Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

I bought the poo poo out of it because I love Daniel Warren Johnson's work, but that plot point was excessive to me. The rest of the story fit the post apocalypse storytelling that I like.

I bought it for the same reason. DWJ books are instabuys for me unless he turns out to be a chud or something, and gratuitous storylines aren’t enough to dissuade me. I’m just here to see what he can draw, if the plot hangs together too that’s great, but in a big 2 book I’m not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

B33rChiller posted:

Is anyone here a patron of Ed Piskor? I'm interested in Red Room, but have some issues with realistic depictions of cranial trauma (PTSD). I'm wondering if reading it will trigger a meltdown, or if it's something I'd enjoy. I've always been a fan of horror movies and enjoyed Piskor's other work, but something like the first episode that netflix deathsexrobot cartoon or whatever had a scene where a head was crushed, and it took me a few days to chill out after that. If the art is as cartoony as the bits I've seen so far, and in line with the style of the cover art, I should be fine. And if there aren't any realistic looking skull injuries, I'd be cool with that too. If anyone who has seen what's been completed of Red Room so far could spoil that aspect of it for me, I'd appreciate it.

I am.

Like it’s art, and the style isn’t realistic but rather cartoony... but it’s pretty graphic. It’s in line with the cover images though.

He has some flip through videos if you’re willing to risk it to see if you want to buy. They’re pretty representative of the work as a whole.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong since you have to pick your own boundaries that make sense to you on a reading project like this, but is there a reason that you're going forward with the non-super issues of Tales to Astonish? Most people either only read the comics that were Marvel Universe at the time they were published, or they go whole hog and read everything. Adding one of the monster books to your reading list just feels a bit odd.

Hulk's first run is so inconsistent despite having a perfect first issue. I get the impression that Lee wasn't certain what to do with the character and so reworked him every single issue.

One more thing, are you reading these on Marvel Unlimited or through a source like the PDFs on DVD? The reason I'm asking is that the letter columns add a lot of fun to these, seeing the fan reaction to these stories and spotting future comics and other nerdy professionals.

I think it's helpful to read at least some monster books to get a better sense of what was there at the time. And if drrockso20 is using CMRO a lot of those monster books are included because they have a character or monster who comes back 30 years later.

My CMRO reading reached Giant Size X-Men several months ago (took me 3 years) and just stalled there. I need to get back to it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The first ~300 issues of CMRO are a slog. The pacing of the stories is slow and they’re very much still in the figuring thing out stage.

Just looked and my first 5 star rating doesn’t come up the 233rd issue. Good luck.

I thought there was some decent stuff in around where you are though - Hulk gets better with 5 and 6, and you’re only 20 issues away from Spider-man getting a regular series. He’ll quickly become the best part of the marvel universe, along with Dr. Strange and (once Kirby comes back around issue 97) Thor.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How Wonderful! posted:

I've seen a few derails recently asking about what the state of the comics medium was in the 90s, if it was really that bad, etc., and it made me realize how avidly I like to come to that vexed decade's defense whenever this issue pops up.

Would people read/post in a thread exclusively about gems of the 90s? Maybe it could be a rotating things where we cherish and adore various decades at different times. I get defensive about my sweet baby 90s and would love an opportunity to wax rhapsodic about Naughty Bits or whatever.

As much as I post anywhere else, yes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nate McDonough of Grixly fame started a Patreon today. He's a Pittsburgh indie guy with a really raw style, and his stuff is some of my favorite weird small press indie stuff out there. Before the pandemic I bought everything he had on his storefront and he sent along some really cool art (both prints and originals) that I've got up in my loft. His patreon tiers are really inexpensive for what you get, so I'm plugging it here.

Random sampling of his work:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would if you lived in ottawa, but I’m guessing that’s not the case.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Savage sword rules. The art is even better, and you get some solid stories too. It’s just more conan, really.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Have I been the villain all along?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can’t imagine buying Bad Idea books through anything but a back issue bin when they’re worth a quarter.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

This might be a dumb question but is Peanuts worth reading? Like I know it's very popular or was, but would it be rewarding to read the entire run of it? Newspaper strips I find tricky because of the format--like if you judged Calvin and Hobbes on a dozen mediocre weekly strips instead of as an entire body of work, you'd walk away with an entirely different perception of it. But I don't have the ambition to read every published Garfield strip because I don't think that'd be rewarding.

I know Peanuts was long running, but how full of mediocre weekly strips was it? Is there a good place to start if not at the beginning?

Peanuts absolutely rules.

I have a collection of all the 70s strips and I just randomly dip in and out and they’re great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Literally the only thing I know about Elfquest is they let Piers Anthony do a crossover with his Xanth series as a favor to a girl who was paralyzed after getting run over by a drunk driver. So I hope it's a success.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_to_Jenny

Wendy Pini is awesome.

The original “Grand Quest” Elfquest storyline has some of favorite comics ever. It’s also free online: http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=Elfquest&p=0&i=1

It’s actually really cool how much of this stuff the Pinis have made available free online. There are also great big inexpensive omnibus editions printed b&w on cheaper paper for folks who want to read physically but don’t want to spend a ton of money.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 16, 2021