Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Probably the darkest Elseworld is the Vampire Batman trilogy. Most other ones would end with things returning to the status quo or something close to it while Vampire Batman just keeps getting darker as it goes. Red Rain, the first one, mostly fits the standard as it ends with Batman becoming a vampire but he's going to be a good vampire who never drinks blood. Bloodstorm, the second one, kills off Catwoman which makes Vampire Batman drain the Joker of blood in a fit of rage. This one ends with Bruce making Alfred stake him because of the whole killing Joker thing. Crimson Mist, the final one, has Alfred unstake Batman after Gotham's criminals start running rampant. Unfortunately Vampire Batman has become full blown evil. This one ends with all of Batman's rogue's gallery dead, along with Alfred and Gordon who die trying to stop Vampire Batman. Standing in the ruins of the Batcave with the bodies of both friend and foe around him Batman steps into a ray of sunlight, killing himself.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to rebrand those books as part of the Dark Multiverse because they definitely feel like they would fit right in.

Wasn't Red Rain one of the Earths that stuck around for Multiversity? I remember a Kelley Jones drawing of a vampire Justice League in that guidebook. But somehow they had a vampire Earth-3 Ultraman instead of a vampire Superman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They did all the 1994 annuals as Elseworlds but I don’t recall any being too great.

I loved the two-part story where the JLA had to go underground after aliens conquered Earth. IIRC, Wally had lost the use of his legs and became a guy who shot guns really fast. GL was blind, I think? It was badass in 1994.

Those 1994 annuals were also the origin of Pirate Batman.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Oh man did it EVER not stop.

You have MAJOR STORY SPOILERS INCOMING
the Onmi Man reveal, Mark hooking up with the Teen Guardians, some guy reanimating dudes as Canon fodder, Mark fighting with the US Gov, Robot being a weirdo 8chan Founder Gremlin, Robot getting a sexy teen clone body, Robot and Monster Gal getting stuck in the Lunkhead Dimension and MonsterGal going Poly on him, some brain dude that won't stop until Mark is dead, Atom Eve getting pregnant then kinda losing her powers, OmniMan turning a planet of BugPeople into a breeding ground, Mark getting Raped.... God almighty

I don't want to come off like I'm defending Kirkman's shortcomings as a storyteller, but I feel like you could make a list like this just as easily for Spider-Man, if not easier.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It’s such a weird thing to me because, from a narrative perspective, why not say Reed Richards and T’Challa cured cancer? There’s hardly a good reason in-universe that cancer has to be a thing that still exists. (Mar-vell’s death aside.) Trans-dimensional travel is fine, but curing cancer is a bridge too far in terms of realism?

I’ve always felt that Stan Lee’s idea of “the real world” was based more on superheroes behaving like real people than making sure the telephones worked the same way as ours. So yeah, it’s totally fine to me if everyone in Marvel has a StarkPhone that lets them call a parallel universe, so long as Hawkeye’s still a dickhead.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

I think a case in point is how over a year ago the X-books made a big plot point out of miracle medicine being distributed to most of the nations on Earth, curing a whole host of diseases and conditions, and it has absolutely not derailed the rest of the Marvel line because most Marvel books aren't about that stuff. They made that small leap of "this world is now markedly different from the real world in such and such a way" and it went fine. I really liked that.

It isn’t much different in my mind from early Iron Man comics constantly saying, “I can do this now, thanks to TRANSISTORS!” The difference might be that society has moved out of Jet Age optimism into climate anxiety or whatever defines today’s doom-centric attitudes.

Silver Age comics were no different than Popular Mechanics articles from the same time about the moon cities of 1995 or whatever. I think the attitude today is much more cynical, so the idea of a superhero doing anything beyond enforcing the status quo is seen as infantile.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

This is why Astro City is so good

Definitely not the only reason, but yes.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

New theory: Spider-Man doesn't need mechanical webshooters. He's always been able to generate his own webs, but he's so embarrassed by the webbing coming out of his rear end that he invented mechanical webshooters to use instead.

I hate this because my brain extrapolated that Spidey secretly wears underpants that have tubes running up to his wrists. I didn’t want to think that, but here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vincent posted:

Bad Idea is closing shop. Unless it's another one of their marketing stunts (it's deffo this).
https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1401901766589902853

Announcing you're shutting down your business forever with a hashtag (and also a six-month buffer period where you'll still be doing all the usual stuff) is giving the game away, I think.