Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I finished R.E.B.E.L.s in the fall and it's likely to be spring before I reach the Nu52 version...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I apparently bough the Harley Quinn/Betty & Veronica crossover at some point, and decided to take a look at it and... the letterer is doing something that makes sense but is really jarring. Most speech is in all caps as per usual, but they're going to regular upper-and-lower case to represent whispers and... it weirds me out. I think it would bug me less if it was ALL lower case. And I don't think I've ever seen this done before.

I've seen it used before, typically with the mixed case text a bit smaller. Not very common, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

In the last thread there was talk about Giffen/DeMatteis's Justice League collections and how they stopped. Wasn’t it because they decided they did not want to pay sexual predator Gerard Jones residentials? It’s also why they have removed almost all his work from its streaming services and comixology

Jones didn't start writing JLE until after the Giffen-DeMatteis run, so that's not it. They've just started collecting the comics and stopping a couple of volumes in multiple times now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

The old REBELS? The newest REBELS has a surprise arc with multiple surprise reveals. When you get to it remember this post and post your reaction.

Speaking of which, I just finished Legion of Super-Heroes and Legionnaires putting me at 2000 in my Legion read through. Unfortunately, the cut off of those two long series is also the mid-point of another Legion series, Titans/Legion: Universe Ablaze, because there can't be anything straightforward about reading Legion of Super-Heroes.

It's weird that the series end where they started: the Earth being reduced to ruin by an invasion. Reboot Legion started strong but I feel like it fell into a rut around the time of the Mordru story arc and there were a lot of things that felt like they should develop into something that didn't. Legion's always had a problem with a huge cast and the last few years of the series never slowed down and focused on anything. Even two series weren't enough to let anything have room to breathe and there always seemed to be a struggle between trying to give each book a distinctive cast and trying to tell all encompassing stories.

After twelve publishing years of reading at least two, more often three and occasionally four, Legion series simultaneously, I'm looking forward to just having one book to read. At least once Titans/Legion is complete. I'm less than 50 issues away from threeboot and considering I'm roughly six hundred comics into my Legion read through, that's nothing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Legion read-through update: another time skip and the Legion is disbanded and scattered story? I swear it's like every person who comes on board has the exact same idea as a starting point.

The villain of Legion Lost was obvious and I'm really not appreciating the "everything is bleak as gently caress" approach that Abnett and Lanning have. It's very 2000's DC: things were lighthearted so now it's time to brutally murder and/or turn into a villain any character who is happy to prove how serious and real things are.

Also, it's getting hard to make sure I'm following the stories correctly again because nothing is stable. I think I've got my current block sorted with Legion Lost to Legion Worlds to The Legion with a few specials mixed in. After that things are going to get really messy. And apparently Legion was a big part of Countdown so I might be damned to read that series...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

I've been going through as much of the older issues of Marvel comics as I can on marvel Unlimited and I've just finished Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 which has the Avengers, Adam Warlock and Captain Marvel take on Thanos. It's a great two parter and has strong seeds for the Infinity Gauntlet event that would happen 14 years later. The art in it is great the ending is pretty decent though it was a little surprising.

The thing is, those annuals are actually the end of Jim Starlin's Warlock series. The ending when Warlock is there and a second Warlock shows up and goes, "I'm gonna eat my soul now," was seen from the other side in the original series. And of course, Thanos in that is a direct extension of his behavior in Captain Marvel in Starlin's run.

Jim Starlin might be the only creator to do the "I'm carrying my storyline through five different series across two decades!" well. Okay, it's fine to stop after Infinity Gauntlet...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

I think it was brought up in another thread, but I also found a copy of the Freedom Force video game. Don't remember much about it, should install it when I get home.

Remember when Marvel was shutting down Freedom Force fansites for having skins for Marvel characters?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Dragon Goes House Hunting doesn't rely on cheap gross out gimmicks like that, it knows that the premise of a dragon trying to find a home that fits his needs and is within his budget is a strong enough to maintain an ongoing series without trying to shock the audience with gore.

I don't know if that's an actual Japanese comic, but I'd d read it.

