Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just recently read the Wolverine collection The Return of Weapon X. Man that guy just can't get a break.

But it did remind me of something I hate about Wolverine. At one point Wolverine dies, and is met in heaven by and/or hallucinates Jean Grey. That unrequited love of Jean Grey part of his character absolutely sucks rear end. Wolverine at this point is supposed to respect and trust if not exactly get along with Scott, and Jean is dead, but still he just can't get over her, the one woman he wanted to gently caress but didn't get to. It's made even worse by the fact that the collection highlights that Wolverine has actually had mutual romantic relationships with women before. He was loving married! But when he dies he doesn't meet his wife, it's Jean Grey.

It's terrible and makes Wolverine look like a lovely guy in a way that I don't think the authors intend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Are gruesome murders and decapitations still cool?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uthor posted:

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth had her using Superman's head and spinal column as a whip like it's Mortal Kombat, so....

Comic books were a mistake.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

Iirc it seems related spiritually to that Batman: Last Knight on Earth.

Also, spoilers for WW Dead Earth: the reason he's using the grimdark spinal-whip is that there was a nuclear assault launched and Kal-El hit up Kansas first to make sure his family was safe, then went to try and save Themyscara.

The Amazons get a face full of nuclear hellfire (which later turns them into hideously mutated monsters) and Diana goes loving nuts, beats Superman half to death across the world while unleashing apocalyptic collateral damage, then punches a fist full of kryptonite through his chest.

so now she's atoning for destroying most of civilization.

That sounds incredibly stupid.

And still doesn't explain why she's using his spine as a weapon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read the book, but I'm guessing because it's still nearly invulnerable so works better than most thing in terms of smashing them.

Sure but with that back story shouldn't she feel even worse than normal about using Superman's corpse like that?

Plus it's a fantasy story about magic people in the future, the author could make up another weapon or use any one of the many preexisting magical weapons in the world of the DC comics. So I guess the answer to "why?" is just "because the author thought it was badass"

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 25, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vincent posted:

Hey Gripweed, there's a reason people are using spoilers.

Whoops sorry

Endless Mike posted:

Guy who reads animes complaining about comics being silly.

Dragon Goes House Hunting doesn't rely on cheap gross out gimmicks like that, it knows that the premise of a dragon trying to find a home that fits his needs and is within his budget is a strong enough to maintain an ongoing series without trying to shock the audience with gore.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if that's an actual Japanese comic, but I'd d read it.

Until the inevitable tournament arc when it would become obvious that they ran out of ideas but aren't going to move toward any kind of resolution for their central arc. That dragon is never going to find a house or even have enough character growth to realize that there's no such thing as the perfect house.

I've only read the first three volumes, and I will admit that it doesn't seem like he's gonna find the right place anytime soon. But it does keep moving and changes stuff to keep the story fresh. Like, the dragon finds a Hræsvelgr egg, so that changes his house needs because now he has a kid.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It would seem somehow appropriate to read the headline "Comicon Strain proves resistant to vaccines"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheAlanJohnson/status/1359189235740209153?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Your friend and mine Chap "Chip Zdarsky" Zdoosky, along with friends Moderator "David Brothers" Hermanos, Deb Aoki, and Chris Butcher have a new podcast where they read anime called "Mangasplaining". The first episode is in Akira and the second on "Delicious in Dungeon". Catch it in places where you listen to podcasts I guess.

Delicious in Dungeon is so good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

When I was a kid sometimes when I went to the comic shop and my parents weren't paying attention or the cover seemed tame, I'd slip a copy of Spawn in with my normal Spidermans and what have you. My parents never expressed an awareness of Spawn, but it has such an air of a forbidden, gritty, mature comic, I just felt it best not to give my parents any reason to look into it.

As such, I only read a handful of random issues across the years I was into American comics as a child, so I never got any good sense of the story or universe. Now I can only remember a couple specific details I read, the finite power gimmick and one issue about some people wandering around limbo. But what does come across very strongly in my memory is a sense of grossness. The main character looked gross under the mask, he was usually standing in a filthy alley, the bad guys were gross, the bystanders were gross, it was a gross world full of gross people.

I saw some people talking about Spawn recently and that brought that memory back. so when I went to the comic shop to get the latest volume of Dragon Goes House-Hunting, on a whim I decided to grab a random recent issue of Spawn.

Honestly, the grossness wasn't there as much. The guy still looked gross under the mask, but the issue took place on a beach and in a clean lab. He got some mysterious fluid pumped into his gross body, but that was mainly it.

But the story of the comic was that Spawn got caught by a much bigger Spawn, who explained that something Spawn did like ten issues beforehand had trapped hundreds of Spawns on earth, and now all the Spawns are going to fight each other to see who can conquer earth. Which kicks rear end. I'm gonna subscribe to Spawn.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I picked up an old Ultraman comic I'd never heard of at the comic shop the other day, Ultracomics' Ultraman #1 of 3. It turned out to be written by Dwayne McDuffie! Dwayne McDuffie wrote an Ultraman comic! The comic was pretty good which makes sense not only because of the writer but because in the middle of a two page summary of the franchise, there's this paragraph

He loving got it. Not only did Dwayne McDuffie write an Ultraman comic, he understood Ultraman.
It makes me even sadder about the new Marvel series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Was Cable actually a soldier? I thought he was just tough and gruff from growing up in a bad future.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rhyno posted:

He fought in a lot of wars while time traveling so he meets the soldiering requirements.

