Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Names are a hard (in people's mind) thing to change. Lot of historical inertia there. At this point it's largely because of tradition and where the Southern Baptists are located (in the South). I would chalk it up to a similar thing with groups like the NAACP. When I actually explain to my students what the name stands for, a lot of them (who are African-American) make faces because 'colored people' is no longer considered the proper name for African-Americans/Black Americans, but changing the name would be changing a lot of history, so the group keeps the name it has.

That would be my guess though.

I am an occasional drive by Roman Catholic poster. I guess the best term would be 'orthodox', as I don't go to any Latin Masses and the like, although I do try to partake in many of the Church's traditions that have fallen by the wayside (Like fasting from meat on Friday). My Pastors are recently starting to do more Latin Masses at our Church though so maybe I'll try to attend some.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Now I am converting to Catholicism, I'm in the middle of RCIA at my parish. (I'd like to visit a Latin mass at some point, but I'm happy in my tradionalist NO parish)

Glad to have you brother. I hope your parish has a good Knights of Columbus chapter to get involved in. They've helped me strengthen my faith quite a bit.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Siivola posted:

If a sinner refuses Christ because they want to go to hell, what kind of hell will they get?

Asking for a friend some internet rando.

My guess would be regular Hell. There's only one kind of Hell from the Christian theological point of view.

Unless you're referring to Dante's Inferno 9 Rings of Hell, but that's poetic license, not actually taught Christian theology.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Request for prayers, having a minor surgery tomorrow to fix an issue I've had for the past year.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

St. Raphael the Archangel, patron of healing, pray for Crazy Joe Wilson.

Thanks everyone, home and on the mend.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Praying for all requests mentioned on this page.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Didn't go to Ash Wednesday Mass because 1) I worked, and 2)knowing how many Catholics, even those who never go to a single other Mass all year go, I was kind of worried about the increased amount of bodies at my family's Parish. Also, not a Holy Day of Obligation.

My Knights of Columbus council is running drive-thru Fish Fries for every day during this Lent. Good to see them do that, they tried it out a few months ago and it worked great, very safe and sanitary. Even with only taking donations they still made a profit too.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Pershing posted:

COVID update: fever is largely gone, just a nagging cough that's worse when I talk. Between having had the vaccine and getting the antibody tx, I'm doing pretty well. My wife caught it but the kids haven't been sick (thank you Lord).

Also I've been endlessly frustrated and angry, I'm trying to pray more/read Scripture more in response. I have this feeling that big changes are needed in my life (esp. my professional life). Thank you all for the prayers/I'm still praying for you.

Saint Rafael, please continue to heal Pershing and his wife. Protect his children from this virus.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Praying Pershing.

Also asking for prayers for the soul of Father Jerome Lukachinsky, one of the Priests at my parent's parish. He passed away a week ago, and is being buried today. Good Priest, had MS his entire life, his death was unexpected.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Worthleast posted:

Hey religiongoons.

Pope Francis is restricting the availability of the Latin Mass, which is going to put a lot of my friends in a very difficult position. I'd appreciate your prayers for the situation. I'm going to continue to be in apparent disobedience for some time I guess.

Offering prayers to you and other TLM folks. I've got a good friend who loves TLM, and has been talking my ear off non-stop about every single rumor the last few months to come out about Pope Francis doing something big about TLM. Turns out he was right, as this is worse than any of the rumors believed.

I've only attended a TLM once (Got 'tricked' into going by a buddy, no biggie, he just didn't tell me it was in Latin), I go to a pretty Orthodox NO Parish, but it still makes me sad. Just strikes me that the Pope is taking a few bad examples of radtrads and acting rashly to quash something that isn't there, while there's the very real possibility of a schism in Germany that he seems to care not at all about. His Pontificate has seemed (At least to my admittedly ignorant and sinful self) be riddled with constantly backhanding more conservative elements of the church while shrugging at those dancing along the border of apostasy.