Until the inevitable tournament arc when it would become obvious that they ran out of ideas but aren't going to move toward any kind of resolution for their central arc. That dragon is never going to find a house or even have enough character growth to realize that there's no such thing as the perfect house.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Another Legion read-through update: I was kind of apprehensive going into Abnett and Lanning's Legion, but it's been generally good. It's the first time Legion has felt modern, if you get my drift. Every story is HUGE. I've gone from "Earth taken over by the not-borg" to "Legion is lost on the far side of the universe" to "Ra's al Ghul decided to crash the moon into the earth after turning 20% of the population into seeds" to "All consuming robots (who are distinct from the not-Borg) have eaten the earth". The Legion Worlds series was basically laying up all of the big plot points for development, but it did it through some pretty well done personal stories.

It's still bleak as gently caress with lots of "Oooh, that's dark and edgy!" plot elements. I think they're generally earned, though. I did appreciate putting Timber Wolf into baby's day out with an infant that had more super powers than he could deal with.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Legion readthrough update: I've hit Threeboot! Even with fifteen years left to go (I think it's five proper series and a ton of small spin offs, plus *ugh* Countdown), this really feels like an "almost there" moment.

Abnett and Lanning were better than I expected and I enjoyed their run a lot even with some clunky bits. I much preferred Sensor as a giant snake with robot arms instead of sexy snake lady. There were an awful lot of overwhelming but not really well defined threats in the series, too. I am surprised it took this long to bring a different immortal villain than Darkseid into a Legion story.

IIRC, Abnett and Lanning went straight from this to Annihilation, too, and their Legion run feels like a pre-amble to that.

Gail Simone's aborted run reads like it's by someone who thinks Cyclops has eye lasers. I'm only half joking there, sadly. There's a lot of basic things that are wrong with continuity and actions of the characters in her four issues. It would sound like nitpicks, but there's a lot of them and it kept throwing me off. "I thought that was Chameleon Boy since he's the only Durlan who looks like that, but that's not his name. So who is that character?" [Four pages of confusion later.] "Oh, it actually is Chameleon Boy." A lot of "Their powers don't work that way," and "That's not how that story occurred and it was only a year ago that it was published," and "This is completely contradiction the plot elements that were established five pages ago." Also, this cover:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hadji murad posted:

How is REBELS as someone who finished Legion 89+ in the past 6 months?

It finishes up the storyline that L.E.G.I.O.N. ended on but it's not especially satisfying. It feels badly rushed and jumps around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Continuing my Legion readthrough. Yeah, it's been a while but when you hit a big milestone you go off and read something else for a while like a couple volumes of Judge Dredd case files.

Threeboot is a perfect example of how to reboot a property. Mark Waid's previous Legion reboot felt like it was just a change to wipe the slate and clean up some stuff (like the enormous lack of minority representation) while still being recognizably Legion. Threeboot was all about kicking over everything and reimagining the Legion as youth uprising was brilliant. And oddly resonant with recent politics. Okay, Waid wasn't really the best guy to handle it; the concept is good but he's not punk enough and so it has a tendency to slide into some comfortable positions. On the other hand, a lot of the existing characters are spun in a way that makes them more interesting for stories. That was actually one of the strengths of the previous Legion too; they have a lot of "we used the one sentence description of the character as a starting point and did something completely different". And they managed to avoid the Ultimate Universe problem of just telling the same stories again. So thumbs up for the first fifteen issues.

And then Supergirl shows up.

I remember even at the time that Supergirl was becoming a real Poochie in the DC Universe and holy gently caress is it annoying that the book has now stopped and everything is about her and how great she is. God, it's almost making me look forward to Geoff Johns deciding that Legion needs to be all white people again and he'll just write his own Legion in books even though there's a Legion book with a different group already being published.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Speaking of Supergirl, wasn't she a Peter David pet that he basically renamed and used as a different character?

You're getting a little confused. Peter David wrote a pretty solid Supergirl series that started from the telepathic shapeshifter post-Crisis Supergirl but quickly morphed into its own quasi-mystical thing (and by quickly, I mean issue one). He wound up tying it into his own creator owned comic with permission, but later on had to file some serial numbers off with the creator owned book. I don't think I'd really call her a pet in this context because it was done to keep his own book's storyline going rather than focusing on her.

