Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tag!

I'm Tias, a reconstructionist norse heathen / animist, which I guess is a bit less strange than your regular vikingaboo since I actually live in Scandinavia. My thread is linked in the prior sentence, but I'll be happy to answer neo-heathenry/paganism stuff itt as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

By popular demand posted:

A quick thumbing through the wiki article makes the SBC sound like all the 'Bad Christians' characters I see on the media but this gave me pause:

:stare: Why the gently caress would they keep this name for the church? Just one step removed from "The Slavery YAY Baptist Tabernacle" .

E: hey Tias, I'm def gonna read your thread reconstruction religious traditions are a thing I know nothing about.

Cool beans! It's only 8 odd pages at present, and if you have any questions just let me know.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's a good church. Have my local protestant church, Hyltebjerg Kirke, which is quite a paunchy chorchh:

Nth Doctor posted:

Hey faithGoons!
Since we're doing reintroductions: I'm a protestant congregationalist pastor's kid who had a brush with conservative evangelicalism in middle school and now identifies as a primarily-but-not-exclusively-christocentric universalist.

My Dad was a second career preacher, so I experienced growing up in a church as a regular congregant and then high school and college I was The Pastor's Son which let me see the role both from the inside and the outside.

I mostly lurk but do follow the conversations and try to grok how we all approach and experience the divine in our lives. To lean on one of my favorite metaphors, I like to see the many lamps we have from which shines one light.

That's cool. What do you recognize of deities besides Christ/G_d?

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 13, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

E: double postin'

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for places to purchase Catholic religious items? Like Etsy stores or something? I'd rather patronize artists than big stores.

Specifically I'm looking for a St. Francis of Assisi medallion for my brother and his girlfriend who recently got a big golden retriever (gf is very Catholic).

edit: I'd also welcome other suggestions for Catholic gifts related to Big Friendly Dogs.

The medallion is of course, for the fine dogge, yes?

The woman is very catholic, she'll have her own. But think of the dashing figure DevoutDogge will cut zooming around the place with Poor Francis on his collar!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dear Josef,

One benefit of self-examination that often appears in conjunction with a spiritual practice, is the realization that you are not unique. The doubts, self-loathing, fear and confusion, we all deal with it in our own way - and since you're talking to us, we can mirror those feelings and help you with them.

Also, keep in mind that the self is an extremely unreliable narrator, as is the fact that it's clothed in flesh. Everything from forgetfulness to hormones can give us the notion that we should despise ourselves, in spite of us having done nothing wrong at all.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Shower thoughts:

Does Jesus ever say in the bible that he is going to die for our sins? Or was it tacked on later to make sense of his death and/or prophecies?

Tias
May 25, 2008

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Hey all. I'm a lifelong Christian but a bit of an ecumenical mutt. I grew up Presbyterian though my dad was president of a Baptist seminary. I went to a Baptist church when I was in graduate school but am now attending a United Methodist church while teaching at a Nazarene University. I really appreciate the tenor of conversation in these threads that I've read, hope to contribute a bit more in the future.

Welcome! What's a nazarene university?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cool, a prestige class! What powers does it afford you? :v:

((you too! :kimchi: ))

Tias
May 25, 2008

The only stuff I remember about hutterites are that they still practice communal ownership of property and anti-resistance, that is, whatever the government of their locality does to them, they do not react against it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's me, I am the mushroom smoking bog mummy

No, seriously, wide experience with 2CX, ketamine, LSD, shrooms and a great deal of other entheogens, and I got to say that the religious experience couldn't be forced that way.

It can be a focus for religious practice, but I wouldn't say it's necessary, nor does it provide a lasting insight.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Not necessarily. God knowing how things will turn out is not the same as God willfully making things happen that way.

This is exactly the case in norse heathenry. Odin sacrifices himself (to himself), to learn the secret of everything, which unfortunately (or however you want to look at it) includes the secret of the end of the world, which he is powerless to stop or affect, even as it meanst his own death.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, it reads as kicking the can down the road to me as well. I don't personally find it a very compelling argument, given the existence of evil that occurs to those who are blameless, such as children abused by clergy (moral evil), or afflicted with crippling degenerative disorders (natural evil).

Active evils can't easily be defined in the terns if absences of good.