He's not the first Pope to act rashly, won't be the last. I still owe him my obedience, as do all lay people. I hope he might change his mind on this, but I remember reading an article a few years ago from an insider in the Vatican that wrote about Francis' personal style of leadership being highly intolerant of any dissent and quick to punish those seen as disloyal (Which was in stark contrast to his welcoming and nice public persona), so I don't think a reflection and walking back is going to take place.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 17, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

See stuff like this just seems too close to this announcement to be coincidental. Why suddenly not allow Latin versions of NO right before all but banning TLM?

Something smells.

blurred posted:

I know that properly understanding the importance of things like this sometimes requires you to be an insider, but could someone at least try to explain to an outsider why performing the mass in Latin is so very important to some people, and why stopping them from performing the mass in Latin is so very important to others?

A sense of ritual, tradition, and history in worship can help bring some people closer to the mystery that is their faith. For many people, there's a lot of meaning in worship that is closer to the way it was practiced for hundreds or even thousands of years. You also run into the issue that sometimes the Norvos Ordo mass has dealt with liturgical abuse, or went way too far with the "Spirit of Vatican II" (For example, nowhere in Vatican II does it say that altar rails had to be gotten rid of, and yet every church I went to as a little boy never had them. The first time I saw altar rails was at a Byzantine Catholic parish. Vatican II also strongly encourages chant over hymns, and yet I've never seen a Norvos Ordo parish use chant, etc., etc.).

For many people, TLM is very beautiful and meaningful, it helps them worship better. I won't begrudge anyone that, even as I only attend Norvos Ordo.

With that said, there have been radtrads who took it too far, declared all Norvos Ordo (And by extension, Vatican II), suspect or not valid, who proclaimed triumphalist hymns that "it was only a matter of time" before TLM completely replaced Norvos Ordo, etc., etc. They were always a small but loud minority who used the internet to amplify their stupidity. But it seems they fell into the crosshairs of Pope Francis and his advisors, and all attendees of TLM are getting punished now.

TLM while still tiny, are/were experiencing huge growth compared to all other Catholic communities. And now the Pope has declared that they must stop (No new churches dedicated to them even). I've defended Pope Francis and his decision-making for most of his 8 year-Pontificate. After this rash decision, I really can't anymore.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

TOOT BOOT posted:

This seems like one of those things where if you're catholic you understand immediately why everyone is so upset, and if you're not catholic you still kinda' don't get it even after it's explained to you.

Think of it this way. You got a boss who on very important issues at work is constantly vague and always seems to be contradicting company policy with whatever he says, and refusing to clarify while one of his yes-men is always following his vague announcements with "oh well he didn't mean that, this is what he means", leading to a lot of workplace confusion and low morale. There's also a group of employees who are constantly breaking the rules and could probably be fired over it who the boss seems to turn a blind eye to. Then there's a group of workers who work pretty hard but don't see eye to eye with the boss on all things, and some of them grumble way too much about it and how it was better under the old boss. The boss drops the hammer on them every chance he gets, talking poo poo, treating them like they're the biggest problem in the office, while the first group laughs about it in the lunch room.

If I was a decent writer I'd have some funny examples or anecdotes to make this analogy sound better.

SpaceGrass posted:

If God created man in "his own image" how come the majority of us are so messed up?
Sounds like He created us for His entertainment. Well, at least He has a sense of humor.

The Christian answer would be sin, in super-short term.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Liquid Communism posted:

That was essentially what the last ~30 years have been.

Pope John Paul II allowed limited use of the Tridentine mass in 1984.

We're at a point now where most of the people who remember the Tridentine Mass as the standard are elderly at best, and the pressure towards it appears to be coming in large part from arch-conservatives harking, as they do, back to a 'better day' when the laity was not involved in the mass except as spectators with an occasional call and response.

For a lot of people who prefer the TLM, they find that it actually helps them to worship better and that they feel MORe a part of the worship, as opposed to when they participate in NO.

I always find it kind of silly when people say "Oh those TLM just want to a Mass we're they're spectators", when the common response I get from TLM attendees is it makes them feel more involved, not less.

