to 2. Either to chat with others or to search unoccupied rooms for more information. This intentionally leaves #2 for last, because I suspect that'll be pointless anyways, so better to put that off for last rather than wasting our entire free hour on a fruitless argument.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

OOrochi posted:

Check the closet
Agreed, closet. If the person is still here (rather than Rapunzel-ling out the window), that's the most likely hiding spot.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1. All the money

We already broke into his room, broke into his closet, and are taking money from his purse. At this point, he's going to be loving pissed at us if he realizes it was us, regardless of whether we take 1/3/5 GP; might as well make the most money off it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Slaan posted:

What's in Room 4
:agreed: on Room 4. The first even-numbered room worked well, why not try it again?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

Is there meant to be anything to give us a clue as to which rooms are important or is it really just trial and error/remember it on your second playthrough?
If it affects your vote, my vote was purely out of thin air.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Knock on the door. This room is very clearly occupied and (unlike the dwarf) we don't know anything about the occupant, so let's be polite.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Explore somewhere else; there's gotta be more productive ways of using our limited time than trying to talk to someone who clearly has no interest in discussing stuff.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Let's do number 3 because we've successfully gotten into rooms 1 and 2 (ours, dwarf's), therefore, the sum of those rooms must also be a room we can successfully enter.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Tapestry first.
I'm cool with this.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Magic this.

Normally, I wouldn’t want to blow out one-shot spell this early, but it’s hard to imagine we’ll find a more suitable scenario than this.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Keep the cufflink - no real reason to get rid of it, plus it could potentially have value in future interrogations.

Room 5 - I'd still kind of like to meet one of our fellow residents before dinner; just randomly picked #5.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2. Nice to meet you.

Doesn't seem too offended, so need to apologize or explain.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2, let's not be overeager here.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

4 - Deflect, she probably would love to talk about herself anyways.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2 - Sneak a glance

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Clearly, she's into the flirting, so roll with it - 3.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

I feel like room 6 must be important if we've been directed to it. Wasn't the guy that died also a VIP of some sort, like a government thing? Could be related
This is good logic. 6 it is.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'm guessing the correct move was to say we met Daisy and used that as our in...but I think at this point, we've kind of missed that boat, so let's cut our losses and 2, leave her alone rather than trying to push and irritating her further.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Let's check outside. The dining hall we'll see soon enough anyways, but presumably it'll get dark at some point so it'd be good to hit up that now in case there's something important out there.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Outside!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1 is probably the best since this dude probably doesn't know anything about us so identifying both our name and the room is probably good.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

OOrochi posted:

2 We like our pony, thus we should be nice to other people who like our pony.
Seems reasonable.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

3, our pony is important and everybody should know that.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Black Robe posted:

1 - lying is often useful and/or necessary but I don't think it's either at this stage.
Agreed on 1. IIRC, our backstory is a pretty bland "just traveling to a new city looking for work" not like "hired mafia hitman" or something, so I don't really see a point in lying here.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

2, give the man a hug, we're having a moment
Seems reasonable.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1. Our pony is our best friend; might actually be our only friend tbh.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

we know that this place gets VIPs and at least one of them has died, so I'd go for 2 and see if there's a pattern of that sort of thing here
Good call, 2.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

4 and then read his mind.
This.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

4, I think we're done here.

The inn's history is probably pointless given that he's just a young hired hand, we already asked about guests, and he already likes us so bribery doesn't seem like it'll do much. We're probably still on a timelimit before dinner, so we can probably find something more productive to do with our last few minutes.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2. Respect half-orcs for being straightforward.

Also, anybody want to take odds on whether we get our rear end kicked in this interaction? That 25/100 Combat stat isn't exactly giving me a lot of confidence that Glangwen can handle a pissed off 6'6" half-orc.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

He ignored our knocks the first time, now slams the door in our face. We also don’t have any specific reason to want to talk to him, just a vague “hey, sup”. Might as well take the drat hint.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

2. Let's explore reception since this might be our only chance to get a good look on our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1. Check for keys.

All because we *can* magically bust in anywhere via magic doesn't mean we should burn all our mana on doing so. Besides, maybe we find keys to other parts of the Inn.