Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i call them virgin interactwin since their amiga dev skills powered many gr8 sega of america games

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

remembering now that i convinced my mom to let me rent this piece of poo poo that i thought was x-men

the main villain is called Evil Fred

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

remembering now that i convinced my mom to let me rent this piece of poo poo that i thought was x-men

lmao, cool

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lmao cool

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lmao

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Lol, looks like what you’d get if Liefeld figured out how to draw hands and feet

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

there was a The Beauty and the Beast game for the Genesis too where you couldn't do anything because you're Belle and you just blow hearts at everything

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

this reminds me of the time in the eighth grade when my girlfriend broke up with me and they didn't even need to rename the characters in a video game to recreate it. she has the same name as a tekken character and so do i. a bunch of us were together and one our mutual friends fired up tekken and said "oh look, this character has the same name as your ex, and look! here's you!" and she had me play the guy with my name and she played the character with my ex's name. it was the first time i had ever played tekken and she kicked my rear end, just brutally kicked my guy in the balls over and over again, and she was like "oh look, it's just like what happened to you last friday!" and i was trying so hard not to cry that i had to leave. i've still never played any version of tekken again to this day.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lol

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

lol

MAP20 Gotcha!
Feb 11, 2022

You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar But I Feel Like One Million Robux

Every time I went to Hollywood Video and I couldn't pick a game, whoever I was with, without fail, *really* wanted to leave kept trying to push me towards this specifically. I think they kept telling me it was "like pokemon" but even as a kid that wasn't my thing. Seeing this is usually when I'd go to the other side where the Xbox games were and look at the Shrek box before leaving with nothing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

this reminds me of the time in the eighth grade when my girlfriend broke up with me and they didn't even need to rename the characters in a video game to recreate it. she has the same name as a tekken character and so do i. a bunch of us were together and one our mutual friends fired up tekken and said "oh look, this character has the same name as your ex, and look! here's you!" and she had me play the guy with my name and she played the character with my ex's name. it was the first time i had ever played tekken and she kicked my rear end, just brutally kicked my guy in the balls over and over again, and she was like "oh look, it's just like what happened to you last friday!" and i was trying so hard not to cry that i had to leave. i've still never played any version of tekken again to this day.

lmfao

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

MAP20 Gotcha! posted:

Every time I went to Hollywood Video and I couldn't pick a game, whoever I was with, without fail, *really* wanted to leave kept trying to push me towards this specifically. I think they kept telling me it was "like pokemon" but even as a kid that wasn't my thing. Seeing this is usually when I'd go to the other side where the Xbox games were and look at the Shrek box before leaving with nothing.

gently caress you this game was sick

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

Lold at this again today.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

My dad's a gamer and my mom never even attempted to rent or buy something on her own so I never got any bad games, but my dad would occasionally get me a game that was just too complicated for the age I was lol

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

goferchan posted:

I thought the cover for the SNES game based on the Sylvester Stallone movie "Cliffhanger" was the coolest thing I'd ever seen and finally got to rent it after hyping myself up for like a month and it was just a really lovely tie in beat em up. I didn't even know it was a movie game

Huh

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

hoiype

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Lold at this again today.

Finding out Bicyclops real name is Kazuya ftw

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

lol that it's not even a dynamic shot of him leaping between cliffs or fighting john lithgow

spending countless nights turning over in bed. too excited to sleep, can't shake the thrilling image of Sylvester Stallone talking to production assistants between takes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cubone posted:

you kind of had to play everything by ear because instead of instruction manuals blockbuster just had their janitors try to explain the game in one run-on sentence on the back of the cover slip. I forget who I stole this joke from. probably seanbaby

We had a front page article on bad video store manuals back in the day https://www.somethingawful.com/news/videogame-rental-instructions/1/

I wasted a lot of parental time going from video store to video store trying to find Jackal for NES, I had played it at a cousins house and liked it.

Did anyone ever come across those odd cartridges at a non-chain video store that let you pick from a menu of games and there were switches you had to flip on the pack for some games to work? I think one of them had Tecmo Bowl as an option, wonder where the store owner found that less than licensed Nintendo product.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did anyone ever come across those odd cartridges at a non-chain video store that let you pick from a menu of games and there were switches you had to flip on the pack for some games to work? I think one of them had Tecmo Bowl as an option, wonder where the store owner found that less than licensed Nintendo product.

The only joint that rented games in my town in the late 80-early 90s wasn't a chain operation, and they had some non-licensed games (Tengen Tetris and Master Chu & the Drunkard Hu most notably) but never the 100-in-1 carts, I've still never encountered one of those outside of rom dumps

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tato posted:

lol that it's not even a dynamic shot of him leaping between cliffs or fighting john lithgow

spending countless nights turning over in bed. too excited to sleep, can't shake the thrilling image of Sylvester Stallone talking to production assistants between takes
film licenses often got very specific and weird about what game developers could or couldn't use

i remember one of the terminator games let them only use exactly one promo photo of arnie and required the devs to make you play kyle reese instead of sarah connor or the terminator

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lmao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

STONE COLD 64 posted:

this game is actually good, I played it a lot on the sega channel

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
actually nevermind, I might be thinking of mutant chronicles

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That Little Demon posted:

actually nevermind, I might be thinking of mutant chronicles

Lol

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I loved quest 64 and was so excited to finish the school year because my parents said I could get it if I had a good report card. The local sellers even had it bundled with a lovely third party controller pack and I constantly told them what a good deal the whole thing was. Beat it with a friend at a sleepover, and he ended up liking it enough to buy it also.

Also had the blast corps rental issue where I couldn’t start a new game. I was so bummed cause I had watched it on video and arcade top 10 on ytv and it looked fuckin awesome.

My dad knew this guy at work who played games so he would ask about what was coming out to see if I would like anything. He would get me a list and then I would get him to ask the people at the video store every week if a certain game was coming out. I’m pretty sure I got him to ask about rogue squadron every week for half a year.

this same person gave my dad a copy of parasite eve that may have been stolen or something cause it was in those video store style cases and I pretended I wasn’t interested in the game specifically because I saw that tampons were an item and that made me uncomfortable at the time lol.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

Beat it with a friend at a sleepover, and he ended up liking it

Oh yeah, and we played Quest 64 too :D

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

:hehe:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

rack em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

lol