I don't know, maybe we should listen to the people attending about how it makes them feel rather than just assume they want to be a spectator and say the Rosary while the Mass goes on.

quote:

To quote Pope Francis from his time as Archbishop of Buenos Aires:

This is pretty funny since Pope Francis only gets rigid when it comes to radtrads. I wonder what he's hiding under the surface in that case...

Honestly I just chalk this up to old people not understanding that (some) young people crave tradition and stability, and interpreting in typical old person fasion that young people are dumb and should just do what old people want.

Captain Von Trapp posted:

quotes

I appreciate you putting what I've been trying to say in better words and ways than I could have.

On the topic of the Spanish Inquisition by the by, I always found it fascinating that they were the first Court system in Europe with free public defendants and that people frequently blasphemed when caught by Spanish civil authorities because they knew the punishments of the Inquisition were less than the civil authorities at the time.

But then it's only been in the last 60 years that modern scholarship has been able to start reversing a lot of the damage the English Black Legend did when it came Catholic history.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Freudian posted:

Speaking as a Jew: Are we whitewashing the Inquisition now?

Not at all, just pointing out that the Inquisition has gotten a lot more focus in the last 60 years which has presented a more historically complicated picture. Forced conversion, religious persecution, and ethnic cleansing, all which took place in the Spanish Inquisition are obviously crimes against humanity, which is why Pope John Paul II apologized for it back in 2000 (And Spain in 2020). But a number of things commonly believed about the Inquisition, specifically the Spanish Inquisition, are not necessarily true (That the Spanish throne went after Jews and Muslims is definitely true, but no one debates that point nowadays). The BBC (hardly an apologist for the Catholic Church) had a good documentary about the Spanish Inquisition back in 1994 when most of this revision research was going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY-pS6iLFuc (To be fair, the documentary doesn't really touch on the expulsion of Jews and Muslims that the Spanish state engaged in simultaneously with the Spanish Inquisition).

I just don't think mentioning the Inquisition in a conversation should count as a mic drop moment.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Freudian posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?lang=en

EDIT: like you're saying "yes, yes, there were some instances of crimes against humanity against Jews, Muslims, and the entire Americas, but you have to consider the NUANCE of it". gently caress no!

That's not what I'm saying. Thing A can still be evil because of 1A detail being really evil, while 1B, another detail that was commonly believed to be true, can later be proven to be false and talked about. I'm not challenging the ultimate moral judgement of the Spanish Inquisition (Evil), I just think the better we understand a topic and all its facets, the better off we are to make a judgement about it. And if we can dispel a myth here or there (Some of those myths still appearing in textbooks today), so much the better.

quote:

All I am asking for this thread is to not make excuses for the Inquisition. If that's too much for some posters then maybe this isn't the space I thought it was.

Not trying to excuse any historical atrocities here. If I can share my own perspective, I've had to engage in a lot of Catholic apologetics growing up dealing with people asking "How can you be a Catholic when X happened in history?" with a lot of X typically being historically false stuff (I can't tell you how many times I've been told the Catholic Church wrote Malleus Maleficarum, a book they... condemned and excommunicated the writer of). That often leads me to try to add more context to history involving the Catholic Church, not to excuse or ignore crimes that have been committed, but to talk about it and make sure I and the other party understand what we're actually talking about. If in the course of that it's come across that I'm trying to whitewash something, and have offended someone, I apologize, as that wasn't my intent.

Tiberius Typhen posted:

The Catholic Church proper continues to refuse to apologize.

Pope Benedict XVI apologized in 2009 after that Federal Reconciliation Panel first published its findings. https://www.ctvnews.ca/pope-apologizes-for-abuse-at-native-schools-1.393911

quote:

"There was a feeling that despite the apologies that were offered by the oblates and some bishops, that the Catholic Church as a whole has not recognized the part that we played.

"As a gesture of reconciliation... it was important to hear from the one person who does speak for the Catholic Church around the world, to hear him say 'I am sorry. I feel for what you people have suffered. We hope that we can turn the page and move toward a better future together.'"

Chief Edward John of the Tlazten First Nations says he hopes the apology will help "many people move forward."

