Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Some thoughts on Judaism:
Post WW2 and the founding of Israel Judaism is considered by many, possibly most Jews to be a matter of heritage at least as much as a faith system.
This outlook is well supported by tradition as a 'converted Jew' historically was the common way to refer to a person rather than acknowledging their new spiritual outlook and a new convert to Judaism is referred to as an ex-gentile.
some traditions call for honoring ex-gentiles as they came over by choice but there are of course dickheads who refuse to acknowledge a new convert and their offspring as proper Jews.

A bit from wikipedia

quote:

Indeed, the great-niece of the renowned Zionist Nahum Sokolow was recently deemed "not Jewish enough" to marry in Israel, after she failed to prove the purity of Jewish blood for four generations.

I have a love-hate relationship with my heritage, I despise this sort of regressive xenophobia especially in a faith which otherwise encourages debate and open-mindedness.
In a very real way modern Jewish thought just went to sleep and left the worst conservative shitheads to guard the gate.

that's enough for this post, please add your thoughts as jews or gentiles or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

A quick thumbing through the wiki article makes the SBC sound like all the 'Bad Christians' characters I see on the media but this gave me pause:

Wikipedia posted:

The word Southern in Southern Baptist Convention stems from it having been organized in 1845 at Augusta, Georgia, by Baptists in the Southern United States who split with northern Baptists over the issue of slavery, with Southern Baptists strongly opposed to its abolition.

:stare: Why the gently caress would they keep this name for the church? Just one step removed from "The Slavery YAY Baptist Tabernacle" .

E: hey Tias, I'm def gonna read your thread reconstruction religious traditions are a thing I know nothing about.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 13, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

If this thread devolves into cute cat gifs, I'd be ok with that.

the animist worship of moving feline pictures is the fastest growing religion ever!
for fun I made up the name of an Arameic cult for that and I'm gonna leave it around wherever I go.
צַלְמָת שִׁינָרָא נָיְידָא (tzalmat shinra nay'da)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The splittings and persecutions between religious sects who believe basically the same things are endlessly confounding to me.
That horse though is cool and that is plain to see.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Be true to yourself and your own spiritual truth friend.
That many religious conversions must have been a hell of a trip, did you ever write down a lengthy thread about that?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That's just the thing that was in the back of my mind ever since I've read "Flow my tears said the police man" and the wiki article about it: people do evil and think that they get away with it but we are all being judged.
Whether humanity invented God to explain the necessity of of a conscience or whether it was the other way we are all being judged, so we should try to become better than we are.

Phillips K. Dick book title hidden for possible spoilers

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Josef bugman posted:

The book sounds on the weirder end of things, the synopsis and overarching themes also seem weird as all heck.

Yes that's Phillip K Dick, this book is nowhere near his most trippy works.
I wonder what a theological minded Christian would make of "The three stigmata of Palmer Eldritch"

E: Eldritch not Eldridge

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 21, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Shaddak posted:

If I recall correctly, the basic idea goes like this: In the beginning, God created us as beings of pure spirit (with no physical component). And in that initial state, all was well, we understood the true nature of reality, and the true nature of our relationship with God. Though we are beings of spirit, we are imperfect, and as imperfect beings we are susceptible to Error. That is where the illusion comes in.

You see, an error crept into our understanding of our true relationship with God. As pure beings of spirit, we cannot suffer from ailments of a physical nature. Death, injury, and illness (and even evil) don't actually exist. They are an illusion created by Error. The physical world, itself, is an illusion created by our belief that we are separate form God.

This is where Practitioners come in. They're basically the faith healers of CS. Instead of a laying on of hands, though, it's more like a therapy session. They talk you through your problems, and help you to realize that your problems only exist because you think they do. Have an injury, or illness? It will disappear once you come to understand that injury and illness do not exist. Stuff like that.

That brings us to the J-Man. Jesus was a pure being of spirit and, knew this. He was capable of seemingly miraculous deeds because he knew that the physical world wasn't real. He popped in to show us that we are not bound by self-imposed limitations. If we can understand the true nature of our spiritual union with God, then we will transcend the illusion of the physical world and, will exist in perfect union with God.

That is not an idea that I as a Jew living in Israel ever encountered in the real world, but it seems rather close to ideas I've read about in some Gnostic influenced roleplaying games.
Is Gnostic influence a thing in modern Christian sects or is this purely by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can confirm, Commandment #11 is "Fritz is the best horse"

(#12 is eat some veggies you guys, ffs)