Not really on topic, but this is my atheist partners reply to most arguments of benevolent spiritual action: "What about the starving kids who have their eyes eaten by blowflies? Yeah, thought so."

Tias
May 25, 2008

ulmont posted:

Yes but Odin is only omniscient, neither omnipotent nor omnibenevolent.

Odin is definitely omnipotent. Not sure where you'd get that claim from.

White Coke posted:

Is she saying the blowflies are evil, or that God not stopping them is evil? Because while I can see the issues with the idea that evil is merely an absence of good, I think there is some value to it raising the question of whether evil is just a human label for things versus some kind of absolute moral principle beyond human definition.

God either not stopping it, or not designing a world without it, seems extremely pointless for a good God and/or universe.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

I think the terms get used a little sloppily and are often taken to mean the Abrahamic conception of God (or perhaps Allah) who may in some ways be understood as actively re-creating the universe each individual moment. In other words, God is essentially an active partner in all activities. Similarly this conception of omniscience suggests that God is actively watching all things at once. Are either of these presented as true for Odin? (Of course heathenry has had somewhat fewer formal theologians...)
This is a lot of why I don't think anyone created the universe at all, at least not on the cosmic level - there may have been powerful entities that have acted on the world with sufficient vigor to make "creation" meaningful.

Hm, interesting. Odin does not re-create the world constantly, to our knowledge - but he is omniscient. He specifically sacrificed first his life and then his eye, to gain knowledge of all things - and should something slip past, his two ravens view the entire world every day, and whisper those secrets in his ear every night.

White Coke posted:

But he can't prevent Ragnarok or otherwise change his fate.

God is omnibenevolent but the universe isn't, so bad things happening in a good place doesn't make it pure evil.

We've moved this to the heathenry thread, but essentially: Odin has power over more or less everything, but is bound by fate so Ragnarok is an exception, kinda.

I've tried going over the possible reasons for the blowflies things, but it seems like a crux of reasons a good God cannot exist to her. Some things are best to let lie, I think.

Tias fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 8, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Read it as the parable of talents or ninjas, and was not notably more confused.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Whoaaa forgiveness, awesome thread material! Thanks for bringing it up, even if I have to look at Bruenig. (Forgive me :haw: )

Forgiveness is central to healing, but nowhere more so than inside yourself. As many of you know I came to faith through the 12 step program, which is heavily christianized in places, and places forgiveness of yourself as central. You are made to go out to people you've wronged and apologize, but not seek forgiveness - you're supposed to make clear that you know now that what you did then was wrong, and if people have anything to add to what you did to them or (ideally) what you can do to make it better, they can say it without you defending yourself.

This has an enormous healing effect, because in admitting and not defending your prior 'broken-ness' or dishonesty, you attain some measure of forgiveness for past sins. This has been my experience anyway.

White Coke posted:

I'd also like to hear about the Islamic answer to the Problem of Evil. Reminds me of something I read about, that a Mongol Khan invited Christians, Muslims, and Buddhists to convince him about which religion to convert to, and that the Christians and Muslims teamed up because they were offended by the Buddhists.

I think the most common hang up is #3, the "why do good things happen to bad people?" conundrum. If God can do anything, he can stop anything and so why didn't he stop this or that bad thing? We've come up with a bunch of answers in this thread, and there are God knows how many more elsewhere, but we can't know for certain which of them are right because we lack divine perspective.

It really depends on who you ask in the islamic world. Zaydi and Twelvers are on the moral realist side of things, in that the moral value of acts is accessible to unaided reason, so that humans can make moral judgments about divine acts. They posited that individuals have free will to commit evil and absolved God of responsibility for such acts. God's 'making things right' more or less consists of punishing evildoers ex facto.

Older sunni thought insisted on ultimate divine transcendence and teaches that human knowledge regarding it is limited to what has been revealed through the prophets, so that on the question of God's creation of evil, revelation has to accepted bila kayfa (without [asking] how).

Somewhere in this period you also have the Ash'ari, argued that ordinary moral judgments stem from emotion and social convention, which are inadequate to either condemn or justify divine actions.

Anyway, on to Avicenna( Ibn Sina), who, while nominally Sunni, brought an analysis of teodice viewed through a neoplatonic ideal that was much followed from then on. He believed that God, as the absolutely good First Cause, created a good world. Avicenna argued that evil refers either to a cause of an entity (such as burning in a fire), being a quality of another entity, or to its imperfection (such as blindness), in which case it does not exist as an entity. Thus, such qualities are necessary attributes of the best possible order of things, so that the good they serve is greater than the harm they cause.

