Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
not my parents but once convinced my friend to rent this on a weekend sleepover cause i thought it was a different game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJMB2Gv4rY

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i always got to choose op, sometimes the lovely games were from my own poor choices at a child but i would never throw my parents under the metaphorical bus like that

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the only game my parents ever rented for me that i had no input on was when i got back from a lovely scouting trip and theyd rented me legend of dragoon because it looked like the sort of thing they thought i liked, so they're 1 for 1. any other time it was on me how good or bad the game was

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

i remember renting this because street fighter 2 was all rented out

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My worst one was probably Mario is Missing. Usually they let me pick. My dad was epic and once rented a whole N64 and Mario 64 before any one in my trailer park knew those existed.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Iggy's Reckin Balls

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

trying to jack off posted:

i always got to choose op, sometimes the lovely games were from my own poor choices at a child but i would never throw my parents under the metaphorical bus like that

Same. I rented lots of horrible games because I was a dumbass kid

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think the worst game was vectorman but my mom had good taste in games so i always was lucky in that regard

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
we used to buy used games from the video store next to my karate studio and my mom bought me Shaq fu as a gift when I got my blue belt w/one brown stripe

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

same. i have nobody but myself to blame for renting bart’s nightmare on two separate occasions

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Nostradingus posted:

Iggy's Reckin Balls

gently caress you. that game is sick.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I really wanted to play Clayfighter when it came out and my mom said she rented me the "clay game" while I was at school but it was this platformer called Claymates and I cried when I found out. Of course Clayfighter loving sucks so the joke was on me anyway.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
me and my dad were at the blockbuster one time and i saw superman 64 and i told him i wanted to rent it because i read that it was like the worst game of all time in EGM and wanted to see it for myself but he said no and seemed very confused as to why i wanted to purposely play a bad game

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Spoderman posted:

same. i have nobody but myself to blame for renting bart’s nightmare on two separate occasions

I played the poo poo out of that game anyway since my best friend in elementary school owned it and we were obsessed with getting an A on Bart's paper. I think the highest we ever got was a B which is still considered a win by the game's standards, but we never figured out how to beat most of the minigames. I still to this day don't know how to beat the Indiana Jones one.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spoderman posted:

I rented Virtual Bart like 3 times

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This. MY mum wouldnt know the first thing about Gaming, and would defer to my wisdom, even from a young age.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Although, the only game she ever bought me, sight unseen, was my first game Sonic the Hedgehog 2, which pissed me off because I wanted Sonic and Knuckles. At least I didnt turn into a furry, which is probably an overall win. *shrugs*

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*shrugs, my bushy tail waving idly behind me*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i never really got to do the game rentals thing. it just wasn't feasible cuz the only rental store that had them was like an hour away lol. they'd buy me OPM and i'd treasure the demo disks, though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TFW when your just down the block but due to your size, lmfao, it takes a really long time to rent video games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

TFW when your just down the block but due to your size, lmfao, it takes a really long time to rent video games.

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I always picked my rentals, but I did receive South Park Rally on every conceivable platform, some of which I didn't even own, from various family members over the years. South Park Rally N64, South Park Rally PSX, South Park Rally PC, South Park Rally PSX again, another South Park Rally N64, South Park Rally SDC.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

my least favorite rental was actraiser 2 since that game is poo poo from a donkey's rear end whilst the original was epic

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I rented Virtual Bart like 3 times

same lol

I finally beat it with an emulator later

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

renting turds from ljn/acclaim/thq/accolade/ocean/tidus etc. was a good learning experience because it taught me that non japanese people can't make videogames and hell its still true today. expcet japanese games are also bad now so no one makes good videogames

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I always picked my rentals, but I did receive South Park Rally on every conceivable platform, some of which I didn't even own, from various family members over the years. South Park Rally N64, South Park Rally PSX, South Park Rally PC, South Park Rally PSX again, another South Park Rally N64, South Park Rally SDC.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

my least favorite rental was actraiser 2 since that game is poo poo from a donkey's rear end whilst the original was epic

original actraiser feels like it slots right in with soul blazer and their other games, actraiser 2 is like a game that exists for the 12 seconds of it kids would get to play on nickoleon arcade

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Same. I rented lots of horrible games because I was a dumbass kid

I thought the cover for the SNES game based on the Sylvester Stallone movie "Cliffhanger" was the coolest thing I'd ever seen and finally got to rent it after hyping myself up for like a month and it was just a really lovely tie in beat em up. I didn't even know it was a movie game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol, proud reciever of south park rally pc here

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Not a rental but for Christmas one year they preordered Yoshi Story.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Lmao

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I always got to pick rentals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

This was going to be my second post but i figured I’d wait to see if the thread died or not.

In the early rental days, I’d stay home playing with my friends while my mom and sometimes dad would go grocery shopping. They would rent the worst poo poo so eventually I started going grocery shopping with them and hanging out in the rental place till they were done. I probably have as many “misses” as they did but at least my decisions were “informed”