Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent posted:

I'm glad to report that the Batman Beyond opening still totally whips.

Is it on HBOMax yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

Jack Kirby killed four nazis? :patriot: That's a better day's work than I've ever put in.

He hated Nazis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, it and B:TAS are now on HBO Max.

Awesome, I knew about B:TAS but last I checked Superman and JL/JLU weren't on there yet, so I didn't know about Beyond.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, it doesn't say it was the same four nazis in every story.

He killed at least four.

Yeah, they're all different stories that just happen to all end with 4 dead Nazis.

Can you imagine being his wife and asking "so honey, how was your day?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Roz was the inspiration for Big Barda, so I imagine her response was "Oh, only 4 this time? You'll do better nice time, hon"

It's so weird Kirby wrote a book about a loving married couple based on his wife and Jim Steranko.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Did Kirby ever tell any of his Nazi killing stories in interviews or is it all just him telling friends and colleagues over cigars and whisky sort of thing? I’d love to hear them but I’m sure if he wanted them told in public he would’ve.

The quote I posted was from the guy who created Usagi Yojimbo, which Fantagraphics was publishing in the late 80s so this was happening toward the end of Kirby's life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Oh, I know who Stan Sakai is, that’s what I meant by friends/colleagues. I was just wondering if there’s anything that isn’t second hand. I also realize most vets will be reluctant to talk about that poo poo with anyone not a peer or whatever. I’m assuming if he was comfortable with anything specific being on the record it would’ve been released by now. Maybe Mark Evanier has tapes or something (it’s been a looooong time since I read his Kirby book but I think he eluded to some things).

I just meant Stan Sakai was hearing these stories when Kirby had age related mental problems.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So DC Universe rebrands later this week and one of the big differences is that they're adding more imprints like Vertigo, Black Label and Milestone.

Oh poo poo, if they add the big Vertigo books that would be amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just wanted to say I’m mad at Vulpes for not telling us something he couldn’t tell us until it was announced today: He’s going to be writing the new Magic The Gathering book for Boom.

Cool, is that his first non-Marvel work?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/thedeluxedition/status/1352442337289510913?s=20

Why on earth is the cover from a completely different run decades later with completely different writer and artist than what's in the book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In which some one tries to mansplain Deadpool to Gail Simone.

https://twitter.com/bucky_butler91/status/1353140916597514242?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

the guy from Semisonic posted:

I don't know. That doesn't really come off as mansplaining to me. Just sounds like he's stating a fact.

It's also, why the gently caress would you tell Gail Simone that Deadpool only got popular with later writers, she's one of those later writers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Are gruesome murders and decapitations still cool?

I mean, they just ousted Geoff Johns, so that's probably a maybe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

When's the third issue of Tom Taylor's Hellblazer mini coming out? I got excited because I saw a new cover in my comic shop last week, but it was just a variant for issue 2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'll admit I'm less susceptible than most, but given people here loved Jason Aaron's Thor, I'd say yes. And don't dare tell me that this is that much more edgelord or 'airbrushed on van' than "Gorr The God Butcher".

Ehh, Thor wasn't waving around Superman's spine

All Black the Necrosword wasn't a dead superhero. Gorr butchered gods that weren't beloved characters that have existed for decades.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

When people haven't read the first couple arcs of a series.

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1353477503621287936?s=20

(obviously not talking about Busiek here)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

There are, of course, far better reasons to say this, but gently caress Warren Ellis.

Thunderbolts was turned into a government black-ops team before Warren Ellis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That sounds incredibly stupid.

And still doesn't explain why she's using his spine as a weapon

I haven't read the book, but I'm guessing because it's still nearly invulnerable so works better than most thing in terms of smashing them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Like pre-COVID cons could be disgusting pits of germs and disease, as could cruise ships. So this seems brilliant.

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1354549027996577794?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Re reading Ultimate Spiderman from the beginning and I remember thinking how awesome Bagley draws Spiderman but I never realised how he draws the same face for almost every character, especially the female characters in the book. One of the reasons this is standing out for me is because they all kind of have the same face as my friend's wife.

Maybe Bagley dated her in high school.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

They've backported a bunch of their mature readers stuff into Black Label.

I know new Sandman poo poo is Black label, has the old stuff been rebranded too? Preacher?

Anything written by Gaiman is pretty good, aside from one lovely arc he loving lucked out in terms of artists.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four is probably my favorite comics from that era.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly who cares if it's canon? A good story is a good story regardless of whether it "counts."

