Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Uthor posted:

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth had her using Superman's head and spinal column as a whip like it's Mortal Kombat, so....

Is there really an audience for this kind of thing? It just seems completely excessive in a dumb way. I mean, I haven't read it, so maybe there's a really meaningful and entertaining reason she's using Superman's spine and skull as a whip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Speaking of Supergirl, wasn't she a Peter David pet that he basically renamed and used as a different character?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thanks for clearing that up for me--my main understanding of her was in the Return of Superman where she's working with Lex Luthor and can shape shift I guess. I just recalled her having a weird history.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It is weird the Elseworlds aren't as beloved as What If?, since in theory DC could be working with many more years of continuity. But really I feel like reading any Superfamily title from the Silver Age feels more like a DC What If, albeit with really dumb questions, like what if Lois Lane was black and what if Superman had to eat a lot of hamburgers.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I remember my friend lent me Blackest Night and there was a panel where they were all combining their colors together and one guy was like, "didn't I see this on a Saturday morning cartoon?" like they were aware how cheesy and childish it was.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been reading through the Dark Horse reprints of the Marvel Conan and am almost to the end of Roy Thomas's run on it. Does anyone know if it's worth continuing after he leaves the book? He seems to have been a huge part of its success and I already own almost all of the first 14 volumes, so I'm not sure I need even more of them on my shelf unless they're pretty highly recommended.

Also, his afterwords mention the Savage Sword of Conan which ran concurrently but was only black and white--is that worth seeking out if I generally have been digging the colored Conan stories? What was the difference between them?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Should I track down the Dark Horse SSOC or go with the more recent hardcover Marvel omnibus reissues? It doesn't seem like the Dark Horse ones are particularly cheap, since they're several years out of print at this point.

fake edit, I think I'll have to go with Dark Horse, given the SSOC Omnibus volume 1 is like over $300 on Amazon.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there a good academic collection of Tijuana Bibles? I don't know how that works with copyright holders and stuff, given the characters are clearly getting up to stuff that would presumably damage the brand, and they were made illegally in the first place, so reprints seem tricky.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

How Wonderful! posted:

Bob Adelman edited a pretty good sampling of them in 1997 which I think is still in print. Otherwise as far as I know you can scrounge around online or book a visit to the special collections of a university that has some. Duke University has over 370 if you are ever up for a hot and shoddy time in North Carolina. There are many at tijuanabibles.org but hm, how to put this. They are not really.... "good." And they are not really sexy, and I don't know if they were ever really meant to be sexy. Like I don't know if any young bachelors were tossing and turning in their sheets in 1937 thinking like "ohh I just gotta see Fibber McGee's nut, rendered so poorly." I read them as more like a physical token of a particular kind of dirty joke a la Chaucer's scatological scenes or the x-rated limerick. It's less like-- oh my god, Barney Google is so beautiful right now, more like "ha, sex really is just earthy and common and weird, even Barney Google does the drat thing." So of course a lot of them are rough chuckles from the perspective of 2021-- full of racial and ethnic stereotypes, misogyny, weird homophobia (often concurrently with surprisingly frank scenes of gay sex), and dubious acts of consent.

This review of the Adelman book made me chuckle:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Angry Salami posted:

There was an old FF comic that claimed Reed was paid off by the big companies who'd be out of business if he released his inventions to the world.

That's at least realistic but makes Mr Fantastic even more of a monster for taking money over helping humanity, doesn't it?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I feel like people just leaving the rental scooters everywhere is just as much a danger for people tripping over them.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DigitalRaven posted:

I've never read the originals, but Peter Milligan's work on Shade TCM under Vertigo is definitely worth your time.

Yeah, there's a bit in the first volume that stuck with me ever since I read it many years ago:

He encounters an American Sphinx whose riddle is 'Who killed JFK?'

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Do the studios have house artists that get salaries and benefits or is it all freelance?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This might be a dumb question but is Peanuts worth reading? Like I know it's very popular or was, but would it be rewarding to read the entire run of it? Newspaper strips I find tricky because of the format--like if you judged Calvin and Hobbes on a dozen mediocre weekly strips instead of as an entire body of work, you'd walk away with an entirely different perception of it. But I don't have the ambition to read every published Garfield strip because I don't think that'd be rewarding.

I know Peanuts was long running, but how full of mediocre weekly strips was it? Is there a good place to start if not at the beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wait, why can't Batman go down on Catwoman? It sounds like the set up to a joke, but I'm guessing the punchline is something lame like "DC editorial".