"We heard the prime minister's apology a year ago in June. And today, to listen to the Holy Father explain his profound sorrow and sadness and to express that there was no room for this sort of abuse to take place in the residential schools, that is an emotional barrier that now has been lifted for many people," he said.

Phil Fontaine, national chief of the Assembly of First Nations, said he appreciated the apology from the Church.

"I think His Holiness understands the pain that was endured by so many and I heard him say that it caused him great anguish," said Fontaine, who attended the meetings, on Wednesday.

"I also heard His Holiness say that the abuse of the nature that was inflicted on us has no place in the Church, it's intolerable and it caused him great anguish."

"What I heard," Fontaine added, "it gives me comfort."

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
In other news, the Los Angeles Unified School District illegally denied a bunch of Title 1 funds to Catholic schools that qualified this past year. https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/248425/investigation-los-angeles-city-illegally-kept-funds-destined-to-catholic-schools

quote:

According to the report, in 2019, “LAUSD insisted on a hard deadline of June 26 for [the archdiocese] to produce in 12 days all underlying surveys for 123 schools and over 12,000 funding-eligible students. The district was effectively requesting a full census (equivalent to a 100% review) of all [archdiocesan schools, with 12 calendar days to comply, during a summer break when most schools were closing or closed.”

That's uhh, pretty dang blatant.

Apparently they did it to Jewish schools too.

quote:

Escala believes the archdiocese would win any appeal because the U.S. Department of Education recently issued a similar ruling in a parallel dispute between LAUSD and Jewish schools in Los Angeles.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 20, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

My question is, did I, through my words and actions, sin against my friend?

Just my two cents. You had good intentions (To avoid the near occasion of sin for yourself, to avoid potential scandal), you told the truth, and you wished for the good of your friend (the definition of love). Yes, it is painful to see your friend go through this, as well as yourself, but the truth sometimes hurts, and you were trying to avoid a possible greater hurt and betrayal in the future by telling the truth now.

I don't see any possible sin here. If it helps you feel better, think about the numerous times Christ admonished sinners to turn from their sinful ways in the Gospel. Surely, such admonishments hurt, and caused people discomfort, but admonishment is a form of love, and that hurt helped them turn from an ultimately evil path (sin).

Here, through no fault of either of you, you were in a situation that could potentially lead to sin, and you chose to avoid that, even though that comes with cost.

On TLM Chat, here is a First Things article that posits the main reason for Pope Francis' super-harsh comedown on TLM as being primarily a response to TLM-internet bloggers who gave the rest of the group a bad rep. Interesting read I think: https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2021/07/for-pope-francis-the-mass-is-the-message

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
This is just my gut reaction, but no. Animals do not have immortal souls as taught by the Catholic Church, and lack the capacity for free will, relying instead on instinct/training/familiarity. Without free will, one cannot choose good or evil.

That isn't to say animals can't do good things, love their owners, show emotions like bravery or loyalty, or show some empathy. They can do all those things, but not out of a conscious choice, where they weigh the consequences of their decisions.

There is an urban legend of saint Guinefort. Supposedly the dog was venerated by locals as a protector of infants, but I believe there was evidence that people actually were engaging in infanticide by leaving their babies there to die.

Needless to say, the Catholic Church tried to suppress the cult and stop the infanticide, intentional or accidental.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 21, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Viscardus posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the story of St. Guinefort, which is what led indirectly (by way of another conversation I had) to my asking the question.

I apologize if this is an obvious question, but I'm not a Christian. Why do they need an immortal soul to be a saint? Don't they just need to be present in heaven and thus able to intercede with God? Did Don Bluth lie to me about the ability (and in fact certainty thereof) of dogs to go to heaven?

To add to what HopperUK said, pets can be in Heaven, according to several Catholic theologians, but they can only be there as an expression of God's love for you. A dog itself is not getting into Heaven, and Christ did not die so that all dogs might live. Father Mike Schmitz explains it better than I can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDI0vn83Y-g

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I thought it was pretty well-known that evangelicals aren’t doing too great given that their congregations are old as poo poo. That’s a huge reason why White evangelicals especially have been going ballistic in terms of Christian nationalism lately. This is the first time in all of their lifetimes where they actually feel genuinely threatened and they have no idea how to deal with it.