Then another Supergirl showed up. But nobody talks about her because she lasted about eight months and nobody cared.

Then another another Supergirl showed up in Jeph Loeb's Batman/Superman book and even though all of these Supergirls were in continuity, she was the first one that anybody met. She was super special and great and perfect and whenever she wasn't in the comic people would ask, "Where's Supergirl?" She was shoehorned in everywhere that Jeph Loeb touched and I'd definitely call her a pet character. She's the one who wound up in Legion after Infinite Crisis.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong since you have to pick your own boundaries that make sense to you on a reading project like this, but is there a reason that you're going forward with the non-super issues of Tales to Astonish? Most people either only read the comics that were Marvel Universe at the time they were published, or they go whole hog and read everything. Adding one of the monster books to your reading list just feels a bit odd.

Hulk's first run is so inconsistent despite having a perfect first issue. I get the impression that Lee wasn't certain what to do with the character and so reworked him every single issue.

One more thing, are you reading these on Marvel Unlimited or through a source like the PDFs on DVD? The reason I'm asking is that the letter columns add a lot of fun to these, seeing the fan reaction to these stories and spotting future comics and other nerdy professionals.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

God help me, I'm reading Countdown.

This is a cry for help...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

You've made your bed.

I'm also reading the Legion tie-in stuff in Meltzer's Justice League.

I think I actively repressed my memories of that comic. Goddamned is it awful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I sure hope you're reading the tie-ins as well if you want to have even the faintest idea of what's going on.

I'm reading it because my sources listed it as a big part of Legion chronology. Read issue one and discovered that the Legion stuff picked up mid-story from Meltzer's equally bad JLA run so went back and read that. Roughly six months down my timeline I've got the Superman story all about the bronze age Legion. And through all of this there's the actual ongoing Legion series that shares absolutely no continuity with any of that mess. Waid just left the book and in context, it sure seems like it was because his Legion was getting thrown in the trash for the sake of some people reliving their childhoods. Given how noticeably non-diverse the old Legion was, it feels like a classic example of DC throwing minority representation under the bus for the sake of pandering to fans who want everything to remain the same.

And that's before I get into how the continuity makes no sense. I won't beat the drum too hard over Karate Kid still being alive when Projecta is going by Sensor Girl, but Superman was never Superboy so why did he spend his teen years hanging out in the future with them?

Oh, and I forgot that this was part of the who lovely thing to bring back Barry Allen. So, in conclusion, gently caress Geoff Johns.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Amazing Fantasy 15 definitely wasn't intended to be the last issue, despite Stan Lee's later stories of fitting Spider-Man in because the book was doomed. AF switched to an all Ditko book (and was promoted as such!) with issue 10, so when Ditko was eventually tapped to draw Spider-Man it was only natural for the character to debut there. Issue 15 has an editorial page on it asking readers for what they want to see in future issues; almost definitely a prompt for them to go, "Parker Ditko! Bring us pictures of Spider-Man!". The first two issues of Amazing Spider-Man feature two stories rather than a single issue story like Fantastic Four and Hulk had. I'm pretty confident that those stories were drawn for Amazing Fantasy and moved to their own comic.

drrockso20 posted:

Journey Into Mystery #85: the debut of Loki(and technically a bunch of other Asgardians as well as Asgard itself) is a fun little story full of both him and Thor doing some ridiculous feats of magic, not sure what the heck is up with them trying to setup a love triangle between Thor, Loki, and Jane Foster though, guess they just thought repeating the Namor one from FF would make Jane Foster not a complete bore of a character and failed miserably in the process

Question for you. Don Blake found an old cane in a cave in Norway and gained the power to shazam himself into Thor. Thor is his alter ego, not a separate being. Don Blake turns himself into Thor to fight crime/alien invasions, and then turns back. Two issues later, Loki and the Asgardians exist, are gods, and Loki and Thor know each other and have for centuries. So how does that work?