If he wasn't part of a standing army that would make him an enemy combatant.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rhyno posted:

Does the Six Pack count?

I can't keep up with how often Blackwater changes it's name.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

Having just learned what NFTs are yesterday, I'm going to enjoy watching someone else learn what they are.

Imagine a slot machine, but every time you pulled the lever it burned a barrel of oil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It turns out Dwayne Mcduffies three issue Ultraman series with Ultracomics was immediately followed by a five issue series with Nemesis comics.

I wonder what happened to Ultracomics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

whoop swrong thread

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1379419372297523206?s=20

The details in this story about Joss basically line up with everything we've learned about the guy recently. But goddamn does Geoff Johns come across really loving bad too. The whole thing is worth reading but here are the Johns-related passages

quote:

Once Whedon got involved, Fisher says that Johns told him that it was problematic that Cyborg smiled only twice in the movie. Fisher says he later learned from a witness who participated in the investigation that Johns and other top executives, including then-DC Films co-chairman Jon Berg and Warners studio chief Toby Emmerich, had discussions in which they said they could not have "an angry Black man" at the center of the film. Johns' rep responds that once the chairman of the studio mandated a brighter tone for the film, all further discussions centered on "adding joy and hopefulness to all six superheroes. There are always conversations about avoiding any stereotype of race, gender or sexuality."

Johns told Fisher he should play the character less like Frankenstein and more like the kindhearted Quasimodo. Fisher says that in order to demonstrate the look he wanted, Johns dipped his shoulder in what struck Fisher as a servile posture. To Fisher, there was a big difference between portraying a character who was born with a disability versus one who had been transformed by trauma. And he felt Cyborg was a kind of modern-day Frankenstein. "I didn't have any intention of playing him as a jovial, cathedral-cleaning individual," he says.

Johns' representative responds: "Geoff gave a note using a fictional character as an example of a sympathetic man who is unhappy and has an inclination to hide from the world, but one whom the audience roots for because he has a courageous heart."

quote:

Johns' rep denies that he ever dismissed any comments, adding that Fisher knew Johns — whose spokesperson requested that he be identified as Lebanese American — "had evolved traditionally all-white DC properties like Shazam, Justice Society of America and others into diverse groups of heroes" in his extensive work as a comic book author.

quote:

The tension only escalated when the issue of having Cyborg say "booyah" arose. That phrase had become a signature of the character thanks to the animated Teen Titans shows, but the character had never said it in the comics or in the original script. Fisher says that Johns had approached Snyder about including the line, but the director didn't want any catchphrases. He managed the situation by putting the word on some signs in his version of the film, as an Easter egg. But Johns' rep says the entire studio believed the booyah line was "a fun moment of synergy."

Fisher says he doesn't see the word in itself as an issue, but he thought it played differently in a live-action film than the animated series. And he thought of Black characters in pop culture with defining phrases: Gary Coleman's "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?"; Jimmie Walker's "Dy-no-mite!" As no one else in the film had a catchphrase, he says, "It seemed weird to have the only Black character say that."

With reshoots underway, Fisher says Whedon raised the issue again: "Geoff tells me Cyborg has a catchphrase," he told him.

quote:

Two individuals who worked on Syfy's Krypton TV series talked to Fisher about events that had taken place on the series.

Multiple sources tell THR that the show's creators were passionate about doing some nontraditional casting and that Regé-Jean Page, who would go on to become a breakout star of Bridgerton, had auditioned for the role of Superman's grandfather. But Johns, who was overseeing the project, said Superman could not have a Black grandfather. The creators also wanted to make one superhero character, Adam Strange, gay or bisexual. But sources say Johns vetoed the idea.

"Geoff celebrates and supports LGTBQ characters, including Batwoman, who in 2006 was re-introduced as LGBTQ in a comic-book series co-written by Johns," says Johns' rep in an email.

quote:

Several sources who spoke to Fisher around this time were willing to talk to a Warners investigator. Among them was writer Nadria Tucker, who tweeted Feb. 24: "I haven't spoken to Geoff Johns since the day on Krypton when he tried to tell me what is and is not a Black thing." Tucker tells THR that Johns objected when a Black female character's hairstyle was changed in scenes that took place on different days. "I said Black women, we tend to change our hair frequently. It's not weird, it's a Black thing," she says. "And he said, 'No, it's not.' "

Johns' spokesperson says: "What were standard continuity notes for a scene are being spun in a way that are not only personally offensive to Geoff, but to the people that know who he is, know the work he's done and know the life he lives, as Geoff has personally seen firsthand the painful effects of racial stereotypes concerning hair and other cultural stereotypes, having been married to a Black woman who he was with for a decade and with his second wife, who is Asian American, as well as his son who is mixed race."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Madkal posted:

What can you prescribe for good upbeat comics?