Evangelical Protestants have never been a majority of American Protestantism. They were a tiny but fast-growing sect of Protestantism in the 1920s when they first emerged.

NikkolasKing posted:

I've often heard it touted by a certain type of person that it is conservative churches which maintain their congregation and even grow while, say, the Anglicans are collapsing because of their liberal ways like being okay with gays and porn

Didn't the Anglican Church of England themselves put out a study showing they would disappear in England in 20 or 30 years?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 30, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

NikkolasKing posted:

Googling it, it looks like it was the Anglican Church of Canada
https://religionnews.com/2019/11/18/church-of-canada-may-disappear-by-2040-says-new-report/

Anglican Churches in the UK have been shrinking but they aren't on the verge of dying so far as I know.

Regardless, the question is Why, at least for me. The idea some liberality leads to decline in religion is not great and doesn't even feel right to me. It might lead to less organized religion, though. The infamous "spiritual not religious" type.

Recent sociological work points out secularization of schools as the biggest factor in secularization of a society. What gets taught is important, what doesn't, gets seen as unimportant.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m having a sleep study done tonight. Please pray they find something, (hopefully apnea) that can be addressed and enable me to live a better, fuller life.

I'll say a Chaplet of Divine Mercy for you.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Spacegrass posted:

I've been going to spiritual/Christian chat rooms and the 'leader' there said Jesus was God in the flesh. I do not believe that because of the things Jesus said; for example: "My God why have you forsaken me!?", "I do the will of my Father." etc. I guess everyone has their own beliefs, but they can get really disturbing and confusing.

The Holy Trinity is a divine mystery that we aren't going to completely understand in this world.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Jesus Christ came into this world in order to live His life as an example for how we are to live our lives; same reason He got baptized, and did several other things; not because He needed to but to show us what we should do.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

HopperUK posted:

I see no reason to think her conversion isn't genuine. I do know, also, that she currently has an IUD or a coil fitted and she wants rid of it. I wonder if the courts would be more amenable to that now that it's a religious requirement. Not saying she's being cynical, just wondering if that would make a difference.

I try not to pay attention to celebrity stuff, but was she forced to receive the IUD due to her father having those custodian rights or whatever? If so... Mother of Mercy that is evil.

Time for some prayers then.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes she was. Her family is also forcing her to perform constantly to make money that they steal from her as administrator fees.

How is forcing someone to receive an IUD legal? Didn't we ban forced eugenics and sterilization and the like after the 40s in the USA?

If not, mega yikes.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Slimy Hog posted:

I broke my foot yesterday and can't get a cast until next week. If the bone moves too much between now and then I'll need surgery.

I have a 3 year old and a very active hobby that requires my feet to be in tip-top shape, so needless to say I'd like a quick and full recovery. Please pray for me.

Chaplet incoming. If you got Legos, might be a good way to distract the kiddo.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
No one in this thread is trying to justify conservatorship or say that it's a good thing in that situation, that's the like the complete opposite of what folks have said in this thread, myself included. A lot of people are just shocked that a situation like this could have happened in the 21st century in the USA.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Praise God for answered prayers 13.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Pray for Religious Minorities in Afghanistan at this time. The article starts off focusing on Christians but touches on Shia, Hindus, and Buddhists living in Afghanistan as well.

quote:

Now the United States’ highly criticized withdrawal has left Afghan Christians with no choice but to join those who cooperated with the U.S. and Afghan governments in attempting to hide. The memories of public executions, floggings and amputations of Christians and other religious minorities under the Taliban’s previous rule remain vivid. As the Taliban is reportedly already working to track down the known Christians on its list, some local church leaders are counseling their communities to stay inside their homes, even though they know the best and perhaps only long-term hope is to somehow flee the country. Other Christians are reportedly escaping to the hills in attempts to find safety.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

It's a tough addiction to fight but God and His Graces can free you. I had it pretty bad prior to getting married but my then-fiance (now wife) and a very Holy Priest helped me break it. There's still struggles sometimes (Another Priest once referred to it as "Satan likes to jingle old locks to see if they'll open"), and in my experience as I work on my sins I uncover more imperfections or flaws that have to be worked on, but it's just another step on the narrow road to Heaven.