Tias
May 25, 2008

BattyKiara posted:

How do you seek out people who you have lost all contact with, you have no way of contacting, or even dead people? Apologies if that is too personal.

Not at all! There are two means of making amends to those you have lost all contact with:

A) Symbolic. With the dead, you might write a long letter, and place it or burn it by their grave. Alternatively, you can share it with a sponsor or other person, like someone who knew them.

B) "A lifelong amend", which is to say that you think on what you did wrong to the person in question at some interval (yearly would work), and consider how you can change your life and actions to be more in accordance with a way that helps others, and not to treat them in the way you treated the person in question.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Good lord(s), how many ADHD folks are in this thread? I count 4, myself not included.

Tias
May 25, 2008

ᛖᛄᚱ, at ᛗᛖᚾᛚᛡᛞs knee, give White Cokes father and his doctors healing hands throughout their lives.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Welcome CarpenterWalrus!

Is there not, or did there not use be, 'theistic satanists', who worship a more classic ideal of Satan as the Anti-God? I could have sworn I heard about this back when I was checking out satanism myself, but it's like twenty years ago and I can't remember.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my mom just informed me her church has to-go communion kits. there's 2 little pouches you peel back, one for the bread and one for the wine

e: update, she also says "last time i had run out of the to-go packs so i used an almond cracker and a swig of kombucha"

That is some serious transsubstantiation right there

Tias
May 25, 2008

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Where is Guns? Why isn't he posting more?

He's doing fine, and hangs out on the discords, among them the one for this thread. Come say hi!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Aren't there a sect of radical Jain who, upon taking their vow, sits down in one place completely still without eating or drinking until they die?

Tias
May 25, 2008

A phd in norse animism recently put up a pretty funny academic takedown of anti-christianity in the norse heathen milieus, I thought you guys would get a kick out of it:

Rune Hjarnø posted:

1) It prevents the development of knowledge and thinking with weirdly anti-dogmatic dogma, that impedes thinking and dialogue, because positions can not really be assumed, tested against each other and developed. Someone will often close down the process of thought with some relativist dogma about agreeing to disagree. (this is an extremely prominent feature of DK heathens)
(Heathendom has to be ignorant – 2-0 to Charlemagne)

2) Then there is the whole Viking thing. Need I even say the word self-ridicule? - A good friend recently hit the nail on its head: “Its like wearing a banana skirt!”.- And here is an image of a contemporary scholar working on the moral philosophy of 18th century thinker Immanuel Kant - I wonder why he never got university tenure!
(Heathendom is ridiculous– 3-0 to Charlemagne)

this guy

3) There is an ideology of radical decentralizing and egalitarianism. This makes it difficult for anyone to build anything, because social positions and social structures are seen as inherently problematic. This devotion to non-structure is often expressed in explicitly Lutheran terms, as for instance the criticism of “Asa-popery”, which somehow condenses the notion that social structure in itself is evil.
(Heathendom is incapable of civilization - 5-0 to Charlemagne)
-
Paradoxically, this anarchic node is followed by another internalization of Protestantism, and that is functionalism. Heathens constantly obsess about social structure and how their different structurings or non-structurings are really somehow the core of religiousity.

this gif was included below 3:

4) Anti-christianity also produces a horribly counterproductive relation to one’s own sources and religious tradition, i.e. the quest for pre-christianity. Here Christianity becomes a source of contamination to the imagined purity and cultural unambiguity of Heathendom. Many Heathens see valid knowledge mostly in one kind of scholarship. That is the kind that looks for historical evidence of pre-christian beliefs and practices. Out of methodological necessity this kind of scholarship is predicated on source criticism, because it’s sources are from Christianity-hybrid contexts and Christian biases of the data need to be identified and filtered out. Therefore it implies rejection of large part of tradition, because it’s hybrid character makes it difficult to discern what might be Christian.

The result is secluding Heathendom in an impossible sphere as a purely hypothetic, almost non-existant phenomenon, perpetually excluded from establishing any kind of credibility, because it’s only source of credibility is an essentially inattainable non-hybrid imagined past.
-
aaaaaand the final score is - wait for it - here it comes:
7-0 to Charlemagne!

