Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rent a lot of amiga games, roach coach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roach coach
Feb 24, 2013

Fungah! posted:

rent a lot of amiga games, roach coach?

borrowed and x-copied to oblivion as a kid

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

roach coach posted:

borrowed and x-copied to oblivion as a kid

didnt read the thread and a thief. mods?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think this video is faked, there isn't a lovely HUD covering 40% of the bottom screen and there actually seems to be some semblance of level design. no european could have made this

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i rented quest 64 multiple times as a kid. i didnt like it and knew i didn't like it but sometimes there wouldn't be anything that i did like or looked interesting so i just rented and played quest 64 all weekend instead of saving my allowance

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I might have told this story before but at the rental place in my hometown they had the game cases out on the wall with a little tag attached you would bring up to the counter. When Sonic 3 came out I was dying to play it but the tag was always gone. One weekend I went with my family and I decided to look inside the case and lo and behold the tag was inside. Some kid came over and started talking to me and I could immediately tell that he had hidden the tag in there. He started telling me that I shouldn’t rent it, he heard that when Sonic got hit by an enemy he would start bleeding and leave a trail of blood behind him for the rest of the game. That just made me want to rent the game even more of course. I wonder what that kid is up to now

Bicyclops posted:

this reminds me of the time in the eighth grade when my girlfriend broke up with me and they didn't even need to rename the characters in a video game to recreate it. she has the same name as a tekken character and so do i. a bunch of us were together and one our mutual friends fired up tekken and said "oh look, this character has the same name as your ex, and look! here's you!" and she had me play the guy with my name and she played the character with my ex's name. it was the first time i had ever played tekken and she kicked my rear end, just brutally kicked my guy in the balls over and over again, and she was like "oh look, it's just like what happened to you last friday!" and i was trying so hard not to cry that i had to leave. i've still never played any version of tekken again to this day.

lmfao

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Bicyclops posted:

this reminds me of the time in the eighth grade when my girlfriend broke up with me and they didn't even need to rename the characters in a video game to recreate it. she has the same name as a tekken character and so do i. a bunch of us were together and one our mutual friends fired up tekken and said "oh look, this character has the same name as your ex, and look! here's you!" and she had me play the guy with my name and she played the character with my ex's name. it was the first time i had ever played tekken and she kicked my rear end, just brutally kicked my guy in the balls over and over again, and she was like "oh look, it's just like what happened to you last friday!" and i was trying so hard not to cry that i had to leave. i've still never played any version of tekken again to this day.

lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

was it the one where you're looking for an exit dodging sylvesters?

i... think so? it's been so long, i'm not sure if it was crazy castle or birthday blowout. maybe both got rented at some point

okay so i went looking on youtube and ran into the tiny toons game, which i know got rented at least once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqnjXaRIq9Y

and... did they license the SMB3 engine for that?? i get real heavy SMB3 vibes off that footage

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

and... did they license the SMB3 engine for that?? i get real heavy SMB3 vibes off that footage
nah, konami's coders and addon chip designers were just really really good at making the nes sing by the end of its lifespan because they knew if they weren't they'd get demoted to arcade janitor duty

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Bicyclops posted:

Yoshimitsu aka. Biclops reminiscing about his high school sweetheart Nina.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i... think so? it's been so long, i'm not sure if it was crazy castle or birthday blowout. maybe both got rented at some point

okay so i went looking on youtube and ran into the tiny toons game, which i know got rented at least once

i loving loved the disney version of this game. it was basically super mario brothers but you swapped between bugs and donald and uh.. cant remember the other one. they all had different attacks with different patterns and stuff, and their own HP bars so you basically got 3 tries per level. it was based.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

this did indeed get rented

you can play as furball the cat and dizzy rascal and furball can climb walls, and there's a boss fight where you're just supposed to avoid them for x amount of time and furball can cheese it by just staying on the wall
and dizzy's spin attack could kill the buff bull terrier that talks like arnold schwarzenegger

idk what buster could do. nothing? the main guy is always the shittiest
(this all might be in the video, I did not watch it)

you kind of had to play everything by ear because instead of instruction manuals blockbuster just had their janitors try to explain the game in one run-on sentence on the back of the cover slip. I forget who I stole this joke from. probably seanbaby

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
haha I said dizzy rascal

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

This thread is surfacing gamemories long buried

Quest 64... I now realize that the problem 10 year old me had wasn’t that I wasn’t good enough for the game, the game wasn’t good enough for me. Wow