A good piece of advice I got from another Priest was to watch out for HALT (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired), because your will is much lower at those times and temptation feels stronger. It's kinda corny but I find that it's true.

I'm probably rambling as usual, but I'll pray for you.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Whenever I articulate myself to goons they get offended. I appreciate the offer. Better to keep what I think on the inside when communicating with goons.

Most goons are weirdos. The goons in this thread tend to be less weird though.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
zonohedron summed up anything I was about to type way better. The only thing I'll add is that I feel this conversation, while touching on it, is to a degree overlooking the role of the fashion industry and stores in influencing people's especially women's warddrobes. At the risk of sounding like a post-modernist, what clothing people wear isn't just a combination of personal tastes and social situations, but also heavily influenced by whatever the fashion industry is currently pushing as trendy or hip. And between the incredibly quick cyclical nature of the industry and its tendency to push the envelope (modest is not a word most folks would use to describe it), they have a lot of influence on how folks dress. We may live in the age of the internet, with online clothes shopping, but most people still buy stuff in-person, for ease of trying it out, and that limits what they can buy.

I'll use my kids as an example. My wife and I are careful to buy our kids any clothing with messaging on it that strikes as ironic or demeaning (A shirt that says "Big Brother!" or "Mommy's cutie-pie" is fine, a shirt that says "All mom wanted was a back rub", etc., is not, my son's favorite shirt right now is a T-Rex playing guitar FYI), but the more we shop, it seems like retail is leaning more and more into the ironic/demeaning side. Luckily we have lots of options, but for parents who may not, their choices, and what their kids wear, is not 100% in their hands.

Hamish posted:

If what you see causes you to sin, that's on you, bro.

I mean, you also have St. Paul saying to older believers that if eating meat dedicated to idols encourages younger believers who are watching to sin by messing up, that the older believers for the younger ones' sakes, should be nice and not eat the meat. The sin's still on the younger believer, but out of compassion/love, the older believer ought to help in what way they can. Again, zonohedron summed up anything I just typed way better.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 14, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I spoke to a dude from his church filming him and they were actually anabaptist (I was surprised by this) and extremely angry and filled with grievance about persecution from the reformation era. They were naming specific events.

Speaking of the Reformation/Counter-Reformation, sometimes I like to use resources from the New York Regents New Visions website (https://curriculum.newvisions.org/social-studies/course/10th-grade-global-history/). I was looking over their resources on the Reformation. They had a packet where it gave 3 examples of the Catholic Church burning people at the stake, and then a page on John Calvin and why Protestants liked him so much (Basically it said he wrote books and led Geneva as a leader). No mention whatsoever of the dozens of stakeburnings he ordered while in Geneva, or other Protestant leaders and their antics.

Suffice it to say I avoided that particular packet.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Tias posted:

That kind of anachronism is super duper common among nordic heathens. People will still grog about the burning of the Irminsul pillar or the 'violent conversion' of 'their homelands', or even accuse each other of christian thinking, which is just insane given that no thought has been given to converting heathens by christians in who knows how many hundreds of years.

Through a hobby group I had contact with a self-proclaimed Nordic Heathen. He went crazy over some silly Easter meme (About appropriating Toyota-thon of all things) and I could tell something was just really off when we "debated" (One thing he kept trying to do was define Christianity as an "Asian" and foreign religion, compared to "Nordic heathenry"). He definitely had the whole "Christians were mean to us" vibe going, while simultaneously talking about how much more manly and powerful heathenry was.

It was... different. I had to block him eventually because the conversation was going nowhere. I do know that sort of butthead is not indicative of all neo-pagan/heathens though. Just my first direct encounter with one.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

zonohedron posted:

If you're a man of average goon age in the United States you'll have to fend off a billion offers to join the Knights of Columbus, that's all.