Laid Back Camp is a very nice story about how it's fun to go camping in the winter

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alan Moor is gonna write a five volume fantasy series that depicts an alternate reconstruction of post-WW2 London

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rhyno posted:

How many of the female characters will be pre teens he over sexualizes?

the article didn't say. Was that a problem with Jerusalem? I've only read Moore's comics, I don't know how how he is as a novelist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Supervillains actually existing would be a pretty big deal. I mean, my god, can you image what America would be like if every day there was another news story about a deranged man committing indiscriminate violence in public?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The guy at my LGS who knows I like giant robot stuff pointed out that Bad Idea comic about giant robots, but I decided not to pick it up because it the robot designs in it were really bad. Now I'm very glad I didn't pick it up, I'd hate to be reading a series only to find out that the last issue will be available exclusively to people who solve an ARG and can be in Terre Haute at 2AM on Christmas Eve

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's this classic

And this seems like a pretty good representation of the vibe over the election of the Obama; the long nightmare of the Bush administration is over, the first black president is here and he's a cool dude who is going to fix all the problems

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lurdiak posted:

I mean what the heck would you expect a retelling of the early stories of Buffy to be if not for an alt universe.

A retelling? Like with Gundam, there are multiple ways to experience the story of the original Gundam. The TV series, the movies, the novels, The Origin. They aren't alternate universes, they all tell the same story in different and sometimes contradictory ways. Did the White Base have a chef? Was the Gundam the first MS the Federation produced or just the first effective MS the Federation produced? How many Zeon Mobile Armors did Amuro destroy? The different versions disagree on details like that, but they all tell the same story and have the same heart, because they are retellings. People disagree about which is the best way to experience the story, but nobody argues which is more canonical than any other. Even the material that comes later, the various sequels and spinoffs, take elements from all of them.

Making it an alternate universe just seems like a way to keep the original series pristine and canonical, and of course to set up the possibilities of crossovers and such.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That Birds of Prey Black Canary comic is pretty good. I really like how they handled the former lead singer, it was neat that she was complex and wasn't just jealous and evil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What was the name of that comic about iirc a guy with a magically insane vest? Like, his vest let him channel insanity magic, or something like that?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

Shade the Changing Man, created by Steve Ditko.

Thanks! I was just reminded of the series but couldn't remember any details beyond the insane vest.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DigitalRaven posted:

I've never read the originals, but Peter Milligan's work on Shade TCM under Vertigo is definitely worth your time.

Yeah, that's the one I read a couple issues of.

Of course now it's extremely out of print.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How Wonderful! posted:

You can get a lot of it on Comixology if you would like to read it digitally. It looks like it's missing a small chunk of issues in the first year and then issues #51-70.

Edit: It looks you can get issues #7-9 if you buy the trades, they just aren't up as single issues.

I really wish I could just buy the trades physically. I'm not fond of reading comics on a screen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm really annoyed that Jenny Zero is only four issues. "Ultraseven's faildaughter has to take her father's place as protector of earth" is a great premise, the character comes across well, and the best friend and their relationship is really good too. This should be an ongoing, I want to just enjoy these characters and this situation. But since it's only four issues presumably there's going to be a rush to an unsatisfying climax and that'll be the end.

Stop doing miniseries! It's fine if it's one of the big two and it's just like, "what if Spider-Man and the White Rabbit got sent back in time and have to work together save Robespierre from a time traveling Monarchist assassin" or whatever, some fun idea they don't want to spend six months of the main series on. But if it's a new thing based on an interesting idea it should be an ongoing with a minimum two year commitment from the publisher.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe the writer has a really good idea for a story that can be told in four issues and that's it? It's weird that you're writing something off before the first issue has even been published.

The second issue came out this week. That's how I came up with my opinion that I want more time with these characters in this situation, because I've enjoyed that part of the comic so far. And the actual "plot" part about the shady organization is much less interesting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is Morrison's DC thing complete? I read and really liked Batman Incorporated back in the day, the one issue about the internet notwithstanding, but never got into the rest of the larger saga.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ruddiger posted:

It got knee capped by the mandated company wide event that introduced the New 52, whatever the hell that is.

Wasn't it kind of the other way around? iirc the New 52 was supposed to be a clean break but Morrison and Johns were in the middle of massive years-long narratives on Batman and Green Lantern respectively, so everything from those two families of titles got grandfathered into what was supposed to be this whole new continuity so the stories could continue.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read BPRD 1946. It was really good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hey Lurdiak, thanks for the TMNT recommendation, I really liked it! I read the first two volumes and next time I go to the comic shop I'm preordering the third.

poo poo, I think I might become a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan. But not of the old indie comics, or the old cartoon or the new cartoons or any of the movies or the toys. Just the part where it got really furry. That's the part I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is there a TMNT(Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) thread?