Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i got to choose my games and i always chose epic ones. plus i spent 90% of my renting-games-era gaming time on mario 64 / oot / paper mario which i owned, until gamecube came out and melee joined that list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
mom and older sister were gamers, taught me young

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I always picked my rentals, but I did receive South Park Rally on every conceivable platform, some of which I didn't even own, from various family members over the years. South Park Rally N64, South Park Rally PSX, South Park Rally PC, South Park Rally PSX again, another South Park Rally N64, South Park Rally SDC.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

renting the same game a couple weeks later, heart beating during the logos. did my save make it...?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Sex Tragedy posted:

mom and older sister were gamers, taught me young

my older brother would sometimes see seven year old me pick up a bad game with enticing box art at blockbuster like claymates, rise of the robots, or tuff e nuff and remove it from my hands and put it back on the shelf in the same loving but firm way you remove garbage on the sidewalk from a dog's mouth

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

In Training posted:

renting the same game a couple weeks later, heart beating during the logos. did my save make it...?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Spoderman posted:

my older brother would sometimes see seven year old me pick up a bad game with enticing box art at blockbuster like claymates, rise of the robots, or tuff e nuff and remove it from my hands and put it back on the shelf in the same loving but firm way you remove garbage on the sidewalk from a dog's mouth

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

This is why I kept FF3 for over a month and racked up a ton of late fees which my parents were not happy about

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spoderman posted:

Lol

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Spoderman posted:

lol

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i picked my own games, but my stepdad rented me earthworm jim 2 on snes once when i was having a bad day. he remembered i’d choose that game a lot

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Relevant

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1349003985697566720

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

In Training posted:

I'll save in slot C. No one would overwrite a save in slot C.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Spoderman posted:

lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Spoderman posted:

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Spoderman posted:

lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
All of them are closing. I might swing by to see if I could snag some cheap Switch games but I bet they're all still overpriced.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Training posted:

I was the only person renting Lufia: The Fortress of Doom at my local Blockbuster so I could rent it months later and my save would still be there.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

My older brother and I would rent our own games. When my brother got a part time job, I'd call him up at work and brag about the games I just rented while he had to make sandwiches at Subway.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

I was the only person renting Lufia: The Fortress of Doom at my local Blockbuster so I could rent it months later and my save would still be there.

ditto me and lufia 2, until one day i opened it up and some dude had deleted my save and then didnt get past the catfish boss

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

otoh when i rented ogre battle 64 years later i didnt understand chaos frame at all and i was stuck on the bad ending and some dude saved over my game right before the final battle of the good ending. blockbuster giveth and blockbuster taketh away

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm gonna scroll through some SNES box art later to see if I can jog my memory about any bad games we rented, I generally have positive memories of it. One thing I do remember is that we for some reason rented Goldeneye like 20 times before eventually buying it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

That reminds me that I used to rent Lufia II as well but someone went into the Blockbuster with a tool that could open those plastic frames they use to keep the boxes sealed and stole a shitload of movies/games, and Lufia II was one of them. They never got another copy. That's why I could only rent the first Lufia game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i guess thread related, my buddy in high school rented wave race for the gamecube and stored his copy of melee in the box, then his mom returned the game without checking. blockbuster ws super lovely about it too, they demanded wave race back and my buddy was just out a game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

at some point, we forgot to bring Darius Twin back to Blockbuster for a really long time and Blockbuster wanted more money than it would have cost to actually buy the game in late fees so my dad refused to go back to blockbuster. we had to wait until we could get our own cards to rent games after that.

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
I rented super pitfall nes and couldnt figure it out so I just assumed it was because I was a dumb kid. Then I would rent it again a month later because surely i’m old enough now to figure it out?? Then do it again the next month.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

On the opposite side of the coin my mom rented Cool Spot and that game whipped rear end.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Fungah! posted:

i guess thread related, my buddy in high school rented wave race for the gamecube and stored his copy of melee in the box, then his mom returned the game without checking. blockbuster ws super lovely about it too, they demanded wave race back and my buddy was just out a game
the same thing happened to us where for some reason super mario world got returned instead of the insanely lovely licensed game 'family dog' and for many years my brother accused me of intentionally trying to keep family dog to ourselves and slip one past blockbuster in the incident that lost us super mario world.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i went to blockbuster every other weekend and the one copy of Quest 64 was alwayas checked out and i was always sad bc i thought it looked loving amazing. i still have never played it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Spoderman posted:

the same thing happened to us where for some reason super mario world got returned instead of the insanely lovely licensed game 'family dog' and for many years my brother accused me of intentionally trying to keep family dog to ourselves and slip one past blockbuster in the incident that lost us super mario world.

lol of all games

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

In Training posted:

i went to blockbuster every other weekend and the one copy of Quest 64 was alwayas checked out and i was always sad bc i thought it looked loving amazing. i still have never played it

Dodged a bullet there lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

don't

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Spoderman posted:

lol

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

loading saved games from previous renters was the best.

one time I rented Earthbound, and there was a save that was at about the same point I had been at in my last rental, so I continue from there, and find out later they gave Poo a racist name.

i get to the end, and the party prays to ask for help from this dumbass kid in my gym class, and I’m like oh lol i guess now I know that guy really doesn’t like asian people

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quarterroys posted:

one time I rented Earthbound, and there was a save that was at about the same point I had been at in my last rental, so I continue from there, and find out later they gave Poo a racist name.

i get to the end, and the party prays to ask for help from this dumbass kid in my gym class, and I’m like oh lol i guess now I know that guy really doesn’t like asian people

lol

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Quarterroys posted:

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Quarterroys posted:

lmao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Quarterroys posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Quarterroys posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

finding out who has a crush on whom by loading up their FF6 saves and seeing what they named Locke and Celes