I just want to make your head hurt and your eyes go cross every time you read Thor. :v:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 12, 2021

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read that arc in a long time, were there tender moments or just Storm being protective of someone vulnerable?

No, it's really hard to not read it as sexual. And a big thing is that arc is Yukio getting Storm to open up to her true self.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Mea Culpa then, was that right before she first did the mohawk?

She got the mohawk in that storyline.

Storm showed up for Wolverine's wedding to a conservative Japanese woman wearing an outdated punk rocker outfit and a fresh mohawk. I get the need for a change, Ororo, but read the situation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So is it me, or does Countdown make absolutely no sense?

Why do you hate silver age Marvel comics so much? :v:

Yeah, that's a not fun block of issues. I think Hulk #4 is the one where Hulk flies like the golden age Superman did, though!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 13, 2021

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

It's not you! :v:

I think part of the issue is Morrison only gave DC a loose outline of what they were planning for Final Crisis, so editorial kinda just... guessed.

It definitely doesn't help that Countdown apparently ties into half the comics in the line so every issue I'm going, "I didn't see that. Did I skip an issue?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The only thing I remember about Amazon Attacks is

so I've got no clue why they're attacking on one page in Countdown, what happened, or why Amazons who just attacked Washington DC are running women's shelters in Gotham after it...

Tying Countdown into everything just makes it totally unreadable. And yet here I am.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Fantastic Four #9: an excellent issue overall, the Fantastic Four going broke because of the Stock Market and then going to Hollywood to regain their fortune is a wonderfully silly premise and there's some great moments of both action and character building in this one, only negative is an awkward section where the Human Torch fights against an African Tribe that has not aged well one iota

There's a good argument to be made that FF #9 is the moment Marvel comics was truly born. AF 15 and earlier issues of FF were a bit offbeat, but a story all about how the superheroes have lost their home due to money issues is wildly different from anything before. And it was probably born from Lee and Kirby's own experiences with the financial destruction of Atlas.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Justice, which has several great Captain Marvel moments in it

Beautiful art, pretty weak story since Alex Ross isn't a great writer.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey, spoilers! :v:

Just kidding. Countdown is already spoiled.

I think I've come to understand the biggest problem with Countdown. It's all bridging scenes. All telling, no showing. It's scenes of people talking about things that just happened in another book, then setting up what will happen next. Since all of the important story beats happen in other comics, there's no story for Countdown itself. 51 issues of wheel spinning.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Planet Money did an episode about trying to buy Doorman from Marvel. Also has an interview with Alex Segura of Archie.

https://overcast.fm/+YsPQDOUAI

Leave the GLA alone!

(It actually kind of bothers me that they treat a joke character as a serious one...)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Of all the things to see defended in tyool 2021, loving Body Bags was certainly a dark horse candidate.

And now for the first of my eight part series on why Fathom is actually the greatest comic series of the 90's...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Still slogging my way through Countdown as part of the Legion readthrough and now at issue 12 (which would be issue 39 since they count down), it's like someone went, "You know you've got six plotlines that haven't gone anywhere or done anything or intersected at all despite having 39 issues..." and then Dini went, "Oh poo poo. Okay, everybody suddenly teleports to the same place."

Meanwhile over in real Legion book, Jim Shooter returns to the book he debuted on when he was fourteen and it's better than countdown. And in Action Comics Geoff Johns is making sure that his Legion is back and more XTREME!! than ever. The "look at how grim and serious the Legion" story is especially goofy since that's how the bronze age Legion went out...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's been slow going for my Legion read through since I read a few issues of Countdown and then want to read anything else for a few days. It's almost over, though, and I can honestly say I wasn't expecting Triplicate Girl to be devoured by a mutating rat swarm on panel. That's DC in the 2000's for you!

Also, the last two issues of Countdown weren't scripted. They were told in some even more poorly written than usual narrative captions, but were drawn like there was supposed to be dialog and conversation happening. This series is really bad, guys.