Ehh, sometimes it complicates things. I liked Hellblazer Rise and Fall and the end of the first issue is just a panel of the devil in John's living room. He looks different than the way he's portrayed in the Ennis run, but he's Satan, so that doesn't mean much. Then I have to wait 2 months to figure out if this is in the same continuity as the Ennis runs, because there wasn't enough context clues. and it changes the entire tone of that final page.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Canon only matters in the sense that it's good to know what parts of the history of the character inform the current incarnation. Imagine coming back to DC during New 52 and seeing Superman and Wonder Woman in a relationship and Lois was never in the picture at all. Now imagine someone that only came into DC during that period and only knew that coming back to DC this year and Superman/Wonder Woman was never a thing and now Superman has always been married to Lois and has a teenage son. Super loving confusing either way.

Yeah, I think it can be important when dealing with character's histories with each other. I remember reading King's Batman and trying to figure out if Knightfall had happened in the current continuity. I remember someone recently being confused with how Max Lord was being written in Wonder Woman versus how he was written in a different book at the same time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

God help me, I'm reading Countdown.

This is a cry for help...

You've made your bed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

funny thing is Amazing Fantasy is still an anthology comic in this issue so we have a couple more stories after this though they're overall kinda mediocre little things

Still? that's the last issue for decades, isn't it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

The source I was using had listed a couple more issues after that one, but turns out those were made in the 90's as some sort of weird promotional stunt

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I bought a copy of Amazing Fantasy 16, it's Peter Parker as Spider-Man in between Amazing Fantasy 15 and Amazing Spider-Man 1.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Is there somewhere looking at the hints that Iceman is gay? X-Plain the X-Men mentioned it coming up in an issue in the 90's pre Onslaught and I was surprised to hear that it went that far back, but I haven't really read much X-Men pre-00's.

If you wanna get really esoteric, in X-Men #1 he's the only one not excited about there finally being a girl in their previously all boys school.

Of course it's also a school that previously had only 4 students.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

I believe that's more a product of either the simplistic "Eww girls are gross" mindset they probably thought the target audience of the book had or a backwards "Ugh a dame? Really?" mindset prevalent in those times. Maybe a bit of both.

I think at the time it was to help indicate Bobby was the youngest of the group, so yeah "Eww, girls are gross" but it reads slightly different now.

I gotta say, when it happened I thought Bendis outed Bobby in a very bad way, but now that better writers have dealt with it it's a pretty cool bit of character development

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1360308692554567682?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There's definitely some people who still view it as bi erasure for retconning all those relationships he had with women as him forcing himself to be straight. Which is fair enough, most big two comic book characters who are bisexual still fall into the unfortunate stereotype of being hedonists who will sleep with anything because they're so horny, rather than just normal people who happen to love across the spectrum.

I think the bi erasure is a fair complaint, but there's a poo poo ton of openly bi characters in X-Men now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Male-identifying? Like, there's Shatterstar and Daken, but the latter definitely falls into the 'amoral hedonist that sleeps with anyone' territory. Most of the others that jump to mind are women.

Prodigy, Rictor, he's not open but almost certainly Logan, Shinobi Shaw, Quintin Quire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Prodigy is fair, I just associate him more with the Young Avengers now.

He's in X-Factor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

If that's where Marvel's hiding them that explains why I haven't heard.

I just posted a big list.

Most of the New Mutants are bi or LGTB+ even if they won't admit it.

X-Men has historically been the queerest big two comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, even just from the major X-Men, you've got Kate Pryde and Storm. And Rachel Summers probably counts in that list too.

I always read Storm as straight, just because I think there should be examples of powerful same sex friendships between heterosexuals without any sexual aspect.

You can just be friends with people, like Storm and Jean Grey. Or have a complicated history with someone that ends up being mutual respect and not want to gently caress them, like Storm and Callisto.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it Yukio that's usually held up as the example of Storm being bi?

I haven't read that arc in a long time, were there tender moments or just Storm being protective of someone vulnerable? Like Kate Pryde very obviously had a huge crush on Storm in the Claremont era, but Storm always acted as a custodian and teacher towards her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

No, it's really hard to not read it as sexual. And a big thing is that arc is Yukio getting Storm to open up to her true self.

Mea Culpa then, was that right before she first did the mohawk?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I guess when I think about Storm and her relationships with other women the three that come mind most readily are her and Kate Pryde, which is a mentorship thing, Jean Grey, two peers who respect each other deeply, and Callisto, which is a frenemy/respect thing, Callisto acknowledges that Storm beat her in that sewer and Storm acknowledges that no one else has ever come as close to beating her.

I do like that Callisto went through the crucible and resurrection to get her mutant powers and still has an eye patch. Did she tell the five before the crucible she wanted to still be missing an eye or is she wearing a patch over a perfectly working eye?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Once again there was the time in which the two were in a bath tub and Callisto had tentacles and they were all over storm

That's totally normal heterosexual companionship.