Just noting, even if you can't join, they still might let you help out. Maybe they have some good charity programs you might want to participate on. My council just finished a diaper drive, supported the local food pantry, and provided a rest stop for our annual Bike Ride for Vocations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

This mod was started by a Goon, Ofaloaf, and then taken over by a different dev team when Ofa got too busy. They've done pretty good with it.

Nothing better than being the Catholic King of Ohio fighting off Consumerist hordes.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Freudian posted:

I'm sorry do they have crowns floating above them. Royalty must not be presented with even the burden of a heavy hat!

It's probably just because they are pretenders to the throne. If they were *actual* royalty they would wear the crowns of their Houses, but since they only claim the thrones with no backing, they have symbolic crowns.

EDIT: VVVV Figures VVV

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 1, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My stay at the Monastery ends soon and I just got off the phone with the Vocations Director. I will be moving forward with formation. In November I will be coming back to the Monastery to get health and wellness checks and assuming that that and all the paperwork go through I will be entering the Monastery in January as a postulant. For the uninitiated a postulant lives the life of work and prayer (and recreation) but without vows so I will be called by my baptismal name and wear civilian clothes, not a habit. I am very excited for this opportunity; I did not think this would happen for my life. Thank you all for your support, good thoughts, and prayers.

Congrats Brother, May your path towards a new vocation be filled with joy and God's Grace.

quote:

This is just my from the hip observation but I’ve noticed that if you’re not used to cooking from scratch, anything made that way tasted amazing even if it’s not foodie grade blowing your socks off. Fresh ingredients and spending time in the kitchen makes all the difference.

100%. My wife is a dietitian and grew up with fresh home-cooked meals every day. Even though we both work we make sure most of our meals are home-made as well, it's definitely better than 99% of store-bought stuff, even if it is a big time commitment.

Frozen pizza still tastes better though, it's all the salt.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

D34THROW posted:

So I realized something interesting. A lot of religious art depicts Jesus with long, flowing hair. It seems to me like the Bible was ignored when creating these.

Like...seriously? Did they just ignore the New Testament or was this some Anglo-centric ideology that Christ, as God incarnate, must have been the perfect Anglo-Saxon, completely ignoring the referenced passages, number one, and the fact that he was a Jew in the Middle East straddling the line between B.C.E. and C.E.?

Early Byzantine and Catholic imagery (Including the Shroud of Turin) depicts Christ with long hair, so it's not an Anglo-Saxon tradition.

Also, our definition of long hair versus early Jewish/Christian interpretations are different.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/if-st-paul-says-long-hair-is-unnatural-for-men-why-do-our-portraits-of-jesus-show-him-with-it

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I will pray my Rosaries this week for you Docbeard

magic cactus posted:

Howdy.

I've been pondering some things vis-a-vis lust and sex, and I was wondering if anyone could point me to some scholarly works on the question of lust and just what it's supposed to be from a Catholic perspective. Like I understand that from the perspective of the Church things like masturbation and premarital sex are seen as sins, but I'm trying to get a handle on why those are sins, as well as just elucidate my own Catholic perspective on the question of lust.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

St. Augustine's writings might be a good place to start, not perhaps in the explanation of why those things are sins, but in that before he converted, he was living a pretty debaucherously lifestyle and doesn't shy away on writing about it, or his struggles to convert from it.

I guess these wouldn't count as 'scholarly', but this might be a good place to start: https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/masturbation-mortal-sin.html I know Bishop Barron and Father Mike Schmitz have done youtube videos on this topic as well. The Catholic Talk Show is also really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTgBQ0uP-8

Request for prayers for myself too, I had 2 root canals on some teeth 2 months ago, had them capped a month ago, and now one of them feels like its sitting on swollen gums/is being pushed up. Could be an infection if the root wasn't entirely cleaned out. Would be a pain in the butt to have it all redone and re-crowned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Maybe I'm wrong but I feel in the Bible there are passages that refer to some people as being closer to God than others, not because God plays favorites but because some people are better at or more willing to follow His Divine Will. Folks who jump to mind are King David or John the Baptist. But my Catholic background has always indicated those people (I.E. Saints) to be role models for us all, not a separate class that the average folk can never hope to be like.