Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

Lord it feels awkward having gotten a copy of one of his books for Christmas this year(I had put it on my Amazon Christmas wishlist years ago before that whole mess happened and I had forgotten it was still on there, and my mom bought it as one of my presents this year)

I remember going from "why won't DC collect Green Lantern: Mosaic" to "I hope DC never collects Green Lantern: Mosaic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Get some has-been 90s one hit wonder acts to perform and that cruise would be pretty solid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Re reading Ultimate Spiderman from the beginning and I remember thinking how awesome Bagley draws Spiderman but I never realised how he draws the same face for almost every character, especially the female characters in the book. One of the reasons this is standing out for me is because they all kind of have the same face as my friend's wife.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It feels like Black Label is "anything that would have been Vertigo plus Superhero" stuff. I am curious of the vertigo reprints are also under the Black Label imprint.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

It's not you! :v:

I think part of the issue is Morrison only gave DC a loose outline of what they were planning for Final Crisis, so editorial kinda just... guessed.

My favourite/most frustrating part of this is the Flash storyline where a bunch of rogues meet, discuss a vague big evil plan, then a few issues later we hear that the big evil plan went wrong. Wanna know what that big evil plan was and how it went wrong? Read Flash. This kind of plotting was done repeatedly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would be down for a thread about good 90's comics. The 90's were when I started reading/buying my own comics instead of just re-reading my brothers old stash over and over again. The amount of comics I could get from the newstand was very limited though and not always reliable to get the latest issue (also Marvel comics were more expensive so I hardly ever got anything Marvel in the 90's unless found at the flea markets and borrowed from other friends). I am sure there are a tons of hidden gems and short run series in the 90's though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Make a 90s thread!

Speaking of 90s, Todd McFarland has announced THREE new monthly Spawn comics because absolutely no one was clamoring for more Spawn.

I remember there being at least 3 if not 4 ongoing Spawn comics in the 90's. What is old is new again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I find it a bit different than that. What If's felt like they required you to know the plot points up until the change from the original storyline (so What If Spiderman didn't teach the Beyonder how to poop would require you to know what the big event was that required Spiderman to teach the Beyonder to poop, what that lead to, and what has now changed for the What if?) where as Elseworld is "Batman is now a vampire/Green Lantern/fighting Jack the Ripper/Frankenstein". The premise always seemed to be "Character in different setting" whereas What Ifs felt like "event went differently somehow" and would require you to know the history of said event to understand why it is a big deal that it went differently.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Probably the darkest Elseworld is the Vampire Batman trilogy. Most other ones would end with things returning to the status quo or something close to it while Vampire Batman just keeps getting darker as it goes. Red Rain, the first one, mostly fits the standard as it ends with Batman becoming a vampire but he's going to be a good vampire who never drinks blood. Bloodstorm, the second one, kills off Catwoman which makes Vampire Batman drain the Joker of blood in a fit of rage. This one ends with Bruce making Alfred stake him because of the whole killing Joker thing. Crimson Mist, the final one, has Alfred unstake Batman after Gotham's criminals start running rampant. Unfortunately Vampire Batman has become full blown evil. This one ends with all of Batman's rogue's gallery dead, along with Alfred and Gordon who die trying to stop Vampire Batman. Standing in the ruins of the Batcave with the bodies of both friend and foe around him Batman steps into a ray of sunlight, killing himself.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to rebrand those books as part of the Dark Multiverse because they definitely feel like they would fit right in.

I love Red Rain but could never get into the sequels for some reason. I do love the art/writing team though. They also did another Batman elsworld called "Dark Joker, The Wild" which is a comic that still creeps me out to this day. Basically its a fantasy world where the Joker is a dark wizard looking to unleash evil and Batman is a nearly mindless monster sent to stop the Joker. It's one of those stories that I read as a kid and stuck with me forever.

Anyway, I always felt that Elseworlds are mostly void of continuity beyond knowing the origin of a character and even that isn't important. The only one that I would say is continuity heavy, even though you don't need to know it all, is Kingdom Come.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Legends of the Dark Knight elseworld annual was pretty cool. It was called Citizen Wayne and starts off with Harvey Dent and Bruce Wayne dead after a fight on a roof top. In Wayne's hand is a torn piece of clothing with a bat on it. A detective has to figure out what happened and what lead to these two men's death.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Bringing back Hal Jordan ended up being the best thing to happen to Green Lantern comics.

Bringing back Barry Allen ended up being the worst thing to happen to Flash comics.

I agree with this and I am saying that as a Kyle fan. Up until Johns brought back Hal I think Green Lantern the title was kind of floundering and borderline non existent as far as sales go, and Johns revitalized the title. Not that any was clamoring for Hal to come back but the stories that came out after were pretty top notch.
Now with Flash no one was calling for Barry to come back. I don't know how well Flash was selling but there were well received runs preceding Barry. Like just a few years before Barry coming back. It was so unneeded

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I love I Kill Giants. How's the movie? Worth watching?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

How Wonderful! posted:

Hey everyone, I have a doctorate now so please let me know if you need a prescription... for comics and fun

What can you prescribe for good upbeat comics?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm currently re-reading Green Lantern Corps from Recharge all the way through the Tomasi run (debating whether I will do the Bedard stuff when I get there) and I forgot what a great run the book was. I am getting up to Blackest Night now which I remember not really liking much but I will probably re-read it with this run like I did with Sinestro Corps War which really holds up well. I'm not reading Johns' Lantern run though even though there is some crossover with Corps mentioning events in Green Lantern but not enough to distracts. I really am digging the characters and Rayner is getting his due (as is Gardner). The book is giving me the warm feels though and I might pick up the new Green Lantern stuff now if it is just as good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Captain America and Superman would be the best picks imo. You can chart Supes from being either straight Sci-Fi to being a fighter for the working poor to being a propaganda mascot for the war to being toned down to the point of bonkersness in the 50's and 60's etc
I guess another good one would be Wonder Woman and all of her iterations throughout the decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Young Animal (Gerard Way's imprint) did a Shade, the changing girl comic a few years back. I think it's available in two trades and I kind of preferred the first to the second but also it's a title worth checking out.