And i sank so many hours into Ristar on game gear lol. Owned that game so I guess it’s off topic, more for the janky games you love thread because tbh ristar was awesome

At some point soon I’ll just need to go through an entire list of n64 releases, my parents were heroes for how many games I rented and I’ve brought them shame by mostly repressing those memories due to gameshame or forgetting them due to smoking hella weed once I turned 14

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

roach coach posted:

the first one was garbage but James Pond 2: Robocod ...... was loving amazing

european spotted. die!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

i rented quest 64 multiple times as a kid. i didnt like it and knew i didn't like it but sometimes there wouldn't be anything that i did like or looked interesting so i just rented and played quest 64 all weekend instead of saving my allowance

Same lol, though in the UK it was called Holy Magic Century for some insane reason and my dad forbid me from ever renting it again because it had one combat theme and he had been hearing it in his dreams

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cubone posted:

haha I said dizzy rascal

that's bonkers

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

european spotted. die!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Same lol, though in the UK it was called Holy Magic Century for some insane reason and my dad forbid me from ever renting it again because it had one combat theme and he had been hearing it in his dreams

despite renting it so many times the battle music is the only thing about it i remember with any sort of clarity

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

At some point soon I’ll just need to go through an entire list of n64 releases, my parents were heroes for how many games I rented and I’ve brought them shame by mostly repressing those memories due to gameshame or forgetting them due to smoking hella weed once I turned 14

Ok i started doing this. A couple games i remember hating but still renting multiple times for some reason

Army men: sarge’s heroes

Buck bumble. gently caress that bee

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it doesn't really fit in this thread but it kinda does as a gaming selection fail – but on my part. i distinctly remember being a young child and getting to pick one SNES game at the store. i was stuck between a really cool looking space game with a sick dragon on the cover, or this spiderman xman game. i picked the latter. the former was Super Metroid.

years later, i could pick one Final Fantasy game for the PC. at the time, i had only played FF6. i picked FF8, since it had 'much nicer graphics'. the other one looked kinda stupid and childish. of course, it was Final Fantasy VII.

i can't stop thinking of what could have been. instead i focus on the wins, like randomly picking up Morrowind after seeing it in the store and knowing nothing about it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bolverkur posted:

randomly picking up Morrowind after seeing it in the store and knowing nothing about it.
Same :cheers:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Only slightly related but I remember my mom buying Super Mario RPG at Target and then getting really mad that it wasn't a traditional Mario platformer. She wanted to return it but I said I'd play it and it became my favorite game ever

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I rented Lufia and the Fortress of Doom almost every weekend and got halfway through, every time. I've got major feels for Lufia but playing it now, the first one is terrible, almost unplayable due to encounter rate.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I got the SNES one rented for me a lot

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

you can tell Mickey mouse is more powerful than bugs bunny because looney tunes got sunsoft and disney got Capcom.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

you can tell Mickey mouse is more powerful than bugs bunny because looney tunes got sunsoft and disney got Capcom.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

game so bad it was pulled from shelves and destroyed

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

if it was really terrible enough for them to try and erase its existence, they'd create a log flume ride based on it

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The log flume ride and Frontier Land made me want to cut my family's Florida vacation short so I could go home and play Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Cheese Thief posted:

I rented Lufia and the Fortress of Doom almost every weekend and got halfway through, every time. I've got major feels for Lufia but playing it now, the first one is terrible, almost unplayable due to encounter rate.

I did this also except my save was always intact cause I guess I was the only kid in my area renting it. And yeah, the first one is just a bad DQ clone with weird poo poo like party members trying to attack enemies that are already dead.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lufia 2 is great but I tried the first one for the first time a few months ago and it’s not great. Massive improvement for the sequel

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

It was bad but the reason it was pulled from shelves is because walt disney didn't want Fantasia licensed but they somehow let sega develop and release a whole game before someone that knew that found out

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I only ever.beat the first lufia, lol. Maybe I should try the second one at some point

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

It was bad but the reason it was pulled from shelves is because walt disney didn't want Fantasia licensed but they somehow let sega develop and release a whole game before someone that knew that found out

i lied to hype it up

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

I only ever.beat the first lufia, lol. Maybe I should try the second one at some point

I played Lufia II before Lufia I and didn't know II was a prequel so I was very confused with the opening sequence of the first game and thought something was broken.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

It’s really good. If you’ve ever played Wild Arms it has a similar thing with tools you can use out of battle to solve puzzles

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

it's been 24 years and tonight i was finally able to let this go when someone was demolished more thoroughly. thank you, john romero. i'm finally free.