Edit:

On the positive side of things for Countdown, they did remember that there's nothing Darkseid loves more than chilling in someone's comfee chair waiting for them to return home.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 1, 2021

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's from the Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark broadway play that was cancelled early because every actor playing Spider-Man suffered horrible injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RgR0-EWuNY

It was a poorly managed project on every level by people who didn't give two fucks about Spider-Man beyond seeing dollar signs. I'm not saying you have to be a Spider-Man fanatic to make a good adaptation of Spider-Man, but you have to have at least enough respect for the material that you don't go in thinking you're going to throw it all out and teach those nerds what real art is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My Legion readthrough is done with Threeboot, so now I guess I have to complain about minority erasure at DC around 2010.

First things first, though. Shooter's second run felt like it could have gone someplace, but ended abruptly. It did have the problems of dropping the concept of the Legion as a social movement and having Brainiac 5 solve everything. I was enjoying the background stories a lot more than his main one and then the series just got cut off because Geoff Johns wanted his Legion back. It's actually kind of noticeable in Legion of Three Worlds as the Legion members Superboy Prime kills are Reboot and Threebooters.

It's not exactly subtle that the Legion up to the reboot had a pretty significant diversity problem. They were packed with characters created in the 50's and 60's, after all. Both reboots attempted to address this a bit, though given the scale of the number of characters they really didn't go far enough. All of that was wiped out because Johns wanted his childhood characters back so now on a team of over twenty characters there is exactly one case of minority representation and Dawnstar pretty lovely representation since she's a Native American with "tracking" powers. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Johns adds Skateboard Lad to the roster.

At least these Adventure Comics back ups are short. Though I'm getting full doses of the worst aspects of Johns writing in them ("You can't keep lightning in a bottle." :rolleyes:)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh definitely. You know there were precisely two people clamoring for more Pantheon content, and those two people were PAD and me.

I wouldn't have minded some more Pantheon stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

I agree with this and I am saying that as a Kyle fan. Up until Johns brought back Hal I think Green Lantern the title was kind of floundering and borderline non existent as far as sales go, and Johns revitalized the title. Not that any was clamoring for Hal to come back but the stories that came out after were pretty top notch.

The good stuff we got out of GL after Hal coming back could have been done without Hal.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I was on the DC comics message boards in the early 2000s and I can assure you that tons of people wanted Barry back. Maybe it was just a really vocal minority but the DC fans would have been extremely happy if they could just change everything back to how it was in the seventies but with decapitations and disembowelments.

You can't trust that board. It had Superboy Prime as a moderator.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Having just learned what NFTs are yesterday, I'm going to enjoy watching someone else learn what they are.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Legion update - I got pretty deep into Adventure Comics before I realized there was a new Legion book running concurrently with it because the list I'm working from jumped around too much. The other reason is that having Levitz back has been weird; he's been jumping around Legion history in Adventure Comics so it was a while before there was an issue set in the "present". Why have comic companies spent so much effort in the past fifteen years trying to make things impossible to follow?

Unfortunately, issue one of Legion Vol. 6 has probably the message that's aged the worst in the past ten years: "Yes, the racist did some torture, permanently injured you, and is utterly unrepentant, but now that the right people are in charge, you have to reach out to them and meet them in the middle."

I also just realized that I hadn't been reading R.E.B.E.L.S. volume 2 which started in 2009 but I thought was a 2011 book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The rebooted R.E.B.E.L.S. turned out to be a fine space opera, but it had the problem that there was a huge cast and Vril Dox sucks up all of the oxygen in the room. Effectively nobody except Dox gets to take action or get characterization. There's a lot of "Oh yeah, I guess that character is here too," going on in the book. There is a lot of people going, "Wow, that Dox sure is a magnificent bastard!" The story is fun enough to carry the book, but if it was going to be the Vril Dox show then I'd rather it narrowed the focus a bit.

There, I've fulfilled the requirements of the thread title. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I hate to be too enthusiastic about an upcoming superhero movie, but the new Suicide Squad trailer showed Arms Fall Off Boy and now I am there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is Dr. Doom parroting my ideas?

Because that's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

I mean, what do you think about RICHARDS? :doom:

I am pro-launching any building where he resides into space.