Later addendum:
I believe that consideration of these internalizations of Christian oppression have to be the starting point to produce contemporary Nordic religion

Tias
May 25, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I honestly have no idea and that's one reason I'm skeptical of the practice. Then things are further clouded by the fact that there seem to be two different phenomenon that are both referred to as 'speaking in tongues' in the NT.

I had a friend who tried every radical sect he could in his quest for meaning, and he said that in the charismatic and pentecostal groups he joined, you just picked it up by listening to others doing it, but that there were no rules to the language, nor any interpretation.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

We’ve got an elk herd close to that where I live. They tolerate runners and bikers. Dogs and particularly aggressive photographers get the why don’t you gently caress off display.

On occasion we'll have a major loving accident with elk in Scandinavia, most often when a bull gets completely hosed up on fermented fruit and charges a car intersection.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hot drat:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...lX9wIC2TvZOCuF4

Tias
May 25, 2008

Uuuh guys he specifically thought it was okay to murder asian american women and discard their bodies like garbage on the ground. The fact that US politicians and media talk about his tragic addiction or bad day or whatever is because they hate asians as well, not because he doesn't.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Islam works the same way (tm)

You're supposed to have the spiritual benefits of fast, but health is paramount in most schools of jurisprudence, and if you're ill, elderly or a child, then god doesn't mind.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Don't make me post the Orthodox hymn trap remixes again!

Tias
May 25, 2008

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I absolutely agree with that.

I also want to provide a coda of sorts to my ranting by mentioning that Satanism, too, has restrictions on the sexual behaviors of its followers. Satanists are prohibited from having sex with children and from any sex act that doesn't involve consent. In this way, LaVey hoped to control the behavior of people who would otherwise be inclined to be pedophiles or rapists. To that end, I'd argue he's had more success than any Christian sect, but this is likely an issue of scale. LaVey didn't specifically prohibit homosexual sex, but described it as personally distasteful and un-masculine. This attitude has influenced the Church of Satan's behaviors towards queer people in unfortunate ways that are only recently being addressed.

There seems to be quite a disconnect between LaVey as a bible writer and LaVey on his off time. I have several interviews with him in, I believe, Modern Primitives (a body art/piercing/kink stuff magazine), where he comes off extremely weird, saying that most people are basically zombies and should be controlled, and that some personal expressions are gross and should stop. I chalk it up to him doing cocaine with Psychic TV at the time, but it still shook my perception of him as a rather bright chap.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Not strictly true. The sciences have long imagined dimensions that transcend both time and space, but as I always say, don't be surprised if you find a whoole lotta angry gods behind the doors you open.

Tias
May 25, 2008

This is kind of already baked into a lot of faiths. Paradise / Kingdom of God, the new God-cycle coming after the Kali-yuga, the new world growing from the ashes of Ragnarok, etc.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That owns

Tias
May 25, 2008

Shaddak posted:

I saw this posted in another thread, and I thought the posters here might get a kick out if it.

This touches on a lot of interesting things! The first many baptists in Denmark went straight to jail because of their tenet of adult baptism, which was seen as subversive and dangerous at the time. I believe it got outlawed in 1741 by the Konventikel Plakaten (which I suppose translates to the Conventicle Act, though the literal translation would be 'Conventicle Poster', perhaps a new moniker for our baptist goons? - A 'conventicle' is a religious meeting, and it was at these the many outlawed sects did stuff the main church did not approve of), which also banned sermons by traveling preachers and indeed any religious meeting outside of official church rooms.

Getting control of the baptists was only a desired side-effect, as the Konventikel was primarily concerned with the actions of reknowned Pietists like Hans Nielsen Hauge, Carl Olof Rosenius and Peter Spaak. Their Pietism placed the personal relation with God outside the control of the state, and so it was considered dangerous for christian unity (and state control, natch).

It didn't work out well (surprise!), and some time in the 1700s we decided to take the sting off the Pietist revolution by, uh, adopting Pietism as our state religion! Still, it was the Hallensian branch that got used, as it had a more positive view of state and church.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Militant politicized evangelism is a republican death cult with very few ties to actual christendom. I'd caution you against trying to reason people out of a position they never used reason to get into. Best you can do is to offer yourself as a way out when some of them inevitably crack from all the fear and abuse.

Also, abortion chat is kinda one of the subjects we'd rather not discuss in here.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Spacegrass posted:

I listen to a lot of Satanic death/black metal bands. Sometimes I wonder wtf are these people doing to get that energy about Satan. I guess its mostly symbolic. I listen to it because they are really good musicians. I probably should not listen to them being a Christian though. If Satan exist and God sends people to Hell, I'm screwed. Maybe there's some bands "down there" though.

I've been reading Anton LaVey books since my teen years. They are humanistic books mainly (besides the chapter on -( "making the choice for a human sacrifice") which scares the hell out of me if people are actually doing that. But, I would not doubt they are doing this with all the crazy people in the world killing people.

As someone who was always deep into the Standing Outside God Covered In The Blood of the Goat (tm) TrVe cVlt milieu:

Some bands fake it for the rep, others are laveyans, still others practice theist satanism, and most are just metal enthusiasts with big egos who employ a cultural and musical tradition to feel awesome and be (in)famous.

Actual human sacrifice from a satanist band would be an extreme outlier, and I haven't heard about any yet, though I've definitely been interested and looked.

Tias
May 25, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

What are your favorite places in Rome??? Making. Travel plan...

Outside of Rome by Lazio you'll find Tivoli, which was kind of the leisure area of Papal Rome. You can still see the magnificient homes of Cardinals and Popes today, one of which is a UNESCO world heritage site. I've never been, but my Italian acquaintance who's an art historian from Rome's university maintains that it's the most beautiful place in Italy.

E: and they're unearthing a huge rear end temple to Hercules now!

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 16, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

And I mean, a large percentage of indigenous people in the US and Canada are Catholic (or other denominations of Christianity, with a lot of syncretic beliefs) and cherish their faith.

Spotted Tail was a Lakota chieftain probably most famous for advocating education as the way forward for his people, he visited Washington DC and was so impressed by "the men in black robes" he specifically requested the Jesuits come establish missions to educate the people. The Jesuits took their jobs very seriously and put a lot of effort into writing down the language, cataloguing traditional culture and spirituality, medicinal uses of plants.

The ends don't justify the means, certainly. It is okay to acknowledge there were some positives things to come out of the Catholic missions on reservations while never forgetting the horrors.

Several of my lakota/mexican/apache teachers have ancestors who included Jesus in their pantheon, though not to the exclusion of the great spirit. Thanks for the reccommendation!

magic cactus posted:

My question is, did I, through my words and actions, sin against my friend? I know that in her words I broke her heart and made her cry, and that makes me feel terrible. Not that it counts for much, but I took pains to not be mean or accusatory in my language. I genuinely took every precaution I could not to hurt her, but I still did. Honestly, hurting her hurt more than the heartbreak of not having my feelings returned. My thought process on the whole thing is that "I hurt her now so that I don't risk hurting her more down the line." Good intentions basically, and I know what they say about those vis-a-vis the road to hell.

I definitely feel a disquiet in my heart about what I did. I lost the friendship of somebody very important to me, somebody who genuinely cared about me as a person and helped me grow through most of the previous decade of my life. But I feel like I made the right choice. I just don't know what my faith says about this. Googling around, all I can find are articles about "what to do if a friend hurts you" and nothing about when you're the one who failed or is at fault. Other than "To all things a season, and to every season its time" in Ecclesiastes, I've found little by way of comfort.

I would appreciate any perspectives or thoughts (Catholic or not) you all might have.

Thanks for reading!

Not christian so others will have an easier time analyze the christian merits, but I would caution you against letting feelings of sinning exarcabate an already painful situation.

Do you view yourself or your feelings as so destructive that you can't ever be her friend? 'Cause life is a long time, and you may hit a day where those feelings aren't bugging you.

We nordic heathens would recommend that you fight for her heart, but our theology is very old and backwards when it comes to women :) No means no, though it can be crushingly difficult to accept.

Tias
May 25, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Did anybody post this in here? I didn't see it. It's a breakdown of Census results or religion in America.
https://www.prri.org/research/2020-census-of-american-religion/

No one answered BAPTIZED_TATAR, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I had this done, and all they said was I had to lose weight :p I hope everything shakes out for you!